Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Now the story of an anime forum that lost patience, and the one poster who had no choice but to sperg about robots

It's Arrested Development

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Clawshrimpy posted:

That's exactly it though.

Someone throws a water balloon at you. You have one second to catch it. You can either move to catch it right now, or you can get half-way through saying "stop" to try to talk the water balloon out of hitting you.

That was the timeframe Simon was working with. Sometimes there is no time to "think of a better way."

Edit: I mean, I guess he could've used that second to jump backwards to keep Rossiu's brains from splattering on his shoes or something.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Mar 29, 2015

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

I hope this isn't breaking the off-site helldumping rule, but I had to know

drat.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

Namtab posted:

When are we making clawshrimpy watch Monster?
I already sat through one guy arguing Johan did nothing wrong.

Not sure I'm ready for Shrimpy's take.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

It looks to me like you think Simon did some mean things once and that colors every one of his actions thereafter as toxic masculinity, even actions that are merciful like stopping a friend who betrayed him and left him to die from killing himself.

Namtab posted:

It's a points system wherein each "good" action earns one point and each "evil" action earns one point.

saving dying man = 1 good point

letting kid get punched in face = 1 evil point

All actions are equal regardless of merit, no grey areas exist. Good vs evil is decided only via frequency of acts

It is like if every evil action resets the good points counter back to zero out of spite before good actions start to count again. I'm curious, Shrimpy, what would someone like Gain or Simon have to do to redeem themselves in your eyes? Do you hope that Gain gets killed or do you hope that he becomes a better person?

Clawshrimpy
Aug 10, 2013

by XyloJW

GimmickMan posted:

It looks to me like you think Simon did some mean things once and that colors every one of his actions thereafter as toxic masculinity, even actions that are merciful like stopping a friend who betrayed him and left him to die from killing himself.

It is like if every evil action resets the good points counter back to zero out of spite before good actions start to count again. I'm curious, Shrimpy, what would someone like Gain or Simon have to do to redeem themselves in your eyes? Do you hope that Gain gets killed or do you hope that he becomes a better person?

In the very last episode I watched and reacted to, I was legit dissappointed Gain didn't die while hold up the self-destructing black hole thing.

I suppose Gain could maybe redeem himself if he like completely changes as a person but I know that's never going to happen. He's too comitted on being an immoral rear end in a top hat by this point, especially since we're already 13 episodes in of a 26 episode show. Gurren Lagann was 26 episodes and Kamina/Simon/every other jerk never improved. in fact, Simon started off good but got worse and worse.

Clawshrimpy fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Mar 29, 2015

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

clawshrimpy realtalk are you aware of the concept of "empathy" or how like, literary fiction is based around the idea of making characters appealing and relatable even and especially if they differ in motivations or morality to the person consuming the media

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

GimmickMan posted:

It's more like if you do evil then you can never be good again no matter what you do. Unless you start off evil, in which case it doesn't matter what you do so long as you show some humanity even once, no matter how small and you're a deep and morally grey character who can do no wrong. Also, did you forget this post?

Clawshrimpy posted:

Gainer barely gets Sara out in time and Gain has to hold the self-destruct black hole in place for Gainer and Sara to get out, but Gainer saves Gain too, dammit....That was a perfect chance to kill the rear end in a top hat off and the show blew it!

Which seems like an actively malicious post and if it were directed against a real person would appear to be yet another rather hypocritical break of Shrimpy's own moral values.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

Clawshrimpy posted:

In the very last episode I watched and reacted to, I was legit dissappointed Gain didn't die while hold up the self-destructing black hole thing.
Shrimpy I didn't know you before posting in this thread and it would probably be a stretch to say I "Know" you now, but I think I am qualified to speak for a lot of us when I say your projecting of everyone who ever bullied you onto any overly masculine character while hoping for their death rather than redemption is very troubling.

Clawshrimpy
Aug 10, 2013

by XyloJW

tsob posted:

It's more like if you do evil then you can never be good again no matter what you do. Unless you start off evil, in which case it doesn't matter what you do so long as you show some humanity even once, no matter how small and you're a deep and morally grey character who can do no wrong. Also, did you forget this post?

Which seems like an actively malicious post and if it were directed against a real person would appear to be yet another rather hypocritical break of Shrimpy's own moral values.

It's possibly for someone who was horrible to become good again, but it just requires a huge personal change from that person, sadly, the only example I can come up with would be breaking rule 2.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I can guess who you're talking about and I can pretty much guarantee that doesn't really count because the characters you're probably thinking about had been controlled by an external antagonist to transform them in to different people who barely resembled their real selves, which they went back to after that had been undone. That isn't a change in personality, it's a restoration of the real one.

Do you think there is anyone you've ever met in real life who even remotely resembles the kind of characters you actually like out of interest Shrimpy? Or are the people you know and like closer to the people in shows you dislike? Do you actually believe yourself the kind of good person you project yourself on to in the few shows you like? I have to assume you do, but I doubt you'll find many echoing that belief.

Clawshrimpy
Aug 10, 2013

by XyloJW
The only other decent example I can come up with is Will from Heroman, Will acts like a horrible bully to Joey in the beginning, and because he wanted to prove he can be a great person to his sister, he broke into the Skrugg ship and got himself and his friend turned into Skruggs. They fight Heroman and Joey for a while, but Will.... after a while, his feelings begin to change, and even though he's a Skrugg still, he rebels against Kogorr and helps Joey and Heromon out.

like that toher character in that show I can't talk about. Will had a redemption arc and I doubt Gain is getting one of those.

Clawshrimpy fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Mar 29, 2015

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Basically from what I can make out Simon was only a good character up until he decided to stop being the meek person who needed encouragement to get involved in things and instead becomes proactive in helping himself and others.

I've said it before Clawshrimpy, but I really hope you're never put into a situation where you have to make a decision that affects others.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Clawshrimpy posted:

It's possibly for someone who was horrible to become good again, but it just requires a huge personal change from that person, sadly, the only example I can come up with would be breaking rule 2.

I was hoping you did not literally mean you would rather see Gain dead than reformed, that is very harsh. Imagine if we judged you based on your previous actions and were secretly hoping you'd break the thread's rules and got banned instead of hoping you became a better poster. You should try to think more positively of people who are trying to do good and hope they do better in the future, even if they make a lot of mistakes and you don't agree with them.

On another note, "huge personal change" is pretty much how I would describe what you need to do if you want to enjoy 95% of fiction that exists, let alone if you want to get along with flesh and bone human beings.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Clawshrimpy posted:

The only other decent example I can come up with is Will from Heroman, Will acts like a horrible bully to Joey in the beginning, and because he wanted to prove he can be a great person to his sister, he broke into the Skrugg ship and got himself and his friend turned into Skruggs. They fight Heroman and Joey for a while, but Will.... after a while, his feelings begin to change, and even though he's a Skrugg still, he rebels against Kogorr and helps Joey and Heromon out.

So the exact same arc of being a dick but then learning to soften up and be nice that Holland, another character you bring up as an example of irredeemable jerks, has?

Clawshrimpy
Aug 10, 2013

by XyloJW

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

So the exact same arc of being a dick but then learning to soften up and be nice that Holland, another character you bring up as an example of irredeemable jerks, has?

Thing is Holland is consistantly a Jerk, Will is only a jerk in the very, very beginning.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

We're 26 pages in.

Are you able to identify yet, in your own words, why your posting is bad?

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Clawshrimpy posted:

Thing is Holland is consistantly a Jerk, Will is only a jerk in the very, very beginning.

No he's not. Around the time the fights with the Beams family happen he's starting to soften up. His character moves on from accepting his failures to ensuring the future. When Talho has her big change, right around the Nirvash's upgrade and Renton and Eureka's relationship maturing, he stops being outwardly aggressive towards Renton because he sees other people around him maturing and takes that lesson to heart. Hell, in the season one finale he admits that Renton has grown up. "I see you've finally learned to talk big..." which is important because before Renton was a small crying baby who didn't portray any real confidence in himself of his beliefs.

The only differences are that You like one of these and that one of these is a protagonist in a show specifically about how people act and grow up and aren't perfect but that's okay and the other is an idealized super hero show about kids for kids so everything and everyone is super simple. And honestly the former is because of the latter.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Mar 29, 2015

DrOswald
Feb 22, 2014

Clawshrimpy posted:

I suppose Gain could maybe redeem himself if he like completely changes as a person but I know that's never going to happen. He's too comitted on being an immoral rear end in a top hat by this point, especially since we're already 13 episodes in of a 26 episode show. Gurren Lagann was 26 episodes and Kamina/Simon/every other jerk never improved. in fact, Simon started off good but got worse and worse.

Again, what did Kamina/simon/every other jerk actually do that was so horrible? The philosophy of team gurren was to be self confident, own up to your mistakes, be generally good people, constantly self improve, and escape impossible situations by bending reality with your sheer force of will. This is what they preached. What is so bad about that?

Keep in mind that both Yoko, a woman, and Leeron, a man who is antithetical to traditional manliness and the idea of conformity based on gender, are both fully accepted members of team gurren.

So what was their great sin that they compounded over the course of the anime?

Clawshrimpy
Aug 10, 2013

by XyloJW

DrOswald posted:

Again, what did Kamina/simon/every other jerk actually do that was so horrible? The philosophy of team gurren was to be self confident, own up to your mistakes, be generally good people, constantly self improve, and escape impossible situations by bending reality with your sheer force of will. This is what they preached. What is so bad about that?

Keep in mind that both Yoko, a woman, and Leeron, a man who is antithetical to traditional manliness and the idea of conformity based on gender, are both fully accepted members of team gurren.

So what was their great sin that they compounded over the course of the anime?

But they just wrap what might be good intentions in terrible methods. Team Gurren honestly is no less morally questionable than the Exodus is.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Clawshrimpy posted:

But they just wrap what might be good intentions in terrible methods.

What about their methods are terrible? Do not just say "it's bullying" or "it's wrong", explain why it's bullying or wrong or whatever.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Clawshrimpy posted:

But they just wrap what might be good intentions in terrible methods.

They're not terrible methods. Once again, as everyone ever has said, context is important and not everything (read: almost nothing) is set in stone always good or bad.

Also please don't ignore my post above.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Clawshrimpy posted:

But they just wrap what might be good intentions in terrible methods. Team Gurren honestly is no less morally questionable than the Exodus is.

Clawshrimpy, I believe everyone in this thread is well aware by now that you don't think highly of the TTGL main crew. You don't need to repeat that. They are asking for specific examples why.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Clawshrimpy posted:

Maybe people should have stayed safe underground in their little communities which were essentially dictatorships

E: One of which p.much practiced eugenics-lite

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Namtab posted:

We're 26 pages in.

DrOswald
Feb 22, 2014

Clawshrimpy posted:

What terrible methods? You keep on insisting this but refuse to give any examples. Be specific.

Clawshrimpy
Aug 10, 2013

by XyloJW

DrOswald posted:

What terrible methods? You keep on insisting this but refuse to give any examples. Be specific.

Kamina throwing rocks at Simon, hitting him, passivele aggressively insulting him, etc. and then Simon turns around and treats everyone else the same way when he transforms.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Clawshrimpy posted:

Kamina throwing rocks at Simon, hitting him, passivele aggressively insulting him, etc. and then Simon turns around and treats everyone else the same way when he transforms.

Give an example of Kamina being passive-aggressive towards Simon.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Namtab posted:

We're 26 pages in.

Clawshrimpy
Aug 10, 2013

by XyloJW

Droyer posted:

Give an example of Kamina being passive-aggressive towards Simon.

Literally in the second episode, right before Kamina attacks two two Ganmen with a loving sword, Simon picks him up and tries to escape, and his passively agressive insults him for running away.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Clawshrimpy posted:

Literally in the second episode, right before Kamina attacks two two Ganmen with a loving sword, Simon picks him up and tries to escape, and his passively agressive insults him for running away.

So we can add passive-aggressive to the list of concepts you don't understand.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Clawshrimpy posted:

As yes the one off joke makes him a terrible person. Also besides the joke instance you notice how no one in the show treats any of these as the absolute evils you do? Hmm maybe context here is important.

Also don't ignore this post please

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

No he's not. Around the time the fights with the Beams family happen he's starting to soften up. His character moves on from accepting his failures to ensuring the future. When Talho has her big change, right around the Nirvash's upgrade and Renton and Eureka's relationship maturing, he stops being outwardly aggressive towards Renton because he sees other people around him maturing and takes that lesson to heart. Hell, in the season one finale he admits that Renton has grown up. "I see you've finally learned to talk big..." which is important because before Renton was a small crying baby who didn't portray any real confidence in himself of his beliefs.

The only differences are that You like one of these and that one of these is a protagonist in a show specifically about how people act and grow up and aren't perfect but that's okay and the other is an idealized super hero show about kids for kids so everything and everyone is super simple. And honestly the former is because of the latter.

I genuinely want to hear why you ignore one characters changes and development and not the others.

Clawshrimpy posted:

Please stop using words you don't understand or know. Active aggression like insulting is by definition the opposite of Passive-Aggression and even then he wasn't insulting him in some giant emotional way, just saying that he thought this act was cowardly. People act that way towards close friends and family, because they know they can be honest with how they feel.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Mar 29, 2015

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Clawshrimpy answer my question please

Clawshrimpy
Aug 10, 2013

by XyloJW

Namtab posted:

Clawshrimpy answer my question please

I'm only not answering because I don't know the answer.

DrOswald
Feb 22, 2014

Clawshrimpy posted:

Ok, now we are getting somewhere. Now we can discuss this.

Since we have already discussed in great detail about how punching someone to save their life (and in the case of kamina punching simon, the life of dozens of others) is not nearly as problematic as you seem to think it is, lets instead go with the insults. Can you give some specific examples of things Kamina said to Simon that were insulting and problematic?

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I'd like to know if Clawshrimpy thinks out views hold any validity, whether we are entitled to hold them or if he thinks we are wrong and he just needs to make us see that for our own good? I suspect it's the latter frankly, which makes him no different from a bully himself really, since he wants to brainwash everyone to share his own toxic views. If it's the former, then why did he spend years trying to convince much the same people they were wrong about a pair of shows instead of just accepting they thought differently and moving on?

The fact that he can never acknowledge context or other people's opinions or methods in even a tv show would suggest it's definitely the former. I also wonder how spiteful Shrimpy is, and suspect he'd actually be rather violent if given the chance to give some consequence free revenge to some of the people who used to bully him.

tsob fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Mar 29, 2015

Clawshrimpy
Aug 10, 2013

by XyloJW

DrOswald posted:

Ok, now we are getting somewhere. Now we can discuss this.

Since we have already discussed in great detail about how punching someone to save their life (and in the case of kamina punching simon, the life of dozens of others) is not nearly as problematic as you seem to think it is, lets instead go with the insults. Can you give some specific examples of things Kamina said to Simon that were insulting and problematic?

The second episode

"How long are you going to keep running, Simon?"

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

tsob posted:

I'd like to know if Clawshrimpy thinks out views hold any validity, whether we are entitled to hold them or if he thinks we are wrong and he just needs to make us see that for our own good? I suspect it's the latter frankly, which makes him no different from a bully himself really, since he wants to brainwash everyone to share his own toxic views. If it's the former, then why did he spend years trying to convince much the same people they were wrong about a pair of shows instead of just accepting they thought differently and moving on?

The fact that he can never acknowledge context or other people's opinions or methods in even a tv show would suggest it's definitely the former. I also wonder how spiteful Shrimpy is, and suspect he'd actually be rather violent if given the chance to give some consequence free revenge to some of the people who used to bully him.

You cannot grasp the true form of Shrimpy's posting

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Clawshrimpy posted:

The second episode

"How long are you going to keep running, Simon?"

That...that's not even insulting. That's just asking a question regarding someone's problems. What the hell?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clawshrimpy
Aug 10, 2013

by XyloJW

tsob posted:

That...that's not even insulting. That's just asking a question regarding someone's problems. What the hell?

Kamina's tone (in both languages) comes off as very passive aggressive.

• Locked thread