Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Drifter posted:

Metro 2033 or whatever did, and no one shoved a pickle up their rear end in a top hat.

Metro 2033 came out in 2010 before any new consoles and was already graphically impressive at the time, the Redux came out in 2014 and had some nice legit enhancements from the sequel. Last Light Redux doesn't have that excuse and is honestly kinda pointless instead of scummy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Metro 2033 came out in 2010 before any new consoles and was already graphically impressive at the time, the Redux came out in 2014 and had some nice legit enhancements from the sequel. Last Light Redux doesn't have that excuse and is honestly kinda pointless instead of scummy.

They added a new melee punch animation. :colbert:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Last Light Redux doesn't have that excuse and is honestly kinda pointless instead of scummy.

Why? What is the difference makes Last Light Redux not scummy and Dark Souls 2 scummy if you admit yourself that it's a pointless re-release?

RhoA
Jul 20, 2014

CJacobs posted:

Why? What is the difference makes Last Light Redux not scummy and Dark Souls 2 scummy if you admit yourself that it's a pointless re-release?

The only difference that I see is maybe making the argument that you're getting all of the DLCs with DS2, but that's it. Both of the re-releases took place a year after their original release, so both studios did the same thing by "remastering" the games and charging for better graphics.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

You had to buy LL Redux separately? I thought the whole point was that both games were rekejiggered.

RhoA
Jul 20, 2014

kater posted:

You had to buy LL Redux separately? I thought the whole point was that both games were rekejiggered.

People who owned the games already got a 50% discount on the Redux versions.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
LL Redux's only gameplay change was the Bigun in the main game instead of being something relegated to DLC content. A4 is also a great studio and I wanted to give them cash as a way of support.

Dark Souls 2 SOTFS suffered from a lovely PR campaign, but it's going to be a pretty fresh experience with all the non-graphics changes. Seriously, it feels like the DX11 part is the least important part of the new release.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

RhoA posted:

The only difference that I see is maybe making the argument that you're getting all of the DLCs with DS2, but that's it. Both of the re-releases took place a year after their original release, so both studios did the same thing by "remastering" the games and charging for better graphics.

But there's much more changed than that in Scholar of the First Sin. Like, surprisingly more. It's definitely still the same game with mostly the same geometry but the changed enemy and item placements affect the flow of the game in a refreshing way. It's a lot less lazy than people are giving it credit for. In fact the graphics changes probably should've been undersold even more than they were because the enemy changes do the true revitalizing.

The only thing even remotely scummy about it is listing both versions of Scholar of the First Sin under the same name with only a line or two of text on their store pages to differentiate them.

edit: And even then, if you've got eyes, you can avoid making the mistake, as dumb as it is that it's even an issue.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Apr 2, 2015

RhoA
Jul 20, 2014

CJacobs posted:

But there's much more changed than that in Scholar of the First Sin. Like, surprisingly more. It's definitely still the same game with mostly the same geometry but the changed enemy and item placements affect the flow of the game in a refreshing way. It's a lot less lazy than people are giving it credit for. In fact the graphics changes probably should've been undersold even more than they were because the enemy changes do the true revitalizing.

I'll probably watch a playthrough on Twitch to see how the flow has changed with the revamped enemy and item placements, but, at this point, I'll just wait for the next Steam Sale to grab it.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Downs Duck posted:

Here's a revolutionary idea: How about simply patching/updating the game that people already bought, for free? Then sell separately or include some package for those that want the Sins of the First Scholar/the DLC.

What a scummy mess that poo poo is.

The changes to the game in terms of enemy and item locations are pretty substantial and probably not something you'd want to just patch on the same client (FWIW I haven't seen much in the changes that I've agreed with from a design perspective, but that's not the point). These changes were made for the PS4 and xbox one versions of the game, and of course PC players will want the option to have those changes too, so they put the updated version on PC too. The gameplay changes mean they need a different client for scholar of the first sin, so that naturally means original DS2 and scholar players won't be on the same network. That requires separate online servers which are not free to run. Making it free would most likely be a net loss in revenue.

I wish they could have made this all work on PC without splitting the community but compared to the poo poo EA and ubisoft regularly do, this doesn't even register on the scumometer.

Accordion Man posted:

The Redux versions of the two Metros gave you a loyalty discount if you already owned the original versions, this doesn't.

Yes this does. It's $20 cheaper if you own DS2 and $30 cheaper if you own DS2 with all the DLC. I don't know what that translates to in other currencies though.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

RhoA posted:

People who owned the games already got a 50% discount on the Redux versions.

I think this might have been only for the pre-order period on the Redux versions because I own only the original release of Last Light and don't see a discout on Last Light Redux. Unless its baked right into the store page now and doesn't show up as a -%.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Kibayasu posted:

I think this might have been only for the pre-order period on the Redux versions because I own only the original release of Last Light and don't see a discout on Last Light Redux. Unless its baked right into the store page now and doesn't show up as a -%.

It was a limited time thing, yes.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Huh, DS2SOTFS is really cheap once all the discounts are applied. DAMMIT I'M GOING IN.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS

SynthOrange posted:

Huh, DS2SOTFS is really cheap once all the discounts are applied. DAMMIT I'M GOING IN.

Bwahahaha.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

You should, the gameplay changes are great and it feels like a new game.

Nuramor
Dec 13, 2012

Most Amewsing Prinny Ever!
So how do I know what version of DSII to get?
If I got to the page where it says "You already own this game", this one, there is no upgrade option, only the season pass and the full-priced DSII:SOTFS item without discount.
While this one has both a full version and a discounted upgrade option.
Any ideas?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Nuramor posted:

So how do I know what version of DSII to get?
If I got to the page where it says "You already own this game", this one, there is no upgrade option, only the season pass and the full-priced DSII:SOTFS item without discount.
Any ideas?

The bottom link is the one you want. The one that links from the Dark Souls 2 page is the DX9 version.

CJacobs posted:

If you already own DS2, click this.

If you don't own DS2, click this.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

Nuramor posted:

Any ideas?

The discounted upgrade of that (335300). It needs 64bit Windows and a DX11 card.

The correct answer of course is to not buy anything unless it's on 75+% sale :steam:

Nuramor
Dec 13, 2012

Most Amewsing Prinny Ever!

CJacobs posted:

The bottom link is the one you want. The one that links from the Dark Souls 2 page is the DX9 version.

I can see in your quoted post that you have an *actual* discount on the upgrade. That is because of already owned DLC, right?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Nuramor posted:

I can see in your quoted post that you have an *actual* discount on the upgrade. That is because of already owned DLC, right?

There are 3 tiers of discounts on Scholar of the First Sin DX11:

1. Don't own DS2 in any form: $50, base price (you won't be able to buy from the upgrade link on the store page if this is the case obv.)
2. Own DS2 with no or some of the DLC: $30
3. Own DS2 with all of the DLC: $20

The DX9 version of Scholar of the First Sin will always be $40 and there's no discount.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Apr 2, 2015

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I got DS2 and the season pass and the discounted price for SOTFS was $16.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

SynthOrange posted:

I got DS2 and the season pass and the discounted price for SOTFS was $16.

I had the same and it was 20 for me! Are you talking USD or some other form of D?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

USD, but I'm in australia. Hm.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
So I bought Talos Principle on a whim and I'm glad I did. Everything from the presentation to the puzzles are fantastic. The fact you can choose to have Sam be the voice over is icing on the cake.

Still not sure what Stars do but I'm sure it will become apparent.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
If I have Metro 2033 already but haven't played it, is it work getting the Redux version? I'm just now getting a computer that can run either one.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

RichterIX posted:

If I have Metro 2033 already but haven't played it, is it work getting the Redux version? I'm just now getting a computer that can run either one.

For 2033, definitely; Redux updates it to the Last Light engine and improves the stealth quite a bit. It's Last Light Redux that isn't particularly worth it.

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
I saw on Reddit that Dark Souls 2 has a bug where your items' durability degrades faster at higher fps, and that the bug isn't fixed in Scholar of the First Sin, and since SotFS runs at a reliable 60 fps the bug is reliably worse than before.
People are "fixing" the bug by capping their games at 30 fps :laffo:

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Fun Times! posted:

I saw on Reddit that Dark Souls 2 has a bug where your items' durability degrades faster at higher fps, and that the bug isn't fixed in Scholar of the First Sin, and since SotFS runs at a reliable 60 fps the bug is reliably worse than before.

This is the exact same situation/solution as DX9 DS2, so literally nothing has changed. :thumbsup:

Positronic Spleen
May 5, 2010
Don't the new console versions run at 60 now? You think they would have fixed it for that reason alone.

Unbearable
Apr 3, 2011

Gamestop US has Riddick Steam keys for $5.

You can also fill your library with all sorts of terrible hunting games. Bargain.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Convex posted:

FUEL, Lost Planet 1.5 and 2, Virtua Tennis 4, Mortal Kombat Kollection, and Fallout 3 (although that one is easy to fix at least). Probably some others I forgot.

GTA4

I'm one of those weird people that really liked GTA4, but fighting with GFWL puts me off ever playing it again. Ever. :smith:

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
Tecman is a balla from Valhalla when it comes to the Talos Principle. Once I blast through Pillars of Eternity I can finally go back to controller games with this and relax on the couch. Thanks!

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Snuffman posted:

GTA4

I'm one of those weird people that really liked GTA4, but fighting with GFWL puts me off ever playing it again. Ever. :smith:

Same here, only the GFWL integration didn't really bother me too much. What puts me off from playing it again is the quality of the PC port. It's so poorly optimized, I doubt the computer I have now will run it properly.

CountingWizard
Jul 6, 2004

Fun Times! posted:

I didn't know this was a bug. I just thought everyone had to carry around two sets of weapons because equipment durability was a thing again like in Shadow Tower Abyss. Kinda like an added difficulty. Usually in boss fights I'd have to switch weapons halfway through, and it made it that much more dynamic and interesting. I mean your weapons repair automatically when you rest, so I can't see how durability would even be a thing if it didn't go down as fast as it does.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Unbearable posted:

Gamestop US has Riddick Steam keys for $5.

You can also fill your library with all sorts of terrible hunting games. Bargain.

Dangerous Hunts 2013 is unironically a fun game and a blast to play so get on this

corn in the bible fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Apr 2, 2015

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
If the idea of bullet-time shooting a demonic lion right in the heart doesn't appeal to you then you've lost your will to live

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!

CountingWizard posted:

I didn't know this was a bug. I just thought everyone had to carry around two sets of weapons because equipment durability was a thing again like in Shadow Tower Abyss. Kinda like an added difficulty. Usually in boss fights I'd have to switch weapons halfway through, and it made it that much more dynamic and interesting. I mean your weapons repair automatically when you rest, so I can't see how durability would even be a thing if it didn't go down as fast as it does.

I always thought it was intentional, and that the bug was actually the lowered durability drain in the console version.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Max Wilco posted:

Same here, only the GFWL integration didn't really bother me too much. What puts me off from playing it again is the quality of the PC port. It's so poorly optimized, I doubt the computer I have now will run it properly.

My current computer will run it fine. I don't have actual FPS stats but it seems alright, but at the same time it has moments that just feel choppy or janky, and I don't know if it's just the age of the game or if there's still some bugginess in the port code.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Riddick is a legit awesome game made by Starbreeze, who also made the cool Darkness game.

They really make you feel like a very dangerous person without having to resort to making everyone else made of paper. The combat is pretty cool, too. It's like Condemned but instead of beating up hobos you beat up maximum security prisoners and Xzibit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8Ah4vPDR5k

Rush Limbo fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Apr 2, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Luisfe posted:

I always thought it was intentional, and that the bug was actually the lowered durability drain in the console version.

Nope. Durability damage when hitting anything other than enemies is calculated by how many frames the item spends clipping with the corpse/wall/whatever you hit.

• Locked thread