Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
One of the more popular theories posted by actual devs is that they all became part of Numidium. It was just rushed because the Chimer were about to smash the door down, and it wasn't ready for its intended purpose, to turn all the Dwemer into a single new God. Which is why, with a proper power source, the Numidium is capable of doing some real crazy poo poo, but not actual divinity.

All that's really known is they were there, Kagrenac did some cutting and smashing of the Heart of Lorkhan with Keening and Sunder, and then they all vanished, beyond even the knowledge of the Tribunal after they became gods.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Friendly Factory
Apr 19, 2007

I can't stand the wailing of women
Friendly Factory fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Jun 4, 2018

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Friendly Factory posted:

I'll be very upset if a future ES game isn't about their return. That would be great.

The mystery of the Dwemer is one of the coolest things about TES lore and bringing them back would bogart it up in a uniquely terrible way :colbert:

Also remember that there exists an Actual Dwarf who was one of Kagrenac's direct underlings who has no loving idea what happened, even with access to Kagrenac's notes, various theoretical texts on the subject, and a chance to play around with Wraithguard for a day.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Friendly Factory posted:

I'll be very upset if a future ES game isn't about their return. That would be great.
That would be unbelievably stupid. What makes the Dwemer's disappearance cool is that it's an unexplained mystery. Similarly, what makes the Dwemer interesting is that all you have are old stories, myths and legends about them.
Explaining their disappearance and/or having them show up and be intractable would completely ruin their mystique.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
The Dwemer turned into mudcrabs.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Raygereio posted:

Explaining their disappearance and/or having them show up and be intractable would completely ruin their mystique.

the fact theyre disappeared and gone in the first place is pretty much the only interesting thing about them

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

Excuse you they are Mesopotamian engineer elves who live underground and build giant robots, come over here and say they aren't interesting to my face :colbert:

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

yeah say that to my face not online see wot comes about m80

Unbelievably Fat Man
Jun 1, 2000

Innocent people. I could never hurt innocent people.

If the dwemer return I would hope that there's different groups that claim different things happened to them, even to the point where there are several Kagrenacs with completely different interpretations.

The fact that just about everything in TES lore is up to interpretation and the writer's perspective on whatever historical or mythological events is what I love about it. The lore for so many other settings is just cut and dry. This is the mythology and it's literally true. Boring as hell.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Friendly Factory posted:

Awful idea even by game story standards.

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

:gowron::m10:

Unbelievably Fat Man posted:

If the dwemer return I would hope that there's different groups that claim different things happened to them, even to the point where there are several Kagrenacs with completely different interpretations.

The fact that just about everything in TES lore is up to interpretation and the writer's perspective on whatever historical or mythological events is what I love about it. The lore for so many other settings is just cut and dry. This is the mythology and it's literally true. Boring as hell.

The downside to this is that it's how people defend ESO being terrible. Any claims of "that's definitely a lovely re-write of established lore" can be deflected with "umm, that was just one person's interpretation of events :)" Nevermind that it's just wholesale replacing established events with much worse writing, gently caress it, if it has the Elder Scrolls name on it people will do Icarian Flight levels of acrobatics to justify how it's actually good.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Heavy Lobster posted:

if it has the Elder Scrolls name on it people will do Icarian Flight levels of acrobatics to justify how it's actually good.

I love this line.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

i forgot they looked like assyrians yeah thats pretty cool and different

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

ESO has a few merits, especially now that it's B2P, if you like TES and MMO gameplay it's worth a look. But if you want Skyrim Online or a truly deep TES game like Morrowind you will be very disappointed.

Even compared to Oblivion there is less world building per area. It's like the typical development of one province in the main series spread over the entirety of Tamriel. To quote a line from LotR, like butter over too much bread.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Sky Shadowing posted:

One of the more popular theories posted by actual devs is that they all became part of Numidium. It was just rushed because the Chimer were about to smash the door down, and it wasn't ready for its intended purpose, to turn all the Dwemer into a single new God. Which is why, with a proper power source, the Numidium is capable of doing some real crazy poo poo, but not actual divinity.

One theory is that they're still out there. Some description of that battle have the Numidium wrecking poo poo before the Tribunal render it inactive - the version Tiber Septim uses to conquer the high elves is a pale shadow of it.

Except for one thing - the elves had :krad: sounding mages called mirror logicians trying to repel the invasion. And they're still fighting - in the Summerset Isles, they can still be seen phasing in and out of time and breaking your mind if you stare at them too long. The theory goes that Numidium's timeline diverged in the battle. Its physical form, aka Tiber Septim's giant robot, crashed back down as wreckage. But Walk-Brass - the god the Dwemer built/became - is far more than a piece of metal. With no Tribunal to deactivate it, it's still trapped in time, fighting the Altmer and trying to come back to the real.

Strategic Tea fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Mar 31, 2015

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

Sky Shadowing posted:

ESO has a few merits, especially now that it's B2P, if you like TES and MMO gameplay it's worth a look. But if you want Skyrim Online or a truly deep TES game like Morrowind you will be very disappointed.

Even compared to Oblivion there is less world building per area. It's like the typical development of one province in the main series spread over the entirety of Tamriel. To quote a line from LotR, like butter over too much bread.

The B2P aspect would be nice if it weren't a full sixty dollar game now that they were trying to get people to pay 15 bucks for on Steam about a month before the halfassed reboot.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Strategic Tea posted:

Except for one thing - the elves had :krad: sounding mages called mirror logicians trying to repel the invasion. And they're still fighting - in the Summerset Isles, they can still be seen phasing in and out of time and breaking your mind if you stare at them too long.

This is the kind of thing that I really wish came from somewhere more canonical than "Kirkbride just posting stuff he thought up."

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

GrumpyDoctor posted:

This is the kind of thing that I really wish came from somewhere more canonical than "Kirkbride just posting stuff he thought up."

Where do you think lore comes from?

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Shab posted:

People that actually know how to write.

I do like the idea of a giant robot killing elves endlessly. Mostly because elves are awful.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Shab posted:

Let me rephrase: This is the kind of thing I wish had more canonical justification than some posts on a message board. As in, a presence in the games. At all.

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

I love Elder Scrolls lore, except for all that dumb apocrypha hoo-ha. I'll take some epic dragon fights over some posts about some dumb nerd's magical phenomena any day. It's in the game!

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

So, I wanted to post some deepest lore for you guys today. You know how in Skyrim, "Dovahkiin" means "Dragonborn"? Well, did you ever notice that "dovah" has some of the letters from dragon in it? And that "kiin" sounds like "kin," which is a word for our relatives, which I might remind you are.... born? Pretty shocking I know, and I think it really sheds a lot of light on how language may have developed, in the Elder Scrolls setting.

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT SPHERICAL CATS
=3

drat thats deep dude, Have I told you about the spalling characteristics of orcish armor?

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Heavy Lobster posted:

I love Elder Scrolls lore, except for all that dumb apocrypha hoo-ha. I'll take some epic dragon fights over some posts about some dumb nerd's magical phenomena any day. It's in the game!

i generally disagree with you in the case of the elder scrolls but yes coda is way way too much

you can only pull so many rugs out from under the false reality and coda totally lacks any form of ballast

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

What's the lore explanation for why there isn't a single Dwemer settlement in Cyrodiil?

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
As far as I know it's the same reason there's no Aztec ruins in Russia. They just didn't live there.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Sky Shadowing posted:

All that's really known is they were there, Kagrenac did some cutting and smashing of the Heart of Lorkhan with Keening and Sunder, and then they all vanished, beyond even the knowledge of the Tribunal after they became gods.

My main mer baladas demnananmanavi gives a wordy rear end explanation for what happened to the dwemer, and there's that quest where you "solve" it for the mages guild. They're both pretty incomprehensible though.

Friendly Factory
Apr 19, 2007

I can't stand the wailing of women
Friendly Factory fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Jun 4, 2018

Mecheon
Nov 27, 2007

And that was when Ecco realised the world just fucking hates dolphins.

axolotl farmer posted:

What's the lore explanation for why there isn't a single Dwemer settlement in Cyrodiil?

Morrowind just seemed to be the Dwemer's main place up until they accidental vanished themselves

Isn't Hammerfall named because a bunch of Dwemer basically thought the current leadership could go shove it and they decided to make a settlement out in the west? By throwing a hammer and going wherever it landed? I've always taken that to mean that the Dwemer mostly lived in one place (Probably Morrowind), and went from there to colonise other places.

Plus I guess the Ayelids were supposed to the mystical ancient Elven race with all the mysterious ruins but, well, they didn't really have the same impact as the Dwemer

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

What about Blackreach? The scale of that place seems to suggest that the site was important to the Dwemer somehow; maybe it was their capital in Skyrim, or maybe simply a large mine. The giant fungi seems to be a feature of Falmer infestation, not Dwemer architecture.

Markarth (or Nchuand-Zel, if you like) is strange as well, since it's weirdly above-ground for a Dwemer city.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

I remember in Morrowind they say that Dwarven ruins can be found everywhere in Thamriel.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

There are two main Dwemer regions. The main one Morrowind- most specifically Vvardenfell, "City of the Strong Shield", where they were just sort of hanging out until all of a sudden these cousins called the Chimer turned up on their doorstep with their Daedra gods and such, and they and the Dwemer just didn't get along because the Dwemer were atheistic and the Chimer considered that loving nuts. Which, to be fair, in a world where gods are proven real, but absolutely none moreso than the Daedra, is a pretty reasonable mindset. So after a long period of war and such, all of a sudden these assholes called the Nords invade, and the Chimer and Dwemer put their differences aside to ally and drive them out.

During that war the two kings, Indoril Nerevar and Dumac, become great friends. Once the war is won they remain committed to peace, which pisses off a lot of people, most specifically Nerevar's advisors, Sotha Sil, Vivec, his Queen, Almalexia, and his best friend, Voryn Dagoth, AKA Dagoth Ur. On the other side House Rourken of the Dwemer basically says 'gently caress this peace, we're out' and throw a hammer into the sky and say 'we'll live wherever the gently caress that lands', which happens to be a great big desert on the far side of the Continent. They make a capital and name it Volenfell, "City of the Hammer", which later gets turned to Hammerfell.

So basically during this peace Kagrenac is continuing in secret with the construction of the Numidium, and Dagoth Ur finds out about this. He immediately tells Nerevar, who confirms it with Azura, who orders them to stop it. He goes to talk to Dumac, but Dumac doesn't know anything and takes offense to Nerevar basically accusing him of betrayal, and their friendship ends because both believe the other to be lying. So outbreaks the War of the First Council, where Nerevar, Dagoth Ur, and a few other people sneak into the Heart Chamber, where Dumac is pissed as poo poo at Kagrenac for keeping him in the dark because now he knows he's the loving rear end in a top hat, but things have gone too far to back down now.

During that, Dumac dies, Nerevar dies, Dagoth Ur gets badly wounded and uses magic on the Heart to sustain himself, the Tribunal become gods, the Chimer become Dunmer, and the Dwemer vanish, even those assholes who hosed off to Hammerfell.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Did the Dwemer just stop a few time to colonize Skyrim on their way to Hammerfell, or did that happen later?

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

So what about the dwemer in Elsveyr?

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Dwemer were a scientific and industrial race, they kind of just expanded and lived wherever they wanted. If I remember correctly though, Skyrim was one of their main digs. Then the Nords showed up and went all manifest destiny on the dwarves. After years of war, dwarves either went underground or left for the mountains/Morrowind.

As for Elsweyr, if you studied magic as just another science, wouldn't you want to hang out with and study a race where the moon decides what form they will be. Ranging from giant horse-cats to house cats that wield magic?

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Friendly Factory posted:

I never said bringing the Dwemer back meant their disappearance would be explained. They come back but don't know where they were. Then you can change their demeanor or something; don't make them monsters, but make it obvious that they've been corrupted by the disappearance. Maybe make some side factions about piecing together what happened only to discover it's unknowable. I would love that game.

Could have each faction come to a different, mutually incompatible explanation that they stick to rigorously. :allears:

TresTristesTigres
Feb 14, 2013

Posts from UnDeR9R0Und

Strategic Tea posted:

One theory is that they're still out there. Some description of that battle have the Numidium wrecking poo poo before the Tribunal render it inactive - the version Tiber Septim uses to conquer the high elves is a pale shadow of it.

Except for one thing - the elves had :krad: sounding mages called mirror logicians trying to repel the invasion. And they're still fighting - in the Summerset Isles, they can still be seen phasing in and out of time and breaking your mind if you stare at them too long. The theory goes that Numidium's timeline diverged in the battle. Its physical form, aka Tiber Septim's giant robot, crashed back down as wreckage. But Walk-Brass - the god the Dwemer built/became - is far more than a piece of metal. With no Tribunal to deactivate it, it's still trapped in time, fighting the Altmer and trying to come back to the real.

If anyone finds this interesting here is a good thing to read

http://tomorrowindtoday.com/t/the-numidiad1.pdf

I love all this poo poo.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Man I will never not consider the Volenfell origin story to be hilarious. Literally throwing a loving warhammer (Malacath's eventual symboli warhammer specifically) into the air and following it and settling down there. That's something you'd expect from the loving Nords man.

Also, wasn't Dumac called Dumac Dwarf-King or something like that? Kinda odd considering that the Dwemer were not in fact short, and were about the same height as the Chimer/Dunmer.

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

Scyantific posted:

Man I will never not consider the Volenfell origin story to be hilarious. Literally throwing a loving warhammer (Malacath's eventual symboli warhammer specifically) into the air and following it and settling down there. That's something you'd expect from the loving Nords man.

Also, wasn't Dumac called Dumac Dwarf-King or something like that? Kinda odd considering that the Dwemer were not in fact short, and were about the same height as the Chimer/Dunmer.

The back-explanation for the Dwemer being named dwarves was that some previous Tamrielic race of giants found them first and called them dwarves because they were tiny in comparison, and the name stuck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008

TresTristesTigres posted:

If anyone finds this interesting here is a good thing to read

http://tomorrowindtoday.com/t/the-numidiad1.pdf

I love all this poo poo.

the Khajiit have left Nirn. They climbed to the moons again
and live there in paradise. This must be true, for a third moon has
appeared in the sky, and our lens crafters have been able to magnify it,
and the moon appears to be a mass of glistening cat fur.

I really hope this is the eventual result of the Aldmeri doomsday plan.