Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Jaroslav posted:

Can i grab one for my buddy dominionix who is at work and not responding? Know he's been wantin to get in. EU that is

Since I know you and have played with you, sure why not. See PM. One code left.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mirrors
Oct 25, 2007
If it's possible I'd really appreciate a NA code. I have a need to torpedo people.

Tathris
Mar 26, 2010

I'd like a EU code, if you've still got a spare. Haven't had any luck with applying for access, and this game seems interesting.

EDIT: Got one!

Tathris fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Mar 26, 2015

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Tathris posted:

I'd like a EU code, if you've still got a spare. Haven't had any luck with applying for access, and this game seems interesting.

You got it. Last one for now, will report back if/when I get US ones.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I'm at work right now so editing the list is a hassle, but if you get a key, could you edit your request post to note that you've received a key so I can clean it up?

I'll try to keep it up to date to make it easier for other people who get keys to know who all wants one.

Tathris
Mar 26, 2010

TheFluff posted:

Thanks!

Time to sink some boats. Maybe even some from the other team!

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
Aside from the Cleveland, what is the goon consensus for good ships? I have the japanese tier 4 battleship now and am slightly disappointed with it's ability to dump shells in a perfect hexagon around the enemy ship without hitting it.

Jaroslav
Dec 31, 2007

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Asehujiko posted:

Aside from the Cleveland, what is the goon consensus for good ships? I have the japanese tier 4 battleship now and am slightly disappointed with it's ability to dump shells in a perfect hexagon around the enemy ship without hitting it.

The tier 4 bb sucks. Tought it out til you get the Kongo, and it's smooth sailing from there.

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.

TheFluff posted:

The fact that you got any was amazing. Thank you for your effort so far!

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !

Asehujiko posted:

St. Louis for silly low-tier gun fun.
T4+5 Japanese DDs, also US DDs to a lesser extent.
Saipan is a great mid-tier CV once you get the 1F2TB1DB setup.
Fuso for it's sheer broadside weight.
Mogami can really put the smack down, although vulnerable.
Des Moines is supposedly amazing.

Too bad we don't know a release date for US BBs yet, I want a New Mexico so bad, 12 guns in triple turrets would give you the same broadside as on the Fuso but with a significantly tighter spread.

All in all there are no real turds in the game, there are a few ships like the Pensacola or Phoenix which are rather bad in stock config but at least become decent once upgraded.

Hammerstein fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Mar 26, 2015

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Daylen Drazzi posted:

The fact that you got any was amazing. Thank you for your effort so far!

I still can't understand how TheFluff got the keys. Does he know Serb personally or what? Some streamers only get like 1-2 keys to share, and he got 10 for some guys in an internet comedy forum.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.

Hammerstein posted:

St. Louis for silly low-tier gun fun.
T4+5 Japanese DDs, also US DDs to a lesser extent.
Saipan is a great mid-tier CV once you get the 1F2TB1DB setup.
Fuso for it's sheer broadside weight.
Mogami can really put the smack down, although vulnerable.
Des Moines is supposedly amazing.

Too bad we don't know a release date for US BBs yet, I want a New Mexico so bad, 12 guns in triple turrets would give you the same broadside as on the Fuso but with a significantly tighter spread.

All in all there are no real turds in the game, there are a few ships like the Pensacola or Phoenix which are rather bad in stock config but at least become decent once upgraded.
T4 Japanese cruiser Kuma is a lot of fun too. Basically a Japanese DD without the lovely guns.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Ihmemies posted:

I still can't understand how TheFluff got the keys. Does he know Serb personally or what? Some streamers only get like 1-2 keys to share, and he got 10 for some guys in an internet comedy forum.

I've handed out 18 keys to goons so far :v:

I am a amateur historian gigantic nerd who visits the Swedish national military archives on a weekly basis, doing research on Swedish tank development history. I've been doing this for about a year and a half at this point. Wargaming has shown interest in implementing Swedish tanks and I had a meeting regarding that with their historian Yuri Pasholok and some other WG employees in Stockholm a month or so back. When I asked my contact at Wargaming for a key for my own use he was like "you should've asked earlier, there was a closed alpha you could've been in but feel free to ask for keys for your friends/people in your gaming community" and since I mostly play online games with goons, well, you're all my friends right? I also got more keys for promising to investigate Swedish ships.

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Mar 26, 2015

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !
Is this gonna be like a typical Hollywood highschool flick where the nerdy kid suddenly gets popular for material reasons, but then learns an important lesson about life ? If so, can I play the role of either the highschool bully's wingman, or be the slightly eccentric professor who shares some fundamental wisdom about life ?

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.

TheFluff posted:

I've handed out 18 keys to goons so far :v:

I am a amateur historian gigantic nerd who visits the Swedish national military archives on a weekly basis, doing research on Swedish tank development history. I've been doing this for about a year and a half at this point. Wargaming has shown interest in implementing Swedish tanks and I had a meeting regarding that with their historian Yuri Pasholok and some other WG employees in Stockholm a month or so back. When I asked my contact at Wargaming for a key for my own use he was like "you should've asked earlier, there was a closed alpha you could've been in but feel free to ask for keys for your friends/people in your gaming community" and since I mostly play online games with goons, well, you're all my friends right? I also got more keys for promising to investigate Swedish ships.

Well you are my friend forever now! :glomp:

Feel free to sperg about Swedish tanks or boats anytime imo

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
I fully expect my fame to last for about 15 minutes, but the eccentric professor sounds like your role Hammerstein

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

The Pensacola is just so boring after the Cleveland :(

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
I have not had a good match in the Peniscola yet.. it takes more getting used to than the effortless brutality that is the Cleveland. Don't feel bad Fart Car.. it's going to take some time to learn it and hopefully by then you will be on the way out of it. I don't feel it is a keeper for me at least.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

grrarg posted:

T4 Japanese cruiser Kuma is a lot of fun too. Basically a Japanese DD without the lovely guns.

Confirming this. You're a fat DD without smoke, but enough guns to at least severely annoy cruisers and mulch real DDs. Works even better in their historical role in a pack with a few true DDs laying down smoke for the torpedo run because it can fight off enemy DDs trying to interfere and finish any near-dead survivors of the torpedo run with guns.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

demonR6 posted:

I have not had a good match in the Peniscola yet.. it takes more getting used to than the effortless brutality that is the Cleveland. Don't feel bad Fart Car.. it's going to take some time to learn it and hopefully by then you will be on the way out of it. I don't feel it is a keeper for me at least.

I've done fine with it, it's just boring and I'm not really getting the impression that the bigger guns are actually much more useful against BBs

Fart Car '97 fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Mar 26, 2015

Vorkosigan
Mar 28, 2012

http://www.navweaps.com/index_tech/index_tech.htm

I think someone referenced an article on the differences between IJN and USN rangekeeper/finders a while back, but the same site has a wealth of really cool info. I particularly like the summary in this one: http://www.navweaps.com/index_tech/tech-093.pdf

The US Navy posted:

As part of the Naval Explosives Safety Improvment Program (NESIP) a
series of tests have been conducted to verify predictions concerning the
sympathetic detonability of 16" /50 HC projectiles. Analytical studies could
not rule out the possibility of sympathetic detonation. Based on the test
results, a reaction probability of eleven percent can be estimated. With this
estimate of the reaction probability, it is assessed that the 16" /50 HC
projectile (loaded with Explosive D) will not mass detonate.

Better not model in magazine detonations on the Iowa :colbert:

(Yes I know the powder can still detonate)

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy

Fart Car '97 posted:

I've done fine with it, it's just boring and I'm not really getting the impression that the bigger guns are actually much more useful against BBs

The range is what is killing me.. not quite 16km and dealing with BB's that can clearly outrange me and oftentimes due to MM you are playing the role of BB.

Dammit_Carl!
Mar 5, 2013
I think I've arrived; suffered not one but two "friendly fire," torpedo incidents in two back-to-back games - promptly started calling everyone "cunts," and ragequit for the night.

Awesome!

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
ask me about getting torpedoed by my division mate

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

TheFluff posted:

ask me about getting torpedoed by my division mate

I got torpedoed and sunk by a friendly carrier so his division mate had a clear line of fire for his torpedoes against the battleship I was slipping into a channel to get away from.

Artless Meat
Apr 7, 2008

Fart Car '97 posted:

The Pensacola is just so boring after the Cleveland :(

That's why they should split CAs and CLs (even if the Cleveland is only a CL by gun size)

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I was just rammed and lit on fire by a Nagato on my team who fired through me to hit an enemy ship on the other side not 5km away. I need to remember to turn off my Romulan Cloaking Device I guess?

He was nice enough to say he did not realize I was there because he was in sniper mode so it is one of those players who likely drives with it on from the start and gets target fixation.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Stevefin posted:

Yeah the triangles above torps are gone, the indicators near the cross air is gone, and even the sound is gone

The mod with reticle mode always on checks out good and the players panel icons.

The French Army
Mar 28, 2013

:france: Honneur et Patrie :france:

If there are any more boat beta codes left, I'd like to have one too please. Thanks in advance. I hear there's some sort of waiting list as well, I'll assume I'm at the end of the line now.

OSad
Feb 29, 2012

I don't need the Cleveland because I Aoba every day!

O-oh.. :smugjones:

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Poil posted:

I have the -10% service time to aircraft and -10% time for torpedo bombers. Still takes a really long time. I bet the reload time was set with the assumption that you'll have both those skills. If planes could land faster and more reliably or even land and takeoff planes at the same time or just cut down the time it takes for planes to lift, half the time would make more sense, it would make carriering a lot less annoying. :rant:
It's not even the service time that's annoying, it's the speed at which your planes fly so that even when you're trying to sit as far ahead as possible you generally find yourself flying about 1/3 to 1/2 of the map distance wise to the enemy ships which leads to 3 or 4 minutes round time.

Krataar
Sep 13, 2011

Drums in the deep

I drive all the time in sniper mode and still manage to not torp teammates or drive into them. Islands though...

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

The French Army posted:

If there are any more boat beta codes left, I'd like to have one too please. Thanks in advance. I hear there's some sort of waiting list as well, I'll assume I'm at the end of the line now.

I'll get you on the list later today. Edit your post for US or EU

Also, the people giving out keys can pick whatever order they want, it's their keys, their rules. But yeah, you're at the end of a relatively short list.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

Insert name here posted:

It's not even the service time that's annoying, it's the speed at which your planes fly so that even when you're trying to sit as far ahead as possible you generally find yourself flying about 1/3 to 1/2 of the map distance wise to the enemy ships which leads to 3 or 4 minutes round time.

I'm pretty sure the 95 knot torpedo bombers on the Independence aren't even twice as fast as a 40 knot destroyer. :psyduck:

SuperSix
Aug 22, 2012
Half HP in my Aoba when a Cleveland rounds a corner 4k away. I can almost feel his smug rear end look as he proceed to lay into me with a billion guns. I've got about 300 hp left when he's passing me less than 300meters away.

I launch all 4 torps and BOOM.

Bye bye Cleveland

oh and then another Cleveland one shotted me

SuperSix fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Mar 26, 2015

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:
What an idiot; never drive at ships that have torpedoes

Yesterday I ended up in a 1v1 against an Aoba in my Cleveland and his torps forced me to keep my rear end directly towards him for like 90%+ of the fight. Still won cause none of his torps hit and half a Cleveland is still better in a gun fight than any Japanese shitbox cruiser. :coal:

SuperSix
Aug 22, 2012

Insert name here posted:

What an idiot; never drive at ships that have torpedoes

Yesterday I ended up in a 1v1 against an Aoba in my Cleveland and his torps forced me to keep my rear end directly towards him for like 90%+ of the fight. Still won cause none of his torps hit and half a Cleveland is still better in a gun fight than any Japanese shitbox cruiser. :coal:

wait till you get into the penascola :smug:

Grakkus
Sep 4, 2011

Dalael posted:

Fixed that for you.

you're right, thats probably more accurate

Trogdos!
Jul 11, 2009

A DRAGON POKEMAN
well technically a water/flying type
Well, if there is a begging list for (US) keys then I better on it, since Wargaming doesn't seem to be emailing codes themselves v:v:v

Funny how just reading about WOWS destroyers and cruisers got me more interested in warships, I have all but ignored anything other than U-boats existed at the sea in WW2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

subhelios
May 26, 2013

Unfortunately, there is no such game as 'World of Submarines.'

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I'll get you on the list later today. Edit your post for US or EU

Also, the people giving out keys can pick whatever order they want, it's their keys, their rules. But yeah, you're at the end of a relatively short list.

He's on NA.