Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
And that's why you shouldn't fly into Canada in shorts and a t-shirt.

The plane apparently took out power to the airport, this could be one reason why rescue took so long. Or the passenger interviewed experience time dilatation, or whatever that psychological effect is called where your perception of time gets hosed five ways to Sunday in an emergency.

E: plus yeah there were high voltage power lines strewn about and jet fuel, whichever scurry are never too keen about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

holocaust bloopers posted:

Sounds like the scene wasn't considered safe for emergency responders.

What's the protocol for a crash landing anyhow? Isn't the first thing to happen the crew evacuates everyone to a safe distance for the AC? If the responders are waiting back because the pax are too close to the AC there is no way to tell them to move further away? I'm just a layperson but that sounds pretty bizarre.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

although I guess they're going to a different design for the -9 MAX i think

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

^^ What are we looking at there?

So regarding the hour it supposedly took to attend to the pax of that AC flight
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/air-canada-624-crash-landing-it-took-50-minutes-to-get-everyone-inside-1.3014034

quote:

A fire truck arrived at the scene within 90 seconds of the very rough landing of the plane from Toronto. The crew first assessed the aircraft for flames, smoke or fuel leaks. When they'd established it was safe, they began to triage the "most vulnerable" passengers and brought them into the truck to keep warm.

The firefighters set up tarps as a makeshift shelter for everyone else. It took 50 minutes to get everyone inside the airport.
"The emergency response team was there immediately. Their primary purpose is to ensure that there is no fire or explosion danger in the immediate area," he said. "Then they turned their attention to the passengers who were at that point, of course, out of the aircraft and adjacent to it.

The low last night in Halifax was -6C with 20kph winds. Not exactly balmy but not -40 either.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Ardeem posted:

Ugly deltas? How far along in development does something need to have been to count?

Ugly? Surely you mean awesome

Fornax Disaster
Apr 11, 2005

If you need me I'll be in Holodeck Four.

Are the bright orange parts sticking out of nose and wrapped around the wing from the runway approach lights?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

rocket_350 posted:

Are the bright orange parts sticking out of nose and wrapped around the wing from the runway approach lights?

Certainly looks like an approach strobe. Wonder if they decided to do an approach in the dark without locking into the ILS/GS beacons.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

CommieGIR posted:

Certainly looks like an approach strobe. Wonder if they decided to do an approach in the dark without locking into the ILS/GS beacons.

They managed to hit a power-line and take out all the power at the airport, which is one reason the airport had some difficulty approaching the wreck with passenger transport (power lines down across a road) according to some of the reports. Given they hit a power line, taking out the approach lights would just be bonus points!

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

The Locator posted:

They managed to hit a power-line and take out all the power at the airport, which is one reason the airport had some difficulty approaching the wreck with passenger transport (power lines down across a road) according to some of the reports. Given they hit a power line, taking out the approach lights would just be bonus points!

The approach lights and all the other avionics related stuff is has battery and generator backups.

I mean, my point being is they should have been aware they were coming in too low as they should've been doing the approach based on the glideslope from the ILS.

Unless Die Hard 2 was simply a prediction of things to come and the glideslope was being controlled by evil German terrorists!

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

According to CBC they hit one of these poles.

Oh well, at least the rescue party didn't run over survivors like they did in SFO with that 777 that had the tail strike.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

CommieGIR posted:

The approach lights and all the other avionics related stuff is has battery and generator backups.

I mean, my point being is they should have been aware they were coming in too low as they should've been doing the approach based on the glideslope from the ILS.

Unless Die Hard 2 was simply a prediction of things to come and the glideslope was being controlled by evil German terrorists!
Die Hard 2 had an American terrorist :colbert:

ausgezeichnet
Sep 18, 2005

In my country this is definitely not offensive!
Nap Ghost

slidebite posted:

Here is the CBC link
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/air-canada-ac624-crash-lands-in-halifax-at-least-23-sent-to-hospital-1.3013979

It looks like it was a pretty sporty landing

Emergency responders left them standing around for an hour?

Here's the power lines they reportedly hit. Somebody hosed up the path big-time and ended up way short of the runway.

Power lines

Edit; loving beaten

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

ehnus posted:

I was super stoked about Flight Simulator X falling from $25 to $5 until I started playing it with a keyboard and now I'm looking at $150 yokes...

It's playable with an xbox controller if it comes down to it.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Flikken posted:

Die Hard 2 had an American terrorist :colbert:

I'm now trying to picture John McClane's Canadian name: Mark McKenzie - Matt LeClerc?

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Nebakenezzer posted:

I'm now trying to picture John McClane's Canadian name: Mark McKenzie - Matt LeClerc?

Doug Brassard?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Pierre Poutine

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KgBfmdA-cVQ

This video was recorded with a potato and I apologize. I was controlling arrivals/departures yesterday morning for the Corpus Christi area and I saw a flight plan come through for a heavy Airbus A330-200 landing KCRP - Corpus Christi International.

We don't normally get heavies, except maybe the occasional KC-135. But, right now, our longest runway is closed for construction. Our only available runway is RY 18/36, total distance 6080ft. I was surprised we were getting such a big aircraft in the first place, let alone one willing to land on our short-ish runway. I even called ahead to Houston Center who was working the flight just to verify that the flight crew was aware what they had to work with. He queried the crew and called me back and said "They said it's all good." Ok!

Thankfully, after clearing the aircraft for an approach, I was due for a break. I ran to the control tower breakroom to set up the recording of its landing before watching it myself from the tower (mobile devices were not present in the operational area for this video!). They had no issue getting it stopped within the distance remaining. In fact, they landed shorter than a lot of our regional jets do (probably because they weren't messing around with the deceleration). They were at taxi speed by 4,500ft down the runway, and exited on the taxiway just prior to the 1,000ft white markers which are visible in the video.

Note there's plenty of smoke from the tires as they touch down. Again sorry for the poor quality, I just thought it was neat. The aircraft arrives from the middle-left part of the video, over the left most refinery stacks in the distance.

The Ferret King fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Mar 29, 2015

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

slidebite posted:

^^ What are we looking at there?

737 max thrust reverser assembly

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

The Ferret King posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KgBfmdA-cVQ

This video was recorded with a potato and I apologize. I was controlling arrivals/departures yesterday morning for the Corpus Christi area and I saw a flight plan come through for a heavy Airbus A330-200 landing KCRP - Corpus Christi International.

We don't normally get heavies, except maybe the occasional KC-135. But, right now, our longest runway is closed for construction. Our only available runway is RY 18/36, total distance 6080ft. I was surprised we were getting such a big aircraft in the first place, let alone one willing to land on our short-ish runway. I even called ahead to Houston Center who was working the flight just to verify that the flight crew was aware what they had to work with. He queried the crew and called me back and said "They said it's all good." Ok!

Thankfully, after clearing the aircraft for an approach, I was due for a break. I ran to the control tower breakroom to set up the recording of its landing before watching it myself from the tower (mobile devices were not present in the operational area for this video!). They had no issue getting it stopped within the distance remaining. In fact, they landed shorter than a lot of our regional jets do (probably because they weren't messing around with the deceleration). They were at taxi speed by 4,500ft down the runway, and exited on the taxiway just prior to the 1,000ft white markers which are visible in the video.

Note there's plenty of smoke from the tires as they touch down. Again sorry for the poor quality, I just thought it was neat. The aircraft arrives from the middle-left part of the video, over the left most refinery stacks in the distance.

We had that Evergreen 747 Supertanker land on our crappy little 6k' runway a few years ago for an airshow and I was genuinely surprised at how quickly they were able to slow that thing down.

slidebite fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Mar 29, 2015

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Owns so hard.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cEKyTxnrXIc

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal
I liked the A330 clip. That's the kind of thing I'd rush outside to see too.

Here's my crappy iphone clip of the An-225 landing at the airport I live next door to (EGCN) a little while ago. I love the acres and acres of spoilers popping out when it touches down. Sadly it departed at night so the soundtrack was awesome but the visuals were crap!

I'm sorry but I don't know how to embed it.

http://youtu.be/9SbxNwg7Q7I

monkeytennis fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Mar 29, 2015

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

Had to go back and check the logs on my ADS-B/Mode S software, and sure enough, this plane was within range of my receiver at 10PM last night. First entry here:

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

monkeytennis posted:

I liked the A330 clip. That's the kind of thing I'd rush outside to see too.

Here's my crappy iphone clip of the An-225 landing at the airport I live next door to (EGCN) a little while ago. I love the acres and acres of spoilers popping out when it touches down. Sadly it departed at night so the soundtrack was awesome but the visuals were crap!

I'm sorry but I don't know how to embed it.

http://youtu.be/9SbxNwg7Q7I

Man that's cool. I have flightaware send me texts any time it files a flight plan. It came to Houston one day but I was working, and Houston is about a 4hr drive from Corpus. I intend to travel to see it land/depart someday though.

I'm transferring to Dallas later this year. Unfortunately, though I'll be working a lot more heavies, I'll be radar-only. So I guess I'll have to plane watch in my spare time. They all look the same on the radar screen.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

brains posted:

i'm gonna go ahead and double down on this :smug:

You, sir, are wrong.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

brains posted:

i'm gonna go ahead and double down on this :smug:

YOU THINK THAT'S UGLY

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
I like those, although I am expecting them to transform in to walking robots any minute.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

Only two more Doolitte Raiders :(

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Just on CBC news: "Recent events in Europe raise the question: would the flying public be better off if there was ~no one~ in the cockpit?" :bang:

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Yea until Skynet augers a 797 into rural Illinois.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

Nebakenezzer posted:

Just on CBC news: "Recent events in Europe raise the question: would the flying public be better off if there was ~no one~ in the cockpit?" :bang:

CNN is saying the same thing. Ironically, before the whole suicide thing came to light they were worrying that -- because Airbus -- someone may have hacked into the computers and crashed the plane.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

Acid Reflux posted:

Had to go back and check the logs on my ADS-B/Mode S software, and sure enough, this plane was within range of my receiver at 10PM last night. First entry here:

What software is that? I'm looking for something like that to log the ADS traffic overhead. I already have the ADS set up with flightaware and flightradar 24 but they don't give logs like that!

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Spaced God posted:

CNN is saying the same thing. Ironically, before the whole suicide thing came to light they were worrying that -- because Airbus -- someone may have hacked into the computers and crashed the plane.

i thought it was the dreamliners that had critical systems sharing the same unprotected ethernet network as the entertainment systems

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Nebakenezzer posted:

But pilots are also relying too much on automation!

brains
May 12, 2004

PhotoKirk posted:

You, sir, are wrong.

YOU THINK THAT'S UGLY
you tards, there's ugly deltas out there. but there has never been an ugly double delta design.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Nebakenezzer posted:

They'd be better off not flying, yes.

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

brains posted:

you tards, there's ugly deltas out there. but there has never been an ugly double delta design.

Technically the vulcan is a double delta (check the planform - the sweep angle changes about 3/4 out on the wing), and while I would agree with you, someone earlier called it ugly.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Yea until Skynet augers a 797 into rural Illinois.

lol holy poo poo I can just imagine a General Atomics designed airliner

"Yeah, uh, we didn't build in redundancies to the navigation system so....whoops."

And its not like non-GA designed RPAs are any better.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

rscott posted:

i thought it was the dreamliners that had critical systems sharing the same unprotected ethernet network as the entertainment systems

No.

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011
Also, ugliest delta goes to this thing:

which lead to one of the prettiest deltas

This is the Handley Page p.115, a test article for Concorde technologies

e: Also, earlier someone said the Fairey Delta 2 was ugly, that was only true while it had the concorde-style droop nose, later in it's life, as originally built it was sleek and beautiful:

SybilVimes fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Mar 30, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

two_beer_bishes posted:

What software is that? I'm looking for something like that to log the ADS traffic overhead. I already have the ADS set up with flightaware and flightradar 24 but they don't give logs like that!

It's Active Display Pro. I think after the GBP -> USD conversion, it was around $38 for a year subscription. It's awesome enough that I will happily renew next year. They also make a free "Lite" version, but it's really made to work with Kinetic's SBS Basestation software, and it was a real pain the rear end to get it working with anything else. I finally just bit the bullet and paid for the Pro version, which is much more robust and will talk to pretty much any other popular aircraft-related software without too much futzing around. I use the free Virtual Radar Server as my map/real-time display. Everything is saved in a local database, so you can go back and look stuff up like I did with the Air Canada flight. :)