Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

I know.

I just saw that my phone didn't post his Superbrawl entrance properly.

Damnit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I remember Booker T losing the right to use the letter 'T' in a feud with Big T AKA Beer Belly Ahmed Johnson.

But Creative T?

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Dave basically did a HoF bio of Nash since he made the WWEHoF and isn't getting in the Observer's.

quote:

Nash, Hall, Hulk Hogan and later Syxx (Sean Waltman) as the original NWO led to WCW catching fire. From a company that had struggled since its inception, and really, not having a great year since 1986 under Crockett, WCW grew to be the most lucrative and successful pro wrestling company in history in 1997 and 1998. In 1998, the company produced $220 million in revenue and had $50 million in before-tax profits, a level nobody, not WWF under Hogan nor New Japan during the same period, could come close to.

And then it collapsed in 1999. Nash was booker during the collapse.

What exactly is the timeline of WCW bookers from Sullivan up until they went under?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Thauros posted:

Dave basically did a HoF bio of Nash since he made the WWEHoF and isn't getting in the Observer's.

What exactly is the timeline of WCW bookers from Sullivan up until they went under?

Nash became head booker in February of 99, he had it until a month before Russo came in. I forget who had it in that month, maybe Bill Banks? Russo started in October, was gone in January, then Sullivan's committee took over, Bischoff and Russo returned in April, Bischoff was gone shortly after. Terry Taylor booked briefly in the summer when Russo was out, but Russo was mainly booking until October. After that the booking was a mix of Taylor, Johnny Ace and Bischoff. Bischoff was in a weird place as he had some power but was trying to buy the company at the same time.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Say Nothing posted:

I remember Booker T losing the right to use the letter 'T' in a feud with Big T AKA Beer Belly Ahmed Johnson.

But Creative T?

It over the use of anything related to Harlem Heat. Which included the letter T, and his intro music.

ZixTheYeti
Jul 12, 2005

Hellarious!

Thauros posted:

Nash, Hall, Hulk Hogan and later Syxx (Sean Waltman) as the original NWO led to WCW catching fire.

I love this analogy but definitely not in the way Dave intended it. Even at the end, I can just picture the company as a bunch of idiots yelling "MORE WOOD!" as WCW burned to the ground.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

quote:

And speaking of Michaels, he wouldn't be in line to do a job on PPV without an injury cropping up, now would he? After taking a dangerous backdrop over the top rope with his lower back cracking on the casket at the Royal Rumble on 1/18 in San Jose in basically the very first spot of the match, Michaels missed shows the weekend of the Super Bowl complaining that as the week went on, his back had stiffened up. This past week, Michaels' doctors sent word to the WWF that he had a variety of ailments, including a bruised kidney, a slightly separated shoulder, both hips out of alignment, a sprained foot, vertebrae in his back out of alignment not to mention a worsening of his chronic knee problems. Michaels, along with Vader for reasons mentioned last week, were pulled from all house show bookings for at least the next month, with the exception of the 2/15 PPV since it's an eight-man tag in which his participation can be limited, causing all of the cards to have to be re-worked. We have no word as to when Michaels will return as far as working house show matches, but the belief from this end is it would be smart to keep him out of the ring except where necessary until Wrestlemania so he can't come up with another late injury to keep him off the show and thus finding a way to not have to drop the title.

:allears:

Also McCain is trying to shut down the UFC, and Pride is organising another show.

quote:

Bill Goldberg destroyed Mark Starr in 1:12 with the jackhammer to the same big pop as always. Whenever I see Goldberg I can only think how lucky we are in this day and age to have supplements like creatine so all the wrestlers don't have to see a guy like Goldberg getting a push based on nothing but a look and start gobbling up the steroids like everyone did 14 years ago when Nikita Koloff came in and got the exact same reaction looking almost exactly the same and getting the same push. And I just hope we find a Ric Flair today who can take Goldberg and drag a four star match out of him for 35 minutes and when we find the person who does that, they'll be "the man." I wonder if when we do that Goldberg will then also find Jesus, lose 50 pounds, grow his hair back, take out a Lloyd's of London policy and never be heard from again?

... okay?

quote:

WCW is claiming about a 1.1 buy rate for Souled Out, while non-company sources have it pegged at 0.95. Either way it would be the biggest money show in company history that didn't involve Hogan and apparently be about the same or even slightly ahead of Rumble

That's the Flair v Hart main event, afaik.

quote:

Rey Misterio Jr. had reconstructive surgery on his knee on 1/28 in Atlanta. The preliminary view of the doctor is he'll be out of action for five months

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Well, DDP dragged a hell of a good and long match out of Goldberg.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

DeathChicken posted:

it wasn't really long

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

DeathChicken posted:

I do not recall that match having an end, as it just ended midway through.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

DeathChicken posted:

Raven got a good match out of him too, although I don't remember how long it was.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Alain Post posted:

it wasn't really long

It was about 15 minutes, which is forever in Goldberg time

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

CombineThresher posted:

Raven got a good match out of him too, although I don't remember how long it was.

Are you thinking of the US Title match on Nitro?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
15 minutes is a really long match for Goldberg and even longer for most of the WCW main-eventers from 98-onward.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Man Dave really, really hated Goldberg.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
LAST WEEK: Lex Luger joined the Wolfpac and offered Sting a black and red shirt, what will Sting do?

THIS WEEK:

JERRY FLYNN VS THE CAT

RAVEN AND SATURN VS PUBLIC ENEMY

ALEX WRIGHT VS CHAVO GUERRERO JR

KONNAN VS LENNY LANE

EDDY GUERRERO VS FIT FINLAY FOR THE TV TITLE

CHRIS JERICHO VS JUVENTUD GUERRERA

MATCH 4 OF THE BEST OF 7

BOOKER T VS CHRIS BENOIT

SCOTTY RIGGS VS DDP

LA PARKA VS GOLDBERG FOR THE US TITLE

THE GIANT AND HOLLYWOOD HOGAN VS KEVIN NASH AND LEX LUGER

All of that and more tonight at 8 PM!

Tune in at 7:30 for the second to last episode of NECW, then Nitro then SSW! Maybe some lucha too.

http://www.psp-tv.com/r/BadMoviesWorseWrestling

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

DeathChicken posted:

That DDP vs Goldberg match was pretty ace. I have never seen the Raven one.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Raven one was just a bunch of bullshit with the flock building up to a spear spot.

Make no mistake, it owned bones.

edit: Goldberg really put it all together and he wouldn't have gotten over without that physical charisma he has.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

The DDP vs Goldberg one is the first time he missed a spear. He literally didn't know how and freaked out when DDP told him the spot.

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014

Luigi Thirty posted:

The DDP vs Goldberg one is the first time he missed a spear. He literally didn't know how and freaked out when DDP told him the spot.

And then proceeded to knock himself silly by going full speed into the ring post on the missed spear.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I feel like Goldberg missing a spear and hurting his shoulder/head became as commonplace as a ref bump in a HHH match.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

LordPants posted:

Raven one was just a bunch of bullshit with the flock building up to a spear spot.

Make no mistake, it owned bones.

edit: Goldberg really put it all together and he wouldn't have gotten over without that physical charisma he has.

The spot where Horace nails Goldberg with the stop sign completely deflates the crowd for a split second. Then he just shrugs it off and destroys Horace, and the crowd explodes - that is one of the greatest Goldberg moments I can think of. The rest of that match was icing, but the fact that they had the crowd on a great rollercoaster was amazing.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
Goldberg is a funny case. At the time, with the cruiserweights, Jericho, Benoit, etc etc., he looked like a clumsy, slow useless wrestler. But looking back on him with years of Vince trying to get boring dudes over, Goldberg is a lot better.

It's like when Bryan and Vinnie looked back on an old WCW match, maybe Hogan vs Warrior? And came to the realization that, after years of TNA and WWE the match didn't seem so bad after all.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
A Goldberg moment that always amused me was in an early match with Glacier, there was a spot where Glacier was supposed to do a kipup and then get speared into a table, but he hosed up the kipup. To his credit, rather than just standing around like a dope, Goldberg did like a "C'MON" motion with this little run-in-place move that looked like someone charging up for a special move, then speared him as soon as he made it up.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

To be fair, there's a near endless list of hilarious/sad things about that Goldberg paragraph with the benefit of hindsight. I hope it gets worse and worse as time goes on.

Edit: And yes, Bryan and Vinny reviewed Warrior/Hogan at Halloween Havoc, and I believe Bryan said at the time he gave it -****, and after re-watching it determined if it happened today it'd be nowhere near -****.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Goldberg is actually one of my favorites and I'm shocked that Hogan did the job because of how 1999 went. That Nitro was like the greatest thing ever to me as a dumb teenager.

DDP/Goldberg is also great, I also enjoyed Sting/Goldberg even if it had a lovely finish.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

The funny thing is - Goldberg is 48, but says he could get back in the ring if asked. WWE just hasn't made a deal with him.

So he's doing a podcast, and he's actually a pretty entertaining guy. He sounds exactly like a retired jock should - just having a good time talking about cars and sports. He's pretty good at doing interviews, and sounds like a pretty laid-back guy.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
He's doing a full training camp for kickboxing and might do a fight in Glory, lol

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Goldberg got into wrestling during a very hot time, was pretty much a star (or at least paid like one) for most of his career, and got out with no major injuries. He had close to the ideal pro wrestling career.

Now he's going to go to other cool things like kickbox Alberto Del Rio.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
The worst thing about Goldberg ramming into the ring post in that one match is that the supposed ring veterans of Kronik just stand there looking dumb. Absolutely no attempt at saving anything, just stand there looking dumb while Goldberg is knocked loopy.

electric funeral
Oct 16, 2004

ACCIO PANTIES
*swoosh flick*

Red posted:

The funny thing is - Goldberg is 48, but says he could get back in the ring if asked. WWE just hasn't made a deal with him.

So he's doing a podcast, and he's actually a pretty entertaining guy. He sounds exactly like a retired jock should - just having a good time talking about cars and sports. He's pretty good at doing interviews, and sounds like a pretty laid-back guy.

He was still really bitter about Regal on the Art Of Wrestling.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

1st AD posted:

He's doing a full training camp for kickboxing and might do a fight in Glory, lol

Goldberg vs. Bob Sapp, book it.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

electric funeral posted:

He was still really bitter about Regal on the Art Of Wrestling.

Goldberg thinking wrestling is real is one of the best things

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

triplexpac posted:

it's real when Regal is involved

electric funeral
Oct 16, 2004

ACCIO PANTIES
*swoosh flick*

triplexpac posted:

There's also the story of him going to Russo to complain about jobbing to Scott Steiner because "He could never beat me in a real fight". Scott Steiner.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Which reminds me of that story of DDP getting in a fight with Steiner and thinking in confusion "What's that feeling? Oh, he's trying to *pull out my eye*."

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
Why did Steiner hate Flair, anyway?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Halloween Jack posted:

IIRC, he felt Flair hung on too long and held guys back.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

El Gallinero Gros posted:

IIRC, he felt Flair hung on too long and held guys back.

Oh yeah it was FLAIR who was in the way of everyone moving up the card. Not Hollywood by any means, oh no.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Halloween Jack posted:

he was a back stabbing butt sucking bastard in this business, but also in life