Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EvilElmo
May 10, 2009

gay picnic defence posted:

Apparently. And somehow how an inept record keeping system meant that the missing records simply must have contained evidence of banned drugs. Too bad our justice system requires actual proof of wrongdoing to record a conviction, and not just the collective will of Big Footy.

Correct me if I'm off the mark here.

But this isn't in an Australian court, but rather an AFL court. So the evidence required wouldn't have to be as strong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

I don't like people who take drugs. Customs agents, for example - Albert Einstein

Apparently. And somehow how an inept record keeping system meant that the missing records simply must have contained evidence of banned drugs. Too bad our justice system requires actual proof of wrongdoing to record a conviction, and not just the collective will of Big Footy.

Mate your boys were on the gear

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

EvilElmo posted:

But this other Dank guy, he's not a player, or an ex-player. He's bad, but he's gone now. AFL is a clean sport now that he has gone. It's all due to him. Nobody else.

The players taking Clenbuterol are going to be the ones falling off the cliff.

EvilElmo
May 10, 2009

Schlesische posted:

The players taking Clenbuterol are going to be the ones falling off the cliff.

Nah mate. Tainted beef.

Got any evidence of them injecting it?

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

Nutsngum posted:

Rumour mill has also stated the the two players are another two from Collingwood.

So no one has any real clue right at the moment.

If you return a positive test and become provisionally suspended are you allowed to train with the club? Cause if so that would rule out Hickey cause he trained today. But on the other had: didn't Saad play 1 game after it was revealed in the news? I have no idea how any of this poo poo works.

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

Or The Age.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

If ASADA couldn't find a paper trail after 2 years of searching it probably doesn't exist.

Yes, because Essendon kept few documents and shredded the rest it totally makes them innocent of running a club wide doping program.

EvilElmo posted:

But this isn't in an Australian court, but rather an AFL court. So the evidence required wouldn't have to be as strong.

Because of organisations like Essendon and the US Postal cycling team not keeping records, destroying records, generally behaving like criminal organisations, and being beyond legal compulsion, doping cases had the burden of proof reduced from beyond reasonable doubt to comfortable satisfaction.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Mar 31, 2015

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Periphery posted:

If you return a positive test and become provisionally suspended are you allowed to train with the club? Cause if so that would rule out Hickey cause he trained today. But on the other had: didn't Saad play 1 game after it was revealed in the news? I have no idea how any of this poo poo works.

Based on Buckley last night, Keefe and Thomas didn't train with the club upon being notified

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

EvilElmo posted:

Nah mate. Tainted beef.

If even one of the Essendon players had returned a positive test at any point this would have played out very differently. Keefe, Thomas and Crowley are proper hosed.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

Periphery posted:

No idea at all.

Not much really makes sense in all this. Could Hickey be linked purely because of where he came from in relation to the other two players? Who knows at this stage.

EvilElmo
May 10, 2009

Gough Suppressant posted:

If even one of the Essendon players had returned a positive test at any point this would have played out very differently. Keefe, Thomas and Crowley are proper hosed.

Luckily they took some experimental drugs that can't be detected.

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

:qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq:

EvilElmo posted:

Nah mate. Tainted beef.

you can take clen orally

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

EvilElmo posted:

Correct me if I'm off the mark here.

More evidence is admissible in the AFL tribunal but assuming those three retired judges did their job properly it would have been weighted the same as it would have been in a court of law. However the statements that ASADA's two key witnesses refused to sign off on that ASADA apparently relied upon so heavily would not be admissible in a normal court of law I pretty sure so it is swings and roundabouts.

NTRabbit posted:

Yes, because Essendon kept few documents and shredded the rest it totally makes them innocent of running a club wide doping program.

Because of organisations like Essendon and the US Postal cycling team not keeping records, destroying records, generally behaving like criminal organisations, and being beyond legal compulsion, doping cases had the burden of proof reduced from beyond reasonable doubt to comfortable satisfaction.

:lol:

Sometimes when there is no or insufficient evidence that something took place it means it didn't actually happen.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

More evidence is admissible in the AFL tribunal but assuming those three retired judges did their job properly it would have been weighted the same as it would have been in a court of law. However the statements that ASADA's two key witnesses refused to sign off on that ASADA apparently relied upon so heavily would not be admissible in a normal court of law I pretty sure so it is swings and roundabouts.

:lol:

Sometimes when there is no or insufficient evidence that something took place it means it didn't actually happen.

Come on man. What do you think Essendon was actually doing then?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Nutsngum posted:

Saline and vitamin B of course

EvilElmo
May 10, 2009

Nutsngum posted:

Buying illegal drugs and keeping them for everyone to look at.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.

Graic Gabtar posted:

Ahh, good times.

Get the gently caress out of my thread you piece of poo poo pox on society

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Ah good, maybe now we can move past the Essendon doping thing.

LOL JK looking forward to 12 months more of appeals.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
Tim Watson just said "a valuable lesson has been learned, we can be sure no one will be keeping shoddy records in the future".

The greatest troll

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
What's most likely to happen is the appeals drags on for another two years, until newly appointed Melbourne coach simon Goodwin is revealed as the mastermind of it all.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
It should also be pointed out that Stephen dank reiterated his belief days ago that TB-4 was not a banned substance at the time. Why would he do that if that wasn't what he used?

I am glad the players got off, because they were not at fault at all, but don't try to pretend it didn't happen, because it did, and everyone knows it, and the only reason Essendon isn't getting done for it is that unlike the Storm they had the good sense to not keep records of their systematic cheating.

boy undead
Nov 11, 2006

time to get prolific with
the whiz kid
Please not Tom Hickey. Please. Just one off-season. One.

(Jason Holmes come on doooown)

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Nutsngum posted:

gently caress knows. But you don't throw the book at a bunch of players just because you can't prove one way or another what they took. What if, God forbid, they were actually just given AOD and thymomodulin like Dank said they were? There could be a miscarriage of justice!

In case anyone cares, this is a decent summary of why a circumstantial case was unlikely to succeed in situations like this where the allegations are pretty serious: http://www.wiseworkplace.com.au/_blog/WISE_Blog/post/how-does-briginshaw-vs-bringshaw-affect-the-balance-of-probabilities/

What's most likely to happen is the appeals drags on for another two years, until newly appointed Melbourne coach simon Goodwin is revealed as the mastermind of it all.

Probably. ASADA has invested so much time and effort in this that there would be questions asked if they didn't pursue it as far as they can. It sucks (and the CAS may well be an open court so it might be in the media even more than before), but that's the way these things go I guess.

EvilElmo
May 10, 2009

I am glad the players got off, because they were not at fault at all,

Wut.

Yes they were. They're responsible for their own bodies. 'My father made me do it' doesn't fly for a 16 year old Olympic gymnast, why would it fly for a 20+ footballer?

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

EvilElmo posted:

Wut.

Yes they were. They're responsible for their own bodies. 'My father made me do it' doesn't fly for a 16 year old Olympic gymnast, why would it fly for a 20+ footballer?

From everything we know the club doctors and sports scientists straight up lied to the players. It is not reasonable to expect every member of a 45 person squad to have enough knowledge in chemistry to audit their clubs supplements program.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

EvilElmo posted:

Wut.

That is one of the problems with the WADA code in that it is tailored for individual athletes but not really designed for team sports like the AFL. An AFL player is never going to question what is given to them because they are told from the day they're drafted to trust in the coaching and medical staff.

EvilElmo
May 10, 2009

From everything we know the club doctors and sports scientists straight up lied to the players. It is not reasonable to expect every member of a 45 person squad to have enough knowledge in chemistry to audit their clubs supplements program.

They're still responsible for everything that goes in to their body. The outcome of this case will further cement the idea that it's better not to ask and just accept whatever poo poo the club tells them to take. If they were found guilty, suddenly every player would want evidence that what they were being given was legit.

Players knew this was dodgy. They would have noticed it was always done away from the usual location, being told not to tell the doctors about it (or anyone) etc.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

What if, God forbid, they were actually just given AOD and thymomodulin like Dank said they were?

That would make his continued insistence that Thymosin beta 4 was not a banned substance quite odd.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Have you ever heard of "willful blindness"?

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Won't someone think of the real victims, the stand in players?

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
Deregister Essendon, let all the players off and start the loving season.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

That would make his continued insistence that Thymosin beta 4 was not a banned substance quite odd.

It would, and I'm not entirely certain one way or another what happened. But in the absence of a smoking gun indicating drug use, I'm happy to see the players get let off and all the hacks who invested so much emotion and energy into a guilty verdict have a big sook about it.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Diet Crack posted:

Won't someone think of the real victims, the stand in players?

Based on the tweets they actually seem pretty happy about it. So did the selection of other AFL players who commented. It's only some fans and the Fairfax pundits that seem upset.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Lid posted:

Have you ever heard of "willful blindness"?

The WADA code is designed for individual sports where athletes have large degrees of control over the appointment and dismissal of support staff. Anti doping officials have gone on record as saying it does not deal well with team situations such as this, because that control does not exist.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
Also James Hird is objectively the most grossly incompetent and negligent coach in the history of the AFL and the club won't sack him because they're a pack of cult mentality morons

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Chin up Tiger, There is always next season...
This is a pretty loving poor result for player welfare.

EvilElmo
May 10, 2009

It would, and I'm not entirely certain one way or another what happened. But in the absence of a smoking gun indicating drug use, I'm happy to see the players get let off and all the hacks who invested so much emotion and energy into a guilty verdict have a big sook about it.

You know the judgement is really that they used drugs they just can't say which players used it so it's not guilty... right? Or do you actually think they're innocent and didn't take any drugs?

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.
Well, I'm pretty loving happy. Maybe now the biggest worry I can have as a supporter is what goes on on field. Like it should be. Pending ASADA appeals of course.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

EvilElmo posted:

You know the judgement is really that they used drugs they just can't say which players used it so it's not guilty... right? Or do you actually think they're innocent and didn't take any drugs?

Umm yeah :confused:
That is the entire point, they can't tell what it was (and therefor if it was banned or not) so the players are found innocent.

Congratulations on working out how courts work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Umm yeah :confused:
That is the entire point, they can't tell what it was (and therefor if it was banned or not) so the players are found innocent.

Congratulations on working out how courts work.

He's not asking what the tribunal verdict was, he is asking whether you, gaypicnicdefence, believe the players were administered prohibited substances or not

• Locked thread