Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

crunk dork
Jan 15, 2006

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

Didn't you start like 2 months ago or something? Congrats regardless, just curious.

Yeah like 3-4, had a ton of downtime to study for a couple certs and play around with stuff and decided to see what kind of spots I could get offered. I definitely feel like I'm in over my head a little on this upcoming job but that's good because it means I'll be forced to learn things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

KillHour posted:

We're not all terrible. :sigh:

Counterpoint: You're a sales engineer that actually knows the product you're selling

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

Zaepho posted:

Do any of the Recruiter Goons in the thread have an insight into the Houston job market? I'm thinking harder and harder about making a change. I'm a fairly senior Private Cloud/System Management/Operations guy (Hyper-V and System Center) if that makes any difference.

Any advice on finding a solid recruiter or is trolling the job boards the best bet?

Seconding this. I am looking for Austin/Dallas and I am not getting a ton of traction.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Gyshall posted:

gently caress Sales People Forever

B-But money

Anyways, time to learn Python then :coffee:

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

mayodreams posted:

Seconding this. I am looking for Austin/Dallas and I am not getting a ton of traction.

I've had multiple unrelated recruiters contact me about various mid-level admin jobs Home Depot is trying to fill in Austin (and Atlanta, if it matters), that may be something to look into. I'm nowhere near that area, don't know if them casting a wide net means they're having trouble finding people or what.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

crunk dork posted:

Put in my two weeks today to move from desktop support at a public school to SysAdmin at an actual tech company... No more projector bulbs (hopefully) :yotj:

This is how I feel, but with laser printers. I'm really hoping that with my field service experience, this helpdesk experience, and some scripting experience, I can hop into a junior network/sysadmin position without having to go back to touching printers. I can usually fix what's wrong with a printer, it's just that (as I've probably said a million times in here) I have to wear disposable clothes because there's always toner hiding somewhere.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

crunk dork posted:

Yeah like 3-4, had a ton of downtime to study for a couple certs and play around with stuff and decided to see what kind of spots I could get offered. I definitely feel like I'm in over my head a little on this upcoming job but that's good because it means I'll be forced to learn things.

Congrats :yotj: If your next job doesn't feel at least a bit over your head, you're probably going to bored as hell really quick.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
thanks to a kind goon who recommended a university for me to go back for a 2nd bachelors I have graduated, have a bunch of certs, recently started applying and have tons of interviews

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
Has anybody done one of the online degree programs? I'm looking at Oregon State University, and they have a pretty interesting CS major for people who already have a degree in something else.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

ElGroucho posted:

Has anybody done one of the online degree programs? I'm looking at Oregon State University, and they have a pretty interesting CS major for people who already have a degree in something else.

I did WGU, it was my 2nd bachelors. No employers have cared that it is online at all, and a few were even interested. Like anything you do online, I think it is all about what you put into it. When I was studying for my CCNA I bought switches and routers, did tons of labs, etc, but if I had wanted to I probably could have just downloaded a brain dump and passed it.

WGU is cheap, the mentors are quick to respond, most of the course work is pretty good, etc.

Each term is 6 months and the same price no matter how many courses you complete. Books and the cost of the vouchers/testing center stuff are all included in tuition. They also have a really big library, access to a bunch of online vids that you can study outside of your coursework, etc. I'm pretty happy with how it all turned out tbh.

eonwe fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Mar 24, 2015

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

ElGroucho posted:

Might as well go for a master's at that point. Most programs will let you in provisionally so long as you take 1-2 undergrad courses to prove you're competent.

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

Eonwe posted:

I did WGU, it was my 2nd bachelors. No employers have cared that it is online at all, and a few were even interested. Like anything you do online, I think it is all about what you put into it. When I was studying for my CCNA I bought switches and routers, did tons of labs, etc, but if I had wanted to I probably could have just downloaded a brain dump and passed it.

WGU is cheap, the mentors are quick to respond, most of the course work is pretty good, etc.

Each term is 6 months and the same price no matter how many courses you complete. Books and the cost of the vouchers/testing center stuff are all included in tuition. They also have a really big library, access to a bunch of online vids that you can study outside of your coursework, etc. I'm pretty happy with how it all turned out tbh.

WGU also gives you course credit for any certifications you might have.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
Also a WGU alumni, it was a great program, and I've never run in to issues with employers.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
What's their BS in Software Development like?

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
This may be more appropriate for another thread, but is anyone familiar with this?

https://www.launchcode.org/apply

I'm living in Atlanta and working for a managed services company and desperately wanting to change career fields. Currently studying for A+ cert - probably able to pass in a month or two and hoping to get a good mid-term goal in place to seamlessly change fields without terribly disrupting income. Biggest hurdle is that my wife is in grad school and not working, so we're living off my salary, and will be hard to take a hit if I move.

insidius
Jul 21, 2009

What a guy!
You know I can not say that at this time the dexamphetamine is super helping with my concentration and focus however its having a huge impact on the chances of me exploding and
telling people to go gently caress them selves. To be honest this aspect alone is a huge improvement.

As a 27 year old adult I should never be exploding like that, I have found its rare to non existent while medicated.

*edit*

This was super the wrong thread :( Ill leave it here so it does not look like I was hiding anything, my bad.

insidius fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Mar 25, 2015

stuxracer
May 4, 2006

Hopefully you are working on it with methods other than medication (a shrink) as well.

insidius
Jul 21, 2009

What a guy!

stuxracer posted:

Hopefully you are working on it with methods other than medication (a shrink) as well.

Yup, have an appointment in an hour actually. I usually catch up every week or second week. Nice guy and I appreciate
having someone to talk to in all honesty.

edit: wrong thread, goddamnit guys my bad.

insidius fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Mar 25, 2015

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

skylined! posted:

This may be more appropriate for another thread, but is anyone familiar with this?

https://www.launchcode.org/apply

I'm living in Atlanta and working for a managed services company and desperately wanting to change career fields. Currently studying for A+ cert - probably able to pass in a month or two and hoping to get a good mid-term goal in place to seamlessly change fields without terribly disrupting income. Biggest hurdle is that my wife is in grad school and not working, so we're living off my salary, and will be hard to take a hit if I move.

"Bootcamps" are, in general, not worth it at all. What do you actually do now that an A+ would be a good career goal?

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

evol262 posted:

"Bootcamps" are, in general, not worth it at all. What do you actually do now that an A+ would be a good career goal?

In short, nothing to do with IT. I am a 'child of the internet age' and very much interested in IT as a career swap; vastly more so than my current career field, which is contracted food service. I make a respectable salary and am moving through the ranks quickly enough but it's not sustainable long-term; not for me. My most transferable asset is managerial experience - both of managed revenue volume and staff - however I lack the technical know-how and looking for all avenues and resources to support a smooth transition, if at all possible; and A+ cert seemed like an appropriate place to start.

I'm OK with hearing that I'm wrong. I feel fully capable, but don't want to waste time focusing energy in the wrong direction.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

skylined! posted:

My most transferable asset is managerial experience - both of managed revenue volume and staff -
Just remember, IT people don't need the same thing out of a manager that your average part time food service worker does. Read this.
http://www.computerworld.com/article/2527153/it-management/opinion--the-unspoken-truth-about-managing-geeks.html

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

adorai posted:

Just remember, IT people don't need the same thing out of a manager that your average part time food service worker does. Read this.
http://www.computerworld.com/article/2527153/it-management/opinion--the-unspoken-truth-about-managing-geeks.html

I actually like it, but I couldn't help but feel there's a current of arrogance through the whole piece. But then again, that does kind of back up the point he's making :)

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

flosofl posted:

I actually like it, but I couldn't help but feel there's a current of arrogance through the whole piece. But then again, that does kind of back up the point he's making :)
I like how he likens IT professionals to doctors. It's the a field where only your peers can really judge your work, and it's populated by incredibly smart people, so of course egos run wild.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

adorai posted:

I want to argue, because a lot of the same needs herein are expressed by my staff and I do everything I can to fulfill them (inconsistent continuity between departures and promotions literally ruins my nights and weekends), but I will instead say thank you and continue reading.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

So...a bunch of specialized narcissistic children. Sounds like managing chefs.

(edit before immolation - just kidding and not trying to be offensive - I'm more interested in learning how to get a foot in the door than worrying about how to manage in the sector)

skylined! fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Mar 25, 2015

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

This is how I feel, but with laser printers. I'm really hoping that with my field service experience, this helpdesk experience, and some scripting experience, I can hop into a junior network/sysadmin position without having to go back to touching printers. I can usually fix what's wrong with a printer, it's just that (as I've probably said a million times in here) I have to wear disposable clothes because there's always toner hiding somewhere.
Storage is the printers of the datacenter.

KennyTheFish
Jan 13, 2004

skylined! posted:

So...a bunch of specialized narcissistic children. Sounds like managing chefs.

(edit before immolation - just kidding and not trying to be offensive - I'm more interested in learning how to get a foot in the door than worrying about how to manage in the sector)

Difference is chefs have knives, and throw things more.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

You might just be watching too much Hell's Kitchen.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

skylined! posted:

In short, nothing to do with IT. I am a 'child of the internet age' and very much interested in IT as a career swap; vastly more so than my current career field, which is contracted food service. I make a respectable salary and am moving through the ranks quickly enough but it's not sustainable long-term; not for me. My most transferable asset is managerial experience - both of managed revenue volume and staff - however I lack the technical know-how and looking for all avenues and resources to support a smooth transition, if at all possible; and A+ cert seemed like an appropriate place to start.

I'm OK with hearing that I'm wrong. I feel fully capable, but don't want to waste time focusing energy in the wrong direction.

Ok. I was curious because "managed services" has a totally different connotation in IT, and I thought you were already in the industry, but I couldn't picture what you'd be doing if you thought an A+ would be a step up.

An A+ is certainly a fine place to start, though, bluntly, a lot of it is woefully out of date. Just learning the things you'd need to know for the cert would go a long way in an interview.

But that kind of apprenticeship/bootcamp doesn't often yield good candidates. Companies are gun shy, and with good reason. It's a very complex industry with a lot of pitfalls, even in the specific niche that is webdev.

Moreover, there's not a quick way to the top in any industry. Is $15/hr a big pay cut? Probably? You can try applying for helpdesk/ops positions, but you may need to take a big pay cut, and that'd be very hard supporting your spouse. If her earning potential is good enough, maybe trying once she graduates is good.

Do you have a degree? That sometimes opens doors, primarily through networking.

Also, as noted, management isn't the same. It is, because it's people. It's not, because all of the non-people issues are totally different, and you broadly don't need to worry about scheduling odd hours, and...

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

A+ is a very much learn it yourself kinda thing, if I interviewed a guy who went to a bootcamp for A+ I'd be a little concerned.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

socialsecurity posted:

A+ is a very much learn it yourself kinda thing, if I interviewed a guy who went to a bootcamp for A+ I'd be a little concerned.

The boot camp apprenticeship/internship seems to be "we pair you with an experienced dev with a company and work you to death for a few weeks. Now you're a developer!

It isn't A+

E: I missed it earlier, but what bearing is " being a child of the internet age" supposed to have on anything?

evol262 fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Mar 25, 2015

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer

evol262 posted:

The boot camp apprenticeship/internship seems to be "we pair you with an experienced dev with a company and work you to death for a few weeks. Now you're a developer!

It isn't A+

E: I missed it earlier, but what bearing is " being a child of the internet age" supposed to have on anything?

It probably means like most people in their late teens/early twenties, they think they know a lot more about IT then they actually do.

My issues with the older generation revolve around not knowing where the power switch is or giving up when something unexpected happens. With younger people its more frequently "Well, it did this, so I googled it and tried this. And now it won't turn on!"

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Misogynist posted:

This is some Confucius level poo poo :stare: Although I'd argue it's truly databases and not the underlying storage.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Mrit posted:

It probably means like most people in their late teens/early twenties, they think they know a lot more about IT then they actually do.

I am a "child of the automotive age". I can drive a car. I can't fix one, build one, or design one :iiaca:

I'd argue that " children of the internet age" know just as little about how it works as the average person, and less than the average IT worker who isn't, even if they work in IT (purely by virtue of career length)

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

evol262 posted:

I am a "child of the automotive age". I can drive a car. I can't fix one, build one, or design one :iiaca:

I'd argue that " children of the internet age" know just as little about how it works as the average person, and less than the average IT worker who isn't, even if they work in IT (purely by virtue of career length)

Lemme know when you go all DAF on us. I think it's close.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Misogynist posted:

As long as storage won't ruin my favorite clothes, it's still a step up.

edit: Being of the internet age doesn't mean you know computers. But I wouldn't have had a chance of passing my A+ if I hadn't spent most of the decade prior building and fixing my own computers. Desktop hardware and software troubleshooting may not be relevant to DBAs or people working with servers and switches, but it's part of the entry level skillset.

22 Eargesplitten fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Mar 25, 2015

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

jaegerx posted:

Lemme know when you go all DAF on us. I think it's close.

You're gonna be waiting forever.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

22 Eargesplitten posted:

edit: Being of the internet age doesn't mean you know computers. But I wouldn't have had a chance of passing my A+ if I hadn't spent most of the decade prior building and fixing my own computers. Desktop hardware and software troubleshooting may not be relevant to DBAs or people working with servers and switches, but it's part of the entry level skillset.

A+ materials are a lot of fun though. I'm waiting on my textbooks from Amazon and checking out the online resources in the meantime. Did you know there's so many different cables? I esp enjoy the brief history of PCs section too.

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy

22 Eargesplitten posted:

As long as storage won't ruin my favorite clothes, it's still a step up.

Can't robocopy toner out of your lungs :suicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Alder posted:

Did you know there's so many different cables? I esp enjoy the brief history of PCs section too.

I know I'm *really* aging myself here, but you haven't lived until you've had to deal with V.35 serial connectors. Oh, and there's no real standard and some vendors liked to use custom pinning so they could charge $200 for a 1m cable. You'd think you could solve that by pinning every wire, but no, some systems would actually put epoxy in the unused female side on the system so you had no choice but to use their pinning. And rolling your own was *huge* pain in the rear end.

V.35 cables can suck a dick. That and VAX hard-drives (I worked for an insurance company in the mid/late 90s that required a VAX/VMS system to handle government stuff).