Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Generic Monk posted:

3) the default video player offers to download codecs for files it can't play. that's great, except they don't seem to work. had to copy a paragraph long list of packages into the terminal to get videos to play.

we've been trying to fix this one for years. the issue is that one of fedora's principles is "freedom first" so we can't install all the codecs by default and instead have to shove them off to some other repo called "rpmfusion" which is supposedly only vaguely related to fedora for legal reasons (but in reality is also manned by red hat employees on fedora infrastructure)

dumb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
the inability to fix stuff like this and put some slight amount of nonfree software in the app store is one of the major reasons i left red hat. there's only so much you can do to make the experience suck less when ramming straight into a brick wall every time

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
it's really not red hat's fault

redistributing codecs is hard

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

fedora, ubuntu, and gnome seem really focused on a user who doesn't exist. the hypothetical casual user getting email or something. idk

yes we do

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

it's really not red hat's fault

redistributing codecs is hard

endless does it perfectly fine

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Suspicious Dish posted:

do they even operate in the united states?

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Suspicious Dish posted:

are they actually shipping a software H.264 implementation or just using the hardware encoder/decoder on whatever chip is in the device?

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

The_Franz posted:

are they actually shipping a software H.264 implementation or just using the hardware encoder/decoder on whatever chip is in the device?

Both. We ship OpenH264 for Cisco's licensing, and a hardware implementation of H264 for our ARM product. The real big thing is AAC support which is software-only.

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

do they even operate in the united states?

You will find out super soon.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

what about the MPEG4 container?

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
demux is software, on ARM there's a simple esparser module which feeds directly into the hw video decoder. i'm currently in the middle of writing the drivers for it so i can talk a bit about the implementation if you want.

pram
Jun 10, 2001
getting dangerously close to summoning pagancow

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

pseudorandom name posted:

what about the MPEG4 container?

is this seriously a loving patented thing jfc

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
http://www.google.com/patents/US6080436

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
so the thing is that all you have to worry about is the pooled patents: mpeg la and via licensing. basically, as soon as you get to be a decent size without paying, they'll go after you.

mpeg4 isn't covered by a patent pool, so you're fine & good

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
how do you handle mp3 and aac?

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

2017, year of linux mp3 on the desktop

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

very carefully

Captain Pike
Jul 29, 2003

Everything about this picture is ugly and amateurish. Can't you guys just hire a "theme maker" kid from DeviantArt for a summer?

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Captain Pike posted:

Everything about this picture is ugly and amateurish. Can't you guys just hire a "theme maker" kid from DeviantArt for a summer?

it's an advanced settings dialogue no normal user will ever see

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!
Linux: choose 1. Looks decent 2. Functional as a desktop computer.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

ZShakespeare posted:

Linux: choose 1. Looks decent 2. Functional as a desktop computer.

weirdly enough, Windows doesn't satisfy either of these anymore

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug

Captain Pike posted:

Can't you guys just hire a "theme maker" kid from DeviantArt for a summer?

that pretty much what they did with kde 5

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!

pseudorandom name posted:

weirdly enough, Windows doesn't satisfy either of these anymore

It's full of lols

Windows is actually pretty attractive, and 10 fixes p much all my UX gripes about win8.

I'll probably update my gaming PC from win7 because it's free.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

in software? what do you want to know

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Suspicious Dish posted:

in software? what do you want to know

how do you straighten out the licensing for distributing the software

i thought both were patent-encumbered

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug
starting version 219

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

how do you straighten out the licensing for distributing the software

i thought both were patent-encumbered

IIRC mp3 is clear as of September of this year, for decoding.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
i am planning to switch my web server vps from ubuntu server, which it's been running since 2013, to centos, and upgrade it from 256mb to 512mb of ram. i'm also planning to switch from apache to nginx

what do i need to know about ubuntu -> centos other than my old os was a pos (moospos)

pram
Jun 10, 2001
ubuntu is upstart. centos 7 is systemd. you use yum instead of apt. all the configs will be in conf.d instead of sites-enabled. you will need to use php-fpm because whatever horrible php garbage you are presumably hosting will no longer have mod_php. also stop posting and gtfo

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

atomicthumbs posted:

i am planning to switch my web server vps from ubuntu server, which it's been running since 2013, to centos, and upgrade it from 256mb to 512mb of ram. i'm also planning to switch from apache to nginx

what do i need to know about ubuntu -> centos other than my old os was a pos (moospos)

first thing you do: configure yum-updatesd (centos 6) or yum-cron + cron (centos 7)

second thing you do: install a configuration management framework. learn to use puppet or chef. don't configure anything by hand. (other than the updates, which is so critical it can't wait for your learning curve.)

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

first thing you do: configure yum-updatesd (centos 6) or yum-cron + cron (centos 7)

second thing you do: install a configuration management framework. learn to use puppet or chef. don't configure anything by hand. (other than the updates, which is so critical it can't wait for your learning curve.)

you are mentally retarded lol. duhh install puppet on your one vm

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

pram posted:

you are mentally retarded lol. duhh install puppet on your one vm

yes, definitely install puppet/chef on your one VM. they have local modes for specifically that purpose.

the code you write to configure one VM is portable to 100 VMs, if you need that in the future. and even if you never need that, having the configuration version-controlled and written in a high-level language is invaluable

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
if you think it is even remotely reasonable to hand-configure a server in tyool 2015 you need to get the gently caress out of the industry

pram
Jun 10, 2001
ahaha you are so dumb. how much memory will activemq and passenger take up on a 512mb box. if anything he should use ansible

pram
Jun 10, 2001
do you have cm on your desktop linux box dipshit

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

this all seems overly complicated for something hosting a mostly static website with my photos on it and an irssi instance. maybe i'll just use debain

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

or: i'll configure it by hand because it's worked fine for years and i have no need to deploy my portfolio to a hundred load-balancing aws instances

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

pram posted:

do you have cm on your desktop linux box dipshit

do you not?

pram
Jun 10, 2001
i use an advanced unix

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU