Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

SYSV Fanfic posted:

I don't understand. What non profit isn't supported by donations?

i'm saying rms never worked a day in his life. he's never had to supply for himself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Forums Terrorist posted:

lmao if you think software freedom matters in a significant way to the majority of people

no one cares if their software is open source because most people are not computer literate and thus even if it were they wouldn't be able to do anything with it so malicious actors can just slip poo poo in and you're back to square one

"why should i care that all parties except the Neoliberal Party are now banned? do I look like I want to be a loving politician?"

those who take their freedoms for granted are swiftly relieved of them.

The GPLv3 is extremely important because RSA and the signature-verifying bootloaders it enables are a fact of everyday life now in 2015 whereas asymmetric cryptography was an academic curiosity in 1985. Give those locked bootloaders the force of law and the GPLv2 becomes utterly worthless.

But of course the GPLv3 is not "pragmatic" (because all of a sudden there are billion-dollar moneyed interests in the treehouse now that also weren't really there in the late 80s, the moneyed interests back then were pissant million-dollar companies that could barely keep their heads above water) so of course we trade freedom for a little convenience.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Suspicious Dish posted:

i'm saying rms never worked a day in his life. he's never had to supply for himself.

his work was financed by a disparate group of interested parties as opposed to one single Captain Of Industry, got it.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Suspicious Dish posted:

every day for the last 20 years, he's gone to an office and performed various activities to further the business goals of the fsf, in exchange for money.

but it's not work, because you don't like him very much

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

Suspicious Dish posted:

You're conflating punching a clock with doing work.

Nevermind getting a PhD usually involves being someone's bitch for 4-7 years.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Forums Terrorist posted:

lmao if you think software freedom matters in a significant way to the majority of people

no one cares if their software is open source because most people are not computer literate and thus even if it were they wouldn't be able to do anything with it so malicious actors can just slip poo poo in and you're back to square one

why would i expect the majority of people to give any fucks about what happens in my industry?

the outcomes will be important to everyone, but laymen do not have the time or energy to understand everything. i don't know poo poo about animal husbandry, but i eat meat every day. what happens to that industry will affect me, but i do not have the time or expertise to follow its trade rags

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
Do printing press brokers make a lot of money? RMS might have a trust fund for all I know.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

why would i expect the majority of people to give any fucks about what happens in my industry?

the outcomes will be important to everyone, but laymen do not have the time or energy to understand everything. i don't know poo poo about animal husbandry, but i eat meat every day. what happens to that industry will affect me, but i do not have the time or expertise to follow its trade rags

How many citizens can name the three branches of the US government?

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Mr Dog posted:

"why should i care that all parties except the Neoliberal Party are now banned? do I look like I want to be a loving politician?"

those who take their freedoms for granted are swiftly relieved of them.

The GPLv3 is extremely important because RSA and the signature-verifying bootloaders it enables are a fact of everyday life now in 2015 whereas asymmetric cryptography was an academic curiosity in 1985. Give those locked bootloaders the force of law and the GPLv2 becomes utterly worthless.

But of course the GPLv3 is not "pragmatic" (because all of a sudden there are billion-dollar moneyed interests in the treehouse now that also weren't really there in the late 80s, the moneyed interests back then were pissant million-dollar companies that could barely keep their heads above water) so of course we trade freedom for a little convenience.

well, first of all political parties except the neoliberals are banned nowadays, more or less

secondly, that was always the plan from the get go. ibm wanted the bios to stay secure and secret so that they had control over the pc architecture. the fact that a bunch of companies were able to hack together copies of it and create a platform was a fuckup from their point of view. ms-dos could nominally run on non-pcs but the software couldn't for the most part and what's a computer without software?

there were always big interests in keeping poo poo locked down, it's just that much like the fsf they're not very good at it

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

SYSV Fanfic posted:

How many citizens can name the three branches of the US government?

gently caress how many citizens know who their congressman is

also lol at ~freedoms~, i guess the nhs was an unacceptable encroachment on doctor's freedoms. in general i am innately suspicious of any argument where the big point is the freedom of or to do whatever. freedom is not an innate good.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

every day for the last 20 years, he's gone to an office and performed various activities to further the business goals of the fsf, in exchange for money.

has he done that though? he seems to mostly be writing emails telling me about how it's gnu/linux, not linux

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
cultivator of foot cheese

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

also to keep the grey forums down a bit

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

in physics work requires movement :pram:

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Forums Terrorist posted:

gently caress how many citizens know who their congressman is

also lol at ~freedoms~, i guess the nhs was an unacceptable encroachment on doctor's freedoms. in general i am innately suspicious of any argument where the big point is the freedom of or to do whatever. freedom is not an innate good.

positive vs negative liberty

positive liberty: i am able to get healthcare regardless of my financial circumstance

negative liberty: my doctor is free from the government meddling with his ability to rape my wallet

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Suspicious Dish posted:

has he done that though? he seems to mostly be writing emails telling me about how it's gnu/linux, not linux

yeah this is the part where you don't like the work he's doing, ergo it's not work

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

positive vs negative liberty

positive liberty: i am able to get healthcare regardless of my financial circumstance

negative liberty: my doctor is free from the government meddling with his ability to rape my wallet

for the sake of argument since most it workers have a libertarian streak afaik: positive liberty is an undue restriction on the actions of others, so it isn't real liberty

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

Suspicious Dish posted:

Which is part of his job as the head of the FSF. People have to know you exist to know that they should donate.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

maybe he should let people know he exists by taking on venture capital

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Forums Terrorist posted:

for the sake of argument since most it workers have a libertarian streak afaik: positive liberty is an undue restriction on the actions of others, so it isn't real liberty

positive liberties can be granted without restricting others

government isn't a zero sum game

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

Forums Terrorist posted:

maybe he should let people know he exists by taking on venture capital

lol. He has as good of a business plan as twitter and tumblr did.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

positive liberties can be granted without restricting others

government isn't a zero sum game

ugh don't make me dig up libertarian arguments about freedom, basically this is wrong because lol gently caress lolbertarians

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
this thread has taken an interesting turn

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

i don't like open source because instead of having big companies and governments as the gatekeepers, safely chained up by red tape, it makes a giant pile of nerds the gatekeepers and gently caress those guys

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
lol what

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

i'm waiting for mr dog to post again because despite our disagreement he makes good points and i enjoy reading his posts

CoreDuo
Mar 20, 2015

Forums Terrorist posted:

i don't like open source because instead of having big companies and governments as the gatekeepers, safely chained up by red tape, it makes a giant pile of nerds the gatekeepers and gently caress those guys

Maybe Target should get into software project hosting...

CoreDuo fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Mar 29, 2015

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Forums Terrorist posted:

no one cares if their bank is regulated because most people are not economists and thus

pram
Jun 10, 2001
lol the gpl3 is a disaster and the fsf hasnt been relevant for a decade

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Forums Terrorist posted:

i'm waiting for mr dog to post again because despite our disagreement he makes good points and i enjoy reading his posts

:3:

aww stop you're making me blush

uh but i mean i've said all i really have to say on the subject. stallman's definitely making questionable tactical decisions as of late (e.g. the battle of gcc vs clang is more or less lost at this point and he needs to let it go) but he's still a canny fucker and everybody here owes him a major debt of gratitude. it's rare to find people with this level of selflessness and conviction in the world and we need more people like rms and fewer people like jobs imo.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Mr Dog posted:

we need more people like rms and fewer people like jobs imo.

I have some good news then

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Mr Dog posted:

:3:

aww stop you're making me blush

uh but i mean i've said all i really have to say on the subject. stallman's definitely making questionable tactical decisions as of late (e.g. the battle of gcc vs clang is more or less lost at this point and he needs to let it go) but he's still a canny fucker

lol

quote:

and everybody here owes him a major debt of gratitude.

nah. open source would have happened without rms and the form it took probably would have been better.

quote:

it's rare to find people with this level of selflessness and conviction in the world and we need more people like rms and fewer people like jobs imo.

i don't find rms particularly selfless. hes good at convincing idealists that he is but when push comes to shove he's a greedy paranoid controlling mfer and you just admitted it. the battle of gcc vs clang is not the first time this has played out, you should read all of this. rms comes across as dimwitted and clueless at best, actively harmful to the progress of open software at worst. this is the way it has always been. the only reason he has made a mark in the software world is that his uber-neckbeard persona has helped him build a weird nerd cult of personality and he fuels it with his insane (literally) level of dedication to his ridiculous, out of touch, narcissistic cause. he always has followers who will swear that he's a great positive force for good even though he's not, he always has people working with the fsf while holding their noses when really they ought to just give him and his "charity" the boot so they can get things done and actually improve the world

if it comes down to jobs vs rms, i choose jobs, not because i think he's a super great role model but because he actually changed and reacted and moderated and improved with age (and better socialization). you took a dig based on his treatment of his daughter, which was indeed shameful, but the thing that is always left out of that attack is that he ended up acknowledging her, patching their relationship up, paying for her to go to college, etc. iirc she's on the record as liking her dad. rms? rms never changes.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

pram posted:

lol the gpl3 is a disaster and the fsf hasnt been relevant for a decade

gplv3 has been good at encouraging more non-gpl development

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
we used to have hope, cash jobs.. but we still have rms

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

there's actually a valid comparison to draw here but i'll do it tomorrow because it's 4 am jfc

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
http://distrowatch.com/weekly.php?issue=20150330#community

quote:

The systemd Project Forks the Linux Kernel
lmao

vvv: I, too, checked the date.

Truga fucked around with this message at 10:56 on Mar 30, 2015

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

they were supposed to publish that on April 1 .... right?

if not then lol rip linux

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

lol

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

you don't often see 1998 web design still being updated seventeen years later, that's really impressive. and of course it is run by a Bitcoiner.

(Ivan Gotyaovoich has never contributed to systemd or sent anything to the mailing list and doesn't appear to actually be a real person.)

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
that's interesting, i would wait for it to be confirmed in other sources though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug
lol

https://github.com/systemdaemon
https://github.com/systemdaemon/systemd/commits/master