Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I think if I'm getting one thing from these reviews, it's that Josh Sawyer certainly hates fun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY
genre resurrected i guess

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

CSM posted:

Reviews

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2i3zrzyLOCw

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
So do the other companions not show up till act two?

Does moving through the main questions lock you out of undone missions from prior acts?

Zilkin
Jan 9, 2009

CSM posted:

Reviews
So happy I threw way too much money at this game.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Does moving through the main questions lock you out of undone missions from prior acts?

quote:

Hieronymous Alloy wanted to know the most efficient way to get your early party members. I'm going to put spoil tags on this section, which tells you the quickest route (while vaguely mentioning related plot progression things) in the first paragraph. The second spoilered bit tells you which party members you're gathering.

Follow the path out of Valewood's south exit without leaving the road. After the cutscene in Gilded Vale immediately head to the inn. Outside you'll find your first party member. Go inside and sleep. Head back out and talk to the person indicated in the cutscene. When you leave that conversation talk to the guy who mutters something as you walk past. He's your second party member. Now exit Gilded Vale south to Magran's Fork. Follow the road southeast until you come to a crossroad with a statue. There's your third party member. From there head east two maps, to Caed Nua. Cross the bridge and you'll find your fourth party member.

Now you can return to the first map. Remember that you can pick up an adventurer from the inn to fill any gaps.

The companions you picked up are (in order) Aloth (Wizard), Eder (Fighter), Durance (Priest), and Kana Rua (Chanter).

Megazver fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Mar 26, 2015

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

srb posted:

Haha, that guy has given exactly 4 reviews, all to Kickstarter CRPGs: Divinity 10/10, Wasteland 2 10/10, Dead State 0/10, Pillars 0/10.

I've never understood 0/10. Shouldn't that mean it's not actually a game, but instead a box of lent and other unknown objects?

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Obsidian does their own IP with their own engine without a publisher and gets super good reviews? Coincidence?

NOW UNLOCK PLEASEEEEEEEEEE

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

DAWN OF THE FINAL DAY

-2 hours remain-

sunburnedcrow
Dec 17, 2012

CSM posted:

Ropekid and his team did it!

I want to play this game 2 days ago!

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Man so I downloaded the manual and have been looking through it, and at first I thought chanters sounded lame but then I read that their chants are free actions that can be done while moving, attacking, or taking other actions, and then I looked at the list of chanter invocations at the back of the manual and :stare: holy poo poo these guys look loving hardcore.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Congrats to Obsidian for a good game well received, just don't spend too much of that mountain of cash on cocaine.

srb
Jul 24, 2007

Spikeguy posted:

I've never understood 0/10. Shouldn't that mean it's not actually a game, but instead a box of lent and other unknown objects?

Pretty much how I feel about them as well, a 0/10 would be a game that completely fails to function and is just too weird, like Limbo of the Lost or something.

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me

vyelkin posted:

Man so I downloaded the manual and have been looking through it, and at first I thought chanters sounded lame but then I read that their chants are free actions that can be done while moving, attacking, or taking other actions, and then I looked at the list of chanter invocations at the back of the manual and :stare: holy poo poo these guys look loving hardcore.

ONE DOZEN STOOD AGAINST THE POWER OF THE SAINT

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

Basically I just want Obsidian to make loads of cash off of this game so that they can continue to make entertainment for the masses until the inevitable apocalypse. Is that so much to ask?

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Knowing literally nothing about this game except for its existence when I backed it, seeing these glowing reviews is amazing. Cant wait to jump in after work, and cipher sounds cool so im gonna do that, or a Chanter!

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

Disco Infiva posted:

Congrats to Obsidian for a good game well received, just don't spend too much of that mountain of cash on cocaine.
Really I hope they take this money and hire Tim Schafer to flesh out those little text adventures into a whole adventure minigame. I'm sure that will go well.

Not to stir up debate about him it is funny he still hasn't put out the second half of his 8 hour(?) Adventure game when Obsidian has created this monster.

Darkhold fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Mar 26, 2015

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
I hope that this success lets them do a bunch of RPGs set in the PoE universe, as well as other settings (sci fi???) in that same engine/ruleset.

Hawgh
Feb 27, 2013

Size does matter, after all.

Spikeguy posted:

Back when Youtube switched to their Like/Dislike system, I spent some time feeling miffed that they dumbed down a perfectly good rating system so much.
Then after seeing how people actually apply ratings on Metacritic, I realised that a binary "Yay/Nay" might actually be on the complicated side for the average internet dweller.

In other news. GOG now has bonus content up, but is denying access to most of it. No soundtrack for me, yet.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Darkhold posted:

Not to stir up debate about him it is funny he still hasn't put out the second half of his 8 hour(?) Adventure game when Obsidian has created this monster.

It's actually coming out next month, apparently.

Grimwall
Dec 11, 2006

Product of Schizophrenia
I'm at work, how long until unlock?

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Spikeguy posted:

lent, an unknown object. gonna have to alert pastor dad about this

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Roight I meant the other like 4 companions

Zilkin
Jan 9, 2009

Grimwall posted:

I'm at work, how long until unlock?

2 hours.

srb
Jul 24, 2007

Gyshall posted:

I hope that this success lets them do a bunch of RPGs set in the PoE universe, as well as other settings (sci fi???) in that same engine/ruleset.

There's at least one expansion coming out, maybe two (probably two, if the sales are high).

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Gyshall posted:

I hope we get more rtwp games and Obsidian games even if they aren't both.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

Gyshall posted:

Yeah I love me some dragons and dungeons but it's really nice to see other places as well. For all of Torment's BILLION YEARS IN THE FUTURE it's just going to be a weirder Fantasy setting.

X-Com near future world inspired game could be fun. Proper Mass Effect sci-fi schlock setting could be fun. Alpha Protocol magic disguised as secret agent devices could be fun......

I guess what I'm saying is Obsidian make another game ASAP it doesn't have to be fantasy.

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit
From everything I read until now I'm really digging the setting. There are so many cool places far from Dyrwood I hope we visit in next games :allears:

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Darkhold posted:

Really I hope they take this money and hire Tim Schafer to flesh out those little text adventures into a whole adventure minigame. I'm sure that will go well.

It's the difference between a company that can schedule, budget, and design a game within a specific time frame and one that can't. Beyond Obsidian's talent in writing, game design, whatever, they've proved that they have people in the company that can make sure the game actually ships.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

srb posted:

There's at least one expansion coming out, maybe two (probably two, if the sales are high).

I think it was yesterday PoE came to first place.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Darkhold posted:

Yeah I love me some dragons and dungeons but it's really nice to see other places as well. For all of Torment's BILLION YEARS IN THE FUTURE it's just going to be a weirder Fantasy setting.

X-Com near future world inspired game could be fun. Proper Mass Effect sci-fi schlock setting could be fun. Alpha Protocol magic disguised as secret agent devices could be fun......

I guess what I'm saying is Obsidian make another game ASAP it doesn't have to be fantasy.

Or that Darklands type game rope kid is always talking about

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Darkhold posted:

Making games too quickly makes lovely games, unfortunately. That's how Dragon Age 2 happened.

Oddly I actually hope this means Obsidian sticks to the kickstarter model, if only because I suspect this game wouldn't be as good as it apparently is without all the backer feedback.

DeepQantas
Jan 13, 2008

Ah, to be a Hero... Keeping such company...

AXE COP posted:

ONE DOZEN STOOD AGAINST THE POWER OF THE SAINT
Gotta love how grand and important they've made the Saint's War sound in all these little details. It's like Robert Rebellion in Game of Thrones.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

CottonWolf posted:

It's actually coming out next month, apparently.
I was aware :) just saying it still technically hasn't been released.

Zilkin
Jan 9, 2009

Gyshall posted:

I think PoE 2 is basically guaranteed at this point.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

If even moderators are asking for spoilers, I'm so out of this thread!

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Furism posted:

If even moderators are asking for spoilers, I'm so out of this thread!

hahah sorry my bad

Being book barn moderator barely even counts

Please do use spoiler tags!

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Darkhold posted:

Basically all I know about the story of Numenera other than what was in the initial kickstarter is that at one point you're on either the Moon or a moon. So it's going at least partially sci-fi.

Grimwall
Dec 11, 2006

Product of Schizophrenia
Alpha protocol style extreme choice and consequence based gameplay deserves to be tried again.

People were shocked how different could everything go based on your actions.

It was one of the few games that I restarted immediately after finishing (the other being the first KOTOR).

PLEASE ROPEKID HEAR ME

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

As a non-kickstarter person, where will I need to go to access my almanac once it is available? Will I be able to access it on steam, or will I need to register the game with Obsidian or something? I was a little disappointed I couldn't read it before the game was released.

• Locked thread