Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Drifter posted:

I only see an option for one bundle. What are you talking about?

There's two versions, the one actually called "Scholars of the First Sin," and the one that's a bundle by the same name on the non-SotFS Dark Souls II page. It's confusing as gently caress if you're not expecting it.

Speaking of Dark Souls II, are there any US buyers with the full 40% discount you get for owning the whole season pass? The upgrade is arbitrarily 50% more expensive in the UK. :(

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Apr 1, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Well the store page does say that

quote:

Gamers are in for a big surprise in DARK SOULS II: Scholar of the First Sin

like a swift kick in the nuts

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug

Freak Futanari posted:

The DX11 one is the standalone, right? The other one is the one that's listed as a DLC bundle on the original DS2 page?

DX 9 Bundle:
http://store.steampowered.com/app/236430/

DX 11 Standalone:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/335300/

International Pricing is broken atm, US is fine with the discount.

theultimo fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Apr 1, 2015

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

theultimo posted:

International Pricing is broken atm

No, it's that way on purpose. The discount is applying fine (at least in the UK) but the base price is £20 instead of $20 for the upgrade.

Also, :laffo: at the DX9 version being priced the same as the new DX11 version, considering it won't be getting support going forward and the multiplayer is going to be completely dead now.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

StabMasterArson posted:

I convinced my friend to get Skylines and he played it for like an hour and hasn't touched it since :( I think he likes citybuilders he just mentioned that it was way more confusing than Simcity

I have bad news. Your friend might be a console gamer

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
Wow that DS2 bundle is some scummy poo poo, why would they give it the same name :psyduck:

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

theultimo posted:

DX 9 Bundle:
http://store.steampowered.com/app/236430/

DX 11 Standalone:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/335300/

International Pricing is broken atm, US is fine with the discount.

Incompatible saves for the updated version :qq:

Welp, I guess I'm starting all over again. Jumping straight into the DLC content on NG++ would probably have been super painful anyway.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
That Dark Souls is some real scummy rear end poo poo. I guess From just want to chuck all that nerd goodwill away, aye?

Downs Duck
Nov 19, 2005
"It's only after we've lost everything that we're free do to anything"
Here's a revolutionary idea: How about simply patching/updating the game that people already bought, for free? Then sell separately or include some package for those that want the Sins of the First Scholar/the DLC.

What a scummy mess that poo poo is.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW
I thought it was scummy when they announced they were selling a graphics upgrade as a whole new stand alone edition, this is really balls out

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Accordion Man posted:

That Dark Souls is some real scummy rear end poo poo. I guess From just want to chuck all that nerd goodwill away, aye?

No, that's just Bandai Namco for you.

mr. nobody
Sep 25, 2004

Net contents 12 fluid oz.

Arnold of Soissons posted:

I thought it was scummy when they announced they were selling a graphics upgrade as a whole new stand alone edition, this is really balls out

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS
Okay, so I should upgrade to the... Wait, what?

Okay, so, wait until summer sale for the DS2 Scholar upgrade and I'll have the 64bit edition, yeah?

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

i dont get the issue (aside from them not just making the graphical poo poo a free update). at the top of the ds2 page in a bright orange box it says if you want the updated one to go to the provided link

The Monarch
Jul 8, 2006

Is it even a graphics upgrade on the PC version? I looked at the screenshots and it looks identical to what I remember. That was a few months ago.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

I think the textures look slightly better in the DX11 version.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Don't forget the graphics upgrade is to make it look like the game they were advertising right up until release.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Metro 2033 or whatever did, and no one shoved a pickle up their rear end in a top hat.

RhoA
Jul 20, 2014

Jamfrost posted:

Okay, so I should upgrade to the... Wait, what?

Okay, so, wait until summer sale for the DS2 Scholar upgrade and I'll have the 64bit edition, yeah?

Yeah, it'll upgrade it to the DirectX11 version and you get all the DLC as well.

mr. nobody
Sep 25, 2004

Net contents 12 fluid oz.

Awesome! posted:

i dont get the issue (aside from them not just making the graphical poo poo a free update). at the top of the ds2 page in a bright orange box it says if you want the updated one to go to the provided link

Does this mean the upgraded version includes all the DLC?

quote:

- The definitive edition of DARK SOULS™ II. DARK SOULS™ II: Scholar of the First Sin includes all the DARK SOULS™ II content released to-date in one package and much more!

I ask because I have the discount available but have not purchased any DLC or the season pass for the original version

if I have to shell out 30 bucks, then 25 bucks that's a dealbreaker

edit: the whole thing just isn't clear from a consumer standpoint, the same name for both of them is only part of the issue in my opinion

mr. nobody fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Apr 2, 2015

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

Awesome! posted:

That big orange box was put there by Steam to mitigate some of the damage and avoid a flood of support tickets.
Did they fix that hubbub about weapon degradation being linked to your monitor refresh rate because of reasons :lol:

mr. nobody posted:

Does this mean the upgraded version includes all the DLC?

I ask because I have the discount available but have not purchased any DLC or the season pass for the original version

The 64 bit one, yeah.

sauer kraut fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Apr 2, 2015

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Drifter posted:

Metro 2033 or whatever did, and no one shoved a pickle up their rear end in a top hat.
The Redux versions of the two Metros gave you a loyalty discount if you already owned the original versions, this doesn't.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984
I'm at the last boss and haven't played any of the Season Pass content yet for DS2. Think I should wait? The community's likely to be dead but I didn't really mess much with that other than being an rear end in a top hat Bellbro/Ratman. Then again, if I have all of the Season Pass content to go through, I'd probably want to play it fresh with the enhanced??

Agh hope the pre-owner discount stays static.

EDIT: Since prices seem different for everyone, I own everything and the upgrade is $20 for me.

Orv
May 4, 2011

sauer kraut posted:

Wow that DS2 bundle is some scummy poo poo, why would they give it the same name :psyduck:

Scummy and your average Japanese game companies understanding of PR and marketing are two different things.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Healbot posted:

I think the textures look slightly better in the DX11 version.

They should have just not hosed up the textures in the first place IMHO

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Downs Duck posted:

Here's a revolutionary idea: How about simply patching/updating the game that people already bought, for free? Then sell separately or include some package for those that want the Sins of the First Scholar/the DLC.

What a scummy mess that poo poo is.

Didn't they?

I thought literally everything added in Scholar of the First Sin was added for free to the original Dark Souls 2, sans the DX11 textures ( probably no big deal ), and the larger multiplayer count per region for bigger invasions. All the new NPCs/quest stuff was free.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Ooooh, lookit how crappy that looks.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Sleeveless posted:

Downs Duck
Nov 19, 2005

Sleeveless posted:

I'll never understand how they made DS2 look worse than DS1.

Rookersh posted:

Didn't they?

I thought literally everything added in Scholar of the First Sin was added for free to the original Dark Souls 2, sans the DX11 textures ( probably no big deal ), and the larger multiplayer count per region for bigger invasions. All the new NPCs/quest stuff was free.

Don't forget splitting the community, effectively forcing people to buy the new version.

Downs Duck
Nov 19, 2005
Double post

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

I can't see a drat difference between DX 11 and DX 9 Dark Souls 2 on PC anyway. Does it even have better lighting, shader effects or tesselation? Because I sure as poo poo don't see it.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

Drifter posted:

For Dark Souls 2 they announced it practically as soon as everybody bought the last of the DLC and its a multiplayer thing which forces people to upgrade even if they won't see any real upgrade graphics or performance wise

Also they took the old metro games off of steam, and gave the new ones totally new names

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Downs Duck posted:

I'll never understand how they made DS2 look worse than DS1.
ds1 on my ps3 looks better than that

Downs Duck
Nov 19, 2005

Awesome! posted:

ds1 on my ps3 looks better than that

Yeah, my jaw dropped when I first tried it out and saw how absolutely atrocious it looked. I'll admit, for that very reason, along with some others, I actually haven't played much of the second game. But the scummy business practice they run sure is quite the turn-off for ever purchasing a game published by Bandai Namco again.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...

Orv posted:

The "no game is worth more than $10" mentality that occasionally springs up in this thread is definitely one of the stupider things that comes from here.

but it's true :steamsales: :getin:

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS

Sleeveless posted:

That looks like a picture of someone's monitor and is extremely blurry. Still, the game could have used better textures. It's uneven in places.

Jamfrost fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Apr 2, 2015

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

Tezzeract posted:

but it's true :steamsales: :getin:

I paid 12.49 for Bioshock Infinite + Season Pass and my soul is still hurting :unsmith:
All those 2K, Sega and Squenix weekends have spoiled us rotten. 3.99 is the baseline for AAA games now

Downs Duck
Nov 19, 2005
Btw, have From done anything about hackers running rampant in the game, or is that (still) a problem, like in DS1? It absolutely destroys the PvP or Co-op in the predecessor as well.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Downs Duck posted:

Btw, have From done anything about hackers running rampant in the game, or is that (still) a problem, like in DS1? It absolutely destroys the PvP or Co-op in the predecessor as well.

Rampant, as ever, is massively overstating the problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RhoA
Jul 20, 2014

Downs Duck posted:

I wouldn't expect any changes to be made to deal with the hackers. DS1 is just as bad as ever.

• Locked thread