Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pram
Jun 10, 2001
lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

pram posted:

i use an advanced unix

knowing your pattern of shitposting this means osx.

puppet and chef have native ports to osx and as a result there are really great libraries to configure osx desktops for development purposes

https://boxen.github.com/
https://github.com/pivotal-sprout

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

quote:

Chef is a configuration management tool written in Ruby and Erlang. It uses a pure-Ruby, domain-specific language (DSL) for writing system configuration "recipes".

quote:

In computing, Puppet is an open source configuration management utility. It runs on many Unix-like systems as well as on Microsoft Windows, and includes its own declarative language to describe system configuration.

quote:

Ansible is an open-source software platform for configuring and managing computers. It combines multi-node software deployment, ad hoc task execution, and configuration management.[1] It manages nodes over SSH or PowerShell and requires Python (2.4 or later) [2] to be installed on them. Modules work over JSON and standard output and can be written in any programming language. The system uses YAML to express reusable descriptions of systems.

hm ya becuase that's what i, an art major, need for my $5.06/month web site: programming my own configuration management

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

knowing your pattern of shitposting this means osx.

puppet and chef have native ports to osx and as a result there are really great libraries to configure osx desktops for development purposes

https://boxen.github.com/
https://github.com/pivotal-sprout

holy poo poo shut up!! no one needs cm for a $2 a month vm

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

atomicthumbs posted:

hm ya becuase that's what i, an art major, need for my $5.06/month web site: programming my own configuration management

if you're not prepared to work with configuration management maybe you shouldn't be hosting your own poo poo on a linux server

throw your static poo poo up on github pages

or pay for a hosted blog

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

pram posted:

holy poo poo shut up!! no one needs cm for a $2 a month vm

if it's worth doing at all, it's worth doing right

(maybe it's not worth doing at all. maybe $2 vms for idiots to break are not a good idea?)

pram
Jun 10, 2001
also ansible owns

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
i'm not fond of ansible, but anything is better than nothing

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

i'm not fond of ansible, but anything is better than nothing

weird, i always thought ansible was for contrarian dipshits who thrive on believing they've outgrown other tools

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

it's not a static website (i'll be using a portfolio CMS called koken, switching from indexhibit after extracting my $30 worth of blood from that stone), but it looks like to use what you're suggesting I'd be spending more time than it takes working at my job to earn the website's yearly hosting cost.

"Hey I'm looking to upgrade from my old shitbox to a honda fit. What do I need to know"
"You need a dodge viper, idiot. If you can't afford one maybe you shouldn't be driving"

:iiaca:

pram
Jun 10, 2001

atomicthumbs posted:

it's not a static website (i'll be using a portfolio CMS called koken, switching from indexhibit after extracting my $30 worth of blood from that stone), but it looks like to use what you're suggesting I'd be spending more time than it takes working at my job to earn the website's yearly hosting cost.

"Hey I'm looking to upgrade from my old shitbox to a honda fit. What do I need to know"
"You need a dodge viper, idiot. If you can't afford one maybe you shouldn't be driving"

get out

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

atomicthumbs posted:

"i want to operate a commercial beer distributor, do you think a honda fit will work?"

"i don't know guys i really think i can fit two tons of beer in a fit. i'm just an art major, you can't expect me to get a cdl to ship heavy products around"

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Cocoa Crispies posted:

weird, i always thought ansible was for contrarian dipshits who thrive on believing they've outgrown other tools

ansible is loving epic as poo poo bro

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Cocoa Crispies posted:

i think ansible is less-good than the alternatives, but almost any tool is better than no tool

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

"i want to operate a commercial beer distributor, do you think a honda fit will work?"

"i don't know guys i really think i can fit two tons of beer in a fit. i'm just an art major, you can't expect me to get a cdl to ship heavy products around"

"i want to move a chair from my dad's place. how do I keep it from scuffing the seats"
"you need to hire a teamster-operated truck. make sure you get to know the driver in case you need to use them in the future. it'll probably only cost $500-600"

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
i can't believe we're even arguing about this

it's 2015

configuration management is as fundamental as patching and backups

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
at the doctors office:

"my eye is swollen shut"

"take off your pants and lay down on your side with your legs pulled up"

pram
Jun 10, 2001
ansible, as a declarative language for ci and sa tasks, is epic. way better than a rats nest of bash or perl. easier to maintain, easier to write. way better than mcollective. i wouldnt necessarily use it for cm or provisioning though

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!
I don't even know what cm other than an abstract concept because I don't have to janitor computers lol

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Maximum Leader posted:

at the doctors office:

"my eye is swollen shut"

"take off your pants and lay down on your side with your legs pulled up"

your posts are so severely impacted bad analogies are beginning to leak from your eye

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

pram posted:

ansible, as a declarative language for ci and sa tasks, is epic. way better than a rats nest of bash or perl. easier to maintain, easier to write. way better than mcollective. i wouldnt necessarily use it for cm or provisioning though

yeah as an rce framework ansible is way easier to deal with than mco

salt stack is also kinda bad for cm but it is great when i want to say ok release this software on this set of servers now go

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

pram posted:

ansible is loving epic as poo poo bro

I used ansible for our new cloudy project because bsd recommended puppet itt, and he's retarded.

ansible owns.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

atomicthumbs posted:

what you want is probably a wordpress.com account

all CMSes are poo poo, but at least with wordpress.com it won'probably won't get hacked

pram
Jun 10, 2001
bsd is an ancient greybeard w/ suspenders who heard about this "change management" thing in Linux Format and took it to an absurd conclusion

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Cocoa Crispies posted:

what you want is probably a wordpress.com account

all CMSes are poo poo, but at least with wordpress.com it won'probably won't get hacked

i've been dealing with wordpress since high school. i wish to be done with wordpress. especially attempting to do any sort of theme/extension management to turn it into a workable portfolio

and if it gets hacked, worst case scenario they turn my vps into a zombie for a little while until the hosting provider catches it, and i have to spend a little while fixing it

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

i think ansible is less-good than the alternatives, but almost any tool is better than no tool

ansible is comparable in power/flexibility but has far less recipes than chef or puppet and ones available on galaxy mostly target ubuntu, the server os for clowns.

my new favourite thing is using ansible-playbook --check --diff on the servers my co-workers are allowed to touch and seeing all the little things they change in the live environments and then shouting at them :3:

cowboy beepboop fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Apr 3, 2015

pram
Jun 10, 2001
gasp u might have to read the docs and write something

pram
Jun 10, 2001
heres something about puppet and chef that makes them garbage: theyre written in ruby lmao. ruby

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

yeah I much prefer writing new playbooks in ansible than the others

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

ansible's error messages are pure garbage though when you make a syntax error in yml. especially when you increase verbosity to try and find out where and it gives you more verbosity about the ssh command and not the parser

pram
Jun 10, 2001
yeah debugging can be painful. ive also encountered issues escaping in yaml with shell commands. and the documentation wasn't really clear about lists w/ with_items for a long time and that needed a ton of trial and error

pram
Jun 10, 2001
but at the time i was dealing with a rest api that was incredibly awful so ymmv

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
ansible sounds cool but i need it to be able to poll a central server cuz i'm gonna deploy a bunch of poo poo in the field and it needs to not require any inbound firewall bullshit, just connect out to a central command and control server instead

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
I'm glad I have no idea what you all are talking about because it all sounds excruciating terrible

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.
Ansible has been really nice for all my small/mid client jobs. Because the targets only need ssh+python you're basically good to go straight out the gate. It looks really good when you can pick up a project you haven't touched for months and push out a fix safely in minutes.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

atomicthumbs posted:

and if it gets hacked, worst case scenario they turn my vps into a zombie for a little while until the hosting provider catches it, and i have to spend a little while fixing it

as soon as you have to spend "a little while" fixing it you're gonna wish you had some kind of cm

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

You obviously need enterprise level cm for your single instance apache web server you're loving around with for fun.

Also, nginx is good, but whatever, for some portfolio site just fuckin use tumblr or something. You can theme the poo poo outta of it and you don't have to worry about recipes, and other poo poo these nerds are trying to get you worried about.

babies havin rabies
Feb 24, 2006

install lamp using tasksel and then unzip wordpress. be sure to install phpmyadmin too. hail satan.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

configuration management? in my day we called those full disk backups

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Optimus_Rhyme posted:

You obviously need enterprise level cm for your single instance apache web server you're loving around with for fun.

that's the thing, "enterprise level" cm is not a big deal.

on your single host, you run puppet or chef locally. no servers, no proxies, no data stores, no enterprise poo poo. you just write configuration management code and apply it locally and poo poo happens. and you can version control all of it.

if/when you have some enterprise-y needs down the line, THEN you port the code you wrote for your single instance to some bigass enterprise setup. the same drat declarative code will run in the fancy environment as ran locally on your single node with literally no changes, if that's how you want it to be

(in reality you will probably want to change stuff, to make it more reusable and namespace poo poo and so on)