Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What will the Nightly Show be like?
This poll is closed.
A news parody, like the Daily Show 15 13.27%
A pundit satire, like the Colbert Report 7 6.19%
Something else entirely 91 80.53%
Total: 113 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Y-Hat posted:

I've hardly seen Irish Joe post but even I know his opinions aren't worth the bandwidth his posts occupy

Even for him, that's pretty bad. I'd watch Hannibal host the Daily Show.

Anyone follow TYT here? Their host had a bizarre meltdown because Noah used to do radio. I couldn't make sense of it, but I really love his standup. I'm very excited for TDS in a way I don't think I've ever been.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I turn away from comedy news for three days and what the gently caress is going on. :psyduck:

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
Honestly I haven't seen all that many people being that offended about Noah's tweets in the way people are describing as being really "tumblr", instead it seems more like the chattering pundits are taking a few people who were offended, elevating their opinions as representative of some kind of larger (possibly majoritarian) movement, and trying to stir controversy out of it so they have something to talk about in dumb thinkpieces that will get them clicks for the week and will be forgotten soon after.

Really the most anger I've seen is from the "loving PC POLICE YOU CAN'T CRITICIZE COMEDY" crowd who took the bait of those pundits and have joined a side they normally would never have otherwise. There's a way to critique people who have the pretense to speak for others' experiences re: race and gender politics, but the Oswalt tweets weren't really all that funny or uniquely insightful.

Comedy Central and Trevor Noah had perfectly acceptable responses. Admitting "hey yeah the jokes were dumb, but they don't encompass my entire comedic identity or worldview". Acknowledging the offensiveness but moving forward is a way better strategy than turning reactionary.

Neeksy fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Apr 2, 2015

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea it's hilarious that in the thread that someone compared 'tumblr folks' to loving Tipper Gore the biggest reactions 99% of people have had to this has been 'yea, some of those were lovely, they're also all years old so who gives a poo poo' and the most hysteria has come from the "YOU CAN'T PC POLICE COMEDY YOU loving TUMBLR SHITBABIES".

Like, gently caress, no one wants to take comedy away, no one actually gives a poo poo about this except for a small amount of idiots and a bunch of loving buzzfeed nobody 'journalists' who needed a story for mid week. The funniest reaction this got was getting Oswalt to sperg out over it probably.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Like, gently caress, no one wants to take comedy away, no one actually gives a poo poo about this except for a small amount of idiots and a bunch of loving buzzfeed nobody 'journalists' who needed a story for mid week.

And Bill Maher, who no doubt is preparing at least ten minutes of material on this for Friday.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Like, gently caress, no one wants to take comedy away, no one actually gives a poo poo about this except for a small amount of idiots and a bunch of loving buzzfeed nobody 'journalists' who needed a story for mid week.

Hmmmm yes right because Comedy Central fake news shows have never been targeted by the worst of tumblr or twitter scolds ever ever ever.

e: I mean, I get this is nowhere near as bad as #cancelcolbert, but you can't exactly blame sane people for throwing up their hands and shouting, "Oh FFS, this poo poo again?!"

Majorian fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Apr 2, 2015

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Y-Hat posted:

• He does stuff like this all the time now. These days, you're more likely to hear Patton Oswalt going off about comedy than actually performing comedy

Given Salon's bizarre grudge against him, can you blame him for this?

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Majorian posted:

Hmmmm yes right because Comedy Central fake news shows have never been targeted by the worst of tumblr or twitter scolds ever ever ever.

e: I mean, I get this is nowhere near as bad as #cancelcolbert, but you can't exactly blame sane people for throwing up their hands and shouting, "Oh FFS, this poo poo again?!"

But given how much power they actually have to censor/cancel anything, these scolds are are a minor nuisance at most. It's not like they have institutional power to end comedy, and sometimes there is a valid critique to be had.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Neeksy posted:

But given how much power they actually have to censor/cancel anything, these scolds are are a minor nuisance at most. It's not like they have institutional power to end comedy, and sometimes there is a valid critique to be had.

Ehhhh, but think of how chickenshit networks are. Alec Baldwin lost his show what, one episode in, because he lost his poo poo at a paparazzo? Hell, Brian Williams has barely been able to keep his job because he told a fish story on the air. Networks tend to overreact to complaint campaigns like these if they build up enough steam. I'm glad that Comedy Central hasn't done this so far, either with Colbert or with Noah, but given how ridiculous the tumblr types have been in the past, I can't blame people like Patton (who has himself been unfairly targeted) for saying, "Knock it the gently caress off." Those of us who actually give a drat about promoting social justice don't see the utility in the circular firing squad, especially in the internet age.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Uh Brian Williams lied a lot more than just one story lol

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

Tatum Girlparts posted:

"YOU CAN'T PC POLICE COMEDY YOU loving TUMBLR SHITBABIES".

The irony of statement this is loving hilarious.

Jim Norton and Oswalt are actually being funny and have every reason to be outraged by mouth breathing idiots.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Majorian posted:

Ehhhh, but think of how chickenshit networks are. Alec Baldwin lost his show what, one episode in, because he lost his poo poo at a paparazzo? Hell, Brian Williams has barely been able to keep his job because he told a fish story on the air. Networks tend to overreact to complaint campaigns like these if they build up enough steam. I'm glad that Comedy Central hasn't done this so far, either with Colbert or with Noah, but given how ridiculous the tumblr types have been in the past, I can't blame people like Patton (who has himself been unfairly targeted) for saying, "Knock it the gently caress off." Those of us who actually give a drat about promoting social justice don't see the utility in the circular firing squad, especially in the internet age.

Alec Baldwin had other incidents in the past before that one, and it was additionally a news network instead of an entertainment channel which can sometimes have more leeway. Brian Williams is a newscaster and therefore had to carry the weight of credibility of a network's entire news division.

This circular firing squad you outlined may be annoying, but I'm pretty sure they weren't the same audience of people who took down Baldwin and Williams nor do they have the same power to do so by any stretch of the imagination. They have very limited ability to do much more than create backlash or temporary dialogue.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009
Right, but what power does Patton have to shut up the tumblr types? Not that much. I thought his response was pretty funny, and it was a good lampooning of Internet outrage culture. What more is he, or anyone, going to do in response to pdolls complaining about Noah? Nothing. They're letting off steam. In Patton's case he deserves to let some off.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Majorian posted:

Right, but what power does Patton have to shut up the tumblr types? Not that much. I thought his response was pretty funny, and it was a good lampooning of Internet outrage culture. What more is he, or anyone, going to do in response to pdolls complaining about Noah? Nothing. They're letting off steam. In Patton's case he deserves to let some off.

Patton has legions of fans, lots of money, and essentially a megaphone for their responses. These tumblr types have tumblr blogs. If these comedians are so concerned about free speech, why is "shutting up" these critics so important?

I disagree that his response was funny or witty, but for me it was the tone and delivery than the ideology behind it.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009
Telling someone they're being ridiculous (which the tumblr types have been, in this case) is not the same as censoring them, though. What are Patton's fans going to do, write dumb comments on Slate's dumb article on the topic?

And what was Patton's tone, from your perspective?

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

Even for him, that's pretty bad. I'd watch Hannibal host the Daily Show.

Anyone follow TYT here? Their host had a bizarre meltdown because Noah used to do radio. I couldn't make sense of it, but I really love his standup. I'm very excited for TDS in a way I don't think I've ever been.

I think Cyenk Ugyur was just saying he didn't think radio was a good prerequisite for hosting The Daily Show and South African radio would have been an even weirder long shot. He seems to harp on that about as much as the entire republican party/base did that Obama was 'just a community organizer'. I wouldn't call it a meltdown but he was oddly preoccupied with it.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Majorian posted:

Telling someone they're being ridiculous (which the tumblr types have been, in this case) is not the same as censoring them, though. What are Patton's fans going to do, write dumb comments on Slate's dumb article on the topic?

And what was Patton's tone, from your perspective?

You said "to shut up" so I wasn't sure what your intentions were. This "war" between the two sides is not even remotely on equivalent ground. Having access to large amounts of fans means that you can easily echo/combat the criticism easily through social media, the very same medium that these critics are using. These critics are not movie stars, and do not wield the same amount of audience. Patton can also easily get himself booked on any number of TV shows to address the topic and put his view out there, which these tumblr bloggers have practically no ability to do so. They're annoying, but hardly equal in their ability to disseminate viewpoints, nor to get higher ups in media to run with it as a narrative.

Remember the huge dustup with Daniel Tosh telling a heckler that he hopes she gets raped? Sure didn't end his career or prevent him from having two shows produced on Comedy Central. It's perfectly fine to call these critics annoying, but don't assign them as this scary threat to comedy or speech.

As for the tone? The 30-something tweets came across as petulant over a subject he was not directly involved in nor required a response greater than what Comedy Central and Noah had already given. His intention was satire, I'm sure, but his observation wasn't really all that insightful or anything that hasn't been done before. The 90s called, they want their political correctness jokes back.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

NutritiousSnack posted:

The irony of statement this is loving hilarious.

Jim Norton and Oswalt are actually being funny and have every reason to be outraged by mouth breathing idiots.

Has Jim Norton actually done dickall besides be Anthony Cumia's laughing boy in, like, forever? He was hilarious when I was 20 and thought blowjob jokes and cringe humor was the height of comedy, but he got sucked into O&A's undertow.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009
Neeksy: I think you're really, really, really overestimating how much of a counterpunch Patton intended his tweets to be against the Internet outrage crowd. Nobody is going to silence a bunch of tumblr posters because a comedian took the piss out of them.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I've seen discussion of this all over the internet and yet somehow I've yet to see one of the tweets in question. What were these jokes, exactly? Do people here find them offensive? It's a little weird how discussions like this mostly happen around the subject in question these days rather than engaging directly with whatever the problem's supposed to be.

Still, I'd be leery about leveling any "They're just tweets, trawling through his past jokes is a waste of time, comedy should be allowed to be offensive" style defenses because obviously that's not universal. Sight unseen, I'd have to assume if they were offensive enough then people would back off him - what we're actually looking for are jokes that suggest a bigoted and discriminatory mindset, which will vary from person to person depending on their sensitivities. They probably just fall into that borderline where we could imagine people being offended enough for stories about how offensive they may or may not be to sound plausible and drive page views/speculation, whether or not there's any more than a handful of people who actually think that way.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Dolash posted:

I've seen discussion of this all over the internet and yet somehow I've yet to see one of the tweets in question.

Here's some.

Edit: You know, I'm kind of surprised some PR stooge didn't have to go through the guy's social media feeds and scrub it of this kind of stuff before the announcement. That seems like a corporate thing to do.

Cabbit fucked around with this message at 11:03 on Apr 2, 2015

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

I laughed at that first one. Saw there were a lot of them, gave up. I don't care. It's twitter. I don't care.
Is being known for not sucking a lot of dick a hurtful anti-semetic slur? I can't even believe this is a controversy.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Krinkle posted:

I laughed at that first one. Saw there were a lot of them, gave up. I don't care. It's twitter. I don't care.
Is being known for not sucking a lot of dick a hurtful anti-semetic slur? I can't even believe this is a controversy.

It's not, really. A bunch of people went "well, some of these are offensive", a couple people wrote articles, and other folks started howling about how the Tumblr Police were going to start kicking down doors to confiscate high art like:

quote:

Originally when men proposed they went down on one knee so if the woman said no they were in the perfect uppercut position.

There are better hills to die on in defense of free speech than this.

Cabbit fucked around with this message at 11:20 on Apr 2, 2015

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Krinkle posted:

A couple of the other ones, like the ones about fat girls, are less defensible.

These tweets are something like 4 years old at this point so judging him by these doesn't make sense because it seems he's gone beyond this kind of humor, but some of these jokes, particularly the ones about women, are kinda lovely.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Dolash posted:

I've seen discussion of this all over the internet and yet somehow I've yet to see one of the tweets in question. What were these jokes, exactly? Do people here find them offensive? It's a little weird how discussions like this mostly happen around the subject in question these days rather than engaging directly with whatever the problem's supposed to be.

The problem is that anything can be offensive if you're a big enough pussy. If you're really going to go through the exercise of trawling through every person's history to determine if they're a horrible person, do you allow for every pussy's delicate sensibilities to determine what's offensive, or, if you don't, where do you draw the line? Sexism? Racism? Well, what separates a funny joke about race from a racist joke? Can a black man crack jokes about blacks? Can a women call other women shallow? How about a man calling his ex-girlfriend shallow?

My point is, reasonable people will disagree where the line is, so isn't the better test one that doesn't base "offensiveness" on a bunch of hysterical pussies' subjective opinions? Isn't the better test the one that is objective? Something as simple as: we shouldn't use the jokes a comedian tells to gauge the comedian's personal beliefs, politics, or the quality of his character.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Why would a comedian tell jokes he doesn't think are funny? And if he does, or did, think that stuff was a good premise for a funny joke, doesn't that speak in some way to his beliefs, politics, or the quality of his character?

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Because comedians aren't paid to make themselves laugh?

edit:
Why would a McDonald's employee make a burger he doesn't like?
Why would a marketing executive advertise a product he doesn't use?
Why would a real estate agent sell a house she wouldn't live in?
Why would a lawyer work on behalf of a murderer if he didn't support murder?

Stupid questions are fun!

Irish Joe fucked around with this message at 11:41 on Apr 2, 2015

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

I must not know much about comedy, because "Well, I think this is some banal, borderline racist stuff but I bet somebody will get a chuckle out of it!" doesn't exactly sound like the sort of thing a comedian does.

Sounds like some poo poo a comedy writer might do, writing for a specific audience, but not somebody going up on stage to tell a joke.

Edit: Yeah okay, totally the same situation as a guy flipping burgers. That's a real artistic craft, right there.

I mean I knew going into this I wasn't going to have an honest back-and-forth about the guy calling people pussies every third sentence but hope springs eternal.

Skunny Wundy
Jul 9, 2012

achillesforever6 posted:

Did anyone read Patton Oswalts 53 Tweet rant on it?
http://www.fastcompany.com/3044542/the-recommender/how-patton-oswalt-won-the-trevor-noah-twitter-debate
Granted he didn't write full 53 tweets about it, some of them were just one word.

only norm should be allowed to make 53 tweets about something.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Irish Joe posted:

I'm wondering what you guys consider mainstream America, because I still hear people quoting Chappelle Show skits and Chris Rock's "friend of the family" bit regularly.

The only people I have ever heard quote that Chris Rock bit are racist assholes who are trying to justify their use of the n-word. Which is not conincidentally why Chris Rock dropped that bit for good a long time ago.

I haven't heard anyone reference Chappelle's Show in at least five years, and even then it was just the Rick James stuff.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Cabbit posted:

Why would a comedian tell jokes he doesn't think are funny? And if he does, or did, think that stuff was a good premise for a funny joke, doesn't that speak in some way to his beliefs, politics, or the quality of his character?

I mean its not like a comedian takes his views on the world and his life experiences and that influences their material. I guess we should just assume that people like John Oliver and Jon Stewart might be secret conservatives as they are only telling liberal jokes since that is their audience. They can also be saying things they disagree with in order to get a reaction see Stephen Colbert.

bobkatt013 fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Apr 2, 2015

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Conrad_Birdie posted:

But really, I can't imagine how miserable a person you must be to take it upon yourself to personally vet someone's OVER FIVE YEAR OLD Twitter feed for ANYTHING potentially seen as "offensive" less than 24 hours after the guy gets the gig of a lifetime. It's absurd. I think back to five years ago and I know I had lovely opinions back then. But five years is not an insignficant amount of time...People change, viewpoints change. I just don't GET IT. No one is perfect. We all are "problematic" if we are vetted hard enough.

You have to be the kind of miserable person that works for Buzzfeed. This is what they do, TMZ of the internet. And like TMZ everyone knows they're total poo poo but takes them seriously for some reason anyway.

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010

Cabbit posted:

Has Jim Norton actually done dickall besides be Anthony Cumia's laughing boy in, like, forever? He was hilarious when I was 20 and thought blowjob jokes and cringe humor was the height of comedy, but he got sucked into O&A's undertow.

Norton is only Opie's laughing boy now on satellite, Anthony got fired and now screams his racist crap on a podcast. Jim was on a episode of Wilmore's show which is easy to forget.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Cabbit posted:

And if he does, or did, think that stuff was a good premise for a funny joke, doesn't that speak in some way to his beliefs, politics, or the quality of his character?

Do you even watch the Daily Show? Correspondents like Jason Jones, Sam Bee, and others get huge mileage out of the "telling horrifying jokes they don't actually believe" shtick. That's what a joke is.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Cabbit posted:

It's not, really. A bunch of people went "well, some of these are offensive", a couple people wrote articles, and other folks started howling about how the Tumblr Police were going to start kicking down doors to confiscate high art like:

Here's how it actually went down:

1: Trevor Noah, at the beginning of his comedy career, tests his limits by posting edgy tweets that turn out to not be very funny and are kind of offensive.
2: Four years later, Buzzfeed digs them up and posts them.
3: The blogosphere overreacts and starts posting ridiculous articles with horrible titles like, "Did Trevor Noah's Twitter history just kill “The Daily Show”?"
4: Fans of The Daily Show, and left-of-center comedians and comedy fans in general, throw up their arms and say, "Oh FFS, not this poo poo again."

Also, everybody who thinks Patton's string of tweets was made in some sort of frothing fury doesn't follow him on Twitter. He's made long series of tweets making fun of sites like Salon and Slate before, and they're supposed to be in good fun.

quote:

Why would a comedian tell jokes he doesn't think are funny?

He was trying out material, like one does at an open mic night. The jokes weren't very funny. He clearly realized that, because his comedy has evolved substantially since then. The fact that you don't know this kind of suggests that you aren't familiar with his standup as it exists nowadays.

Majorian fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Apr 2, 2015

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Crazy Ted posted:

Oh my god Slate just basically called Trevor Noah the black Sarah Palin.

Slate's the site that kept getting sonned in Twitter debates with Patton Oswalt, right?

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Slate's the site that kept getting sonned in Twitter debates with Patton Oswalt, right?

That would be Salon, I think.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Cabbit posted:

In fairness, the hills on which the battles of free speech are fought are rarely things of beauty. No one comes for non-offensive, perfectly reasonable conversation first, so the fights are always at places like Piss Jesus hillock and Larry Flint molehill.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Gyges posted:

In fairness, the hills on which the battles of free speech are fought are rarely things of beauty. No one comes for non-offensive, perfectly reasonable conversation first, so the fights are always at places like Piss Jesus hillock and Larry Flint molehill.

I thought it was at the Jerry Falwell outhouse drunk with his mom?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG

JohnSherman posted:

Do you even watch the Daily Show? Correspondents like Jason Jones, Sam Bee, and others get huge mileage out of the "telling horrifying jokes they don't actually believe" shtick. That's what a joke is.

Sarcasm doesn't really count as saying things you don't believe in because your actual beliefs are still implicitly being stated. I can't see John Oliver ever making a joke that implies the militarization of police is a good thing.

• Locked thread