Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

W.T. Fits posted:

I still think this post from Crowetron neatly summarizes why Nemesis and RE3 are the best.

Wow. That was the best thing I've ever read. Just, wow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
welp, I got really impatient waiting for the RE5 save importer to come out so I just did a speedrun through the whole thing to get access to all the DLC and unlock some infinite ammo poo poo. I guess I forgot how short this game is - RE6 is like twice as long and Rev1 at least feels longer to me.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

I just really, really like RE3, you guys

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Crowetron posted:

It took me a while to actually finish Resident Evil 3 back when I was a dumb kid because I'd always get nervous about when Nemesis was going to appear and freak out whenever he did. Becoming more wise to how he only appears at scripted points and can only chase you within a set radius destroyed the illusion which pushed me into finally beating the game.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
On another note, I really liked Dino crisis and it's sequel. The original Dino Crisis only had like 3 weapons but that game is weird as I think I barely killed anything in that whole game.

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

W.T. Fits posted:

I still think this post from Crowetron neatly summarizes why Nemesis and RE3 are the best.
While we're referencing that page here's Wanderer on the topic of Leon's sexuality (don't ask):

Wanderer posted:

Leon's straight but he's terrible with women. I really enjoy his characterization just because they have gone well out of their way to establish that he can't drive and he has no game. Dude can plow through an army of zombies and still come up with salon-fresh hair but he'll die alone and his auto insurance premiums look like the national debt clock.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

W.T. Fits posted:

This is a good post.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.
Taking on the nemesis at the first encounter and winning is a loving awesome feeling. I made it a point to play through that game and stuff that motherfucker at every opportunity.

Broose
Oct 28, 2007
Big bads that stalk you is like my #1 fear in video games. I beat RE2 up to scenario B on the N64, but the moment Mr. X got back up I was like "Nope, nope, nope, nope." Even if I could play RE3, I wouldn't, cause of Nemesis. Also for the longest time I thought Mr. X WAS nemesis, but back then I didn't know X took a swim in a lava bath. Or had any idea of the continuity of the games.

Toxsyl
Sep 23, 2012

Somewhere along the line Jill lost a chromosome.

But she kept dat ass.
Speaking of RE3, am I the only person who liked Jill's outfit in 3? I've never had an issue with it. Also does anyone know of a good knife only run of RE3? I know carcinogen has a good 1000% run, but knife runs I've seen so far.

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013
Partially in thanks to a binge read-through of this thread (good decisions are not a thing I do, you see), I've just downloaded RE2 for my Vita. Any advice for someone going in mostly blind? What order should I do for my first playthrough?

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Toxsyl posted:

Speaking of RE3, am I the only person who liked Jill's outfit in 3? I've never had an issue with it. Also does anyone know of a good knife only run of RE3? I know carcinogen has a good 1000% run, but knife runs I've seen so far.

My gf literally responded to the big Resident Evil survey thing they did with "Jill's outfit" where it asked for things you like about RE3. Her rationale was, "I want to fight zombies in a miniskirt."

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

blackguy32 posted:

On another note, I really liked Dino crisis and it's sequel. The original Dino Crisis only had like 3 weapons but that game is weird as I think I barely killed anything in that whole game.

It's entirely possible to get through the whole game without killing anything. Dino Crisis is a funky game like that.

also it's amusing to me that everyone just pretends Dino Crisis 3 doesn't exist

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

DanielCross posted:

Partially in thanks to a binge read-through of this thread (good decisions are not a thing I do, you see), I've just downloaded RE2 for my Vita. Any advice for someone going in mostly blind? What order should I do for my first playthrough?

Claire A/Leon B is "easy mode"; Claire has less health and her weapons are objectively worse. It's also the canonical version of the game.

Beyond that, go in as blind as you can. That's part of the fun.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

DanielCross posted:

Take the Valve handle with you when you go through the sewers.

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

Toxsyl posted:

I haven't actually played 3 so I don't know how the game opens but I always thought her outfit looked fine if she was going to a bar or club or something and then got stuck in a full blown zombie apocalypse. If she was supposed to be on duty or something like that then yeah, that poo poo's ridiculous.

Also, since we're on RE3 how well does it hold up? My PC's been having problems lately so I've been playing more and more on the old PS3. Almost finished with GTA San Andreas and now I'm looking for more old games to play.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

I think Jill's outfit is a bit of a victim of circumstances. The start of RE3 vaguely implies that she was caught by surprise by the outbreak and it's what she happened to be wearing, and it's not that unusual an outfit. Later games pop up and reestablish that the outbreak's been going on for a good five days by the time RE3 starts, at which point the outfit goes from slightly risque civilian garb to an extremely poor life choice.

I don't think I've ever known a female fan of the series who's ever let it go without commentary, though. Jill's tube top in RE3 is apparently glued to her collarbone.

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

Wanderer posted:

I think Jill's outfit is a bit of a victim of circumstances. The start of RE3 vaguely implies that she was caught by surprise by the outbreak and it's what she happened to be wearing, and it's not that unusual an outfit. Later games pop up and reestablish that the outbreak's been going on for a good five days by the time RE3 starts, at which point the outfit goes from slightly risque civilian garb to an extremely poor life choice.
Oh, it's not at all unusual to be honest. If anything that outfit as a fashion choice holds up pretty well, especially compared to clothes who's looks haven't aged as well like Barry's puffy red vest and Ada's outfit in 2. Jill's looks like something you'd see on a woman her age even today. Compared to some of the goofy poo poo female main characters wear in other video games it's a pretty realistic choice. Just, y'know, not for a zombie outbreak. Especially if, like you said, they later establish that people were already seeing zombies on the streets and whatnot.

Also, finally got a rainbow rarity weapon in raid mode. Unique version of the MP-AB50G called The Goldfish, Lvl 100.

Oh lord I forgot about the sweater entirely. Yeah, that really does make the whole thing kind of dumb :(
VVVVVV

InequalityGodzilla fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Mar 31, 2015

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Wanderer posted:

I don't think I've ever known a female fan of the series who's ever let it go without commentary, though. Jill's tube top in RE3 is apparently glued to her collarbone.

I used to think that was a serviceable explanation, and then I always remember that she has a loving sweater tied around her waist for the entire game. But then again, I think RE 3 as a whole is just really odd just for timeline reasons

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.
Does the RE:Revelations 2 Complete Season thing on Steam actually give me all of the episodes? It says it does in the product description but when I go under the actual "Items This Package Includes" it can only show me Episode 2 and 3. And also HUNK. Doesn't appear to contain Episode 4 or the two bonus episodes.

Can anyone who has bought it actually confirm that I'm going to get what I want?

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

blackguy32 posted:

I used to think that was a serviceable explanation, and then I always remember that she has a loving sweater tied around her waist for the entire game. But then again, I think RE 3 as a whole is just really odd just for timeline reasons

The RE3 timeline's nowhere near as complicated as fans want to make it. It probably wasn't an amazing idea to make it a wraparound prequel/sequel rather than just setting it on the whole other side of town, but it's reasonably consistent if you sit down and brain it out.

There's probably a decent paper to be written for a class on game design about the lessons you can take away from how Capcom handled the Raccoon City games. There isn't another decent example in the genre of a bunch of dudes frantically assembling a plot by committee, and the fact that it all holds together as well as it does is some kind of low-wattage miracle.

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

Does the RE:Revelations 2 Complete Season thing on Steam actually give me all of the episodes? It says it does in the product description but when I go under the actual "Items This Package Includes" it can only show me Episode 2 and 3. And also HUNK. Doesn't appear to contain Episode 4 or the two bonus episodes.

Can anyone who has bought it actually confirm that I'm going to get what I want?

It acts a little crazy on Steam, yeah. When I installed the Season Pass, I got the main episodes right there and then, but had to go back and punch Steam a couple of times before the rest of the content downloaded.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Wanderer posted:

The RE3 timeline's nowhere near as complicated as fans want to make it. It probably wasn't an amazing idea to make it a wraparound prequel/sequel rather than just setting it on the whole other side of town, but it's reasonably consistent if you sit down and brain it out.

There's probably a decent paper to be written for a class on game design about the lessons you can take away from how Capcom handled the Raccoon City games. There isn't another decent example in the genre of a bunch of dudes frantically assembling a plot by committee, and the fact that it all holds together as well as it does is some kind of low-wattage miracle.

It acts a little crazy on Steam, yeah. When I installed the Season Pass, I got the main episodes right there and then, but had to go back and punch Steam a couple of times before the rest of the content downloaded.

No, I know how the timeline goes, but just the actual logistics of it is mind boggling. But you really have to turn your brain off when you plain Resident Evil games.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

blackguy32 posted:

No, I know how the timeline goes, but just the actual logistics of it is mind boggling. But you really have to turn your brain off when you plain Resident Evil games.

I'm not sure what's mind-boggling about it at all. Granted, I'm me.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

Wanderer posted:

Well, if it actually gives me all the episodes (with a bit of fiddling), I guess I'll just take a plunge and buy it. I liked what I eventually managed to play of Episode 1.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

Well, if it actually gives me all the episodes (with a bit of fiddling), I guess I'll just take a plunge and buy it. I liked what I eventually managed to play of Episode 1.

Just go to the DLC, then check and uncheck whatever didn't download and it should start right up.

Toxsyl
Sep 23, 2012

Somewhere along the line Jill lost a chromosome.

But she kept dat ass.
I'm pretty sure the RE story is something you need to be inebriated during for the most part. I'm usually drunk having a grand time watching and playing.

Also RE5 and RE6 are poo poo for Keyboard and mouse. Pad is the only way cause QTEs are a nightmare.

Edit: I plan on powering through Mercenaries and the DLC episodes tonight so if anyone is game for some RE% on steam hit me up.

Steam: Kagami_toxsyl I using the name Jun right now.

Toxsyl fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Mar 31, 2015

RoanHorse
Dec 12, 2013

Online Raid Mode drops tomorrow. Add me on Steam ("Ask Your Goat Mom") if you'd like to play it with a well spec'd character for completion medals.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
RE6 handles just fine (better, even) with a KB+M. RE5 is okay, but I do not like whoever decided that F+V is one of the QTE combos that can show up randomly instead of A+D.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Crowetron posted:

It's fine, you are not alone.

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007
Excuse me, do you know where Saiyans hang out?

Geight posted:

RE6 handles just fine (better, even) with a KB+M. RE5 is okay, but I do not like whoever decided that F+V is one of the QTE combos that can show up randomly instead of A+D.

You can remap your keys, you know. It's much easier if those keys are mapped to E and Q.

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

I'm off tomorrow and I doubt I'll be able to resist the temptation to play some raid mode once it's online. Probably gonna be leveling up a few characters ij order to inherit skills. Add me on steam if you like, my ID is just "Febel."

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Rev 2 just updated on the PS4

Is the Coop active?

Kenzo
Jun 29, 2004

Tekseta!

Broose posted:

Big bads that stalk you is like my #1 fear in video games. I beat RE2 up to scenario B on the N64, but the moment Mr. X got back up I was like "Nope, nope, nope, nope." Even if I could play RE3, I wouldn't, cause of Nemesis. Also for the longest time I thought Mr. X WAS nemesis, but back then I didn't know X took a swim in a lava bath. Or had any idea of the continuity of the games.

Alien Isolation would probably kill you then.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Yep, coop is up just a bunch of level 100 dudes everywhere. :v:

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

Alteisen posted:

Yep, coop is up just a bunch of level 100 dudes everywhere. :v:

What were you expecting? Capcom gave them a frickin' month with nothing to do but grind.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

I've got a level 80-something Moira on PS3 looking to burn through the Hard and Very Hard stages if people are setting up games. PSN is 'dwstatic'.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
It's available on PC and there are of course 0 players worldwide even looking for a game. Then again, this may be tied to something else I experience too. Some people say they can buy those red life crystals and other things in the PC "online store" but never once have I been able to look at it due to the game "failing to acquire data" at every point.

e. Oh wait, there was ONE person there for a split second, so maybe it's not broken.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!

It was worth waiting a month just for this. :allears: Since I haven't touched Raid mode at all, when does it start cranking up the challenge? The first gauntlet seems to be mostly slow moving crusty zombies from Barry's campaign, but the daily had all kinds of cool rear end monsters in it.

Also Lunethex I peeked at the matchmaking menu and saw a couple dudes with lobbies up, and some Japanese dude tried to join my game when I forgot to make it friends-only, so it might be something on your end yeah.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Geight posted:

It was worth waiting a month just for this. :allears: Since I haven't touched Raid mode at all, when does it start cranking up the challenge? The first gauntlet seems to be mostly slow moving crusty zombies from Barry's campaign, but the daily had all kinds of cool rear end monsters in it.

Also Lunethex I peeked at the matchmaking menu and saw a couple dudes with lobbies up, and some Japanese dude tried to join my game when I forgot to make it friends-only, so it might be something on your end yeah.

The first gauntlet is indeed really slow-moving zombies but it cranks up the difficulty in subsequent ones by a surprising amount. You've got enemies that turn invisible, enemies with shields, enemies that explode when killed, enemies that knock your gun out of your hand, enemies that give skills to OTHER enemies...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

The shield enemies will be the bane of your existence fairly swiftly. It's worth taking a shotgun with decent knockdown solely to deal with them.