Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
I beat Lightning Returns and have finished the 13 trilogy.

The ending had minivans and Africa in it. Not some sort of fantasy future minivans either, regular old rear end minivans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"

Schwartzcough posted:

Different people will hate different ones among the three hellish minigames most. Far and away I hate the Chocobos more than anything, while lightning dodging and butterflies weren't that bad.

Yeah, for me lightning dodging was irritating, but but terrible. I just used the trick and kept careful count. Meanwhile butterflies got more irritating than they were worth in ten minutes and I took one look at chocobo racing and went "gently caress it".

I probably could've done the butterflies if I'd cared more, but at that point I wasn't using Kimahri at all so why even bother?

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

The Taint Reaper posted:

I beat Lightning Returns and have finished the 13 trilogy.

The ending had minivans and Africa in it. Not some sort of fantasy future minivans either, regular old rear end minivans.
At least you'll always have Paris.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Help Im Alive posted:

Luckily even if you're going for the platinum trophy you can skip the butterfly minigame because no one uses Kimahri and with all the arena stuff you'd be doing you can just make him a decent weapon with break damage limit etc

You still need to do it for a platinum, since one of the trophies is for obtaining all celestial weapons.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

You still need to do it for a platinum, since one of the trophies is for obtaining all celestial weapons.

The butterfly minigame just gets you the sigil, all you need for the trophy is the weapon itself (Which you get from that cactuar stone quest in the thunder plains I think)

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Help Im Alive posted:

The butterfly minigame just gets you the sigil, all you need for the trophy is the weapon itself (Which you get from that cactuar stone quest in the thunder plains I think)

Ah, you are right.

Oddly enough, I had zero problems with the butterflies. I got it on my third try, and I would have gotten it on my first if not for taking a step forward and getting booted out of the area. I just found a video of someone else doing it and watched his feet, then boom. You can also pause to see exactly where the red butterflies are for a couple of those tricky spots.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I can't say I miss the jrpg tradition of horrid minigames

Raphus C
Feb 17, 2011
I never did the Chocobo race. I got every celestial weapon and did some grinding until I took out the Dark Aeons, but I couldn't do the race.

Looking back at the time I spent on that game fills me with shame.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

I think the chocobo racing was the only one I got.

Get Innocuous!
Dec 6, 2011

come together
Lightning dodging was remarkably easy for me. I read a guide online that said to turn on No Encounters and turn off the sound on your TV so you don't get distracted by ambient lightning sounds that aren't the ones hitting you. I got to 100 on my first try.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I saw what you had to do and then went and killed Yevon

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

I got to 1.0 seconds on the chocobo race. So much rage. The level of perfection you have to have coupled with total RNG elements is really, really awful. And of course it can't be one of the poo poo characters whose sigil is locked behind it, it has to be the only person with an 8-hit Overdrive. You can't even learn the patterns, really, because balloon placement and bird spawns are both semi-random, and the birds just randomly decide who to divebomb.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

A Steampunk Gent posted:

You did the right thing.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

There we go, perfect chocobo run. I am now finished with every lovely minigame in FFX. Well, still have to do blitzball I guess, but that's honestly kind of relaxing and sort of fun compared to the others. Never again, chocobos.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
Kinda interesting Digital Foundry analysis of the Type-0 HD port. Their take on it was that the team handling the new engine actually did a fantastic port job (aside from the heavy camera motion-blur and digital camera increments), but that it was the crappy assets from Square Enix (old low-poly models and original super-low res textures) that made it often look disappointing. http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2015-final-fantasy-type-0-hd-face-off

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Schwartzcough posted:

So this is what I found for the Knowing Tags (based on the translation of the PSP original, I believe):

Here is what you obtain by exchanging a number of Knowing Tag to the moogle at the entrance :

Nothing too amazing then, apart from maybe the two that sound like equipment. Although I suppose Phoenix Downs/Pinions are probably really useful in this (I haven't seen any yet and it seems that reviving people would be handy) Thanks for digging that up.

This had better be real or I will be sad.

There we go, perfect chocobo run. I am now finished with every lovely minigame in FFX. Well, still have to do blitzball I guess, but that's honestly kind of relaxing and sort of fun compared to the others. Never again, chocobos.

Well it is once you sign Nimrook anyway.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Schwartzcough posted:

Kinda interesting Digital Foundry analysis of the Type-0 HD port. Their take on it was that the team handling the new engine actually did a fantastic port job (aside from the heavy camera motion-blur and digital camera increments), but that it was the crappy assets from Square Enix (old low-poly models and original super-low res textures) that made it often look disappointing. http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2015-final-fantasy-type-0-hd-face-off

I didn't have an issue with the overall visuals, if you went in with reasonable expectations, it was fine. And plenty of the later areas are very cool.

The motion blur and camera are inexcusable though.

Worse is the camera was brought up as an issue when it was demoed like months and months ago and they were all 'yeah we'll fix it!'. Nope.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

A Steampunk Gent posted:

that is the second most correct way to play FFX, the first obviously being playing FFX-2 instead

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

McDragon posted:

This had better be real or I will be sad.

It's real, though it's of course pretty much impossible to read in game.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

I got to 1.0 seconds on the chocobo race. So much rage. The level of perfection you have to have coupled with total RNG elements is really, really awful. And of course it can't be one of the poo poo characters whose sigil is locked behind it, it has to be the only person with an 8-hit Overdrive. You can't even learn the patterns, really, because balloon placement and bird spawns are both semi-random, and the birds just randomly decide who to divebomb.

Protip: overdrives are nice, but you'll want to switch over to Quick Hit if you're thinking of tackling the superbosses. They tend to counter overdrives with attacks that do fixed max damage to your entire party.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

The White Dragon posted:

Protip: overdrives are nice, but you'll want to switch over to Quick Hit if you're thinking of tackling the superbosses. They tend to counter overdrives with attacks that do fixed max damage to your entire party.

Yeah, I mostly wanted it so I could one-shot One Eye to farm the Triple AP weapons to make the Don Tonberry trick less mind-numbing. It's still pretty tedious, but the alternative is just Zanmato-ing all the superbosses and I'd rather have some challenge.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

I got to 1.0 seconds on the chocobo race. So much rage.

Only 1.0? Pfft, you don't know true rage until you get exactly 0.0 and realise you need to get it below that.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Welp.....I have to buy a PS4 now, poo poo.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

Schwartzcough posted:

Hexadrive is very talented. They already pulled a miracle with the patch for the PS3 version of Zone of the Enders HD. I hope they keep finding work since it's getting pretty dire for Japanese console game development. If last week is anything to go by, Japanese publishers aren't exactly lining up to hire technically skilled console development support studios.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Just got an email to download FF Record Keeper, the new iOS game. It's up on the U.S. store

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Just got an email to download FF Record Keeper, the new iOS game. It's up on the U.S. store

I've been playing it for a couple hours now and at least so far I kinda like it. I haven't managed to run out of F2P energy yet. Gameplay is just repeated battles, but as a shameless fanservice product it seems pretty loving exceptional. 16-bit sprites even from the newer games! Music from when Final Fantasy was still good (ie. you were 12)! Nostalgia overload!

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I just finished KH1, I've never played this series before.

Anything I should know going into Chain of Memories?

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

victrix posted:

Get ready for the story getting off its meds.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Veib posted:

I've been playing it for a couple hours now and at least so far I kinda like it. I haven't managed to run out of F2P energy yet. Gameplay is just repeated battles, but as a shameless fanservice product it seems pretty loving exceptional. 16-bit sprites even from the newer games! Music from when Final Fantasy was still good (ie. you were 12)! Nostalgia overload!

I'm mildly annoyed that it won't work without data/wifi though. I was going to use it as a commute game (I take a train to work) but there's like 10 minutes of said commute in underground tunnels with no signal. :(

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Kyrosiris posted:

I'm mildly annoyed that it won't work without data/wifi though. I was going to use it as a commute game (I take a train to work) but there's like 10 minutes of said commute in underground tunnels with no signal. :(

Usually the way these F2P games work is they'll connect to the internet in menus and stuff but if you're inside a dungeon they won't. So if FF ends up having long post-game dungeons you might be able to actually enter one and play during those 10 minutes until you clear it.

I got a Warrior + Tidus as some sort of bonus, is there any downside to using a full party?

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Is the entirety of Chain of Memories random battles and cards? Cuz if so I think I'm just moving on to KH2.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Veib posted:

Are there Lightning sprites?

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

victrix posted:

TARDISman posted:

Gameplaywise, Chain of Memories is vastly different, using a deck system to determine what attacks you have access to in battle. Your deck is customizable outside of battle. In battle, you select you attack by using the x button, which will use the card currently on display from your deck. You can cycle through these cards, and once you have used all the cards in your deck, there is an action you can take to reload your deck.

During battle you can store combinations of cards to unleash more powerful attacks called slights.

Combat takes place in a plane much like in Final fight, where you can move into the foreground or background, or left and right, or jump. Exploration involves an isometric view.

The game is relatively easy, and a great light JRPG. HOWEVER this is where Kingdom's strange intergame megaplot starts to unfold, and will make absolutely no sense. And from here on the strange Gordian Knot that is the Kingdom Hearts storyline will be presented to you in all its insane Jediriffic glory.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Veib posted:

Downloaded this as well. I would pay a lot of money for FFIV Complete PSP-quality sprite remakes of all the hideous Final Fantasies (7-12).

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?
Show me which you'll choose!

I got a Warrior + Tidus as some sort of bonus, is there any downside to using a full party?

Nope! Full up to your heart's content. Warrior's super good to give a spare synergy weapon to so you can spread your damage boosts, even.

Some menu clunkiness aside, goddamn, this game is what All The Bravest should have been.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Shaezerus posted:

Nope! Full up to your heart's content. Warrior's super good to give a spare synergy weapon to so you can spread your damage boosts, even.

Some menu clunkiness aside, goddamn, this game is what All The Bravest should have been.

What makes him better at the synergy stuff? At the moment I'm doing my main guy, white/black Mage, wakka, tidus.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

TARDISman posted:

It's sort of silly that the spin-off with the least strange name is where the already loose screws on the story just fell out entirely.

epitasis posted:

Downloaded this as well. I would pay a lot of money for FFIV Complete PSP-quality sprite remakes of all the hideous Final Fantasies (7-12).

10 HD looks fine. Just uh don't look at non-player characters too closely

Killing Vector
May 3, 2009

victrix posted:

Is the entirety of Chain of Memories random battles and cards? Cuz if so I think I'm just moving on to KH2.

Good luck following the first few hours of KH2 without having played through Chain of Memories. I mean, not that the rest of the series is terribly coherent in general, but it's especially bad in this case.

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?
Show me which you'll choose!

What makes him better at the synergy stuff? At the moment I'm doing my main guy, white/black Mage, wakka, tidus.

Probably just personal choice, 'cause I thought Warrior was able to equip more stuff than he can; in the FF4 sets I gave him a Kunai and he suddenly jumped from about 80-100ish damage to competing with the nigh-unstoppable monstrosity that is home-turf Kain. Synergy bonuses are crazy.

Shaezerus fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Mar 26, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Killing Vector posted:

Good luck following the first few hours of KH2 without having played through Chain of Memories. I mean, not that the rest of the series is terribly coherent in general, but it's especially bad in this case.

Bitch, I moved on to KH2 without even finishing 1. I didn't get past dragon Maleficent.