Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!

Anal Surgery posted:

One thing that has surprised me about both HLM games is that there's never a secret back doorway or hidden entrance on any of the levels. HLM1 had the mask in the secret sewer but I don't think HLM2 has anything outside the perimeter of levels. You'd think there'd be at least one just for kicks

At one point during the development of 2, Corey (zebra mask) was able to enter the first floor of levels through any windows on the outer perimeter, allowing her to start levels in ways nobody else could. Sadly this was removed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.

Master of Stealth posted:

How does hard mode unlock? I finished the game and have As and Bs on most stages but whenever I try starting a new game from the menu I don't get any option, it just starts normal mode again.

Are you using the touchscreen or the square button? I found that touch screen targeting didn't work properly on the left side of the screen while being perfectly fine elsewhere. Since my Vita's touchscreen is perfectly functional elsewhere, I'll just assume a sloppy port job.

Touchscreen.

Sometimes you have to touch a bit away from the target to lock on.

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Your favorite furry wrestler.

Geight posted:

At one point during the development of 2, Corey (zebra mask) was able to enter the first floor of levels through any windows on the outer perimeter, allowing her to start levels in ways nobody else could. Sadly this was removed.

Yeah that was sad. I was so ready to use that too.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
The first thing I did on Evan's first level was try to find a back entrance that wasn't directly through the Russian mob guy, mainly because I'd read about how the reporter was "non-violent" so I figured I'd play along. But when I couldn't find it I was kinda disappointed that they railroad you into beating him bloody and unconscious.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

Hotline Miami 2 wasn't as good as the first but I don't think it's nearly as bad as a lot of people are claiming it is. I'd still consider it a great game.

By the way, how many secrets and special things are there to find in HM2? HM1 had puzzle pieces and clues and secret endings. I'd like to see some of that in HM2.

SomeIdiot
Apr 2, 2014

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Pretty easily on Normal - I played them like some kind of hosed up Metal Gear Hotline and ran into and out of sight lines so I could knife people to death one by one, since I was always worried I'd run out of bullets.

(it turned out the ammo boxes weren't just decoration :shobon:)

Yeah, same here. I actually even enjoyed 'em, to be frank.
I also didn't realize that Ash could pick up new guns until after finishing the game... I am not a clever man. :v:

Poolparty
Aug 18, 2013

DoubleCakes posted:

Hotline Miami 2 wasn't as good as the first but I don't think it's nearly as bad as a lot of people are claiming it is. I'd still consider it a great game.

By the way, how many secrets and special things are there to find in HM2? HM1 had puzzle pieces and clues and secret endings. I'd like to see some of that in HM2.

The only ones I know of are:
- On the final snake mask level don't die and collect the disk at the computer. As the journalist get the disk from the evidence room for a bonus level
- On one of journalist intros when his kids bedroom has all the toys, answer the phone to meet up with a special character.
- Knock over all of the cartoon cut out boards on Homicide for a secret achievement

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Poolparty posted:

The only ones I know of are:
- On the final snake mask level don't die and collect the disk at the computer. As the journalist get the disk from the evidence room for a bonus level
- On one of journalist intros when his kids bedroom has all the toys, answer the phone to meet up with a special character.
- Knock over all of the cartoon cut out boards on Homicide for a secret achievement

The Nuclear Throne cutouts? I was giddy when I saw them

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
I just finished chapter 18. I never want to play that level ever again.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Dangerous Person posted:

Now you know how I feel about Chapter 11 earlier. Hoo, man. That is some poo poo.
But now I'm on Chapter 14. Not sure if I should use the shotgun, LMG, or rifle.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

widespread posted:

Now you know how I feel about Chapter 11 earlier. Hoo, man. That is some poo poo.
But now I'm on Chapter 14. Not sure if I should use the shotgun, LMG, or rifle.

I feel like the LMG is kind of unimpressive, and the shotgun outclasses both of them. The next weapon you unlock though will be mega-useful for the next time you need to make that decision.

e: My reasoning on the shotgun is that it can dispatch heavy enemies reliably in one click, whereas either the LMG or rifle may leave them wounded but still charging.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Geight posted:

I feel like the LMG is kind of unimpressive, and the shotgun outclasses both of them. The next weapon you unlock though will be mega-useful for the next time you need to make that decision.

e: My reasoning on the shotgun is that it can dispatch heavy enemies reliably in one click, whereas either the LMG or rifle may leave them wounded but still charging.

Agreed but the real answer for Stronghold is knife.

Dangerous Person posted:

Yeah the Richter levels all open up with some grade-a bullshit. Demolition is kind of outstanding for that though.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

Tulip posted:

Agreed but the real answer for Stronghold is knife.

Unfortunately, I'm thinking Stronghold's where the large level aspect really fucks me over.

EDIT: Stronghold done somehow. Sniper thankfully got.

PS how do you even beat Withdrawal without dying? Just go Irvin?

widespread fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Mar 26, 2015

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Replaying on Hard mode now, and up to the first Evan stage. Still lots of fun, and I'm actually doing better than my Normal run.

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet

Tulip posted:

Yeah the Richter levels all open up with some grade-a bullshit. Demolition is kind of outstanding for that though.

The main thing driving me to complete the stage was not wanting to do the first floor again. I actually had to look up a video to figure out how to pull off the toss for the shotgun.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

widespread posted:

PS how do you even beat Withdrawal without dying? Just go Irvin?
You don't need to do the entire level without dying. Just the third floor of the level. You can die as much as you want on the first two.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

Moltrey posted:

You don't need to do the entire level without dying. Just the third floor of the level. You can die as much as you want on the first two.

Oh. Oh dear, that's gonna be a bit aggravating: getting past the first two only to miss a spot check on the third floor.
... I'm still trying it anyway.

EDIT: Botched it. But the Dallas mask made it worth repeating.

widespread fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Mar 26, 2015

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Thankfully the third floor is actually pretty easy, there are even 2 guys that permanently face windows looking out of the building until you go into their room. I'm sure it was made a bit easier than the other 2 floors on purpose just to prevent the bad kind of frustration given how easy dying is in this game.

Hunterhr
Jan 4, 2007

And The Beast, Satan said unto the LORD, "You Fucking Suck" and juked him out of his goddamn shoes

widespread posted:

Oh. Oh dear, that's gonna be a bit aggravating: getting past the first two only to miss a spot check on the third floor.
... I'm still trying it anyway.

It really isn't that bad

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

The third floor is actually pretty classic HLM with mostly melee dudes and a couple gun guys to keep you on your toes, so just click fast and watch out for wanderers. Also make sure you actually click your mouse button during the following cutscene when Jake is left alone, otherwise you'll have wasted all that time for nothing!

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Yahtzee's review of the game went up yesterday and his chief complaints are

1. Story is a convoluted mess that leaves you unsatisfied, exploring several different plot threads and then abruptly killing off all of them for no reason.
2. Glitchy game play, which he only brings up once.

I gotta say... he's on the money. Those are the worst things about this game.

Then he goes on to talk about some dumb furry poo poo.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Skunkrocker posted:

Yahtzee's review of the game went up yesterday and his chief complaints are

1. Story is a convoluted mess that leaves you unsatisfied, exploring several different plot threads and then abruptly killing off all of them for no reason.
2. Glitchy game play, which he only brings up once.

I gotta say... he's on the money. Those are the worst things about this game.

Then he goes on to talk about some dumb furry poo poo.

lol you actually posted about yahtzee

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

yahtzee and furries are still relevant????

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
ITT people still get pissy about someone they ironically care not about.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

King Vidiot posted:

The first thing I did on Evan's first level was try to find a back entrance that wasn't directly through the Russian mob guy, mainly because I'd read about how the reporter was "non-violent" so I figured I'd play along. But when I couldn't find it I was kinda disappointed that they railroad you into beating him bloody and unconscious.

That was mainly a setup to show his special ability.

When you beat the guy to death, you get the red haze on the screen.

As for secrets: Make sure you check the trunk of Manny's car.

Rush Limbo fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Mar 26, 2015

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Milky Moor posted:

Oh I'm sorry, yeah, you're posting in the wrong place. Here's the door, have fun on the way out.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Skunkrocker posted:

Oh I'm sorry, yeah, you're posting in the wrong place. Here's the door, have fun on the way out.

haha this guy

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

:frogout:

Also Insert Coin's Hotline Miami Jacket is once again available for preorder GO NOW BUY IT OH GOD I'm ordering mine right now gently caress RENT MONEY I just pressed the goddamn button jesus I bought it $85 hell YES

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler
I'm going to buy a more color accurate one for the cosplay I'm doing of Jacket. Not to mention the sleeves aren't real leather like an actual varsity jacket.

After all, that looks a lot more like yellow sleeves/pockets than grey like Insert Coin has.

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

My current Jacket cosplay uses a game accurate white and yellow, but the letter is the wrong shape. :smith:

EDIT: Then again, my main reason for purchasing this is to do specifically Payday 2's version of Jacket.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Milky Moor posted:

Man Who Built Career On Inability To Complete FPS Tutorial Baffled By Game

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Hunterhr posted:

It really isn't that bad

It isn't bad in theory but it seems like I always blow it on the very last loving guy or right out of the gate, no in-between. I've opened up the path to Abyss exactly one time, I did a perfect third floor run but I didn't realize that you had to pick up that thing as the reporter to actually unlock it.

Then I never could do it since :doh:

VV But.. but my Dallas!

King Vidiot fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Mar 26, 2015

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

King Vidiot posted:

It isn't bad in theory but it seems like I always blow it on the very last loving guy or right out of the gate, no in-between. I've opened up the path to Abyss exactly one time, I did a perfect third floor run but I didn't realize that you had to pick up that thing as the reporter to actually unlock it.

Then I never could do it since :doh:

It's actually pretty easy to do.

Take an assault rifle up to the third floor. Fire it at the door, they will come rushing. Stand at an angle where they can't immediately see you. This will take care of 90% of the enemies, you just need to mop up the rest.

Also Irving is the best mask to take because the nail gun is really useful in the first floor

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Gonna hit up the gym today for the first time this year after a hiatus, put the soundtrack on my phone ready for action. The HLM1 soundtrack alone must have carried me through a hundred miles, and I like HLM2's music even more than the first games'.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Skunkrocker posted:

Congratulations on having a meltdown at the fact someone doesn't like the same things as you.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Sleeveless posted:

Man Who Built Career On Inability To Complete FPS Tutorial Baffled By Game

Where can I read more about this?

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Stairmaster posted:

Congratulations on having a meltdown at the fact someone doesn't like the same things as you.

Don't quote him you gbs piece of poo poo

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Yahtzee's fine, sometimes I agree with him sometimes I don't. I like his Youtube videos...

...whatever! :shrug:

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

He's funny relatively consistently but he's pretty good at colossally missing the point sometimes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

I actually really like the story, it's interesting and challenging :smith:

King Vidiot posted:

Yahtzee's fine, sometimes I agree with him sometimes I don't. I like his Youtube videos...

...whatever! :shrug:

He has a consistent list of likes and dislikes which means his reviews are at least somewhat consistent rather than just being gibberish, which puts him pretty much at the top of the games journalism shitpile.

• Locked thread