Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Great Rumbler posted:

The Wasteland 2 Facebook page teased the upcoming Quirks:

I get these are supposed to replace the Vault Boy, but ugh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Megazver posted:

I get these are supposed to replace the Vault Boy, but ugh.

I dunno. They're obviously (purposefully) offputting, but I think they match the aesthetic of the original game. I can very much see them as EGA Wasteland 1 style combat sprites.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Yeah once we find out that the Night Terror is actually just dreaming the entire Wasteland universe that design will make even more sense.

I also briefly read "Quarex" every time I look at "Quirk" in that font and it makes me happy and then sad and then happy again.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Fintilgin posted:

I dunno. They're obviously (purposefully) offputting, but I think they match the aesthetic of the original game. I can very much see them as EGA Wasteland 1 style combat sprites.

That would be a vast improvement.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Great Rumbler posted:

The Wasteland 2 Facebook page teased the upcoming Quirks:

What's this?

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Kurtofan posted:

What's this?
Part of the character revamp for the Game of the Year edition it seems. I assume these map pretty much directly to Fallout-style Perks.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
Ok. I kickstarted this game and forgot about it. Is it worth playing?

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
...why did you kickstart it?

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
And yes. Though at this point you may as well wait until the Game Of The Year version comes out in ... Uhh... A month or two? What did they say?

It basically delivered what was advertised, which is good for Wasteland fans and often-good for Fallout 1/2 fans.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
I really hope the character system changes throttle back on the need to have nothing but idiot savants in your group. Like maybe let characters pool skills a little or something? Maybe the guy with the highest level in a skill gets a bonus based on the number of points in the group total (25-50%). Wasteland Rangers who couldn't find water if they were standing in an oasis, for example, feels weird. The character system never felt right to me, so I never got very far. Regardless glad to see that they're continuing to patch and add to the game.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
being decently good at 3-4 things makes you an idiot savant?

Personally I like that you can't make everyone a loving god-king, I think it's great

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

lordfrikk posted:

Being the heretic that I am I'll be the first to ask whether we'll get the controller-adapted interface (I assume there will be one, right?) on PC as well? Would definitely appreciate that.

Speaking as an old fart that did a lot of point-and-click poo poo back in the old days but still (also a heretic) prefers using a controller, I'll say flat out that you don't need a controller for this. It's not nearly as keyboard-mouse intensive as current PC games, and really easy to get used to. Honestly, I wouldn't want to use a controller for it at all, and this is coming from someone who is PC-gaming impaired.

It's actually kind of difficult to imagine how it'd be played with a controller at all. See above post about the PS4 release and see how they manage it, I guess.

JawKnee posted:

Personally I like that you can't make everyone a loving god-king, I think it's great

Also, this.

Old Boot fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Mar 19, 2015

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

JawKnee posted:

I think having most characters made at int 3 or 4 and 3 luck and 3 charisma in order to not get double turns taken on them by later enemies is not cool. From what character build guides I've seen, that's pretty much the standard build other than your Leadership charisma mans, who usually doesn't take the social skills because he has other skills to be good at. I realize you've got 7 party slots to work with, but it just seems too hyper specialized. Shotguns and being mean, rifles and being nice, slightly different rifles and being flippant, and some other weapon and being good at keeping half the party from being retarded (Leadership) as your core characters doesn't really do it for me. I don't want god-kings of the wastes, but I want semi-competent wasteland peacekeepers who might live for more than five seconds on their own. The game rewards your rangers not being able to put a scope on some rails made to receive it except for that one guy who has points in the skill. At least let me mod the guns in different people's inventories so I don't have to shuffle items around to the one guy that knows something about firearms other than which end is dangerous. Maybe traits will add that little something in there for me. I will see.

The first time I played, my party got murdered in short order by a random encounter because I tried to build them in a balanced manner. The second time around I got far enough to get a second npc and restarted when they duplicated all of the skills of one of my characters. The third time around, I checked some guides, learned where the recruit npcs were and what skills they had and built accordingly because I was getting frustrated.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅
I sunk about 20 hours into the game and got distracted. Now I really am in the mood to pick it back up but drat it seems so pointless with such a huge update soon.

Guess I'll have Pillars to keep me distracted in a week anyway.

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.

merk posted:

Ok. I kickstarted this game and forgot about it. Is it worth playing?

It's definitely worth playing, and was in my top 5 for last year. But at this point, you should wait until the GOTY version drops in a few months.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

Old Boot posted:

Speaking as an old fart that did a lot of point-and-click poo poo back in the old days but still (also a heretic) prefers using a controller, I'll say flat out that you don't need a controller for this. It's not nearly as keyboard-mouse intensive as current PC games, and really easy to get used to. Honestly, I wouldn't want to use a controller for it at all, and this is coming from someone who is PC-gaming impaired.

I know, I played the game on release. It's not a question of need but of preference. I play almost everything on controller because why not. I'm not competitive or even desiring optimal performance and I mostly play single player games anyway so there's little point in using keyboard and mouse when I can just kick back and enjoy the games with a pad.

lordfrikk fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Mar 19, 2015

Konsek
Sep 4, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Darkhold posted:

I sunk about 20 hours into the game and got distracted. Now I really am in the mood to pick it back up but drat it seems so pointless with such a huge update soon.

Guess I'll have Pillars to keep me distracted in a week anyway.

I dunno about starting Pillars so soon, judging by Wasteland 2, I didn't start playing until about patch 4 or 5 and now we're waiting for patch 7 which is still gonna be big. I was thinking of leaving Pillars for now, and playing Divinity Original Sin, since I guess that must have had a few patches by now, and when I finish that Pillars of Eternity will be on patch 7 and just about ready to play.

The game has been great fun and any RPG fan should absolutely definitely play it, but I feel like if I only have the time to play a game once, these days I should wait a few months after release for it to be all patched up before I even think about it.

Konsek fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Mar 19, 2015

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Konsek posted:

I dunno about starting Pillars so soon, judging by Wasteland 2, I didn't start playing until about patch 4 or 5 and now we're waiting for patch 7 which is still gonna be big. I was thinking of leaving Pillars for now, and playing Divinity Original Sin, since I guess that must have had a few patches by now, and when I finish that Pillars of Eternity will be on patch 7 and just about ready to play.

The game has been great fun and any RPG fan should absolutely definitely play it, but I feel like if I only have the time to play a game once, these days I should wait a few months after release for it to be all patched up before I even think about it.

A big update revamping Divinity's second act, crafting system, UI and a bunch of other stuff is supposed to come out sometime this year, so...

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Shadowrun: Dragonfall'd Director's Cut isn't getting any more updated, though. If you haven't, you should definitely play it.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Fruits of the sea posted:

A big update revamping Divinity's second act, crafting system, UI and a bunch of other stuff is supposed to come out sometime this year, so...

It is? Divinity was certainly more fun to play through than Wasteland 2 but suffered from a few of the same issues - the story was a bit lacklustre and trailed off as the game got closer to the finish.
It has some moon logic puzzles in it too, spending ages searching for buttons is never fun. I hope that's what they fix.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Yeah, the second half of the game really suffered from a lack of testing and general polish. I went back and reread the blog post (by Sven, the head of Larian) mentioning an update and it's actually pretty vague. Still, it sounds like an update is definitely in the works. Sorry, the silly puzzles aren't mentioned, so they probably aren't going away.

quote:

Progress can only be made if you’re aware of your faults and intend to do something about it, so explaining our plans starts with explaining what I think sucked about D:OS and more importantly, why those sucky things made it to the final game.

In one paragraph and unsurprisingly, my biggest issues with the game are the same things most people had issues with. I think the main story can be told a lot better and has more potential than is apparent, that combat falls a bit flat after act 1 and that crafting,inventory & trade UIs could use a bunch of improvements. Certain dialogs should be done better, there’s still a lot of feedback missing from tooltips & skills, and at higher levels character progression isn’t as cool as it should be. Our loot system doesn’t behave as hoped for, and the companions could use some work.

Fixing things is not all we’re doing however, far from it. We’re not hiring all those people just to transform D:OS in a better experience, no, obviously we’re also working on our new RPGs.

Notice the ‘s’. It’s intentional and while I’d love to tell you more about them, I need to refrain for fear of losing whatever press momentum we’ll be able to muster when we’ll announce them. But there’s one I thing I can already tell you, and it fits well with the second big thing we’re doing to improve the quality of our future offerings – both RPGs are being built on top of the D:OS engine.

It’s an important thing, because it means that whatever we fix in D:OS, will automatically be present in our new RPGs. It also means that we can spend most of our resources on developing new cool stuff without having to reinvent things that worked well already. And it immediately gives us a rationale for putting unreasonable amounts of effort in fixing the things we didn’t do that well in D:OS, meaning our existing players will continue to get improved gameplay for as long as we can maintain compatibility. Furthermore, it also means that the toolset is going to be improved for a long time to come and so eventually we’ll get more and better mods. We’ll even have a Linux version ;)

Taken from here: http://www.lar.net/2014/12/18/leaked-the-larian-plans-for-20152016-and-beyond/

Honestly 4 years ago even the thought of getting another classic isometric party-based rpg was revolutionary. So bitching about the time it takes to get updates and support post-release(!) in 2 different games with another 2 to be released shortly is preeeetty great in my books.

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Mar 20, 2015

SpaceLion
Jun 10, 2013
Ok. I'm about 30 hours in and feeling a little disheartened/lost. I'm in Titan Canyon, and I'll spoiler tag the rest. The game seems to be pushing me to help the Diamondback Militia to overthrow the followers of Titan, but I keep hearing awful things about the Militia attacking people and leaving them to die, or outright killing them. So I'm not feeling it. My team then finds the DBM hideout and spills the beans to the FoT, but the conclusion at the DBM hideout to that end seems so anti-climatic. And it feels like I locked myself out of content the game seems to want me to see, which feels odd. Maybe, I'm just not used to these sorts of vague faction choices, but something feels off about this and I can't figure out why.

Obviously, this far in, I like this game and the world. The beginning when you have to choose between Highpool and the Ag Center, I thought that was well done. But since then I've felt a little lost trying to decide where/what to explore and how much my actions (or inactions, at times) will effect things. I've also been finding myself save-scumming a lot more than I usually like to do in a story-based game, but some of the choices just seem tricky. Anyone else have this issue or do I just need to suck it up live with the consequences (or lack there of)?

Konsek
Sep 4, 2006

Slippery Tilde

SpaceLion posted:

Ok. I'm about 30 hours in and feeling a little disheartened/lost. I'm in Titan Canyon,

It sounds like you missed a lot. Big spoilers about the area:

Didn't you speak to the shady DBM guy near the beginning? Go inside the hideout? Visit the tunnels underneath the canyon? Get involved in plots and lies about nuclear missiles, or get sent to Silo 7?

There's a bunch of ways that area can turn out, most of them involve explosions or slaughter, and screwing people over.

The map in that area was annoying but I thought the storyline was interesting.

SpaceLion
Jun 10, 2013

Konsek posted:

It sounds like you missed a lot. Big spoilers about the area:

Didn't you speak to the shady DBM guy near the beginning? Go inside the hideout? Visit the tunnels underneath the canyon? Get involved in plots and lies about nuclear missiles, or get sent to Silo 7?

There's a bunch of ways that area can turn out, most of them involve explosions or slaughter, and screwing people over.

The map in that area was annoying but I thought the storyline was interesting.

I actually did talk to the shady DBM guy at the beginning and go inside their hideout, but I didn't want to side with them, so I gave the guy his Preparation H and said no thanks to his job offer. I got to a few tunnels, but didn't want to piss off the FoT. I talked to the drunk guy who said that the bomb is no longer active, and yes, I did get the mission to Silo 7.

It just all felt disjointed, which may have been the map's fault, as there were a lot of twists, turns, overpasses and side paths. Made it tough to know what order to do things in.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
When it comes to the Mad Monks, I let God sort 'em out...

If you know what I mean :twisted:

Konsek
Sep 4, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Does anyone know if going into negative stats is any different from being at 0? For instance -10% evade compared to 0 evade? I can't tell a difference through playing, but I'd like my curiosity satisfied and searching Google doesn't help. I guess, in Evade's case, if you're shot at, a 0% chance to evade means it'll always hit you, so a negative chance to evade can't exactly change that. But you never know what kind of unusual behaviour games might have.

By the same token, do the enemies affect your critical chance, or will a 100% crit rate always crit? It seems to always crit, from experience, but I'd like confirmation.

Konsek fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Mar 31, 2015

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I am fairly certain critical chance has been established to be a self-contained statistic.

IN OTHER NEWS

OH HEY I ALSO KICKSTARTED SOMETHING ELSE???

WOOOO

No, actually, turning on the light just before I took my picture made it way worse, but I will go ahead and throw this one in my post for you anyway love

There we go. I know Chris Avellone must draw that for everyone but that does not look unlike the two of us together at the Wasteland 2 release party.

Definitely using that mousepad RIGHT NOW.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGc6rW5_fj8

This is the closest I get to actually playing it for the time being, I imagine.

TerryLennox
Oct 12, 2009

There is nothing tougher than a tough Mexican, just as there is nothing gentler than a gentle Mexican, nothing more honest than an honest Mexican, and above all nothing sadder than a sad Mexican. -R. Chandler.
Question have the survivor kits shipped already? I got my poster but no survivor kit.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!
Got a weird bug. Sound is starting to cut off and not play at all after a while. Just started when I got to L.A.

Brother None
Feb 25, 2013

On the line for InXile

TerryLennox posted:

Question have the survivor kits shipped already? I got my poster but no survivor kit.
They have, though I'm not 100% sure they've *all* shipped. Please contact us on the Ranger Center so we can follow up.

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

Got a weird bug. Sound is starting to cut off and not play at all after a while. Just started when I got to L.A.
That is weird. Try verifying integrity of game cache on Steam (right click on game, properties, local files). If that doesn't work, can you mail us at support@inxile.net, attaching your dxdiag?

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Woah. :stare:

Goodbye ugly.

Do we have any idea when the PC version of Wasteland 2 GOTY is coming out? Simultaneous with the console release or earlier? Kinda glad I burned out around Titan Canyon, definitely looking forward to picking back up the polished GOTY version.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Huh, that is quite a nice upgrade.

Getting closer to tattoo-worthy!

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

is the update free for people who own the game?

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Roobanguy posted:

is the update free for people who own the game?

I don't think it's been official announced as such yet(?), but realistically it's almost certainly the case.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
Pillars of Eternity bugged out on me at Raedric's Hold and I didn't feel like making a new character for another play through so I figured I'd wait till it's patched to pick it back up. In the meantime I was going to pick this up.

Then I read here that the GOTY edition is on the way....

Welp. Guess I'll wait and get Divinity Original Sin instead. Wait, that's getting updated later as well?

Welp. Good time to start Icewind Dale EE I suppose.

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.

Givin posted:

Pillars of Eternity bugged out on me at Raedric's Hold and I didn't feel like making a new character for another play through so I figured I'd wait till it's patched to pick it back up. In the meantime I was going to pick this up.

Then I read here that the GOTY edition is on the way....

Welp. Guess I'll wait and get Divinity Original Sin instead. Wait, that's getting updated later as well?

Welp. Good time to start Icewind Dale EE I suppose.

Have you played Shadowrun Returns: Dragonfall? If not, rectify.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
I wonder what type of changes we'll see to combat with the GOTY thing

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Ahundredbux posted:

I wonder what type of changes we'll see to combat with the GOTY thing
Finally, real time with pause

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

I just want a more sane stat and skill distribution. That's p much it. They could downgrade the graphics back to wasteland 1, which would be kinda cool, really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Great Rumbler posted:

Have you played Shadowrun Returns: Dragonfall? If not, rectify.

This is a good choice.

• Locked thread