Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

I like metroidvanias, which other ones are good?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Shantae.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Crazy Achmed posted:

Mostly just the Castlevania games on the GBA/DS

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

What are the pros and cons of adventures of van helsing II vs. torchlight II? Grim dawn has me looking at ARPGs again so I want to try one that's not early access. No I will not play diablo 3.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Gestalt Intellect posted:

What are the pros and cons of adventures of van helsing II vs. torchlight II? Grim dawn has me looking at ARPGs again so I want to try one that's not early access. No I will not play diablo 3.

Torchlight 2's loving boring as poo poo. Van Helsing 2 is pretty cool.

Van Helsing is a great one and done (although it's built to be played twice through) arpg. Pretty high quality. Interesting and amusing at times banter between your characters. Some amount of other genres mixed into it, too - tower defense like Orcs Must Die - if you want to (it's not mandatory, but it is kinda fun).

Torchlight feels like a lovely MMO.

I have Grim Dawn's beta but haven't played since they first released it. It was pretty drat good even way back when.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Torchlight 2 is good and gives me all the good vibes of diablo 2 but with a different aesthetic and as a new game.

Torchlight series is pretty blatant with being a diablo-like and that's fine with me. It's good and runs well even on weak systems and there are plenty of fun mods for 2 too.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

sauer kraut posted:

Is that for the print edition or on their website? I can't find anything about it.

Best with Chrome's auto translate - make an account, then go to cdaction.pl/seriale and click em and they'll be emailed to you.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Crazy Achmed posted:

Great:
Magicians & Looters
Super Panda Adventures
Strider

Good:
Rex Rocket
Castle in the Darkness
Guacamelee

OK:
Teslagrad
VVVVVV
Waking Mars
Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet

Bad:
Rogue Legacy
Dust
Valdis Story
UnEpic

Have Not Played:
Ori and the Blind Forest
Xeodrifter

There are others too like the bunny one, Apotheon, Super Win the Game, and Elliot Quest, I need to go on a Metroidvania shopping spree in the next Summer Sale.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Apr 3, 2015

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS
I only played the first Van Helsing.

As for Torchlight 2, it has random map generation... I think.
It's extremely moddable and has Steam Workshop. (Use mods.)
Runs on almost anything.

Vanilla Torchlight 2 is boring. (I played with some convenience mods like respec potions.)
It has big maps while your character moves around slowly. You better hope you find yourself a Haste spell, but even then, the traversal really needed to be fine tuned. Act 2 annoyed me greatly.
The skill trees are mundane percentage increases. There is a tier system which means for every 5 points, the skill is enhanced.
It doesn't have a good story, at all.

Look, I'd rather play vanilla Diablo 3 without the RoS expansion than play Torchlight 2 ever again. I tried to engage with it with two different classes and could not bring myself to finish the game.

The action-rpgs I had a good time with are -
Diablo 3 post 2.0 with the RoS expansion. Streamlined, but at least interesting with skills that can be swapped at any time.
Path of Exile despite how the rng looms over you and will giveth and taketh with crafting. The skill gem materia system always pulls me back in at some point.

They need to finish Grim Dawn. :colbert: But I'll continue to wait. (I'm pretty sure it'll be worth it.)

---
I enjoyed Rogue Legacy quite a bit. I do wish you had more choices in your offensive arsenal.
I also liked Dust: An Elysian Tale's combat. Just skip that horrendous story and grit your teeth for some spike sections.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Valdis Story is basically Muramasa: The Demon Blade with more talking then ten Bioware RPGs. It's so boring, it's the only game officially banned by the UN as torture.

salty fries make me cry
Oct 3, 2007

~~i'm outside ur window~~
~throwin bricks at teh moon~
I bought This War of Mine and it's really good but super dark. One of my guys got killed trying to steal food from someone's house because everyone was starving. The next night I tried with another guy to scavenge an abandoned school and killed two homeless guys to try to get to the food and had to run.

The guy that killed the homeless guys killed himself over having murdered people the next night while the last dude was scavenging. The last guy killed himself two days later because both his friends were dead and he was starving and exhausted.

I made it to day 12 and have a much better idea of what to focus on now so I'm gonna give it another go tomorrow.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

FirstAidKite posted:

Torchlight 2 is good and gives me all the good vibes of diablo 2 but with a different aesthetic and as a new game.

Torchlight series is pretty blatant with being a diablo-like and that's fine with me. It's good and runs well even on weak systems and there are plenty of fun mods for 2 too.
Torchlight 2 was great in the few years where Diablo 3 came out and poo poo itself. Too bad after RoS came out, they fixed everything and IMO they made the old D2 style of ARPG (which TL2 is) feel really outdated. Like, I don't want to do the dumb poo poo I had to do in diablo 2 with stuff like spells that needed 20 ranks into it and did fixed damage. Sorry, but making ability scale off gear and poo poo that Blizzard did in WoW/D3 is extremely smart. Sure, you can say that means they pared down the skill trees from D2 but let's be honest, you don't really use a lovely firebolt spell after you learn fireball (except when they added synergies in D2 1.1 or w/e to make you sink points into everything). The old system sucks now, at least for a game where you spend time grinding it out like in D2. It should be okay in something a little more limited (not sure if VH does it, but for TQ it's good).

At least now you can work on making every skill/rune interesting and since it scales off your gear there's never the problem where you outgear your class's signature abilities and just end up autoattacking or enemy damage outscales your defense buttons.

Although I have to admit Torchlight 2 did some cool stuff like the random map generator and poo poo but even that ended up essentially being copied for Reaper of Souls.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Sober posted:

Torchlight 2 was great in the few years where Diablo 3 came out and poo poo itself. Too bad after RoS came out, they fixed everything and IMO they made the old D2 style of ARPG (which TL2 is) feel really outdated. Like, I don't want to do the dumb poo poo I had to do in diablo 2 with stuff like spells that needed 20 ranks into it and did fixed damage. Sorry, but making ability scale off gear and poo poo that Blizzard did in WoW/D3 is extremely smart. Sure, you can say that means they pared down the skill trees from D2 but let's be honest, you don't really use a lovely firebolt spell after you learn fireball (except when they added synergies in D2 1.1 or w/e to make you sink points into everything). The old system sucks now, at least for a game where you spend time grinding it out like in D2. It should be okay in something a little more limited (not sure if VH does it, but for TQ it's good).

At least now you can work on making every skill/rune interesting and since it scales off your gear there's never the problem where you outgear your class's signature abilities and just end up autoattacking or enemy damage outscales your defense buttons.

Although I have to admit Torchlight 2 did some cool stuff like the random map generator and poo poo but even that ended up essentially being copied for Reaper of Souls.

I clicked on the enemies in torchlight 2 and they blew up

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

I highly recommend Path of Exile if you haven't tried it out yet. It has the best game mechanics out of all current ARPGs in my opinion, basically FF7's materia and FFX's grid system with an excellent economic system based on items used in crafting as currency instead of money. It's F2P with no pay2win at all. GGG is an excellent developer that listens well to the community to fix problems as best as they can and constantly releases new skills and content. In fact, they'll release an entire new act soon, probably in the next 1 to 2 months (no official release date yet).

It's made by a relatively small New Zealand studio, so the production values obviously can't compare to Diablo 3, It's not a 'casual' game by any means and can be somewhat hard for newcomers to get into, though they've improved a lot on that front, so if you don't have a decent amount of spare time you might want to play something else. This game has desync because the devs want to ensure there's no cheating by handling all decisions server-side, which can be annoying.

Anyway, it's F2P so no harm in trying it out.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Drifter posted:

Math nerds, how do you read graphs with an X axis and both a left and right positive Y axis?
http://steamspy.com/app/291650
There's two graphs there, one's a line and one's a bar, looks like.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I considered path of exile but I read a lot of people say it becomes hopeless grinding at the high levels and they had to trade for things because the drop rates were so bad that the game only gave them garbage gear and they had no other choice. I am definitely avoiding anything where grinding/farming becomes a necessity.

My main worry about torchlight 2 is that I tried the first one years ago and got bored to death within a few hours. Due to mods and more varied content I was hoping torchlight 2 would be different but the problem is I can't really pin down why torchlight 1 bored me so much but grim dawn doesn't. Although I can at least say grim dawn's presentation is really good and that goes a long way toward keeping my interest. It's also more challenging than what I experienced of torchlight 1, which I felt like I could play with my eyes closed.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Say what you want, the Van Helsings' are much more full-bodied 'games' whereas Torchlight just feels like a fuckin' ambulatory cookieclicker-esque process. You could even try Dungeon Siege 3 on the hardest difficulty if you want an arpg-but-not-(but really).

If you're gonna play a game for 300 hours and bemoan the fact that you can't spend another 300 delving for that one extra purple piece of gear then go get Torchlight.

Zereth posted:

There's two graphs there, one's a line and one's a bar, looks like.

Haha noscript had kept it from mousing over and the graphs being labeled. :saddowns:

Drifter fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Apr 3, 2015

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

I considered path of exile but I read a lot of people say it becomes hopeless grinding at the high levels and they had to trade for things because the drop rates were so bad that the game only gave them garbage gear and they had no other choice. I am definitely avoiding anything where grinding/farming becomes a necessity.

My main worry about torchlight 2 is that I tried the first one years ago and got bored to death within a few hours. Due to mods and more varied content I was hoping torchlight 2 would be different but the problem is I can't really pin down why torchlight 1 bored me so much but grim dawn doesn't. Although I can at least say grim dawn's presentation is really good and that goes a long way toward keeping my interest. It's also more challenging than what I experienced of torchlight 1, which I felt like I could play with my eyes closed.

Could've been cause Torchlight 1 was literally more Diablo 1.

Gentleman Baller
Oct 13, 2013

The trading system in this game is exceptionally good and unless you're starting a league on day 1 and powering through it at the speed of light you're easily going to get enough currency to buy/craft the gear to get you through the game even if you don't sell your own stuff to players. That's also ignoring the stuff you can just get from the guild bank if you join the goon guild.

I'm usually not a fan of these things but I'd honestly say that trading and crafting are two of PoE's biggest selling points, so hearing this is strange.

saucerman
Mar 20, 2009

Quest For Glory II posted:

Bad:
Rogue Legacy
Dust
Valdis Story
UnEpic

The only bad thing I (repeatedly) read about Dust is that there are furry characters. And Rogue Legacy is pretty good, actually, I don't know why you consider that one bad (and say what you will about Steam reviews but 95% of the almost 10,000 reviews are positive which is probably no accident).

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

Slime TrainerS

Gentleman Baller posted:

The trading system in this game is exceptionally good and unless you're starting a league on day 1 and powering through it at the speed of light you're easily going to get enough currency to buy/craft the gear to get you through the game even if you don't sell your own stuff to players. That's also ignoring the stuff you can just get from the guild bank if you join the goon guild.

I'm usually not a fan of these things but I'd honestly say that trading and crafting are two of PoE's biggest selling points, so hearing this is strange.

The crafting depends far, far, far, far too much on praying to the dice. The trading's fine. Joining a guild also helps keep one protected from gear drought.

Edit: One of the major selling points of PoE I'd add is how you can have customized builds. I make characters based on themes. Having a Shadow that can attack six times per second with one of his skills and stay alive is pretty fun.

Jamfrost fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Apr 3, 2015

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I consider Rogue Legacy bad because I played it and found it very unenjoyable, from the floaty jumping to the lovely combat to the boring rear end room layouts. It's one of the few games I bought at launch that taught me a valuable lesson about buying games at launch. In my defense, there were not as many Metroidvanias on Steam at the time as there are now. I was starvin' for it. Starvin!!!

Lady Morgaga
Aug 27, 2012

by Smythe
Path of Exile has the worst final boss fight I ever had displeasure to experience.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

FirstAidKite posted:

Could've been cause Torchlight 1 was literally more Diablo 1.

My favorite part of Torchlight 1 is how they didn't even try to disguise the music as being just remixed Diablo music, especially the town music.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

Slime TrainerS

Shima Honnou posted:

My favorite part of Torchlight 1 is how they didn't even try to disguise the music as being just remixed Diablo music, especially the town music.

It better sound similar to Tristam if they hired Matt Uelmen. Or else.

tinaun
Jun 9, 2011

tell me...
Yeah, rogue legacy was one of the few times a hyped indie game fell completely flat for me. I loved braid, fez, etc., but just found rogue legacy to be... boring and mediocre.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Jamfrost posted:

It better sound similar to Tristam if they hired Matt Uelmen. Or else.

Shima Honnou posted:

Hell yeah

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXI8v6Dw19k
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-Sy9zaLOG4

Damned near everything with the plot follows the same stuff as Diablo. It's pretty clear that Torchlight is just a big ol' sendup of Diablo but with a different aesthetic. Torchlight is 3 people journeying under the town of torchlight and finding all kinds of crazy poo poo and destroying an evil creature at the end, then torchlight 2 has one of said main characters becoming the new main bad guy after being possessed and destroying Torchlight so you end up having to go chase him down as he goes from place to place loving poo poo up. It's amazing how blatant it is.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW
Im bad at platformers and stuff but Magicians And Looters is pretty great game

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

saucerman posted:

The only bad thing I (repeatedly) read about Dust is that there are furry characters. And Rogue Legacy is pretty good, actually, I don't know why you consider that one bad (and say what you will about Steam reviews but 95% of the almost 10,000 reviews are positive which is probably no accident).
It has a terrible story and writing all around. It's still pretty fun to play, if you don't mind the fact there's no challenge at any point whatsoever.
Also, character art is full uncanny valley all the time. Environments are gorgeous, though.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

RBA Starblade posted:

The gameplay is the definition of mediocre. The sound effects are from a really lovely stock library too. Don't buy Unepic.
I think you're being way too generous. I've said it before and I'll say it again, Unepic's controls are horrendous. They aren't even "well it's part of the challenge" unwieldy, they're just "I want to suplex the guy who thought this was good game design, and then I want to suplex everyone in his family because they raised him to think that this was acceptable." When your game has pixel-perfect jumps that have no element of challenge (they're in safe spots, just literally pixel perfect--you need to have the exact forward momentum and jump height and jumping point--and the only way forward), you've gone way beyond the realm of mediocrity.

And if the terrible stock sound effects weren't bad enough, the one music track it does have (the boss music) doesn't even loop :downs:

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

saucerman posted:

Dust is pretty but shallow. While I did enjoy some of it outside of bosses and a few specific enemies the combat is nothing but an excuse for the player to build as high as combo as possible against enemies that pose absolutely 0 threat - all you do is dive into a group of them while using your tornado attack and you win. If you're not interested in getting some 500 hit combo then the combat just doesn't hold interest.

I wouldn't call it the worst Metroidvania game I've ever played but it seems all the production went into the backgrounds and animation.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...

Your loss?

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Crazy Achmed posted:

La Mulana is arguably a metroidvania, but it 's really loving difficult and you need to be good at thinking laterally to progress as some of the puzzles are pretty out there.

I recommend keeping a notebook with your notes in, mainly because it helps, partly because someone else reading it will think you're a schizophrenic.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
There is a sequence in La Mulana where you have to ride a falling platform down several screen lengths and then make an ALMOST blind jump over a spike pit to land on another falling platform (you can see a little bit of it poking out of the edge of the screen), then jump off of that falling platform to land on the other side of the pit you were trying to get across in the first place. It's a good game, but gently caress, man.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
La-Mulana is a game I have a hard time recommending to people but at the same time I'm glad that it exists. It's such a devilish but charming thing.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
God that game is such a bastard. I played through both the original and the remake and I liked them both a lot so I don't mean 'bastard' in a bad way, but I definitely feel bad for people who bought it not knowing what kind of game it was.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Diablo 3 after the expansion and patches leaves every other arpg in the dust so if you're refusing to play it because of some silly principle you're only missing out on the best game in the genre on the market.

EightDeer
Dec 2, 2011

Palpek posted:

Diablo 3 after the expansion and patches leaves every other arpg in the dust so if you're refusing to play it because of some silly principle you're only missing out on the best game in the genre on the market.

why_gaming_boycotts_never_work.txt

Seriously, has everyone forgotten that forcing single player games to be always-online is a bad thing no matter how good the game itself is?

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Dominic White posted:

Oh yeah, I just remembered that the excellent Running With Rifles is officially leaving early access and launching tomorrow. The current version up now (V0.99) is basically a final release candidate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1xpv-9AwPs

For those who haven't played it, imagine Cannon Fodder + Planetside. There's a three-way RTS war between AI factions across an open world map, with AI generals giving invasion orders and tons of AI soldiers, jeeps, tanks, etc running around. You play as a single soldier in the middle of it all controlled arcade-style. Kill enough enemies and you get more perks like calling in artillery strikes or leading your own squad.

It's consistently fun in singleplayer (you can customize the campaign a lot, too), but it's even cooler in multiplayer where you either have all the players on one side against an overwhelmingly huge AI army, or split between the three armies for PvP antics. Been a joy to see this one grow over time. The entire development team is one dude who has been bashing away at it for years. Feels like a real labor of love.
I tried out the demo. Seems pretty cool, but I guess it's supposed to be rather grindy? And I guess XP isn't persistent and all that? Either way it seems like a less frustrating BF3/4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

EightDeer posted:

why_gaming_boycotts_never_work.txt

Seriously, has everyone forgotten that forcing single player games to be always-online is a bad thing no matter how good the game itself is?

It's a bad thing but not bad enough to actually make me care much.

Play Diablo 3, it's real good.

• Locked thread