Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

lol yeah im sure you were.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
No really! Handal I thought, is that a Fin or a Chinese composer?

krampster2
Jun 26, 2014

I just watched this video and found it pretty awesome: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4hZY5h84Wc

Like everyone I've heard Beethoven's 5th symphony a few times (the first movement anyway, everyone knows the first movement) but have never studied it. Even though the composer doesn't go into much depth with his analysis on that video it helped me understand a lot. And so when after watching it I went back and listened to the piece again I enjoyed it much more. I don't do this enough, study a piece before I listen to it. I normally just dive right in without a clear picture of what I'm listening to and it normally just ends up confusing my newbie brain.

Do you guys have a any sources you would recommend for studying the great works that you enjoy? Anything in audio form like a podcast or video and not too technical as I am only a beginner.

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

http://www.theguardian.com/music/classical/page/0,,1943867,00.html

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

this is a bit specific but this may help you understand bach a bit more

http://www.pianostreet.com/smf/index.php/topic,2714.0.html

krampster2
Jun 26, 2014

Oh this looks great, listening to the one on Op.111 now.

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

he gets all butthurt about boogie woogie in that one lol

megalodong
Mar 11, 2008

Schiff is wonderful. I get where he's coming from with the whole "it's not jazz!" thing, I think it's just his English isn't up to task for what he wants to say there haah.

Re: romantic era stuff, yeah some of it is horridly overdramatic poo poo, especially near the end just before the atonal stuff started in response to it, but I've grown to like it after forcing myself to play the Chopin nocturnes and some Brahms stuff. As long as it's played by someone with some actual restraint and taste, it's really good.

Totally different mindset I find to play it though, compared to earlier era music, so maybe the same applies with listening to it?

krampster2
Jun 26, 2014

opus111 posted:

he gets all butthurt about boogie woogie in that one lol

that was pretty funny. that bit does sound jazzy as heck though, i can't really get past it

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

hey maybe this is redundant but im gonna write down 10 beethoven pieces you should check out if you havne't already. maybe im being presumptuous but it seems you're just getting into this kind of music? btw im not gonna include the symphonies because eveyone knows them. not gonna write super emotional descriptions either, who needs that. this isn't in any order btw, just genre

piano:

The final three piano sonatas (i see these as a set) opus 109, 110 and 111.
Sonata no.1 - opus 2-1
Bagatelle opus 126
Diabelli Variations opus. 120

strings:

Quartet opus 132 (check out the 3rd movement especially)
Quartet opus 131
Quintet opus 29
Grosse fugue opus 133

Concertos:

Piano concerto no. 3 opus 37

Other:

Missa Solemnis opus 123

most of this is his later stuff. I love pretty much 99% of his music but these are the ones I'd listen to if i had a few hours on my death bed.

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

but if you do want to include symphonies then no. 8 is my favourite and no1 is underrated as heck.

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

allllllso opus 106, 4th movement especially, like drat.

krampster2
Jun 26, 2014

Thanks for that! You're right I am just getting into this stuff. I'll give a listen to your list, making sure to read up on stuff though before I listen to it. I have no idea what music to look for so any recommendations are appreciated.

Funny you mentioned the 3rd movement of Op.132 because I listened to it for the first time less then an hour ago. It was a good tearjerker, especially when taking in consideration how lovely and messed up his life was when he wrote it.

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

check dis

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_nqi06Dl3c

especially the piano battle bit with all the excited girls shaking their tits about.

krampster2
Jun 26, 2014

opus111 posted:

check dis

especially the piano battle bit with all the excited girls shaking their tits about.

nice, i'll give it watch tomorrow (it's past my bed time). dunno what a piano battle is but if there are tits involved i am excited to find out

krampster2
Jun 26, 2014

opus111 posted:

check dis

wow beethoven was a real dick

that was pretty interesting though

krampster2
Jun 26, 2014

What do you guys do while listening to classical music? I'm crap at multitasking and find that if I try and do anything else while listening to it, the music will just go by unnoticed. So normally I just lie down in my bed with my headphones on and my eyes closed.

Also have now listened most of Beethoven's piano sonatas and concertos. They are all awesome.

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

i usually listen in bed too, nice and early so i dont fall asleep. I also spend a lot of time traveling long distance in coaches and planes so thats always where i listen to Mahler lol.

i have to concentrate on classical music. if i want background music while im cooking or browsing the net or something i choose stuff like dance and rap.

krampster2
Jun 26, 2014

Yeah same. Since I started listening to classical music all the other genres I used to listen have now just become what I use when I want background music.

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

I like to pull up the scores on IMSLP and follow them. It's especially good for symphonies where I find I otherwise get a bit lost.

Acquilae
May 15, 2013

Went and saw Yo-Yo Ma last night with the Chicago Symphony Orchestra and was breathtaking. It peaked when he did Saint Saens' Poet and the Muse with the CSO's lead violinist and with the way they both played, it absolutely bought the house down with the performance.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities
Wife and I just saw "Marriage of Figaro" at the LA Opera. Really, really good production - the company was one of the best I've ever seen. I don't know if I agreed with all of the direction; Roberto Tagliavini as Figaro himself was played maybe a little too straight? Just a tiny bit though - he was still really funny, and an amazing singer. Pretty Yende, a South African soprano, was perfect as Susanna, and Guanqun Yu, a soprano from Beijing, was maybe the best Countess I've ever seen. The person who wowed me the most, though, was Ryan McKinny as the Count. That guy is a talent. He stole every scene he was in.

Anyway, it was great. Everyone in the LA area should see it.:)

krampster2
Jun 26, 2014

Thus far in my journey into classical music I have listened to mostly Beethoven. Feel like it's time to move on to the next composer, Haydn. Have listened to his 32nd, 34th and 50th piano sonatas and they are fantastic. I find them more beginner friendly than most of Beethoven's piano compositions (especially Beethoven's late piano sonatas). What else should I listen to from Haydn?

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

krampster2 posted:

Thus far in my journey into classical music I have listened to mostly Beethoven. Feel like it's time to move on to the next composer, Haydn. Have listened to his 32nd, 34th and 50th piano sonatas and they are fantastic. I find them more beginner friendly than most of Beethoven's piano compositions (especially Beethoven's late piano sonatas). What else should I listen to from Haydn?

I'm not a big Haydn guy, but listen to Symphony 94.

Armack
Jan 27, 2006
I'm a bit late to the conversation on the emotional quality of Bach. But, if anyone listens to this and doesn't feel powerful emotion then please tell me who you are so I can stay away from you, you terrifying bastards:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hz-QCvB4m1U

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

krampster2 posted:

Hadyn is all about string quartets and quintets - he defined their form as you know them today. I'd start with those.

Hadyn is one of those composers whose quality and depth I recognise but he doesn't speak to me as Mozart and Beethoven do. I hope that as I get older that changes though, so I always put some time aside from him.

krampster2
Jun 26, 2014

opus111 posted:

Hadyn is all about string quartets and quintets - he defined their form as you know them today. I'd start with those.

Hadyn is one of those composers whose quality and depth I recognise but he doesn't speak to me as Mozart and Beethoven do. I hope that as I get older that changes though, so I always put some time aside from him.

Alrighty thanks opus.

Also can anyone help me with this vague crossword? The clue is: All (music)
It's 5 spaces and so far I have A_T_I but that could be wrong. Is there an Italian word used to notate a moment wherein the entire orchestra plays all at once? That's what someone suggested it could be but I dunno.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

krampster2 posted:

Alrighty thanks opus.

Also can anyone help me with this vague crossword? The clue is: All (music)
It's 5 spaces and so far I have A_T_I but that could be wrong. Is there an Italian word used to notate a moment wherein the entire orchestra plays all at once? That's what someone suggested it could be but I dunno.

Italian for that is 'tutti'.

krampster2
Jun 26, 2014

uXs posted:

Italian for that is 'tutti'.

Thank you! I think you might be right

E: Answers came out in the paper today and yeah it was "tutti."

krampster2 fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Apr 1, 2015

krampster2
Jun 26, 2014

Also happy birthday Rachmaninoff.
I like some of his paino transcriptions.

krampster2
Jun 26, 2014

Please don't die on me thread, I need recommendations. Can anyone recommend me good books on classical music? Something beginner friendly and not too bogged down in theory.

firebad57
Dec 29, 2008
Alex Ross's The Rest Is Noise is an awesome, well-curated guide to classical music in the 20th century, in all its forms. You'll be well-listened by the time you finish it.

Lumius
Nov 24, 2004
Superior Awesome Sucks

krampster2 posted:

Please don't die on me thread, I need recommendations. Can anyone recommend me good books on classical music? Something beginner friendly and not too bogged down in theory.

If you want a survey type thing the newish norton series "Western Music in Context" is alright, i took a look at the baroque one and it was interesting. The king of music history books is Richard Taruskin's series, it has analysis but you can always skip it over, also Taruskin is the man. You can get the like 8k page, 5 volume set for 120-140 when it frequently comes on sale (the taruskin one).

The Norton series is a fairly quick read, I probably should've mentioend that. It's also not exactly a traditional narrative, new musicology blah blah blah etc.

Lumius fucked around with this message at 04:43 on May 18, 2015

megalodong
Mar 11, 2008

krampster2 posted:

"The Classical Style: Haydn, Mozart, Beethoven" by Charles Rosen.

krampster2
Jun 26, 2014

Wow thanks guys. I'll look into this stuff. I find it much easier to understand and enjoy a piece once I've read about it.

E: Ordered a copy of The Rest is Noise

krampster2 fucked around with this message at 12:39 on May 18, 2015

abske_fides
Apr 20, 2010

megalodong posted:

"The Classical Style: Haydn, Mozart, Beethoven" by Charles Rosen.

As much as that book is amazing, it's far from beign beginner friendly if you're not well versed in musical analysis, harmony, counterpoint, etc. I mean, you'll still get quite a bit out of it but the book is really an academic volume designed to understand the Classical period.

As for recommendations... For contemporary stuff check out Kaija Saariaho's Lichtbogen which is a fantastic piece with good use of live processing. I'm also a sucker for Ralph Vaughan Williams' symphonies, Jean Sibelius' 1st and 5th symphony, Arne Nordheim's Greening & Floating and Rimsky-Korsakov's 2nd symphony.

Any fans of Schnittke here? I've been listening to some of his stuff and it's interesting but I still haven't had a-ha moment with his compositions.

krampster2
Jun 26, 2014

Thanks for the recs. Also speaking of contemporary, I discovered John Luther Adams recently, listened to Become Ocean and it was super awesome.

david crosby
Mar 2, 2007

abske_fides posted:

Any fans of Schnittke here? I've been listening to some of his stuff and it's interesting but I still haven't had a-ha moment with his compositions.

I really like his 3rd quartet, but I haven't really had an 'a-ha' moment with any of his stuff. tbqh I don't usually have that kind of response with contemporary composers, I usually just find a work kinda kool and perplexing the first time I listen to it, and, if I listen to it further, I like it a bit more each time.

James The 1st
Feb 23, 2013

Jan posted:

This has been bugging me for a while, and I'm worried I already know the answer but... Is there any trick to using Google Music All Access to discover new classical recordings without having to dredge through hundreds of these:

So far, the best I've found is to research by orchestra as well as composer, but that requires some prior knowledge of what you're looking for. I guess between the London, Berlin and Vienna orchestras, you can find just about any orchestral recording but that's still just the tip of the iceberg.
What you do is go a classical seller like Arkiv as they have a really useful and organized search database for what's on CD for pretty much every composer.
You can also look at records like Naxos and Chandos, they cover the more neglected music that the big labels ignore and avoid repertoire duplication in their catalogs.

I pretty much enjoy all music from medieval chant to the the minimalists. Expect for Schoenberg's school of atonal junk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer
I've been listening to Mahler's 5th and 6th Symphonies, and I've especially loved the poo poo out of the first two movements of the 6th (in the correct andante/scherzo order :colbert:). What's out there that's similarly powerful and big and brassy?