Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
Those load times :swoon: I hope it's that fast in online multi as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

I'll give you a definite maybe.
Wow, no slowdown when you have an explosion? I'm in!

I take it there's no news of a NA release? :smith:

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Aww poo poo I gotta get a Japan account set up on my ps4 for this

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Just a few flying things, no big deal

Okay that's a lot of flying things and hold on is that the genocide cannon up there

OH GOD :gonk:

:vince:

Got everything under control. :black101:

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish
Is it wrong that I am seriously considering triple dipping on this (EDF4 and 2025) and quadruple dipping if it gets localized?

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

I'll give you a definite maybe.
How much english is there in the Japanese release of 4.1 right now?

Storm One
Jan 12, 2011

Casnorf posted:

Is it wrong that I am seriously considering triple dipping on this (EDF4 and 2025) and quadruple dipping if it gets localized?
Don't be silly, of course it's not.

Gotta love that ant fragment flying straight up at around 4'50" in the first video and back down 5" later.

Do the new spider webs still clip through buildings and trap you from the other side of the map?

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Brackhar posted:

How much english is there in the Japanese release of 4.1 right now?
Basically none, aside from "EDF! EDF!" (which, frankly, is all anyone needs) and some of the menu options. Most if not all of the weapons have English names written in katakana, though, which makes things a bit easier.

Storm One posted:

Do the new spider webs still clip through buildings and trap you from the other side of the map?
Yeah. Bunch of assholes. :argh: I think they might have shorter range now, but I'm not certain.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Has the framerate in splitscreen been improved any? That's what I'd really like to see, since I've got people who want to couch play it real bad.

Also it would be nice if you didn't have to farm a billion armor all over again.

mune
Sep 23, 2006

Stelas posted:

Has the framerate in splitscreen been improved any? That's what I'd really like to see, since I've got people who want to couch play it real bad.

Also it would be nice if you didn't have to farm a billion armor all over again.

Yes, this is what I came here to ask - I wish they would tweak the difficulty settings so on higher difficulties you got more armor per pickup. That would be the single best change they could make.

Mediocrity Goggles
Mar 20, 2009

Looking at it the wrong way.
Does it have all the prior DLC missions already included? I need to know if the DLC2 grind cave still exists, basically.

Also I take it the armor grind is still painful and letting the game run for hours in splitscreen with rubber bands on your controllers is still the fastest way to get armor.

Mediocrity Goggles fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Apr 3, 2015

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

From EDF4.1 wiki, roughly:

quote:

4.1 changes

General
- Graphical Improvements, Reduced Load Times, Less Crashes
- No. of enemies increased
- No. of NPCs increased, some of them in vehicles
- Darker underground stages

Ranger
- Can receive health packs from medics
- Evasive roll can destroy / go through buildings

Wing Diver
- Can recover in mid-air

Air Raider
- Additional vehicles (Giant Robot Balaam, underground vehicles)
- Ability to have more than 2 out at once
- Laser Sight on all vehicles

Fencer
- Can walk through any breakable object such as buildings
- Can boost jump in any direction (implied along the ground?)
- By boosting or dashing the moment they hit the ground, they can recover

Monsters
- Additional types
- Retarius can no longer shoot through buildings

Looks like armor is the same, if the numbers are accurate, but drop rates have apparently been adjusted upwards.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

quote:

- Evasive roll can destroy / go through buildings

This changes everything.

Storm One
Jan 12, 2011

Doc Morbid posted:

Yeah. Bunch of assholes. :argh: I think they might have shorter range now, but I'm not certain.

Stelas posted:

From EDF4.1 wiki, roughly:

quote:

Monsters
- Additional types
- Retarius can no longer shoot through buildings

Wait, have they fixed this or not?

quote:

- No. of enemies increased

That swarm in the first video did seem larger than usual for the very first mission but I thought I was just misremembering. Sandlot still keeping their priorities straight :worship:

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

I could have sworn I got hit by a web going through a building earlier, but maybe I was imagining it. :downs: They can definitely hit you before you even see them, though, so they're still assholes.

edit: "Good job, Fencers!" gently caress you, I did all the work before those guys even managed to lumber their way to the first shield generator.

e2: I can now 100% confirm that Retiarius spiders can and will still shoot their webs through buildings. I tested this just now by parking myself behind a building and waiting for the spider to shoot, and of course he hit me. This kind of thing does seem to happen less often than it did in the last-gen version, but it is definitely still there.

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Apr 3, 2015

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
I'm going to ram myself into buildings and no one can stop me. The game keeps looking better and better the more I read and see of it.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

I heard about EDF and heard it was amazing but I had no XBox because I am a sony fan, so I never could try it.

Yesterday I saw this thread and I saw that it was for PS3 and I was like "Okay that sounds cool I'll check it out"

Then I looked at the latest page and saw it's being remade for PS4.

So my question to you all is this : Do I buy it on PS3 now or wait and hope that the PS4 version is US localized?

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
The ps3 version is pretty garbage. The later levels get better for some reason, but the first 6 or so levels have framerate issues so bad that it's ridiculous, especially if you play splitscreen. Definitely wait for the ps4 version.

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
If you can get it for dirt cheap then go for it. It's easily one of my favorites games of all time despite it's many flaws. Here's a vid that shows off a lot of the new stuff in action.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eChgscGIgYw

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Why anyone would cite "framerate issues" as a problem in an EDF game is beyond me. Go play EDF2/GDF and get off my lawn.

Storm One
Jan 12, 2011

dis astranagant posted:

Why anyone would cite "framerate issues" as a problem in an EDF game is beyond me.
Yeah, if it's not dropping to single-digits you're playing it wrong :black101:

I played both the PS3 and 360 versions and to be honest didn't notice a game-ruining difference performance-wise, though I did not play split-screen. The 360 version does have the advantage of allowing simultaneous split-screen and online co-op, while the PS3 is either/or.

Still, last time it took more than 6 months before the localisation was done and AFAIK so far nobody confirmed 4.1 will be released in the West so I also say go for it.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

hey I got this if anyone wants to play, tooooooo_bad on psn

Mediocrity Goggles
Mar 20, 2009

Sadly I don't even have a PS4, just a PS3 and 2025. Would be rather ironic for me to get a PS4 just to play a better running version of 2025, but I bet the japanese version has far more populated online than our versions ever did. PS3 peaked at like 150 people online, and a good number of them were kinda jerks. Not to mention all the connection issues and timing out cause of the load times.

Any word on the 360/PS3 DLC levels returning on PS4?

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

DLC isn't there at launch but there's a lot of familiar DLC in the store.

So glad I bought 4.1 - it's truly staggering how good it looks when running fast, when you have an Air Raider with an enormous mech who can actually aim and a Wing Diver flitting around it. All the improvements are great, Hard and Hardest and Inferno are actually survivable and not one-shot kills, it's just fantastic.

Strange thing, though - it's also region locked. If you try to play it with an account other than the one that bought it, it'll tell you to gently caress off. This definitely isn't the case with other games I've bought, though.

e: Also, splitscreen had no noticable frame drop compared to single player. It maybe was a little more likely to slow down when a building exploded, but that's about it.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Stelas posted:

Strange thing, though - it's also region locked. If you try to play it with an account other than the one that bought it, it'll tell you to gently caress off. This definitely isn't the case with other games I've bought, though.
This is 100% not the case for me for this game, nor has it been for any PS3 or PS4 game I have ever played.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Samurai Sanders posted:

This is 100% not the case for me for this game, nor has it been for any PS3 or PS4 game I have ever played.

At a guess, it might be because my JP account is not set to be primary on the console in question, or maybe because it hadn't finished fully downloading, it was only part downloaded? But it definitely said 'only [Japanese account] may use this software. Please go buy it from PSN'.

e: Yeah, it was because I hadn't set my JP account to be primary. I guess if it isn't Plus and isn't Primary, then it won't let other users use your games even if you're both logged in at the same time on the same PS4.

Stelas fucked around with this message at 11:21 on Apr 4, 2015

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

I was expecting them to just tack new levels on to the end but instead they've slipped them in throughout the campaign. They've also changed a lot of the older stages, mostly in the interest of making poo poo even more ridiculous than it was before. It's awesome.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

I totally could have survived Crimson on Hardest if it wasn't for the horde of mutant ants they threw in with the last wave of the red ones.

These "dark red" ants are apparently a new type of mutant and may or may not be completely impervious to everything.

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Buy some freaking medicine.

Stelas posted:

DLC isn't there at launch but there's a lot of familiar DLC in the store.

So glad I bought 4.1 - it's truly staggering how good it looks when running fast, when you have an Air Raider with an enormous mech who can actually aim and a Wing Diver flitting around it. All the improvements are great, Hard and Hardest and Inferno are actually survivable and not one-shot kills, it's just fantastic.

e: Also, splitscreen had no noticable frame drop compared to single player. It maybe was a little more likely to slow down when a building exploded, but that's about it.

thank you for your patience in not dying every time i tested some new retarded air raider mess and killed 75% of our npcs with missiles the size of office buildings or satellite beams running at us because an npc walked in front of me while i was aiming it

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

's what I'm there for.

Reminds me of another new change - friendly fire and self-inflicted stupid explosive deaths are turned off on HARD and below. ... except I'm not sure I like that change because all it does is teach lousy trigger finger discipline early on.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Stelas posted:

's what I'm there for.

Reminds me of another new change - friendly fire and self-inflicted stupid explosive deaths are turned off on HARD and below. ... except I'm not sure I like that change because all it does is teach lousy trigger finger discipline early on.

What? That's loving terrible, half the fun of EDF is stupid self-inflicted death!

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

I just blew myself up with a plasma launcher on Normal.

edit: And now I used a giant robot to have a boxing match with Godzilla. Then did it again without the robot because I wanted to see if I could kill Godzilla's dick with the laser chainsaw. (I definitely could) :getin:

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Apr 4, 2015

I Greyhound
Apr 22, 2008

MusicKrew Dawn Patrol

Doc Morbid posted:

I just blew myself up with a plasma launcher on Normal.

edit: And now I used a giant robot to have a boxing match with Godzilla. Then did it again without the robot because I wanted to see if I could kill Godzilla's dick with the laser chainsaw. (I definitely could) :getin:

:aaaaa:
ohpleaselocalizeohpleaselocalizeohpleaselocalizeohpleaselocalizeohpleaselocalizeohpleaselocalizeohpleaselocalizeohpleaselocalize
ohpleaselocalizeohpleaselocalizeohpleaselocalizeohpleaselocalizeohpleaselocalizeohpleaselocalizeohpleaselocalizeohpleaselocalize

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Daddy let me punch the godzillas.

Mediocrity Goggles
Mar 20, 2009

Jeez, you're making me actually want to get a PS4 now talking about how much better this new one is. Everything feels so horrible on the old systems now. Well, hopefully this'll see a localization sometime, perhaps after a PS4 slim comes out.

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Buy some freaking medicine.
I'm gonna play a bunch of this today and be a huge useless poo poo who calls down bad vehicles and missiles and I can't wait

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Some stages have way the hell more enemies than before, and this is especially troubling when they're Hectors. I can only take so many Hectors before I start freaking out.

hamburgers in pockets
Jun 18, 2005

Yeah, that's blood. It'll get better before the show.
So wait, did this even get a physical release? I was all set to import a copy but if it's JP PSN only I'm gonna need to make an account and find a way to get JP PSN credit because I need this game yesterday.

Storm One
Jan 12, 2011
It was physically released as well, yes.

About self-inflicted damage, it seems to be percentage based: 100% damage in Inferno, 75% in Hardest, etc. I believe that's what says in the difficulty level selection screen. Could someone translate what else it says there? Also, is there no online audio chat in this one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Retarius might not be fixed but the game's damage has definitely been adjusted downwards. A starting character with 300 health got caught by one in Hardest and survived to kill it.