Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Talorat posted:

Finally finished this. I didn't get the achivement for not killing anyone as the writer though, what gives? Do you have to some how not kill that very first door man guy? There's no way to avoid beating the poo poo out of him right?

You didn't unlock the secret level and subsequently not kill anybody in that one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Talorat posted:

Finally finished this. I didn't get the achivement for not killing anyone as the writer though, what gives? Do you have to some how not kill that very first door man guy? There's no way to avoid beating the poo poo out of him right?

There's a secret level you have to do. Check the answering machine before the subway level

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Improbable Lobster posted:

There's a secret level you have to do. Check the answering machine before the subway level

Wrong secret level. The one with enemies is the one you unlock by not dying on Jake's final stage of his final level and then grabbing the disk off of the table.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
My favorite part of that interview is where he says only stupid people would look at their game as a cheap ripoff of hotline miami. :smug:

Beekeeping and You
Sep 27, 2011

quote:

What's your opinion about the situation in the country?

Dev: We think that it's really bad and we don't want nuclear war. By the way, we wanted to do this ending, but we abandoned it since it is already in Hotline Miami 2.

hahahahahahaha holy poo poo

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
I hated chapter 18 a lot but the two levels after that are loving excellent.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

The Saddest Rhino posted:

The soundtrack is completely not Hotline Miami but it sure is baller af

http://steamcommunity.com/app/348020/discussions/0/611701999524121907/

Pretty much imagining the interviewer being

Hotline Miami: Even the knockoffs are hilariously classy

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Your favorite furry wrestler.
I don't know if this has been discussed here but the wiki (spoilers ahead) seems to think the Duke Nukem looking mother fucker is the Colonel due to the fact their facial sprites are nearly the same, having the same nose and forehead wrinkles. Any thoughts?

EDIT: I think not by the way because the mole on the Colonel's face is missing on Duke Nukem-looking guy but if you guys have thoughts I'd like to hear them.

Lacedaemonius
Jan 18, 2015

Rub a dub dub

Skunkrocker posted:

I don't know if this has been discussed here but the wiki (spoilers ahead) seems to think the Duke Nukem looking mother fucker is the Colonel due to the fact their facial sprites are nearly the same, having the same nose and forehead wrinkles. Any thoughts?

EDIT: I think not by the way because the mole on the Colonel's face is missing on Duke Nukem-looking guy but if you guys have thoughts I'd like to hear them.

I don't see it, with the jowls and different hue of the face it just doesn't fit. I think the General that you occasionally talk to at the end of a couple missions is Douk.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

How in gods name are you supposed to do the third screen of The Abyss without using guns?

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
It's seriously ridiculous how much of the plot is obscured by Dennaton reusing assets.

I personally don't think the Fans are in the Hawaii bar, by the way.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

How in gods name are you supposed to do the third screen of The Abyss without using guns?

I made it by strafing into guys' vision for a moment before running away to pull them around doorways and corners.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Pirate Jet posted:

It's seriously ridiculous how much of the plot is obscured by Dennaton reusing assets.

I personally don't think the Fans are in the Hawaii bar, by the way.

Well if it were just a fat guy alone, or long-dark-haired girl alone, or bald guy and/or blonde girl alone then you might have a point. But they're all seated together, so it's either the fans or Dennaton are loving with us intentionally because they know all the characters look the same from an overhead view if they're wearing generic uniforms.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

get good

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Lacedaemonius posted:

I don't see it, with the jowls and different hue of the face it just doesn't fit. I think the General that you occasionally talk to at the end of a couple missions is Douk.

"The General that you occasionally talk to at the end of a couple missions"

You mean The Colonel? The guy I'm talking about?

I'm not talking about the fat soldier and Jake.

Look at the HLM Wiki page I linked to, they compare the two sprites and they're almost spot on.

EDIT: Someone JUST removed the picture that shows the two having almost the same exact features, it's in the history being removed because "they simply used the same sprite for the two faces (thay did such a thing for a lot of characters)"

Skunkrocker fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Mar 29, 2015

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
I beat the abyss in a single try. I guess I'm awesome? It was not that hard, hth.

Lacedaemonius
Jan 18, 2015

Rub a dub dub

Skunkrocker posted:

"The General that you occasionally talk to at the end of a couple missions"

You mean The Colonel? The guy I'm talking about?

I'm not talking about the fat soldier and Jake.

Look at the HLM Wiki page I linked to, they compare the two sprites and they're almost spot on.

EDIT: Someone JUST removed the picture that shows the two having almost the same exact features, it's in the history being removed because "they simply used the same sprite for the two faces (thay did such a thing for a lot of characters)"

Neither am I. I mean the guy at the end of 'Stronghold' I think it is, who congratulates you for taking the camp and the Russkies killed a company of his men trying to take it before, then tells Beard to get some rest. That guy.

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Lacedaemonius posted:

Neither am I. I mean the guy at the end of 'Stronghold' I think it is, who congratulates you for taking the camp and the Russkies killed a company of his men trying to take it before, then tells Beard to get some rest. That guy.

Anyone got a screenshot of this guy?

edit: Well, never mind. Hope this doesn't spoil anything for anyone.

The Colonel, talking about becoming a general.

Guy at the end of Stronghold.

50 Blessings Duke Nukem looking Dude

Now the theory is that the reason why Duke's face looks different at the bottom is not because it's supposed to be stubble, but that it's an appliance, along with a wig, to prevent him from being recognized as the now Lieutenant General.

Skunkrocker fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Mar 29, 2015

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

I don't see it. The mouth area's different on all three.

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Waffle! posted:

I don't see it. The mouth area's different on all three.

Yeah, and the mole is missing, so... but it's pretty obviously one sprite edited into the other; the ear's the same, forehead is the same, nose is pretty much the same (the only difference is around the "edited" part, everything else is spot on)

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
I'd get that mole off my face if I had it.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Something kinda funny happened to me jsut now. I was playing Demolition to S rank it for one of the two last achievements I need to 100% HLM2.

I respawned while being hit in the face. So I can't hit escape to exit out of the level, and need to restart the whole game. :frog:

Is there any way to make a .gif through Steam itsef, because it's kinda funny.

Another Pardo thing I noticed: he keeps talking about "With all the press this is gonna get the chief's gonna be on me really hard! My job's going to be on the line! When the SWAT detective is more just disgusted with the killer himself.

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Mar 29, 2015

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Are there no ammo refill crates in hard mode Hawaii levels?

I beat the second screen of Ambush with no ammo left. I couldn't find any ammo, so I went to the third screen. After dieing a lot, I accidentally aggroed the fat guy with a gun, but he emptied it into a corner. I killed the rest of the guys in the level, but there didn't seem to be any ammo there either.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Dr Christmas posted:

Are there no ammo refill crates in hard mode Hawaii levels?

I beat the second screen of Ambush with no ammo left. I couldn't find any ammo, so I went to the third screen. After dieing a lot, I accidentally aggroed the fat guy with a gun, but he emptied it into a corner. I killed the rest of the guys in the level, but there didn't seem to be any ammo there either.

There are but one screen of Ambush doesn't have it on any difficulty, iirc.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

The worst is the one guy halfway through the third screen who doesn't care that you just hit him with a thrown weapon. And if you get too close, he blasts you. It's 50/50 whether running into his aggro range will instantly kill you or let you kite him back around the corner. RNG to pass the level. It's bad.

Lonos Oboe
Jun 7, 2014
Jake is just Dermott from The Venture Brothers all grown up. I cannot be the only one who has seen this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4c8cixr3OaY

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Lonos Oboe posted:

Jake is just Dermott from The Venture Brothers all grown up.

I think Jake himself is a little more on the ball than Dermott is, with Dermott being a compulsive liar and all. Notice in the same video you linked that Dermott can't even hold a butterfly knife. Meanwhile, Jake is a master of the nunchaku.

Besides, I like to think of Jake being "Bobby Hill on crank." I mean who else would have ninja skills and access to the parts and tools to create a portable nailgun? The Son of a Propane Salesman. Yeah. :v:

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
Looking back i liked the Hawaii levels because it was like a Metal Gear where I had to kill everybody instead of sneaking by them.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Dangerous Person posted:

Looking back i liked the Hawaii levels because it was like a Metal Gear where I had to kill everybody instead of sneaking by them.

:agreed:

I think i'm giving up on trying to get the Jake secret, having to reclear two floors for each attempt is getting way too frustrating.

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

Tulip posted:

I think i'm giving up on trying to get the Jake secret, having to reclear two floors for each attempt is getting way too frustrating.

Just take your time. If you play slowly and take your time and aren't worried about combos, there's only a few spots in various stages in the game that are still difficult, and none of them are on that level. The third floor is noticeably easy, probably on purpose.

edit: I realize this came across like a 'get good' but really, just being patient and mindful of windows and stuff, and you can clear anything - there's really only a few spots where you have no choice but to handle 3+ guys, and fewer still where you have to do it without a corner.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

Tulip posted:

IIRC, only a death on the third floor matters, right? If you hit retry you go back to the first floor?

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Just belt through the bottom two floors as fast as you can and then take the third one as slow as all gently caress. You're doing this for the unlock, not the rating, so don't worry too much about it.

The way I do it is I make sure that there are always a few AK looking guns lying around when the floors are cleared. They have a huge ammo capacity and their fire rate is managable. Get a full one, head to the third floor, climb the next set of stairs (As if you were ascending to the next floor) and hide around there. It acts as a blind corner for anyone coming in. Fire a shot or two to pull half the level through the door and gun them down as they come in. Head out a little further, fire a few more shots and retreat. When most of the floor is dead, you can do a VERY CAREFUL sweep through the last few rooms and clear out any enemies.

For the dudes facing out the window in the top right, grab a shotgun, go all the way to the left, and just shoot until the ammo runs out. You'll knock the doors open and the pellets should kill them without giving them a chance to retaliate.

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Also use the nailgun. It's silenced. It helped me.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Tulip posted:

A nice way to cheese this is to take the nailgun but save it for the third floor. Just throw it in the stairwell and pick it back up when you move up a floor. There's more nails in the magazine then there are dudes on the third floor so it makes it trivial.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

The nailgun's curious property of not being able to execute dudes slumped against walls always bit me in the rear end somehow.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Jake is a noble bushido warrior and would never sully his honour by using his weapon in such a way

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Songbearer posted:

Jake is a noble bushido warrior and would never sully his honour by using his weapon in such a way

Always be Dallas.

Vic Boss
Jan 19, 2007

:ocelot:
You're pretty good.
:ocelot:

Firstborn posted:

I beat the abyss in a single try. I guess I'm awesome? It was not that hard, hth.

Non-lethally?

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Vic Boss posted:

Non-lethally?

So fun fact: That one glitch where you click the guy three times to get 2000 points as the writer? Still in. Just don't overclick it now.

It's kinda like "Oh I'm now angry AND I'M GONNA- wait no nevermind he's already harmless"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

widespread posted:

Always be Dallas.

Yep, both times I did an Abyss run I used Dallas (first time I hosed up and didn't follow through with Evan). Feels good, man.

But oy, that Abyss level. Funnily enough, someone was asking how you're supposed to beat it without going lethal, but I had the opposite problem. I did it nonlethal first for the achievement, and I intended to cut loose with a second run where I Hulk out. It was a lot more frustrating the second time and I just gave up. There are too many wide open areas and doorways, and if you fire a shot there's a good chance that five guys with guns are going to come from three different directions and kill you from off-screen.

• Locked thread