Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Thyrork posted:

E: I mean, I get it when say, Young Adult is applied to cheesy, Teenage drama stories. But Mistborn? Mistborn is dark, and it just happens to include a cheesy teenage love story woven in.

The most successful young adult series of the past decade is literally about children being forced to murder each other. Mistborn may be a bit more mature in tone, but "darkness" isn't really a good way to determine if a book is YA or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
True. Bah. Its such a confusing tag, its why people who dislike anything associated with it confuse me even more. :smith:

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Mortanis posted:

Fantasy languages with a half dozen apostrophes per sentence are way more egregious. Or reversing it like in Kingkiller Chronicles and having a character declare only wines from Vint can have a vintage, just to be clever with wordplay in a fantasy setting.

That sounds like a pretty funny satire of champagne snobs, actually.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

I know WoR has been out for a whilebut

I hope that Sil isn't dead :ohdear:

When that chapter started, I was half convinced that it was a dream state or something because it seemed so off to start with.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

Mortanis posted:

People must get really mad at Star Wars using 'rendezvous' and 'hell' in Empire.

Han saying "Then I'll see you in hell!" is the only thing that bothers me about Empire. It's kinda the one odd out of place thing that could have been avoided with a different, less contemporary phrase with the same meaning.

Also, YA isn't well defined but can be kinda sorta primarily deduced from the age of the protagonists, anything else is literally just marketing. I also thought Mistborn wasn't actually intended to be YA?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Mistborn wasn't originally intended as YA, but a version with a different cover was produced for the YA market.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

I just finished stormlight book 2 a week or so ago. I understand why people have complaints about Lift and her awesomeness, but I don't care. That interlude was the best one of both books and a welcome breath of fresh air in the series. Can't wait for her to meet up with Kaladin and crew.

I must of missed it, but was it ever mentioned what her age was? In my mind she's somewhere around 12-14.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Cartoon Man posted:

I just finished stormlight book 2 a week or so ago. I understand why people have complaints about Lift and her awesomeness, but I don't care. That interlude was the best one of both books and a welcome breath of fresh air in the series. Can't wait for her to meet up with Kaladin and crew.

I must of missed it, but was it ever mentioned what her age was? In my mind she's somewhere around 12-14.

She's around 13. She claims she's been 10 for 3 years or something like that.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Silver2195 posted:

She's around 13. She claims she's been 10 for 3 years or something like that.

I finished that Audiobook section a few days ago.

She's 13.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Are there any spoilerish theories on who or what that evil guy is that was chasing her?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

The former herald of justice, Javert.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Tunicate posted:

The former herald of justice, Javert Nale.

Fixed. I cannot recall a character named Javert in Stormlight Archive at all.

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

Torrannor posted:

Fixed. I cannot recall a character named Javert in Stormlight Archive at all.

I think I remember him from the musical version. He's pretty miserable.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe

Cartoon Man posted:

I really liked that part as well but I can see why people think it was out of place for these books.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Just finished WoR

That final Adolin section was a literal "yessssssssssss" moment

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

tithin posted:

Just finished WoR

That final Adolin section was a literal "yessssssssssss" moment

You know it's going to cause all kinds of problems though

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Levitate posted:

AAAAALL kinds of problems. :allears:

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Lobsterpillar posted:

I think I remember him from the musical version. He's pretty miserable.
At a Q/A with Sanderson, he was asked if Justice might be from the gutter, too.

He said read and find out.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Levitate posted:

But it solved a lot of them, too. And don't forget that only broken people can become Knights Radiants, so it's just set up for Adolin's further character arc.

Genuine Fake
Oct 2, 2004

Torrannor posted:

But it solved a lot of them, too. And don't forget that only broken people can become Knights Radiants, so it's just set up for Adolin's further character arc.

Personally I don't think Adolin will ever become a real Knight Radiant. Maybe a... squire(?) of the Windrunners at most, but I think that's probably unlikely as well.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
I just hope he doesn't go for the trite Shallan falls for Kaladin setup that potentially exists. I don't know why it would annoy me, but it really absolutely would.

Hopeford
Oct 15, 2010

Eh, why not?

Holy_Zarquon posted:

Personally I don't think Adolin will ever become a real Knight Radiant. Maybe a... squire(?) of the Windrunners at most, but I think that's probably unlikely as well.

My dream scenario would be for Adolin to never become a knight Radiant but remain able to outfight most of them just on virtue by being so much better than everyone else in 1 on 1 duels.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Captain Monkey posted:

I just hope he doesn't go for the trite Shallan falls for Kaladin setup that potentially exists. I don't know why it would annoy me, but it really absolutely would.

The chapter after they

escape from the high storm, he can't stop thinking about her and trying to look for her, and she keeps thinking about him and can't decide if she should go for either of them.

So yeah, it's probably going to happen

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED
I want to believe Sanderson won't go in that direction because it's just such a blindingly obvious and cliche setup. He's clubbing us over the head with it. Please let it be a platonic friendship and mutual respect that's forming and nothing more, please?

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
I'm expecting that they'll feel drawn to each other and almost be all ready to make out or whatever and then she finds out he's the one who killed her brother and poo poo will hit the fan and that will ultimately prevent them from having a relationship but they will eventually settle into a mutual like and understanding

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

High chance Shallan/Kaladin/Adolin is a thing. Someone asked him to confirm he wasn't going to go the obvious route and make them a love triangle and he seemed taken aback by the question.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

TOOT BOOT posted:

High chance Shallan/Kaladin/Adolin is a thing. Someone asked him to confirm he wasn't going to go the obvious route and make them a love triangle and he seemed taken aback by the question.

"I'm not a fan of the traditional love triangle. However, I am fond of conflict in relationships."

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Hopeford posted:

My dream scenario would be for Adolin to never become a knight Radiant but remain able to outfight most of them just on virtue by being so much better than everyone else in 1 on 1 duels.

They do have that Honorblade.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

My theory since I read book 2 was that, assuming Adolin's ending puts him down a "darker path", Kaladin will end up killing Adolin at some point. Just the vibe I got.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
My theory is that there will be drama where Adolin catches the two making out and throws a hissyfit which will further turn him onto his path to darkness, this will force Kaladin/Dalinar to cleanse/kill Adolin at some point.

Tahirovic fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Mar 30, 2015

Hopeford
Oct 15, 2010

Eh, why not?

Tahirovic posted:

My theory is that there will be drama where Adolin catches the two making out and throws a hissyfit which will further turn him onto his path to darkness, this will force Kaladin/Dalinar to cleanse/kill Adolin at some point.

While that's not unlikely, man I'd hate that. Words of Radiance was pretty much Top Gun featuring swords instead of jets. I don't want their bromance to go out of the window for some dumb love triangle.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

tithin posted:

The chapter after they

escape from the high storm, he can't stop thinking about her and trying to look for her, and she keeps thinking about him and can't decide if she should go for either of them.

So yeah, it's probably going to happen

I know. :smith: It's going to be awful.

At least there's this

Tunicate posted:

"I'm not a fan of the traditional love triangle. However, I am fond of conflict in relationships."

:unsmith: ?

Hopeford posted:

While that's not unlikely, man I'd hate that. Words of Radiance was pretty much Top Gun featuring swords instead of jets. I don't want their bromance to go out of the window for some dumb love triangle.

This is what I want. Kaladin gets to be Goose except he's also a badass, where Adolin is straight up Mav all day long and they're awesome badass BFFs forever. :black101:

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Hopeford posted:

Kaladin is on the other side of the planet who knows when they will interact again. Or when we will get Sil/Pattern interaction we were robbed if by the end of book glossing.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Captain Monkey posted:

I know. :smith: It's going to be awful.

At least there's this

:unsmith: ?

This is what I want. Kaladin gets to be Goose except he's also a badass, where Adolin is straight up Mav all day long and they're awesome badass BFFs forever. :black101:

Goose WAS a bad-rear end! And Meg Ryan > Kelly McGillis so even though he ended up dead, he still wins.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Tahirovic posted:

I swear to god if this series becomes a script for a CW show I'm going to burn it to save money on my heating bill.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Che Delilas posted:

I swear to god if this series becomes a script for a CW show I'm going to burn it to save money on my heating bill.
It most likely will because romance is part of the human story and there are only so many ways to tell a dramatic tale of love.

I think the fairest complaint anyone could have is that there are very few likely outcomes that are good for Adolin. I think one of the best case scenarios would involve Shallan getting ~*~*~feelings~*~*~ for Kaladin and confronting him about it and Kaladin going "yeah i feel some of that too but uh i have, almost literally, gone through hell and now have real power to change the world for the better so i'm gonna do that and ignore all that" and that would be the end of that.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
I recently watched some JAG, so I'd know plenty of other bad ways he could write this. Looking back at Sanderson's other books it's hard to guess which way he'll go.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
My offhand guess is Kaladin falls for Shallan's disguise.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

ruby idiot railed posted:

My offhand guess is Kaladin falls for Shallan's disguise.

Don't you mean safehand guess?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe

Captain Monkey posted:

Um what. Clearly they're Mav and Iceman. Tien and the various Tien replacements are Goose.

Proof: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fWr6CBARMw