Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Faroush posted:

There's nothing really you won't learn by just playing, as the game is incredibly accessible, but here are some tips:

- Potions come rather abundantly after a point, especially if you're using the rest feature, so don't hold back on using them if you need to.
- The time that passes during resting isn't important, so don't let it stress you.
- Rings are limited use and won't raise your Int stat, so either sell them or use them in a pinch.
- RETRY BREAD IS YOUR FRIEND. If you think you're gonna run into trouble, drop some bread.
Oof, breakable weapons and respawning enemies. How conservative should I be with swords? I mean I already have three so I'm guessing it's like System Shock 2 where you don't really need to worry about it but even that had a weak unbreakable weapon (the wrench) as a fallback. Also are iron balls as useless as I think they are?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

you get an unbreakable weapon earlyish.

basically after every area (so like 10 floors or so) you get an unbreakable weapon of a stronger tier. it'll always be weaker than what you can find, but you'll never be screwed

iron balls are pretty useful on levels with lots of pitfalls, although once you get the hang of how to tell them apart from normal floor tiles they become less valuable

toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~
Still no confirmed release date for TDR in Europe/everywhere else. With Gurumin coming out at the end of the month(?) I can happily ignore it for now I guess.

Also a reminder that the Zwei 2 fan translation patch has been at 99% completion for over 2 years now and the team has said nothing on the matter for quite some time now. Garandou will never see the western world. This makes my flexing muscles sad.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Wasn't Gurumin going to be free if you posted in their comments asking for it? I'm pretty sure I did that.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Nate RFB posted:

Wasn't Gurumin going to be free if you posted in their comments asking for it? I'm pretty sure I did that.

They decided to be dicks and only check a certain thread. They also haven't started handing out keys yet.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

dis astranagant posted:

They decided to be dicks and only check a certain thread. They also haven't started handing out keys yet.

So if I did what they said originally and followed the game, that doesn't count? Where is this thread they never mentioned originally?

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
It's not a thread, it's the comments section for the Gurumin group. They were really weird and unspecific about it, so I just posted in three different places to be safe. Mastiff is really the weirdest publisher for a game like Gurumin, if you look at the majority of stuff they've published it's just been straight-up shovelware.

Also yeah because of the Zwei 2 fan translation being dead in the water I'll be loving pissed if Xseed never brings those games over. At least Nayuta no Kiseki has a seemingly fully featured, if really rough fan translation.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

The Colonel posted:

It's not a thread, it's the comments section for the Gurumin group. They were really weird and unspecific about it, so I just posted in three different places to be safe.

There's also the notion that Steam told people to stop giving away keys like this so who knows if they'll still honor it.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Actually, it's not the comments section, it's the discussion section.

Tobaccrow
Jan 21, 2008

Don't smoke, kids... Unless you have to.

dis astranagant posted:

Actually, it's not the comments section, it's the discussion section.
They locked the comments section after it was greenlit though, so... maybe they'll honor those? Also, the page seems to now only mention joining the group before it's been greenlit.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
These stones that only give you rewards if you 100% a map are going to be the death of me. Already wandering around pixel-hunting to find the one spot I missed. The first two rewards were kind of eh if I recall, should I just not worry about them?

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
Something tells me that this After Story in Nayuta no Kiseki may possibly just be an excuse plot to let me go run around beating up monsters for another ten hours.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Nate RFB posted:

These stones that only give you rewards if you 100% a map are going to be the death of me. Already wandering around pixel-hunting to find the one spot I missed. The first two rewards were kind of eh if I recall, should I just not worry about them?

i don't recall anything super good, no

that said you don't actually need to step on every tile i don't think, just expose the entire map. as long as you hug the edges you can normally get it all, since it autofills a couple spaces around you and so if you're missing something it's almost always the parts of the map around walls you can't actually enter but still count

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Yeah I found what it was, it was a breakable wall that united two corridors that I had already mapped out. So just looking at the map it would look complete unless you had noticed the cracks in the wall beforehand. Since the same sort of thing can happen with locked doors (the auto-mapper colors them in purple so they look like a wall) I suspect this will not be the first time this happens.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

toddy. posted:

Also a reminder that the Zwei 2 fan translation patch has been at 99% completion for over 2 years now and the team has said nothing on the matter for quite some time now. Garandou will never see the western world. This makes my flexing muscles sad.
Maybe it's because it's being officially localized? I'd love to hope so because Xanadu Next is happening and that had a fan translation too...

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

SOMEDAY, GODDAMMIT.

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Mar 25, 2015

toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~

Zeether posted:

Maybe it's because it's being officially localized?

The Colonel posted:

SOMEDAY, GODDAMMIT.

The Falcom thread is where I go for people to assure me that good games still exist. :shobon:

I had so much fun testing the fan patch for XNext, I'm super excited to see how the official release pans out. We definitely won't see the crazy extra stuff Gho and pals hacked in to the game towards the end of development (invisibility cloak, heal spell, debug room access) but I can't wait for people to full on :spergin: about the crazy details going on in that game. It was a buried treasure, despite apparently seeing a release in the US already (US got the NGAGE PORT AAAAAHAHAHA).

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Yeah, some people were a bit worried XNext wouldn't fare well because the N-Gage port happened, but I don't think a lot of people remember the N-Gage beyond "hahaha side talking!"

Zombiecop
Jul 2, 2007
Xanadu Next almost convinced me to get an Ngage. ...still couldn't do it.

Faroush
Mar 21, 2009

Amashing
So XSEED's twitter posted that Ys 6 is coming to Steam, complete with a new Catastrophe mode where healing items cannot be bought or stored, and are used on pickup. I can't wait!

Faroush fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Mar 26, 2015

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

i'm not crazy about naphishtim (i'm especially not crazy about spelling it) but it's good that it'll have a definitive version as opposed to lovely ps2 port or japanese with a translation patch

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Falcom has also released the demo for Sora no Kiseki FC Evolution. I think I might have to buy this game a third time.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

It's the Final Countdown.

Faroush posted:

So XSEED's twitter posted that Ys 6 is coming to Steam, complete with a new Catastrophe mode where healing items cannot be bought or stored, and are used on pickup. I can't wait!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3lol8xg_mA

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

lol at scrubs who have only bought FC twice

i'm gonna import evolution when it comes out, even though i don't like the art

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Cake Attack posted:

lol at scrubs who have only bought FC twice

i'm gonna import evolution when it comes out, even though i don't like the art

I bought the English PSP version and the Steam release, but got the japanese PSP and PS3 version for free from PSN+...does that count?

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

"Now featuring warp points"

They did it, they made Ark of Napishtim a good game. XSeed forever.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Tamba posted:

I bought the English PSP version and the Steam release, but got the japanese PSP and PS3 version for free from PSN+...does that count?

hmmm

playstation plus games are kinda like buying it, i'll allow it

Saralene
Feb 17, 2011

Developer, Gamer, and
apparently, Vtuber

The question of life is not,
"Are you a catgirl?"
but rather, it is in fact,
"Are you a catgirl yet?"

Zaggitz posted:

"Now featuring warp points"

They did it, they made Ark of Napishtim a good game. XSeed forever.

It does help a lot! The way warping works in this version of the game is through a "Warp Map" pretty much just like Oath in Felghana so people should be pretty happy with it, I hope.

Catastrophe Mode is fantastic too. As mentioned, it basically eliminates all traces of being able to obtain healing items and just uses any items you step on from enemy drops, the same way Oath in Felghana and Ys Origin work. It was a great idea. The way I've coded it, there's no signs at all that the items ever existed, even in the menus. It feels pretty natural.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Good, I hate items and I wish they would go sit in the bathroom stalls and eat lunch by themselves :mad:

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

Saralene posted:

It does help a lot! The way warping works in this version of the game is through a "Warp Map" pretty much just like Oath in Felghana so people should be pretty happy with it, I hope.

Catastrophe Mode is fantastic too. As mentioned, it basically eliminates all traces of being able to obtain healing items and just uses any items you step on from enemy drops, the same way Oath in Felghana and Ys Origin work. It was a great idea. The way I've coded it, there's no signs at all that the items ever existed, even in the menus. It feels pretty natural.

When's the release date for this version of the game?

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

Slur posted:

When's the release date for this version of the game?

I don't think she can say. NDA and all that.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

RadicalR posted:

I don't think she can say. NDA and all that.

That sounds fair enough. I guess my anticipation is getting the better of me.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Saralene posted:

You are doing God's work.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Saralene posted:

Holy poo poo, that sounds cool as heck.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

also trails in the sky evolution is coming out in japan on june 11th, and there's a ~250$ collector edition with stuff:

quote:

A 26,304 yen bundle puts together the limited edition plus Chara-Ani’s own limited edition. This package includes the upgraded Vita version, a Everyone Assemble! Falcom Academy FC DVD, a Trails in the Sky FC genuine leather accessory case, an original Char-Ani only book titled The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky First Chapter Evolution (Estelle Archives) book, the Joshua Edition book from the regular limited edition, and five rubber character straps. You’ll get straps for Estelle, Joshua, Tita, Agate, and Scherazard in the set.

i'm tempted

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
I just beat Nayuta no Kiseki, now I've just started on New Game+. Hopefully Xseed will release it in the US at some point in time, the fan translation was full of typos but the game was pretty drat great. Wish there was a way to skip the cutscenes, though, they tend to go on a bit long and it's not quite Falcom's best written game, at least going by... the fan translation that was laden with spelling errors.

toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~
Considering Ys VI had by far the most unfair Nightmare difficulty Catastrophe mode sounds like something devious enough to make me spike another controller through the floor. Looking forward (within reason, I get some pretty dark flashbacks about Ys VI) to screaming at that game again.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Is Catastrophe mode it's own difficulty level, or is it an actual 'mode' so you can play it on Hard or Nightmare or whatever?

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Is Catastrophe mode it's own difficulty level, or is it an actual 'mode' so you can play it on Hard or Nightmare or whatever?

XSeed's twitter said it's a separate option from difficulty level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!

The Colonel posted:

I just beat Nayuta no Kiseki, now I've just started on New Game+. Hopefully Xseed will release it in the US at some point in time, the fan translation was full of typos but the game was pretty drat great. Wish there was a way to skip the cutscenes, though, they tend to go on a bit long and it's not quite Falcom's best written game, at least going by... the fan translation that was laden with spelling errors.

Is the story text also translated, or just menus?

• Locked thread