Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pram
Jun 10, 2001
lol that in Linux you're segregated to a set of applications unless you want to install a million qt packages

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

pram posted:

lol that in Linux you're segregated to a set of applications unless you want to install a million qt packages

agreed

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
yeah i wish everyone would dump the kde framework and use gnome's including kde itself, it would only be good

pram
Jun 10, 2001
on the os I use all the apps use the cocoa framework. works p well imo hth

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
got my tablet working properly in debian. now I can pretend it's a viable desktop

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Silver Alicorn posted:

got my tablet working properly in debian. now I can pretend it's a viable desktop

wish you'd pretend to be a viable poster

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

have you seen my panda thread :smugmrgw:

pram
Jun 10, 2001
hes kind of a big deal in the red panda scene

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:

Silver Alicorn posted:

im not anything in this post.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Celexi posted:

i wish i could try krita without installing all the kde garbage

oh no, a few hundred megs of hdd space

it will cost me almost a nickel to use this otherwise free software!!!

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
what the gently caress is the linux obsession with package counts? why the gently caress do beardos get so mad about the number of bytes their software takes up?

the most "bloated" linux desktops are measured in hundreds of megabytes. i have thumb drives big enough to run an entire gnome AND have kde installed AND maybe xfce. you know, the kinds of thumb drives people give away for free at conferences and festivals

i kinda understood the "bloat" thing back in floppy days but then CDs got cheap and i stopped caring, forever. "bloat" was a dumb concept 15 years ago, now it's so far beyond dumb i don't even have a word for it

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

what the gently caress is the linux obsession with package counts? why the gently caress do beardos get so mad about the number of bytes their software takes up?

the most "bloated" linux desktops are measured in hundreds of megabytes. i have thumb drives big enough to run an entire gnome AND have kde installed AND maybe xfce. you know, the kinds of thumb drives people give away for free at conferences and festivals

i kinda understood the "bloat" thing back in floppy days but then CDs got cheap and i stopped caring, forever. "bloat" was a dumb concept 15 years ago, now it's so far beyond dumb i don't even have a word for it

i call it dumb 2

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

no, you see, if programmers would actually optimize properly we could all still be using pentium IIIs with 256mb of ram

pram
Jun 10, 2001
it's not unreasonable to not want two entire frameworks and all their dependencies installed when you only want to use one qt program

imho

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

carry on then posted:

no, you see, if programmers would actually optimize properly we could all still be using pentium IIIs with 256mb of ram

I was going to say something similar but a bit more elaborate

grognards remember how fast their atari booted up and they imagine just how powerful this 3ghz beast w/ 2gb of value price ram could be if only programmers would do things like they used to

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

pram posted:

it's not unreasonable to not want two entire frameworks and all their dependencies installed when you only want to use one qt program

imho

oh no two entire frameworks

if distros just preloaded them non-optionally nobody would care

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

you have to install crap like flash, AIR and .NET on Windows and somehow people survive

pram
Jun 10, 2001
you are wrong. people would care. enough to start forking distros about it

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

look at this guy who cant afford an ssd

pram
Jun 10, 2001
idk if u guys realize this but qt is unfree software and you have all unwillingly fallen into the hoarders tricky trap by advocating for it

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

pram posted:

idk if u guys realize this but qt is unfree software and you have all unwillingly fallen into the hoarders tricky trap by advocating for it

holy poo poo am I not advocating for Qt

pram
Jun 10, 2001
look at captain kde over here crying that poo poo isn't in Ubuntu what a loving baby

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

kubuntu :smugmrgw:

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

pram posted:

imho

your opinion is dumb

frameworks and dependencies make it possible to write good apps without spending 100% of developer time reinventing wheels. every dependency is a blessing

pram
Jun 10, 2001
I agree completely. as I said the os I use has one framework called cocoa and it works really well

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

pram posted:

I agree completely. as I said the os I use has one framework called cocoa and it works really well

the os you use packages every app with its dependencies in a bundle, so you have like ten copies of qt installed

pram
Jun 10, 2001
I don't think so Tim

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

pram posted:

I don't think so Tim

do you have skype and spotify? two qt apps right there

pram
Jun 10, 2001
omg is that why the spotify client is such a massive piece of poo poo

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
kde crap and gnome crap never meshes 100% neatly in terms of visuals and ui conventions in general

they half rear end it to maybe 80% of the way there if you're lucky

i guess it's not as bad as windows software because at least it isn't aggressively bad due to some marketing chode sticking his fingers into the process but it's still sloppy like

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014

pram posted:

omg is that why the spotify client is such a massive piece of poo poo

it's much, much worse than qt

pram
Jun 10, 2001
qt, chrome, and carbon. amazing. spotify is basically a crime against humanity

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
I just install evrey desktop environment available of ubunut. Seeing the update notification alert again immediately after updating is just like ASMR.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

pram posted:

captain kde

mooooods

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge

pram posted:

look at kaptain kde over here
fixed

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!
Just use KDE: The Least Garbage Linux Desktop, and then you already have the packages you need to run whatever it is I can't be assed to scoll up.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
i like how the windows key works on gnome. it does a expose clone which i liked on osx. good for lappies

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge

ZShakespeare posted:

Just use KDE: The Least Garbage Linux Desktop, and then you already have the packages you need to run whatever it is I can't be assed to scoll up.
a program for drawing anime

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

to be fair it did in fact work with the pressure sensitivity on my tablet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

that's saying a lot for a lijnux