Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Kamisama Kiss season 2 ended and was a really good shoujo show and now I'm going to have to read the manga. I'm only sad I was too lazy to make a thread for it and no-one else bothered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Sakurazuka posted:

Kamisama Kiss season 2 ended and was a really good shoujo show and now I'm going to have to read the manga. I'm only sad I was too lazy to make a thread for it and no-one else bothered.

I thought about it briefly but tbh I think you and I are the only people actually watching it, and I was also too lazy.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I know at least one other person was watching it but yeah, that's probably it. :(

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Sakurazuka posted:

what's it about

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

I watched Kamisama Kiss 2 and it was solid but I remember the first season thread and there wasn't much activity so I didn't bother making a thread

kater
Nov 16, 2010

everythingWasBees posted:

what's it about

Pastel butterflies, mostly.

KK2 didn't have the amazing ending song the first season had so it doesn't deserve a thread.

Was still great.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Kamisama Kiss 2 was a pretty great show. It's fun and relaxing to watch.

It doesn't really offer much commentary though because pretty much every episode is "Tomoe frets about relationship with Nanami but doesn't move it forward. Nanami is oblivious and rushes into things. Hijinks ensue". Also they make a bunch of wacky faces every episode as well which is great. KK2 is a solid show and hopefully they do more. I never expected a season 2 in the first place so who knows?

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I'd love to see another season of it but if you've only watched the anime definitely check out the manga. Nanami is one of my favorite shoujo leads and I love how she is the actual hero of the story and not just some damsel in distress constantly having her love interest come to her rescue. As I posted in the shoujo/josei thread, the anime covers the manga pretty closely but you do miss out on some smaller things and there's a pretty good character who was excluded completely, so if you can manage it I'd suggest reading it from the beginning. However, S2 ends about 3/4 into Volume 11 so you could also jump in at that point fairly easily.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
CR picked up Baby Steps 2, neat.

I still have to go finish up season 1 though. Maybe I'll continue doing my info posts, if there's things worth saying.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.
Depending on where you stopped watching, it might be best to skip to the last two episodes then watch the upcoming season. I do not know if it is from being faithful to the manga or the staff finding out they were getting another season, but the last quarter of the show was not as good as the earlier episodes. Until the last two episodes where the best friend clinches the best anime wingman title and the MC gets a new coach. The new coach tries to get him to calm his sperginess and sends him to an American training camp for the beginning of s2.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Everything Burrito posted:

I'd love to see another season of it but if you've only watched the anime definitely check out the manga. Nanami is one of my favorite shoujo leads and I love how she is the actual hero of the story and not just some damsel in distress constantly having her love interest come to her rescue. As I posted in the shoujo/josei thread, the anime covers the manga pretty closely but you do miss out on some smaller things and there's a pretty good character who was excluded completely, so if you can manage it I'd suggest reading it from the beginning. However, S2 ends about 3/4 into Volume 11 so you could also jump in at that point fairly easily.

I'll have to check it out, but if the manga is anything like the anime, I'm kinda going to disagree about Nanami not being a damsel in distress. In both seasons there's been plenty of times where she always resorts to just going "Tomoe save me!" and he has to bail her out (like the last two episodes for instance. Nanami got lost in her own memories and the two guys had to help her out, just as an example). However, it's been really good about growing Nanami as a character and her Talismans seems to be working a lot more and she made Mamoru who seems to be able to help out a bit. I was pleasantly surprised that for the Sojobo arc that she was the one to resolve things completely on her own for the most part (until she came up against a big bad beast and had to be saved of course).

So yeah, it does that a bunch, but it's not nearly as bad as some other shows.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Early on that is true and I think the tengu arc is where she starts coming into her own quite a bit. I am also thinking of parts where Nanami gets into poo poo over her head and comes out of it perhaps not entirely due to her own power but is able to meet Tomoe partway vs waiting passively for rescue (when re-reading the manga I thought this came across more clearly than it did in the anime BTW). The stuff in the underworld is a good example of that -- Tomoe got her out in the end, but she got all the way to the exit on her own.

I think a lot of that can be chalked up to the fantasy of being saved by your fox(y) man having to be in there somewhere so he swoops in at the end after Nanami did all the heavy lifting.

Edit: I wish the anime had made it all the way to the end of volume 11 because the story from that chapter is a really nice counterpoint to what happens in the 12-year gates. Very brief summary: Tomoe and Nanami go to the year-end spirit market where Nanami is accosted by ogres wanting to eat her as usual. Tomoe rushes to her rescue when he realizes that she's in trouble again but she's already defeated both guys just with some ingenuity and one of the crappy white talismans Tomoe wouldn't let her give to the shrine visitors. Tomoe ends up really frustrated because he wants Nanami to let him protect her and she refuses, but Nanami was able to win because of her faith in herself and is also able to figure out (thanks to a fortune) that Tomoe sees potential in her. It's a little one-off adventure but to me it encapsulates a lot of the themes of the story and I think would have been a way better end point than where the anime left off.

Everything Burrito fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Mar 31, 2015

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Early on that is true and I think the tengu arc is where she starts coming into her own quite a bit. I am also thinking of parts where Nanami gets into poo poo over her head and comes out of it perhaps not entirely due to her own power but is able to meet Tomoe partway vs waiting passively for rescue (when re-reading the manga I thought this came across more clearly than it did in the anime BTW). The stuff in the underworld is a good example of that -- Tomoe got her out in the end, but she got all the way to the exit on her own.

I think a lot of that can be chalked up to the fantasy of being saved by your fox(y) man having to be in there somewhere so he swoops in at the end after Nanami did all the heavy lifting.

Yeah, I agree with that. I think I enjoyed Season 2 a lot more because it definitely did feel like Nanami was actively solving her own problems a lot more.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

ANN - Kawagoe Helms Cyborg 009's New 50th Anniversary Anime posted:

The official website of the late manga creator Shotaro Ishinomori announced on Tuesday that director Jun Kawagoe is helming a new Cyborg 009 anime project. The project celebrates the 50th anniversary since Ishinomori's original Cyborg 009 manga was first serialized in 1964. The website also revealed a visual for the project.

Jun Kawagoe previously directed the 52-episode Cyborg 009 The Cyborg Soldier television anime series, which began in 2001 and ended in 2002. Ishinomori's official website teases:

"2015. The battles of the 00-numbered cyborgs will continue."

I like Kawagoe but he doesn't seem to get much work these days.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I hope it's better than that loving awful movie from last year.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

The 2001 remake was pretty cool. Weird that they're rebooting the series with the same director but Kawagoe is great at directing action so I'm down with that.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

They don't say if it'll be reboot so since Kawagoe is involved maybe they'll pick up where the '01 series left off. That series hits the end of the original manga run and just jumps to the end of God's War for the last three episodes. There's a ton of stuff in between.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

That would be pretty nice, I don't mind their origin story but I'd prefer to not see an unabridged version of it in a new series!

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」
Honestly the most important thing about this is that if it gets picked up in the west (and it should, 009 Re:Cyborg did and is held up by other issues, even though it's bullshit) it should have the potential to motivate finally getting more than the first two discs of the goddamn 2001 series available. The potential for this to be a pseudo-interquel only increases the odds that this is useful for motivating that outcome.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

New Noragami has been apparently greenlit, dont know how they are going to do it since the last chapter in the anime was an amalgamation of a bunch of parts of the manga.

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

Cao Ni Ma posted:

New Noragami has been apparently greenlit, dont know how they are going to do it since the last chapter in the anime was an amalgamation of a bunch of parts of the manga.

i watched like half of that show and was not a big fan. it definitely seemed like they were not sure if it was going to get a second season so they were trying to hit a bunch of cool parts with the episodes they had

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Yay! I wonder if they'll just do more anime-only stuff; the manga has a side-story spinoff and a prequel for the anime villain so as a franchise it doesn't seem averse to branching out from the original material.

Everything Burrito fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Mar 31, 2015

DiabloCthulhu
Mar 23, 2013
The last Noragami arc was actually anime-original but it didn't counteract anything in the manga so they didn't screwed up their chances to adapt more and can easily continue adapting following manga chapters.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Oh man, that's so awesome! I loved Cyborg 009 on Toonami and Cyborgs Talk About God, Find No Answers To Anything was a terrible dissappointment. Looking forward to seeing if this new stuff is any good.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Since the previous thread for Baby Steps was a seasonal sports megathread, should I just make a new one? Or should we keep using the old one? I was thinking about finishing my info posts for the episodes I missed from the first season.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I actually liked Noragami a lot but maybe I'm just a big fan of girl w/ hat.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Noragami was fun, yeah. Nothing spectacular, but I'll totally watch another season of it.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

Noragami was fun, yeah. Nothing spectacular, but I'll totally watch another season of it.

Yeah. It's basically the same for me. It was solid.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Made a thread for Baby Steps: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3710164

Since I only watched up to episode 15 of the first season, I'll be (probably) doing info posts on the rest of the episodes.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

ViggyNash posted:

Made a thread for Baby Steps: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3710164

Since I only watched up to episode 15 of the first season, I'll be (probably) doing info posts on the rest of the episodes.

added

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

I thought about it briefly but tbh I think you and I are the only people actually watching it, and I was also too lazy.

I watched it and same.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
If it gets a third season I officially volunteer to make some sort of half-assed thread so don't let me forget.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Is it possible to watch the Cyborg 009 2001 series at all in okayish quality? It doesn't even seem to exist in :filez: past the first 25 episodes.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

There's Japanese DVD raws of the whole thing on Nyaa and there are subs of 26-51 on there but both the subs and video are terrible.

http://www.nyaa.se/?page=view&tid=594977 raws
http://www.nyaa.se/?page=view&tid=281276 crabsticks

The show is worth it though. Just maybe read the manga too.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I'm surprised nobody seems to even have TV/VHS rips of the Toonami run lying around. I watch most stuff dubbed anyways so I'd totally take that over HK subs.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

LORD OF BUTT posted:

I'm surprised nobody seems to even have TV/VHS rips of the Toonami run lying around. I watch most stuff dubbed anyways so I'd totally take that over HK subs.

There's only dubs of the first 26 episodes is the issue. I found a streaming site that had good subs of the last half of the show, but I have no idea what it was called or even if it's still around anymore. :(

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Oh poo poo, I could have sworn the whole thing ran on Toonami back in the day and not just the first 26. :smith:

Uznare
Jul 15, 2010

It's not animation, but the real stories!
The entire thing did run on toonami. ButI have no idea if there's actually any way to watch it currently.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!

Guyver posted:

They don't say if it'll be reboot so since Kawagoe is involved maybe they'll pick up where the '01 series left off. That series hits the end of the original manga run and just jumps to the end of God's War for the last three episodes. There's a ton of stuff in between.
I really hated this

Uznare posted:

The entire thing did run on toonami. ButI have no idea if there's actually any way to watch it currently.

It took me months to cobble together subbed episodes to watch it all. I think like half of them were subbed in another language then translated to english, poorly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

GorfZaplen posted:

There's only dubs of the first 26 episodes is the issue. I found a streaming site that had good subs of the last half of the show, but I have no idea what it was called or even if it's still around anymore. :(

I swear all 52 episodes have a dub, because I caught the ending of the series end (ep 49) in english with 009 and and 002 falling back to Earth with no fuel left on (Aus) Cartoon Network once.

Sakurazuka posted:

I hope it's better than that loving awful movie from last year.

Funny story; I saw that in a theater. In 3D, no less. Madman Entertainment does a run of four anime movies in indie cinemas every year, and Re:Cyborg 009 was part of it last year so I went and saw it because I loved the 2001 cartoon as a kid.

My summation of the film is as follows; Do not watch Re:Cyborg 009. No, not even out of irony or curiosity, I'm saying this for your own good.

• Locked thread