Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

computer parts posted:

Is that the one that was covered under the VRA until not too long ago?

Actually, no. The two counties covered by Section 5 of the VRA until the SCOTUS ruling were Allegan and Saginaw counties.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

CommieGIR posted:

I suggest you read the article where they interview the people who helped write the bill:

http://www.indystar.com/story/news/politics/2015/03/27/religious-freedom-supporters-mostly-silent/70557506/

Check out the stare on pastor protection dude. I can feel my loins being violated.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Dr. Tough posted:

The Florida page lists Miami Beach which hasn't been like that since like the 1960's. Also Ocoee which which had a notorious race riot almost a hundred years ago but I doubt that anyone nowadays has even heard of it.

edit: lol the Arizona page lists Scottsdale. Yeah that guys list is untrustworthy to say the least

edit 2: Maybe his list is also places that used to be sunset town or something? I don't know. My point is that I don't think half of Illinois is made up of sunset towns.

quote:

Miami Beach
Still Sundown? Surely Not

That's exactly what it is. It's a list of any suspected sundown towns, past or present, with degrees of certainty.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Giving politicians the benefit of the doubt when their policies have horrible results is really stupid. Like when the SCOTUS thread got derailed for a while since even though Republicans have gone of record they want to get rid of abortion, people in the medical community have said their recent "mother protection" policies are unnecessary and illogical, and the bills have resulted in abortion clinics closing due to be unable to meet these regulations that other clinics don't have to worry about we can't know FOR SURE that they are trying to make abortion illegal. It also ties into how it's literally impossible to be racist since we don't have a wizard that can look into people's true hearts and confirm that they are racist regardless of the actions they do.

Anyone trying to say that Religious Freedom law is anything other than a way to make discrimination legal is either a total fool or a bigot and its irritating when people have to be polite about it.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Mar 30, 2015

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

mastershakeman posted:

Which one is that? I didn't realize Illinois had any.

Not all of Chicago's exurbs are in Illinois, and yeah Illinois had poo poo tons. Lots of northern states did. You guys should really read James Loewen's book. It's very informative about a period of history that most people never talk about in terms of race relations. poo poo was real real bad for a long time after the civil war, and it was a pretty huge national problem that was not in any way limited to the south.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

ErIog posted:

Not all of Chicago's exurbs are in Illinois, and yeah Illinois had poo poo tons. Lots of northern states did. You guys should really read James Loewen's book. It's very informative about a period of history that most people never talk about in terms of race relations. poo poo was real real bad for a long time after the civil war, and it was a pretty huge national problem that was not in any way limited to the south.

Even in Chicago itself there were roving bands of white people that would beat up colored (black and Hispanic) people that ventured into the wrong neighborhood.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Shots fired at NSA Headquarters roughly an hour ago.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

computer parts posted:

Even in Chicago itself there were roving bands of white people that would beat up colored (black and Hispanic) people that ventured into the wrong neighborhood.

"Were" is the wrong tense there unfortunately

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Fried Chicken posted:

"Were" is the wrong tense there unfortunately

They're just called police, now.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Grouchio posted:

The news I just read said some people tried to crash through the gates, and the police shot them. Wish you'd been more specific, you made it sounds like there was an active shooter or something, I was really worried for a minute cause I got friends there.

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG

Grouchio posted:

If only they had more meta data they could have prevented this.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Grouchio posted:

i call upon congressional republicans, as the leaders and spokesmen of anti-government activism, to condemn these radical actions

why are you afraid to say "militant conservatism", congressional republicans?
the king of bhutan immediately said "militant conservatism" when a disgruntled nabob crashed an elephant through the palace windows. We need a Real Leader like him!

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Grouchio posted:

Read this as NRA and was really, really confused.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Enigma89 posted:

It's ok, this is just more proof that they need a backdoor into phone's encryption.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

What the poo poo is going on with the Missouri GOP???
http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/03/30/us-usa-missouri-auditor-idUSKBN0MQ1MM20150330

quote:

Another apparent suicide of Missouri state official: police

(Reuters) - Less than a month after the suicide of Missouri's state auditor, one of the official's top aides has also been found dead in what appears to be a suicide, police said Monday.

Robert "Spence" Jackson, 45, was found dead Sunday evening in the bedroom of his apartment in Jefferson City, apparently having killed himself with a gun, Jefferson City police said in a statement.

Jackson was a veteran of Republican state politics and at the time of his death was embroiled in in-party fighting, having called for the resignation of the party's state chairman.

His apparent suicide comes less than a month after his boss, Missouri State Auditor Tom Schweich, also shot himself to death at his home in suburban St. Louis.

Schweich, 54, had been re-elected in November after serving for four years and announced in January that he would seek his party's nomination for governor.

His death on Feb. 26 came after he had complained about the tactics of rival Republicans in the primary campaign.

Police said they were still investigating the circumstances of Jackson's death. An autopsy is planned for Monday.

A spokeswoman at the Missouri State Auditor's office said the office had no comment about Jackson's death.

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

silvergoose posted:

Guh dangit ma I just gone shot my foot off.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

silvergoose posted:

I wish there was.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

missouri gop has entered a state of Societal Fugue, like that samuel r delaney novel where planets just suddenly up and nuke themselves when they become sufficiently decadent

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

PupsOfWar posted:

like that samuel r delaney novel where planets just suddenly up and nuke themselves when they become sufficiently decadent

which one is this? because I need to add it to my reading list

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

TheQat posted:

which one is this? because I need to add it to my reading list

though its been a while since I read it, so I don't remember much except that and a lot of weird loving (or default delaney)

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT

silvergoose posted:

Glad it was not just me. :v:

Kinda wonder if the gas pedal got stuck and things just escalated, ramming a gate seems rather lacking for an attack.

Tender Bender posted:

Hardcore conservatives are running with a "Why should I be forced to work for you?" angle, like some poor guy is ripped out of his office, thrown into a kitchen and forced to bake a cake for greedy gay people. It would be funny if it wasn't so infuriating.

Modern day slavery it is!

Rincewinds fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Mar 30, 2015

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Radish posted:

Giving politicians the benefit of the doubt when their policies have horrible results is really stupid. Like when the SCOTUS thread got derailed for a while since even though Republicans have gone of record they want to get rid of abortion, people in the medical community have said their recent "mother protection" policies are unnecessary and illogical, and the bills have resulted in abortion clinics closing due to be unable to meet these regulations that other clinics don't have to worry about we can't know FOR SURE that they are trying to make abortion illegal. It also ties into how it's literally impossible to be racist since we don't have a wizard that can look into people's true hearts and confirm that they are racist regardless of the actions they do.

Anyone trying to say that Religious Freedom law is anything other than a way to make discrimination legal is either a total fool or a bigot and its irritating when people have to be polite about it.

Hardcore conservatives are running with a "Why should I be forced to work for you?" angle, like some poor guy is ripped out of his office, thrown into a kitchen and forced to bake a cake for greedy gay people. It would be funny if it wasn't so infuriating.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Someone got their hands on a deathnote.

Really we should require these anti gay bills to say a business must up and say no fags on its window and website. I mean that's a nice compromise then their upfront.

Dr. Tough
Oct 22, 2007

Rincewinds posted:

Kinda wonder if the gas pedal got stuck and things just escalated, ramming a gate seems rather lacking for an attack.

The idea is usually to ram through the gate and then drive into the building before detonating the car bomb. See: 1983 Beirut bombing.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Dr. Tough posted:

The idea is usually to ram through the gate and then drive into the building before detonating the car bomb. See: 1983 Beirut bombing.

Which is why almost all military bases and a lot of Federal installation have barrier rams now.

Dr. Tough
Oct 22, 2007

CommieGIR posted:

Which is why almost all military bases and a lot of Federal installation have barrier rams now.

Which is why the NSA thing seems to be less "the gas pedal got stuck" and more "most terrorists are idiots"

edit: and apparently the two people that were shot were men dressed as women.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Crowsbeak posted:

Really we should require these anti gay bills to say a business must up and say no fags on its window and website. I mean that's a nice compromise then their upfront.

I would be OK with this.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Young Orc

PupsOfWar posted:

I too am curious about it.

Obviously the right-wing was able to turn it into a perjorative, but what are people thinking about when they use it?

is it "College kid poverty-tourist joke job that only an idiot would cite as real Experience" or is it "sinister agent of the corrupt Chicago electioneering apparatus"? Neither? Both all at once?

icantfindaname posted:

It's code for "anarchist terrorist leftie" like Bill Ayers, meant to stir up memories of 60s-70s leftist agitation among the middle class boomers who make up the conservative voter base

Yeah it's a Saul Alinsky reference.

The right thinks that community organizing just a front for communism or something.

Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad

Pretty weird stuff: http://bigstory.ap.org/article/7a4a9b19dafc4294bbdc0db311574032/police-missouri-auditor-spokesman-dead-apparent-suicide#overlay-context=

quote:

Just minutes before Schweich's death, Schweich had told an Associated Press reporter that he wanted to go public with allegations that the chairman of the Missouri Republican Party, John Hancock, had been telling people last year that Schweich was Jewish. Schweich, who was Christian, said he perceived the remarks to be part of an anti-Semitic whispering campaign against him.

Additionally the 1st guy was on the verge of a huge case regarding a few school board members receiving $25m+ right before he committed suicide: http://www.kctv5.com/story/28132377/state-audit-highly-critical-of-st-joseph-school-districts-spending

quote:

“We actually went back about eight years and found that there was actually over $25 million worth of stipends paid either unapproved, unauthorized or improper,” said State Auditor Thomas Schweich. “So bad, really the worst we've seen that it almost functions as sort of a slush fund outside the regular scope of board approval and this went on for many, many years.”

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Sir Tonk posted:

The right thinks that community organizing just a front for communism or something.
I think it's just that they think a community organizer is a poor person who interacts with other poor (black) people. There are no community organizers in gated communities. It is thus a thing by and for poor people, and can thus be ridiculed and dismissed as insignificant and unnecessary and not a "real job".

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

THE SOUND A WET FART MAKES
USPol April: Please RFRAin from being gay in my business

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Enigma89 posted:

You joke, but the intelligence work group that was responsible for identifying, tracking, and preventing these kind of lone wolf attacks was shut down after the GOP raised hell about it early into Obama's first term.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Inferior Third Season posted:

I think it's just that they think a community organizer is a poor person who interacts with other poor (black) people. There are no community organizers in gated communities. It is thus a thing by and for poor people, and can thus be ridiculed and dismissed as insignificant and unnecessary and not a "real job".

Oh I wish that this were true. My kids school district includes the local gated community so the pta is a social club for those moms there who don't work outside the home. It is exactly community organizing, but they're white people.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

Crowsbeak posted:

Someone got their hands on a deathnote.

Not even that. It should be mandatory that if people do not want to serve a certain type of people in order to exercise their freedom it must be publicly posted what type of people they won't serve so the community knows where they stand. It doesn't even need to be nasty or crude. Just "No homosexuals" or something. That would make things interesting.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

The business owners need to be able to identify those whom they don't wish to serve as well. Maybe an armband or a little star to pin on the undesirables' jackets?

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

On Terra Firma posted:

Not even that. It should be mandatory that if people do not want to serve a certain type of people in order to exercise their freedom it must be publicly posted what type of people they won't serve so the community knows where they stand. It doesn't even need to be nasty or crude. Just "No homosexuals" or something. That would make things interesting.

So the OKCupid gender identity list but for shitheel businesses?

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!

Dr. Tough posted:

edit: and apparently the two people that were shot were men dressed as women.

Someone check on the status of Steven Crowder.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Amergin posted:

USPol April: Please RFRAin from being gay in my business

Needs tweaking I think, but I have to say you're consistently pretty good at these.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

ReidRansom posted:

Needs tweaking I think, but I have to say you're consistently pretty good at these.

Republicans have always been better at bumper sticker messaging.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Okay is just me having an overactive imagination or is there a literal murder conspiracy happening in the Missouri state government?

• Locked thread