Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Canisters don't seem to even be a thing around here. I've never seen anyone with one and these threads are the first I've heard of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Does anyone have insight about the water situation in the Tahoe area? I'm concerned about having enough water if I can carry only 3 or 4 liters. I've seen varying advice on this - some people say there's plenty of year-round water while other people talk about caching water at trailheads in order to have enough. We would be doing the Tahoe Rim Trail in late July, and between the dry year and the relative lack of water sources on the northern-western area of the trail I'm a little worried.

Officer Sandvich
Feb 14, 2010

Picnic Princess posted:

Canisters don't seem to even be a thing around here. I've never seen anyone with one and these threads are the first I've heard of it.

It's a requirement in some heavily trafficked parks to try to prevent bears associating people with food more than they do. IIRC they're also required in the coastal section of Olympic National Park because of the horrible raccoon problem they have there.

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG

Ropes4u posted:

Quick question about bear canisters for any of the couples who hike together. Should my wife and I carry one giant canister or two separate ones? Why?

When they're required, my wife and I share one, and I carry it since my pack is larger. She carries other shared items. It works out well except when we both want to use it as a chair. The rest of the time we share an ursack, so we both carry food until we make camp.

Picnic Princess posted:

They're required in the backcountry of Rocky Mountain National Park, where I do most of my camping. Some other NPs require them as well, notable Yosemite, which affects JMT and PCT thru-hikers.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

beefnoodle posted:

When they're required, my wife and I share one, and I carry it since my pack is larger. She carries other shared items. It works out well except when we both want to use it as a chair. The rest of the time we share an ursack, so we both carry food until we make camp.

They're required in the backcountry of Rocky Mountain National Park, where I do most of my camping. Some other NPs require them as well, notable Yosemite, which affects JMT and PCT thru-hikers.

RMNP is where we will be hiking, probably use one canister for the two of us, I'm thinking a bearikade weekender.

Thanks everyone.

atomicgeek
Jul 5, 2007

noony noony noony nooooooo
Missouri hiking just isn't photogenic the way like, the Rockies are but I had a pretty good day hiking along the Missouri River:

Everything has a green haze on it and I can't wait until there are proper leaves and flowers. Still, nice with no bugs.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Officer Sandvich posted:

It's a requirement in some heavily trafficked parks to try to prevent bears associating people with food more than they do. IIRC they're also required in the coastal section of Olympic National Park because of the horrible raccoon problem they have there.

beefnoodle posted:

This is actually really great to know if I ever end up in those places. In the Canadian Rockies, almost all trails are in parks, which you can't camp anywhere unless it's a designated campground, and every campground has these installed now:

And in case you're wondering, no, padlocks are not required. They latch just fine without. I suppose if you're paranoid that someone will steal your food or stuff, you can lock it up, but then you come across as the douchiest person at the site because you're not sharing space with others. Those lockers can get full fast during busy times.

Time Cowboy
Nov 4, 2007

But Tarzan... The strangest thing has happened! I'm as bare... as the day I was born!

atomicgeek posted:

Missouri hiking just isn't photogenic the way like, the Rockies are but I had a pretty good day hiking along the Missouri River:

Everything has a green haze on it and I can't wait until there are proper leaves and flowers. Still, nice with no bugs.

Gorgeous! What's the name of the place you were hiking?

Green haze season won't even start here in southern New York for another two or three weeks. Hell, we're getting another couple inches of snow tonight on Long Island. But someday the season will turn. It has to, right?

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG

Ropes4u posted:

RMNP is where we will be hiking, probably use one canister for the two of us, I'm thinking a bearikade weekender.

Thanks everyone.

I'd love to see a trip report on the weekender. We have a bear vault, but one day I'd like to upgrade.

atomicgeek
Jul 5, 2007

noony noony noony nooooooo

Time Cowboy posted:

Gorgeous! What's the name of the place you were hiking?

Green haze season won't even start here in southern New York for another two or three weeks. Hell, we're getting another couple inches of snow tonight on Long Island. But someday the season will turn. It has to, right?

Weldon Spring Conservation Area. In addition to the State Parks system, we've got a Department of Conservation that runs nature areas (mostly for hunting & fishing, but they also put together some fantastic, well-kept trails for those of us who just hike).

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

First real hike with my new hiking boots, put in just under 14 miles today. Feels good, man.

Also, first time loving around with Hyperlapse. Pretty cool app. Wish I knew about the 1080p option before shooting all day though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cr6IaO5PTAA

Casu Marzu fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Mar 29, 2015

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIČRE IN ME

Picnic Princess posted:

This is actually really great to know if I ever end up in those places. In the Canadian Rockies, almost all trails are in parks, which you can't camp anywhere unless it's a designated campground, and every campground has these installed now:

And in case you're wondering, no, padlocks are not required. They latch just fine without. I suppose if you're paranoid that someone will steal your food or stuff, you can lock it up, but then you come across as the douchiest person at the site because you're not sharing space with others. Those lockers can get full fast during busy times.

Yeah, the drive in campsites will have those bear lockers, and even some of the heavily used back country sites will have them, but generally in the back country in places like Yosemite, you don't have a big setup like that because you're allowed to camp almost anywhere you'd like (some popular areas have restrictions but in general...)

And it turns out that people are either terrible at hanging a bear bag, or bears in those locations are too clever for bear bags anymore (or both). These are also areas with primarily black bears which seem to be better at foiling hanging bags since they're smaller and can climb better (or maybe I"m wrong on that)

Reformed Tomboy
Feb 2, 2005

chu~~

Levitate posted:

And it turns out that people are either terrible at hanging a bear bag, or bears in those locations are too clever for bear bags anymore (or both). These are also areas with primarily black bears which seem to be better at foiling hanging bags since they're smaller and can climb better (or maybe I"m wrong on that)

Nope, you are 100% correct. Bears in Yosemite can climb up to, and get a hung food bag. Even a well-hung one can be retrieved by a determined bear, which is why hanging food is banned in those areas. It didn't use to be, but the bears get smarter and rules have to be adjusted for that.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
There's also a number of areas at altitude where bears are known to roam but there aren't many trees. Bear canisters are pretty critical for those sorts of spots. The rangers will sometimes bring up bear boxes and just leave them at likely camping spots to help supplement hiker safety - but people are often pretty lazy about it nonetheless.

Kaal fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Mar 29, 2015

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
Has anyone here seasoned titanium cookware?

Also wondering if I can pull off eating only out of a snowpeaks mug for 3 weeks

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
I ate out of this for 4 weeks. I wouldn't have wanted anything smaller but I think it still counts as a mug.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Saint Fu posted:

I ate out of this for 4 weeks. I wouldn't have wanted anything smaller but I think it still counts as a mug.

Mine is the exact same size so I think it should work

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009
Purisima Creek, CA.

Hungryjack
May 9, 2003

Is anyone on here familiar with the process of getting overnight hiking permits for Mt. Whitney? I have been going through the lottery process (unsuccessfully) and this morning, the available dates opened up. Despite the fact that I had two browsers open clicking both of them as quickly as they would refresh and starting ten minutes early, every available date between June and September (all 60 permits per day) were instantly taken and I missed out yet again.

Is this normal? I know it's a popular mountain, but could that many people really be looking for overnight permits to climb Whitney? Or is there a secondary market for selling them that I don't know about?

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

I haven't gone for overnight Whitney permits myself but from what I hear yeah it's that popular. On the other hand it kinda sounds like you also just got unlucky :\

Basically it's a cool area and easy hike (relatively) to the top of the tallest mountain in the lower 48 so you get a ton of people who want to do it. I'm pretty sure all of the permits are non transferable so there's no secondary market (you have to show your ID to pick up your permit and it has to match what the Parks Service has on record for that permit).

If you live in the area you could try showing up the day of or the day before and getting a walk up permit. Availability of them is entirely dependent on people canceling, not picking up, or note confirming their reservations though.

Some info here:

http://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/inyo/passes-permits/recreation/?cid=stelprdb5356869

Hungryjack
May 9, 2003

If I was semi-local, I'd be all over that, but I have a group flying in from Houston. The only way we can make it work is to lock down dates several months in advance so we can set up airfare and make reservations for hotel and auto. Looks like my next window is May 1, when all assigned but unclaimed permits get released randomly throughout the day. I'll just have to be on my game all day long. My hope is that other groups got everyone in the group to enter the lottery (even though it specifically asks not to do that) and there are multiple winners in some groups so those permits will be released.

I do feel better knowing I wasn't beaten out by permit scalpers though.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

You won't get a permit for whitney. Its much better as a day trip anyway. Camping at 12,000 feet isn't ideal.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

African AIDS cum posted:

Camping at 12,000 feet isn't ideal.
+1 to this. Even after a month of acclimating, I still slept like poo poo at anything over 10-11k.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

I slept pretty good over 10,000 honestly. Not any worse than I normally do at 8,000, though very occasionally I'd feel like I didn't get enough of a breath for a brief second which was weird.

Also climbing Whitney and back as a day trip is not something that's easy to do at all considering you have to go up like 7000 feet in one day and deal with all of that acclimatization in one day. Seeing people struggling up the mountain looking like zombies because the altitude is kicking their rear end was concerning at some points. And then you still have to hike back down

If you're already flying in and have days off to spend you could try going in at a different trailhead and taking a multi day trip that lets you either exit from Whitney or climb Whitney and then back down and out the way you came in.

e: you could try getting a permit to go in through Horseshoe Meadows and exit through Whitney Portal, which from what I'm seeing is probably going to come in around 40 miles depending on your route perhaps.

Levitate fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Apr 1, 2015

Hungryjack
May 9, 2003

Levitate posted:

I slept pretty good over 10,000 honestly. Not any worse than I normally do at 8,000, though very occasionally I'd feel like I didn't get enough of a breath for a brief second which was weird.

Also climbing Whitney and back as a day trip is not something that's easy to do at all considering you have to go up like 7000 feet in one day and deal with all of that acclimatization in one day. Seeing people struggling up the mountain looking like zombies because the altitude is kicking their rear end was concerning at some points. And then you still have to hike back down

If you're already flying in and have days off to spend you could try going in at a different trailhead and taking a multi day trip that lets you either exit from Whitney or climb Whitney and then back down and out the way you came in.

Thanks for taking the time with me since I just barged into this thread.

As a kid, I camped at 10k' in Leadville, but that was 20+ years ago and that's probably the highest I've ever camped. I don't remember having any issues with the altitude. I've slept in a hotel there more recently, but we all know that's not the same thing. I would have been ok with a Whitney day pass, but those are also completely taken. In my case, a day pass would have presented several other challenges. For one thing, my 70 year old father is in good shape, but he isn't in THAT good shape. There are a few others in the group who would simply not be able to join me if I tried to blow straight through. The upside would be that I could have hiked it a lot lighter. When I ran Grand Canyon R2R2R straight through a couple years ago, I got everything I needed into a 12L running pack with space to spare. That was 11k of total climb over about 50 miles, but at lower altitude. I've done the 12 miles of Mt. Elbert recently without any problems so the altitude doesn't scare me, but with Whitney, the distance + the altitude at the same time would be a real challenge and once I add in the fact that several of my hiking friends couldn't take part, it takes all the fun out of it.

It seems to me that even if I approach it from a different trail, if I'm in the Mt. Whitney zone at any point, I need either a day pass or an overnight pass. I'd like to think there was a workaround, but I'm just not seeing one so far. I haven't given up on this.

I'll check into Horseshoe Meadows. I've never considered it.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

I think unless you have a high hematocrit or are acclimated (which someone coming from flatland won't be) it is much better to spend as little time at high altitude as possible. I've done Whitney as an overnight and a day trip and despite it being a lot more distance in one day it was much easier going all at once. The overnight trip the people I was with all got about 45 mins of low oxygen sleep and felt like poo poo the next day. after 2--3 days at this altitude you start to get used to it but imo people doing whitney should start at midnight, reach summit around sun up, have a nap somewhere down lower on the way back down and eat a big burger at the portal for dinner.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Hungryjack posted:

It seems to me that even if I approach it from a different trail, if I'm in the Mt. Whitney zone at any point, I need either a day pass or an overnight pass. I'd like to think there was a workaround, but I'm just not seeing one so far. I haven't given up on this.

I'll check into Horseshoe Meadows. I've never considered it.

When you apply for a permit through https://www.recreation.gov ,it'll ask you about exiting and you can say that you want to exit through Whitney, and that will give you the permit you need. Look up Inyo National Forest on that site and tell it you want an overnight trip exiting Mt Whitney and start from Cottonwood Pass trail, and I think that would do it if you're starting from the Horseshoe Meadow area. Keep in mind you'd need to arrange a shuttle back to your car or have two cars and that yeah it'll probably take 3-5 days depending on how fast people are prepared to hike

HarryPurvis
Sep 20, 2006
That reminds me of a story...

Levitate posted:

When you apply for a permit through https://www.recreation.gov ,it'll ask you about exiting and you can say that you want to exit through Whitney, and that will give you the permit you need. Look up Inyo National Forest on that site and tell it you want an overnight trip exiting Mt Whitney and start from Cottonwood Pass trail, and I think that would do it if you're starting from the Horseshoe Meadow area. Keep in mind you'd need to arrange a shuttle back to your car or have two cars and that yeah it'll probably take 3-5 days depending on how fast people are prepared to hike

From Recreation.gov page on exiting Mt Whitney:

quote:

Look for a permit type with “Exit Mt. Whitney” for trips that will finish at Whitney Portal via the Mt. Whitney (Trail Crest Exit).* An additional quota will apply for your exit date.

Further research shows that quota is 25 people per day. Most of the summer season is already booked up. Some early and late season dates are available.

Hungryjack
May 9, 2003

It's a bummer that the most challenging part of a hike would be getting permission to start it.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
It's unfortunate but there can only be one highest peak in the lower 48. Fortunately there are hundreds of other mountains you can climb with an easily attainable permit. I get the need to check off that box but I'd personally rather go hike the 10th tallest peak than not hike anything at all.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

It's typical Everest syndrom, where the combination of highest in * plus technical ease makes it a slugfest. Go climb something more interesting.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Again, if you have enough time to spare, you could still go in someplace like Horseshoe Meadows and then climb Whitney from that side, but instead of going down and out through Whitney Portal, just retrace your steps and go back out the way you came. I don't think they have quotas to just "visit", but...I'm not sure there's a way to do it that wouldn't turn it into a week long trip. Also didn't check to see if there are permits left do to that but I suspect you could find something.

HarryPurvis
Sep 20, 2006
That reminds me of a story...

Hungryjack posted:

It's a bummer that the most challenging part of a hike would be getting permission to start it.

As others have suggested there are still some great mountains in that area to climb. Mt Langley is a 14'er just south of Whitney that is accessed from Horseshoe Meadows. You can easily do that as a weekend overnight by camping at Cottonwood lakes and then bagging the summit before hiking out.

edit: Cottonwood lakes below army pass from my trip last year

HarryPurvis fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Apr 1, 2015

Hungryjack
May 9, 2003

You're all right. I've been so wrapped up in planning this trip since the beginning of the year researching and making sure to have my ducks in a row for every step in the permit-getting process that it's going to take me a while to get my head out of that mindset and open up to the other great places and experiences I can have access to with a five-day trip.

I just need to let it go. gently caress it, maybe I'll go to Glacier.

Transmogrifier
Dec 10, 2004

Systems at max!

Lipstick Apathy

HarryPurvis posted:

As others have suggested there are still some great mountains in that area to climb. Mt Langley is a 14'er just south of Whitney that is accessed from Horseshoe Meadows. You can easily do that as a weekend overnight by camping at Cottonwood lakes and then bagging the summit before hiking out.

edit: Cottonwood lakes below army pass from my trip last year

Well I know somewhere I want to go now! Beautiful shot.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Casu Marzu posted:

Also, first time loving around with Hyperlapse. Pretty cool app. Wish I knew about the 1080p option before shooting all day though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cr6IaO5PTAA
That's really cool! Thanks for sharing--I found myself wishing for this exact kind of thing last weekend in Red River Gorge :)

Edit: If you don't mind me picking your brain... did you have some sort of shoulder harness for your phone? What kind of picture interval did you use? How much juice does a day of hiking suck up? Do you just do hour intervals, or does the app quit if your screen locks?

Catatron Prime fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Apr 2, 2015

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Spur of the moment Big Bend trip for the long weekend has me pumped. I've been wanting to go hiking and camping with the girlfriend for a while now and it's going to be absolutely beautiful (high of 73) in west Texas before it gets miserably hot.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
Went out to the Olympics this last weekend. Things were kinda snowy higher up

This was super lucky

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

A Kpro posted:

This was super lucky

The Olympic snowpack is like 3% of a normal year's. It's shocking to go up trails like Mt Ellinor or Mt Townsend that usually top out covered in snow in winter and spring and instead there's a few patches of snowfield here and there, like a usual summer. Great pictures, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour

A Kpro posted:

This was super lucky

Wow, that's stunning! Must have been incredible in person.