Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

A lot of these bugs are pretty awful, but I was actually able to get through the entire game without reverting a save or crashing to desktop. In 2015 I consider that a successful release.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

apple orchard of dreams
Jun 18, 2001

Ramadu posted:

Have they patched in windowed fullscreen and made the caged cursor work yet? Please based Obsidian give me this one desire

Out of all the bugs, this one makes the game unplayable for me.

sizuka2
Mar 19, 2012
Lurking. Always lurking.

User0015 posted:

I have 13 Might/16 Con/19 Dex/10 Per/8 Int/11 Resolve, fists equipped, Swift Strikes and Torment's Reach. Things like Shadows and Skuldr's murder him, and his damage rolls are around 2-8 damage per swing.

Two ways to make monks live longer: wear heavy armor, or let the tank open the ball. Or both. Fists are fine, though dual hatchets/spears aren't a bad choice (you really do want weapon focus peasant if you plan to go unarmed later), and the free deflection/accuracy is particularly nice at the start.

Otherwise, you really want that prone option over Torment's Reach. Best way I've found of having a Monk tank is to spam their single-target disables, which are centered on Force of Anguish and Stunning Blows. There's a fun lategame option that involve running into a crowd after you get Rooting Pain [and for extra fun, Flagellant's Path], getting mostly killed and returning about as much damage to each enemy with RP, and then bouncing enemies around with FoA and teleporting every which way with FP while the wounds last. It's pretty funny to break engages by punting someone ten meters to land prone for 15 seconds, teleport to him (damaging everyone along the way). Repeat punting/teleport if you're not there yet. Arrive at enemy back line. Murder.

(Seriously, skip Torment's Reach. RP for AoE, or go Barbarian. No real disables (frightened/terrified are nice accuracy debuffs), but AoE comes free with every attack, and the ability to autotarget the lower of deflection and fortitude can be really nice.)

DeepQantas
Jan 13, 2008

Ah, to be a Hero... Keeping such company...
Protip:
If you cancel arquebus/crossbow/whatevs reload animation, it'll continue where it left off instead of making your dude start all over again.

So feel free to kite.

sizuka2
Mar 19, 2012
Lurking. Always lurking.

DeepQantas posted:

Protip:
If you cancel arquebus/crossbow/whatevs reload animation, it'll continue where it left off instead of making your dude start all over again.

So feel free to kite.

... huh. What's Shot on the Run do, then? Utility talent that claims it reduces the movement penalty to reloading.

apple orchard of dreams posted:

Out of all the bugs, this one makes the game unplayable for me.

Alt-tab out and back in. Temp fix, but quick.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Airfoil posted:

The cage cursor thing is fixed in the upcoming patch.

1 for 2 isn't bad.

Airfoil
Sep 10, 2013

I'm a rocket man

sizuka2 posted:

Alt-tab out and back in. Temp fix, but quick.

This. It's been a problem since several beta revs back. Guess I'm just used to it at this point.

Annoying, but not a huge deal.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

VDay posted:

And suddenly arbalests make a lot more sense.

Also is there an official list of stuff you guys have fixed in this upcoming patch? I want to make sure the thing where my Defiance Bay copperlane district looks like this:

is known and possibly fixed, or if I should get a proper bug report together to submit.
Please submit that one. I haven't seen it before.

DeepQantas
Jan 13, 2008

Ah, to be a Hero... Keeping such company...

sizuka2 posted:

... huh. What's Shot on the Run do, then? Utility talent that claims it reduces the movement penalty to reloading.
Probably lets you reload at full speed even while running. Rather than at... well... whatever 10%ish speed they reload while running without the talent, I guess.

Wait, are you sure it's removing reload penalty and not recovery penalty?

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
So, higher level Cipher spells: (basically, 4th level) Mind Lance, Silent Scream, Pain Block, and Body Attunement all seem incredibly good, with Body Attunement only going in there because I'm running a melee Cipher. Any thoughts on practical use for any of them? Especially Silent Scream vs Mind Lance, since I'll only need one (I think). On the other hand, if they're not really worth using over Mind Blades, I might as well go Pain Block and Body Attunement and keep spamming Mind Blades instead.

5th level I'm planning on picking up Borrowed Instinct and then...?
6th will be Amplified Wave and ?

Any higher level stand-out spells like Mental Binding and Mind Blades are?

derra
Dec 29, 2012

Jimbot posted:

What's a good strategy against Shadows and what damages them? For some reason they all like to warp to Aloth and kill him even if I have him in the background picking his nose and had Eder attack them for a while before having the mages attack.

As it is right now I have my companions attack them and they do piddy damage while they barely ever hit Eder before they warp behind him and chew up my mages. It's very frustrating and boring.

They have 8 DR to weapon attacks, less to fire. Have Eder run forward and aggro them, using fire spells if you have a good shot. When they teleport on you, surround and murder them, particularly with 2h weapons. Targeting fort or will is better than reflex.

Basically, if you ran your nontank into the middle of an enemy group they would drop instantly. These Shadows set themselves up for it. Punish them.

derra fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Mar 31, 2015

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Argh, trapped by CTD bug. Wonder if I should wait for a patch, or just restart. I made some bad choices anyway.

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005
I basically followed their recommended advise for builds and I have a Flamegod Paladin. Is it just me or does that flame passive thing that kicks in at 50% fatigue suck rear end? Half the time it only does like .5 damage or 2-3 damage per proc and since he's tank man Paladin he's usually topped off. His damage is also probably the worst in my group but on the bright side, he never ever dies.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Ravenfood posted:

So, higher level Cipher spells: (basically, 4th level) Mind Lance, Silent Scream, Pain Block, and Body Attunement all seem incredibly good, with Body Attunement only going in there because I'm running a melee Cipher. Any thoughts on practical use for any of them? Especially Silent Scream vs Mind Lance, since I'll only need one (I think). On the other hand, if they're not really worth using over Mind Blades, I might as well go Pain Block and Body Attunement and keep spamming Mind Blades instead.

5th level I'm planning on picking up Borrowed Instinct and then...?
6th will be Amplified Wave and ?

Any higher level stand-out spells like Mental Binding and Mind Blades are?

Mind Lance will wreck a battle line. Once everything is positioned on your tanks, move your cipher to the side and start chain casting it into their ranks. They'll crumble to nothing.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Body Attunement is good for punching through high-DR targets. It's worth picking up.

Viral Warfare
Aug 4, 2010

~~a n d I a m c a l m~~

rope kid posted:

It turns out it was a Perforce/Unity hiccup. Damage values should be fixed for this patch or the next (base 22-32).

No...

Ohmygodsquad
Dec 14, 2005
Any use for various hides aside from selling them?

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I haven't started playing yet. So, I always play video games with my main character being a leader tank character with sword and shield. Should I go paladin or am I missing some crucial aspect of tanking that comes with being a fighter?

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

The 'blest is no longer blessed with being the best :ohdear:

RIP, cranky crossbow.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
So what else is confirmed for the patch?

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Where are some good named weapons? Specifically looking for an Arquebus for Durance, but I would also like to find a second named blunderbuss or possibly a faster crossbow for Grieving Mother, and a good one-hander for Eder that I can start enchanting.

I also heard there was a named greatsword in (Defiance Bay quest)Searing Bay, in the cave where you fight Cael the Silent, but I don't see it. I've spent five minutes dragging my crew around in Scouting mode, and no secret stash.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

WHAT A GOOD DOG posted:

I haven't started playing yet. So, I always play video games with my main character being a leader tank character with sword and shield. Should I go paladin or am I missing some crucial aspect of tanking that comes with being a fighter?

Well fighter does have that Defender mod and they get pretty drat useful defensive class options down the line. If you want a straight up tank go with Fighter

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
It's there any word on fixing the massive frost chant save files? I've had to stop playing my file. :(

WHAT A GOOD DOG posted:

Fighters get a super important tanking ability, but you'll get a fighter friend early on who's built to be an amazing tank.

Ohmygodsquad
Dec 14, 2005

WHAT A GOOD DOG posted:

The only problem with a paladin tank is they can only have 2 engagements at a time with a talent. Fighters can get up to 5 I think. But if you're using Eder as well you shouldn't have a problem.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

rope kid posted:

Please submit that one. I haven't seen it before.
drat, was hoping it was known/fixed. Will do.

WHAT A GOOD DOG posted:

Fighters are the best pure tanks and get bonuses to engagement targets (ie: they can soak up more aggro) as well as having some really good bonuses to their defenses. Paladins are slightly less tanky, but get some nice support abilities to make up for it. Pick whichever you want, but fwiw you get a fighter companion very early and the paladin companion is a bit underwhelming by comparison.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Anyone else with huge Loading Save Games times on Steam?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

frajaq posted:

Several people are thinking it's an issue with item flags and objects not being reset after each battle, along with some other stuff. The game is having to keep track of lots more stuff than it should.

It'll probably get patched out if it's that reason why.

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

frajaq posted:

Have you been using Kana's frost trap chant?

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
edit: ^ that chant

long loading times is apparently caused by a chant that leaves traps everywhere or so i read at the official forums.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

The Crotch posted:

Is that what causes it? Hopefully it's not too permanent. I'll never use it again anyway, it's a pretty lovely chant.

sizuka2
Mar 19, 2012
Lurking. Always lurking.

DeepQantas posted:

Probably lets you reload at full speed even while running. Rather than at... well... whatever 10%ish speed they reload while running without the talent, I guess.

Wait, are you sure it's removing reload penalty and not recovery penalty?

No, I'm not sure. That's the description, though. "+25% ranged recovery when moving", which kind of implies that you keep reloading even when running away?

In practice, it looks like the character waits until the delay is out, then waits for you to stop moving and then plays the reload animation. Current working theory is that shooting causes a penalty, moving adds to that penalty or makes it decline slower, and shot on the run reduces or removes the moving malus.

Also, it turns out that +3 to move speed (monk long strides + utility fast runner) is more than enough to outrun enemies until they leash back to their area: plinking enemies to death is once more an option. (eyeballing it that base move speed is ~3, since move speed out of combat at double speed looks about the same as move speed in combat with those bonuses active).

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
Is there a mod or difficulty that makes the combat faster and less tedious in this game? It's a decent game and all but it feels like combat lasts forever and isn't remotely fun since it's literally just sitting there waiting for autoattacks and maybe hitting a couple of per-combat attacks if I feel the need.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Shima Honnou posted:

Is there a mod or difficulty that makes the combat faster and less tedious in this game? It's a decent game and all but it feels like combat lasts forever and isn't remotely fun since it's literally just sitting there waiting for autoattacks and maybe hitting a couple of per-combat attacks if I feel the need.

Hit 'D' to speed up combat.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

We need a super-fast mode that runs at 16x speed

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

The Crotch posted:

I never used this since my Kana doesn't have it :(

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Shima Honnou posted:

I almost always have something to do in battle so I'm not entirely sure what you mean. Sounds like it just might not be your kind of game.

rizuhbull
Mar 30, 2011

Is this a good game to get into this style of game? I've heard great things of Baldur's Gate 2 but controlling a party instead of just one character turns me off.

I also love/hate when games give me a way to speed up animations and battles. I can't not do it everytime. drat you, Front Mission series!

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!
Is there a reason why dual wielding fast weapons is better for a rogue than one two-hander? The pike seems like a potentially good rogue weapon because it does almost the same Full Attack damage as two stilettos, but has increased range so keeping out of engagement and flanking enemies is easier.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!

Flagrant Abuse posted:

Just beat the game, entire thing owns, thank you Obsidian for making this and also for putting a 32x fast-forward button on the credits so I don't have to watch 77000 backer names slowly crawl by.

Is everyone in there, or only people who hit a certain tier?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

idonotlikepeas posted:

Is everyone in there, or only people who hit a certain tier?

It had to be everyone. It took a long time to scroll through, even at 32x.

• Locked thread