Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bot 02
Apr 2, 2010

Dude... Did my plushie just talk?
Maybe Zimmy gave Anthony such an etheric beating that he lost his hand? If that's the case, and assuming the operation he performed on Annie was to prevent her from suffering the same fate as her mother, then I could understand why he is bitter. He spent years of his life trying to save his wife from death, only to fail. When he tried to save Annie, not only was the operation sabotaged, but he became crippled in the process. I'd be bitter too if my life was a long, failed struggle to save the ones I love.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?
Geez Tom, Annie wanted Tony Carver for her birthday, not Gimp Hand Tony Carver (with battle damage).

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.

M.c.P posted:

Also Kat might kill this guy, so at least there's that to look forward to.

Seriously. She's already Not OK with this but is trying to be cool for her friend. I get the impression that if he steps too far outta line she'd gonna end up strangling him to death.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Nathilus posted:

Seriously. She's already Not OK with this but is trying to be cool for her friend. I get the impression that if he steps too far outta line she'd gonna end up strangling him to death.

I don't think so. To me it looks a lot more like the way some kids see an alcoholic parent. He really loves me when he's not drunk and throwing bottles at me.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Maybe Kat will make him a bionic as a peace offering when he and Annie make up :3:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

M.c.P posted:

Edit: man, when was the last time Annie was so... deferential?

I wish she'd stop. I wish she'd say YOU ARE MY loving FATHER OF COURSE IT'S MY loving BUSINESS. He deserves it. But it's not going to happen. :(

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
Tony Carver, pushing for heights of parental jerkness unheard from since Zak Gramarye from Ace Attorney.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

M.c.P posted:

Huh... Annie's reactions...
I think we're seeing a particularly vulnerable side of her here. I mean, even when her dad was an outright dick to her, there she is, hair a mess, smiling hopefully like dad is gonna pull a gift out of his pocket and tell her he loves her.
I mean, I've talked before about Donald going to bat for this guy, but I guess it can't be overstated how much Annie still trusts her absentee father.

And everyone wondering what he's been up to, it's kinda like what Annie must feel. She keeps this bright, brittle hope that, surely, her father loves her but has been called away by something super important, more important than one young schoolgirl with a dead mom.

Thing is, Anthony isn't doing much to support her here, and I can't imagine what Annie's reaction will be if that hope gets shattered. Will it be like when she was told she (sorta) killed her mom and discovered literally every adult she knew was lying to her? Or like when her father's first contact with her in years consisted of a garbled message that only could be deciphered with the help of someone outside the family?

Who knows. It might be worth remembering that Donald and Surma impressed on Annie that her father does care, he just shows it in his weird, stand offish ways.

Also Kat might kill this guy, so at least there's that to look forward to.

Edit: man, when was the last time Annie was so... deferential?

No you dingus, it's not that Annie expects him to say he loves her, she loving grew up with the guy and she knows how he is. She asks about his hand, because, guess what, :siren: Annie loves and cares about her father. :siren: Unlike you, the reader, Annie is not expecting her father to (fail to) redeem himself, she isn't waiting to be disappointed by him.

As for Anthony, I don't think he lost his hand because of Zimmy's punch. It looks like he's been up to some very dangerous stuff in general while he's been gone, and it makes sense that he'd want to keep Annie in as much a distance from it as he could.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
There were five bones going into Antimony's fire elemental: http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=1040

Did Zimmy punch his hand right off? :aaa:

Beepity Boop
Nov 21, 2012

yay

He could just be continuously doing the bleeding-hand-clench thing and is trying to keep it out of sight. Doesn't have to be a missing limb :v:

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Fairly sure it's meant to be a plastic hand.

Ah, wait no I get it, sorry. :v:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

pik_d posted:

There were five bones going into Antimony's fire elemental: http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=1040

I hope so. The bones look like a hand in that Treatise, too.

It'd explain why he's so goddamn pissy at Annie, too, given what Zimmy said to him.

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."

pik_d posted:

Ahaha, get crushed, nerd.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

MikeJF posted:

I wish she'd stop. I wish she'd say YOU ARE MY loving FATHER OF COURSE IT'S MY loving BUSINESS. He deserves it. But it's not going to happen. :(

Right? "Father I haven't seen you in years, and now you show up with a broken nose, scars, and A MISSING HAND!? Yes it's my business, tell me what happened to you!"

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

pik_d posted:

Or maybe whatever he was doing there required him to sacrifice his hand for it to work?

fffff
Feb 11, 2014
He resembles Gendo even more with each passing page. This can only end badly for him! :allears:

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Suaimhneas posted:

Or maybe whatever he was doing there required him to sacrifice his hand for it to work?

If he lost it to the zimmypunch it seems more likely that his hand (or arm) was involved in the ethermagics that allowed the surgery to happen, and when he got punched the whole system had a sudden death either taking his hand with it or mangling it beyond repair.

In the page where he gets punched all of his right arm is covered by the flash of light so it's likely the whole thing's gone.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"
Because zimmy started looking like annie in the ether do you think he thinks she broke his arm and thats why he's so pissed off?

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Aw poo poo, Kat's getting ready to throw down.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

YF-23 posted:

If he lost it to the zimmypunch it seems more likely that his hand (or arm) was involved in the ethermagics that allowed the surgery to happen, and when he got punched the whole system had a sudden death either taking his hand with it or mangling it beyond repair.

In the page where he gets punched all of his right arm is covered by the flash of light so it's likely the whole thing's gone.

He's bending it at the elbow, so he's at least got that much left.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
Maybe his hand isn't actually gone. Maybe it's just twisted, blackened, and useless under that thick padded glove.

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

Tarezax posted:

Maybe his hand isn't actually gone. Maybe it's just twisted, blackened, and useless under that thick padded glove.

We aren't talking about his heart.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Fried Chicken posted:

He's bending it at the elbow, so he's at least got that much left.

That's his left arm which we can see is intact, his right arm isn't visible at all.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.

YF-23 posted:

That's his left arm which we can see is intact, his right arm isn't visible at all.

No, he's bending his right elbow in the current chapter. So he must not have lost his entire arm back during mysterious etheric surgery times.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Oh fair enough.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Yes tony it generally is a persons business when a family member is horribly mangled from unknown causes and refuses to talk about it. I mean I guess we can't expect you to know that but still

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice
I imagine if Annie ever asked about the etheric surgery (I know she won't) it would go about the same way.
"So what was going on when I was in that coma?"
"Is that your concern?"
"Well, I was in a coma so I should think s-"
"Is it any of your business?"
"No, sir."

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Kat is gonna go all Ysengrin on that man

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
And Annie would hate her for it, and he'd still be her dad, and nothing would have changed.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

YF-23 posted:

No you dingus, it's not that Annie expects him to say he loves her, she loving grew up with the guy and she knows how he is. She asks about his hand, because, guess what, :siren: Annie loves and cares about her father. :siren: Unlike you, the reader, Annie is not expecting her father to (fail to) redeem himself, she isn't waiting to be disappointed by him.

Thank you for making a rational post about this. Getting tired of the "tony's a dick he should get beat up" response. There's obviously a lot more at play here.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 237 days!
My guess was that his hand was burned due to Zimmy's Shoryuken during dangerous fire-elemental-soul surgery, but the hand-bone connection seems interesting.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Antimony... I'm already a demon.

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

Boogaleeboo posted:

And Annie would hate her for it, and he'd still be her dad, and nothing would have changed.

Would Annie, though? It's one thing to have her Dad treat her a certain way. It would be another thing entirely to have him treat Kat the same way.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost
If the hand is actually gone/busted for good, his career as a surgeon is pretty much over. It's probably not the whole reason, but it's at least one explanation for why he'd be going into teaching.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Dammerung posted:

Would Annie, though? It's one thing to have her Dad treat her a certain way. It would be another thing entirely to have him treat Kat the same way.

Yes. He's her dad. That trumps basically everything.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Sometimes parents are lovely people.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

ImpactVector posted:

If the hand is actually gone/busted for good, his career as a surgeon is pretty much over. It's probably not the whole reason, but it's at least one explanation for why he'd be going into teaching.

At least he didn't start to dabble in magic, that job's already taken.

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

Boogaleeboo posted:

Yes. He's her dad. That trumps basically everything.

It's entirely possible that the balance of influence will change after this chapter - Annie can convince herself of whatever she'd like when he's away, but I don't think she'll be able to deny what's happening when he's literally right in front of her and doing it!

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Blackheart posted:

If he was a demon, he would have a hand more like this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Blackheart posted: