Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

Harton posted:

Kim is definitely betraying Jimmy for her career at HHM.

It'll be like killing Caesar :(

Kim's betrayal will hurt, but Chuck's will be worse. Et Tu, Chuck?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

Illinois Smith posted:

Chuck's actually worked cases this size before (I assume). I don't think his demand was unrealistic or a sign of losing it. The Sandpiper lawyer was clearly lowballing them with that settlement offer.

To be more precise, the one or two million was the offer Chuck came up with as the maximum Sandpiper would give as a "piss off" number when they realized Jimmy actually had a case. Chuck then realized during the meeting he was enjoying or feeling fulfilled by this and finally took it 100% seriously. Jimmy thought as a small time lawyer with his big shot brother mentoring him that was what the best they could hope for, hence why he throw out that initial number.

Illinois Smith posted:

The print job is how they'll most likely find out but it doesn't really matter. Chuck working the case away from the firm is the issue here, not 500 bucks of printing costs. Once things would actually start rolling there'd be no way to keep Chucks's involvement a secret, whether Hamlin found out through the press, lawyer gossip or whatever. A case like this would attract tons of attention.

It's quite clear Chuck is giving this case up to the firm, and just going to offer a finder fee or co chair to Jimmy next episode. Wouldn't surprise me if it was a co chair but with embarrassing stipulations attached to it that all but in name take Jimmy off the case.

NutritiousSnack fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Mar 24, 2015

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

the reason for the sudden 20mil was spelled out in the show: the size of the company, about which Jimmy would not really care since he's focused on one location and Chuck would have no way of knowing before the talk with the lawyers.

A RICO case of systematic fraud in locations across at least a couple states is much more solid and bigger than a RICO case held together by the fact of buying some stuff across state lines. Chuck just reacted to new info and while Jimmy is surprised at first, the next day he's shown to be working the angles with Chuck; presumably if he didn't actually end up agreeing with Chuck, they'd be arguing about taking a smaller settlement - they can give a more reasonable offer to the nursing home lawyers any time, after all

Finally, a bigger company is also always on the hook for more settlement money than a smaller one.

dex_sda fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Mar 24, 2015

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

PassTheRemote posted:

The thing is, will Hamlin get his comeuppance?

I sure hope so. It's like Dolores Umbridge, she wasn't the most evil character in the story, but it's a very recognizable and pointless evil so she and Hamlin are easily the most hated characters.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

btw this show is loving good. bob odenkirk is great

Secret Agent X23
May 11, 2005

Dave, this conversation can serve no purpose anymore.

Illinois Smith posted:

Jimmy's estimation was from the point of view of a former small-time grifter who now gives old ladies discounts on their wills and tries to haggle with parking lot attendants. Getting A MILLION DOLLARS is like the biggest amount of money he can picture without the sum becoming meaningless.

Chuck's actually worked cases this size before (I assume). I don't think his demand was unrealistic or a sign of losing it. The Sandpiper lawyer was clearly lowballing them with that settlement offer.

All this is true, and actually, I'm inclined to think in that direction. But the main thing that leads me to question it is wondering how Chuck arrives at that number on the basis of the documentation he's seen so far—even if we assume he's starting out high. I'm not sure he has enough info to think it's not batshit crazy for him to blurt out "twenty million" at that stage of the game.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Secret Agent X23 posted:

All this is true, and actually, I'm inclined to think in that direction. But the main thing that leads me to question it is wondering how Chuck arrives at that number on the basis of the documentation he's seen so far—even if we assume he's starting out high. I'm not sure he has enough info to think it's not batshit crazy for him to blurt out "twenty million" at that stage of the game.

Just look at the body language of the other lawyers when they're making their settlement offer, and how they keep bumping it up in mid-sentence. They're terrified, and Chuck picks up on that.

Cracker Baron
Dec 23, 2003
Isn't there a large printer printing while jimmy and Hamlin have the silent behind closed doors conversation? I think it's literally the only sound you can hear for a good 30 seconds or so.

I love the people who run the show. You know it's no coincidence that they did that after they later have a whole conversation about printing all of the info that Jimmy wants.

dimebag dinkman
Feb 20, 2003

I hope all nine of Mike's guys in prison in BB get their own elaborate backstories in BCS.

Secret Agent X23
May 11, 2005

Chamale posted:

Just look at the body language of the other lawyers when they're making their settlement offer, and how they keep bumping it up in mid-sentence. They're terrified, and Chuck picks up on that.

My read on the "bumping up" was simply that it's a way of trying to make an insultingly low offer appear to be more generous: "Our real offer is 46K, but because we're such nice guys, we'll stretch it out to 100K." But if Chuck is actually back to being the old Chuck, then yeah, he definitely saw something there, in the course of the meeting, and he's going for blood.

But still, I don't think Chuck and Jimmy can even be sure, at this point, that the fraud is systematic across all the facilities. That Jimmy caught them shredding documents would be a fairly compelling argument that it's systematic at the one location, though.

Interestingly, if you take the $20 million and divide it by twelve (the twelve facilities Chuck says the company has), you get $1.66 million per—fairly close to a number we've seen before.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Secret Agent X23 posted:

Interestingly, if you take the $20 million and divide it by twelve (the twelve facilities Chuck says the company has), you get $1.66 million per—fairly close to a number we've seen before.
Which one? The $1.2 million from the 4 days out cook?

Secret Agent X23
May 11, 2005

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Which one? The $1.2 million from the 4 days out cook?

I'm thinking of the Kettlemans' $1.6 million. Of course, Chuck isn't likely to tell Sandpiper he wants "nineteen point two million." He'd round it off.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Secret Agent X23 posted:

That just reminds me of Chuck telling Jimmy that the case is probably one to two million. Once he learns that there's a dozen facilities, that's $20 million of blood in the water.

Secret Agent X23
May 11, 2005

Chamale posted:

That just reminds me of Chuck telling Jimmy that the case is probably one to two million. Once he learns that there's a dozen facilities, that's $20 million of blood in the water.

Thank you (no, not sarcastic—that puts it together for me).

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
BCS intern just woke up and finally uploaded the podcast, for those who can grab it from Sony. I'm at work where streaming audio is blocked :(

Wanna hear about dat dumpster diaper :shrek:

edit:

BCS 101 Uno Live Discussion
Podcast Dropbox Mirror

BCS 102 Mijo Live Discussion
Podcast Dropbox Mirror

BCS 103 Nacho Live Discussion
Podcast Dropbox Mirror

BCS 104 Hero Live Discussion
Podcast Dropbox Mirror

BCS 105 Jello Alpine Shepherd Boy Live Discussion
Podcast Dropbox Mirror

BCS 106 Five-O Live Discussion
Podcast Dropbox Mirror

BCS 107 Bingo Live Discussion
Podcast Dropbox Mirror

BCS 108 Julie Ann Emery has a fantastic pairRICO Live Discussion
Podcast Dropbox Mirror

Takes No Damage fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Mar 24, 2015

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

I remember reading a quote from Odenkirk who said Episodes 6 and 9 would be real heavy and sad. 6 delivered, so next week should be bad. :(

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Barreft posted:

I remember reading a quote from Odenkirk who said Episodes 6 and 9 would be real heavy and sad. 6 delivered, so next week should be bad. :(

We're gonna find out what happened to Wayfarer 514.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

Takes No Damage posted:

BCS intern just woke up and finally uploaded the podcast, for those who can grab it from Sony. I'm at work where streaming audio is blocked :(

Wanna hear about dat dumpster diaper :shrek:

BCS 108 Julie Ann Emery has a fantastic pairRICO Live Discussion
Podcast Dropbox Mirror

dumpster chat doesn't start till the 57th minute

caldrax
Jan 21, 2001

i learned it from watching you
Thanks so much to the poster(s?) of the podcast links, I hate iTunes and will take any opportunity I can to get around using it.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

caldrax posted:

Thanks so much to the poster(s?) of the podcast links, I hate iTunes and will take any opportunity I can to get around using it.

No worries, it's easier for me to access as well. I don't watch much TV live anymore, but if I can contribute to the communities of top-tier stuff like BB and BCS in even this small way then it'SALL GOOD MAN :v:

MrPablo
Mar 21, 2003

Takes No Damage posted:

No worries, it's easier for me to access as well. I don't watch much TV live anymore, but if I can contribute to the communities of top-tier stuff like BB and BCS in even this small way then it'SALL GOOD MAN :v:

If you have a non-iTunes podcast client you can use the following URL as well:

http://movietouch.sony.com.edgesuite.net/podcasts/better_call_saul_v1/better_call_saul_insider_podcast.xml

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

I've, uh, never listened to, um, one of these, uh, podcasts before but, uh, are they, um, all like, uh, this?

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Fateo McMurray posted:

I've, uh, never listened to, um, one of these, uh, wonderful podcasts before but, uh, are they, um, all like, uh, this?

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Fateo McMurray posted:

I've, uh, never listened to, um, one of these, uh, podcasts before but, uh, are they, um, all like, uh, this?

That's a great question from the wonderful poster Fateo McMurray. He first posted in the Better Call Saul thread on, the I wanna say 45th, 46th, page? I can't remember, but he's been with us ever since and he just does a bang-up job, and we're lucky to have him posting.

Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses
This is better than the first season of BB in my humble opinion.

Beeez
May 28, 2012
This was a great episode. Even though it was a different kind of tension from a Breaking Bad episode, this episode had me so tense about how Jimmy was gonna get screwed over. I thought it was either gonna be by Chuck being unable to continue because of his issue, or HHM disrupting everything, but now it seems that both may happen.

As for the cold open, did anyone else think that maybe Hamlin was rejecting Jimmy because Chuck asked him to do so? Chuck was acting really weird when he found out Jimmy had passed the bar, so I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't actually Hamlin's doing.

Duro
May 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Is it too much to ask for, or that unreasonable to expect, that the season ends on a positive for Saul? I'd really like nothing more than that. Like, it seems like he's gonna get screwed based on what happens this past episode but he finds a way around it. That would make me happy.

I'll be pissed if it's a sad ending, even though I understand that it's the MO of the creators

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Duro posted:

Is it too much to ask for, or that unreasonable to expect, that the season ends on a positive for Saul? I'd really like nothing more than that. Like, it seems like he's gonna get screwed based on what happens this past episode but he finds a way around it. That would make me happy.

I'll be pissed if it's a sad ending, even though I understand that it's the MO of the creators

Yeah, it's probably unreasonable to expect. Vince Gilligan & Co are pretty much making GBS threads all over the idea of working hard to get ahead with BCS, so it wouldn't surprise me if Jimmy's hard work on this case just makes things worse for him. I mean, a pretty major plot point in this episode was Jimmy being rejected by someone who probably didn't work half as hard to get where he is.

Then again, who knows? Breaking Bad did some unexpected things, so maybe it'll all turn out alright. :)

Secret Agent X23
May 11, 2005

Beeez posted:

As for the cold open, did anyone else think that maybe Hamlin was rejecting Jimmy because Chuck asked him to do so? Chuck was acting really weird when he found out Jimmy had passed the bar, so I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't actually Hamlin's doing.

Possible, but then again, Chuck's weirdness may have been nothing more than knowing that Hamlin would squash the idea and not wanting to say it. I'd like to think so, anyway. But then yet again, if Chuck really didn't want him there in that capacity, I'm sure he could have asked Hamlin to be the bad guy, and Hamlin would be happy to oblige.

edit: Oh, and he finishes off with offering to "reassess in six months." Of course, I don't think anyone believes for the slightest fraction of a second that he has any intention of reassessing. But whatever he told him, it left open the possibility of the pretense.

Secret Agent X23 fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Mar 25, 2015

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

boom boom boom posted:

That's a great question from the wonderful poster Fateo McMurray. He first posted in the Better Call Saul thread on, the I wanna say 45th, 46th, page? I can't remember, but he's been with us ever since and he just does a bang-up job, and we're lucky to have him posting.

Fateo is actually one of my favorite posters, he gets douchbags so worked up and I love it.

Beeez
May 28, 2012

Secret Agent X23 posted:

Possible, but then again, Chuck's weirdness may have been nothing more than knowing that Hamlin would squash the idea and not wanting to say it. I'd like to think so, anyway. But then yet again, if Chuck really didn't want him there in that capacity, I'm sure he could have asked Hamlin to be the bad guy, and Hamlin would be happy to oblige.

edit: Oh, and he finishes off with offering to "reassess in six months." Of course, I don't think anyone believes for the slightest fraction of a second that he has any intention of reassessing. But whatever he told him, it left open the possibility of the pretense.

Yeah, that's what I mean, that he may have asked Hamlin to be the bad guy. Chuck seems like he was generally a shark, but he might chicken out if he had to turn down his own brother.

Interstitial Abs
Jul 11, 2008

Javid posted:

I think he was intentionally being blunt about chow line shanking being option B to make them more amicable to the jimmy in-n-out plan, which coincidentally involved him getting $50,000.

Pre BCS I would have disagreed, based on what we see of Saul. He always seemed quick to suggest the Belizian Option. But now we have seen that even before he gets into -criminal- law one of Jimmy/Saul's (Slimmy's?) best assets is his ability to get a read on people, and their degree of moral or legal flexibility. So yeah, he was feeling them out. A shame he couldn't know how far Walt would later flex :(

Which it looks like he learned from growing up with his brother apparently: to me the funniest part of the episode, and the part that gives Chuck a little more depth than just :tinfoil:, is when Jimmy reverses his perception from "stealing" the shredded documents to "I will help you compile this barely legally obtained public domain recyclables."

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Beeez posted:

Yeah, that's what I mean, that he may have asked Hamlin to be the bad guy. Chuck seems like he was generally a shark, but he might chicken out if he had to turn down his own brother.

Would a law firm like that hire someone with a distance degree from American Samoa anyway? Granted Kim was UNM which is #71 on the US News rankings, not exactly Harvard Law.

Also Hamlin is not the bad guy, says Hamlin's actor on the podcast :v:

Secret Agent X23
May 11, 2005

Beeez posted:

I think it's easy to picture Chuck having Jimmy's best interests at heart—within certain parameters. A job in the mail room wouldn't be a problem as long as he shows up on time every day and does what he's supposed to do. But working as a lawyer...well, no one in any decision-making position is going to see him as HHM material. Background aside, I think they'd see him as a little too rough around the edges. Chuck might even have enough juice to push it through if he wanted, but what happens if Jimmy embarrasses him?

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.

PassTheRemote posted:

Kim's betrayal will hurt, but Chuck's will be worse. Et Tu, Chuck?

Saul's romantic life in Breaking Bad is pretty dire. Something's gonna happen with Kim, and it won't be good.

On the other hand, Saul's making good money and isn't really a bad guy when Walt shows up, so I wouldn't assume his BCS career will be one of total failure and loss.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Paradoxish posted:

Yeah, it's probably unreasonable to expect. Vince Gilligan & Co are pretty much making GBS threads all over the idea of working hard to get ahead with BCS, so it wouldn't surprise me if Jimmy's hard work on this case just makes things worse for him. I mean, a pretty major plot point in this episode was Jimmy being rejected by someone who probably didn't work half as hard to get where he is.
Are they? Good things generally happen to Jimmy when he puts his nose to the grindstone and does real work. It wasn't the billboard that made him mildly successful - it was his enthusiastically exploiting a niche market and becoming the gelatin prince of the old folks' home.

In both Breaking Bad and Better Call Saul the characters are generally at their happiest when they're most committed to their work. Saul's public defender montage was quite cheerful and nice and he was really enjoying himself and getting into it (though he'd never admit it) until Nacho showed up again. It was comparable to some of the earlier meth cooking scenes in Breaking Bad - work in the best sense of the word. Mike's regret was that he made his son betray his work and his duty before he was killed.

I don't think life's been at all unfair to Saul, really. For someone who almost pathologically refuses to put in the time to build a real career the normal way - not the Samoan correspondence school way - he's gotten very far. I'm not sure why you're assuming that Hamlin hasn't worked at all. I assume that he didn't spend a few decades being a loving lowlife and running low-grade scams, which probably made getting where he is a lot simpler and less dramatic than motivational mail room guy stealth bar exam taker.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Mar 25, 2015

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

boom boom boom posted:

i chuckled

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Keyser S0ze posted:

dumpster chat doesn't start till the 57th minute

That's well above par, usually they don't discuss anything about an episode until an hour in. And it's amazing.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

No Wave posted:

Are they? Good things generally happen to Jimmy when he puts his nose to the grindstone and does real work. It wasn't the billboard that made him mildly successful - it was his enthusiastically exploiting a niche market and becoming the gelatin prince of the old folks' home.

I guess we have different interpretations, because nothing good has really happened to Jimmy as a result of straight and honest work. He's found a niche, sure, but it's financially unrewarding and it's not going to make him successful. He was a good public defender, but public defenders aren't exactly what you'd call successful lawyers. He worked his rear end off doing night correspondence courses and grinding away at the bar, only to get his dreams shot down.

The best thing to happen to him was a highly illegal bribe that he literally stumbled upon and an opportunity to take an unwinnable case and screw over some real lovely people, but instead he gave that up to do right by his friend and two terrible people who probably didn't deserve his help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

This is automatically better than the first season of BB because it has no Aaron Paul

• Locked thread