Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I wonder what they use for the brains if she has to be eating on screen all the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Aphrodite posted:

I wonder what they use for the brains if she has to be eating on screen all the time.

It looked almost like some sort of formed candy stuff. At least in the first episode.

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002

Aphrodite posted:

Depends on the scene and how they're using it. Special Jell-O molds are popular, though when she was cleaning off the paint brush, it was fairly clearly a cake batter substance with food coloring.

That's assuming she eats it, though. Most of the time, they'll have rubber or plastic brain goo if it's just sitting on a plater, like the microwave scene in this ep. It's all about the editing there.

Axel Serenity fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Mar 25, 2015

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

In the first one with the noodles she was eating pieces of it.

I bet you could use like pieces of lobster or something if you want to get fancy.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Axel Serenity posted:

This show is really fun, you guys.

I also found tonight's episode hilarious because I just now realized how many times we saw Rose McIver naked in "Masters of Sex." Which actually says a lot about how the CW is doing these days getting some really legit actors. She's perfect for this show so far.

Now i know why she sounds so much like Clarke from The 100. She's a kiwi, Clarke is Aussie, they have probably had the same voice coaches. it's pretty uncanny

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Making fun of the whole "vision quest" aspect of the show was enjoyable, and Rose McIver's acting in conjunction with the twisty mystery solidified my love for the show. Also nice to see movement kind of outside the Veronica Mars mold, since the pilot was plotting a very similar story structure to VM.

I forgot how dark and prickly Veronica Mars could be, and while this show is hitting a lot of the same keys, I'm appreciating iZombie's much more zany and optimistic attitude. It's just fun stuff.

EDIT: Not to swerve away from the "it's just good fun!" stuff, but I'm also appreciating the show as an HIV metaphor that isn't a total downer/medical drama. Minus the superpowers, of course.

Combed Thunderclap fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Mar 25, 2015

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I've worked with pretentious artists before, so the whole thing with the sketch artist had me in stitches.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
I liked the reveal that there are a bunch more zombies running around. Feels like a suitably interesting larger arc for the series to build on.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
My feelings so far.

Meh :shrug:

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Aphrodite posted:

from the Anders interview

David Anders posted:

I don't know what actual brains would taste like. Our brains taste like gelatinous goo. The prop department felt like they nailed it as far as consistency and aesthetics. Visually, it looks great, but for the taste, not so much. I get to do my fair share of brain eating, but Rose does the lion's share.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

I appreciate when they get texture right in media. I get that sometimes a department wants things to appear some way to be shocking or for the ease of the scene (or the lazy prop designer). In any case, the brain's wobbly-ness seems spot on. Helps my gross anatomy nerd to get proper respect.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible
I find that this show is filling the void left by Pushing Daisies.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

qbert posted:

I liked the reveal that there are a bunch more zombies running around. Feels like a suitably interesting larger arc for the series to build on.

And apparently that zombification is indeed a sexually transmitted disease.

Did I miss something though, or were there no more zombies revealed in this episode than the lady that got turned?

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

raditts posted:

Did I miss something though, or were there no more zombies revealed in this episode than the lady that got turned?

I feel like it was implied that zombie guy has been making zombies all over the city for whatever reason, probably for some evil take over or something. You'd think working in the morgue suddenly seeing bodies show up with their brains missing would be a huge red flag though, unless the guy is taking the corpses out of the city and burying them deep.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

VendaGoat posted:

My feelings so far.

Meh :shrug:

I liked the 2nd ep better, but overall still meh.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I've been really enjoying it.

Have they said how they do the whole zombie look? Is it make up or post processing and did she have to dye her hair white?

subpage
May 27, 2003

Alea iacta est
I like it so far. I dig the lead, and the doctor from the morgue is neat, I hope they give him some kind of odd back story. Does anybody know what kind of other 'beings' are in the show's universe?

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
And odder backstory than "Fired from the CDC because they didn't believe the zombie apocalypse was a credible threat"?

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

subpage posted:

Does anybody know what kind of other 'beings' are in the show's universe?
Ghosts, vampires, and were-creatures, at the least. (Just check the wiki page if you want the full mythos.) But Rob Thomas has indicated that he's not interested in expanding the supernatural pantheon beyond zombies, an instinct that seems wise, given the kind of convoluted magic poo poo that quickly begins to eat its own tail if left to accumulate.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Yeah, they've pretty much confirmed it's already gotten as supernatural as it's ever going to get. Zombies are it for the show.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

muscles like this? posted:

I've been really enjoying it.

Have they said how they do the whole zombie look? Is it make up or post processing and did she have to dye her hair white?

For her, a wig and about half an hour of makeup. The zombie dude dyed his hair.

kmzh
Feb 21, 2011

Pan Dulce posted:

They asked the actor actually! In a question at SXSW. His response:

The first thing I thought of when I heard his name was Major Applewhite, well-loved Univ of Texas quarterback from a while back.

BIG CITY LAWYER
Sep 15, 2004

I believe it was the great American painter Bob Ross who said, "The key to a swollen vagina is... courage."

kmzh posted:

The first thing I thought of when I heard his name was Major Applewhite, well-loved Univ of Texas quarterback from a while back.

Rob Thomas mentions him in a recent interview with Alan Sepinwall on hitfix

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

As well as all the other shows already mentioned, is anyone else getting a Dollhouse vibe from this?

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Cactus posted:

As well as all the other shows already mentioned, is anyone else getting a Dollhouse vibe from this?

No, because this is good.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

raditts posted:

Not necessarily; he could have scratched his pickup like he did Liv.

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

pentyne posted:

I feel like it was implied that zombie guy has been making zombies all over the city for whatever reason, probably for some evil take over or something. You'd think working in the morgue suddenly seeing bodies show up with their brains missing would be a huge red flag though, unless the guy is taking the corpses out of the city and burying them deep.

He is a zombie, and zombies aren't exactly well defined so far. And, well zombies have been known to just chow down on whoever is nearby. It seems plausible that he just keeps on munching on corpses even after eating their brains to dispose of the evidence after killing someone. After all, once you set aside your moral inhibitions against cannibalism and start munching on brains, might as well go whole hog and eat the whole body and destroy the evidence.

So it would make sense that those victims might end up as missing persons, but they're not showing up at the morgue.

thrakkorzog fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Mar 27, 2015

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Flatscan posted:

Dollhouse improved dramatically after the first half season, but obviously I meant the whole theme of absorbing skills and personality traits of other people.

Now I can't help but reminisce and think how much better that show would've been with an actress that was good like this one is at its core.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Hilariously this show could be said to be a mix of two Eliza Dushku shows: Dollhouse and Tru Calling. A medical examiner solves the murders of dead people while picking up new skills and personalities each week.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Cactus posted:

Dollhouse improved dramatically after the first half season, but obviously I meant the whole theme of absorbing skills and personality traits of other people.

Now I can't help but reminisce and think how much better that show would've been with an actress that was good like this one is at its core.

It would still have been a show about mentally handicapped people being turned into sex slaves by a modern Mengele. I will admit there was one good episode of Dollhouse - the one where a woman investigated her own murder - but the rest of it was despicable poo poo and the best cast in the world wouldn't have helped it.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Boogaleeboo posted:

Hilariously this show could be said to be a mix of two Eliza Dushku shows: Dollhouse and Tru Calling. A medical examiner solves the murders of dead people while picking up new skills and personalities each week.

The gimmick in Tru Calling was time travel, though.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Flatscan posted:

This is the correct answer to anyone comparing this to shows with Eliza Dushku in them.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

Deadpool posted:

This is the correct answer to anyone comparing this to shows with Eliza Dushku in them.

Hey, Buffy wasn't bad! And Thomas himself said this show was designed to lean more Buffy than Veronica Mars. Although how that gels with them stating zombies are pretty much it in terms of the supernatural coming out and Anders calling a zom-com-rom-dram, I have no idea.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Boogaleeboo posted:

The main difference is that the lead is a good actor

efb but it bears saying twice. I loved Dollhouse once it got better, but only in spite of Dushku

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

TyrantWD posted:

I find that this show is filling the void left by Pushing Daisies.
It's gonna take a lot more to do that :smith:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Sober posted:

It's gonna take a lot more to do that :smith:

One good meal filled the void left by Pushing Daisies. This show is much more like Dead Like Me, coming from the opposite direction with less family drama angst. Hopefully it'll keep up the quality.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Jedit posted:

One good meal filled the void left by Pushing Daisies. This show is much more like Dead Like Me, coming from the opposite direction with less family drama angst. Hopefully it'll keep up the quality.

This. I hate twee and angst in about equal measure.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Jedit posted:

You shut your whore mouth, next you're gonna be talking poo poo about Wonderfalls.

I don't have to tolerate this poo poo from you punk kids
vvv

raditts fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Mar 28, 2015

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
If he doesn't I will.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

raditts posted:

You shut your whore mouth, next you're gonna be talking poo poo about Wonderfalls.

I don't have to tolerate this poo poo from you punk kids
vvv

The only thing I hate about Wonderfalls is the theme song. gently caress Joan of Arcadia with a claw hammer, I wanted four years of Inappropriately Touched By An Angel.

• Locked thread