Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

I've been a busy bee:
Male portraits batch v3, now with some 61 portraits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gutrot
Dec 17, 2004

you're*

CompeAnansi posted:

On the topic of "how am I ever going to go back and replay Baulder's Gate after the QoL improvements in PoE", I never really got into D&D, so the mechanics are incredibly opaque to me. One of the great advances in Pillars of Eternity for me is the use of a modern stat/damage/armor system. Does anyone know of a mod for the Baulder's Gate games that converts stuff like 2d6 + 1 into actual damage ranges and converts THAC0 into an equivalent non-insane armor number? Basically I want all the D&D mechanics hidden behind a more understandable set of numbers that are displayed on the character page. I looked for such a mod, but didn't find anything. Anyone got any suggestions other than "suck it up"?

Not sure if this is what you're after, but the Enhanced Editions of Icewind Dale and both Baldur's Gates display exactly what you need to hit and how much damage a successful hit will cause after all modifications from weapon proficiencies, weapon selection and any buffs are applied. It'll also list everything that affects these values next to the final tally, so you can try swapping out different weapons or judging the effects of stacking various enhancements such as potions and applying scrolls.This is probably best illustrated rather than described:

In the above image, the number in the square tells you that the character will need to score 8 or more from a randomised number up to 20 each time they attack with this weapon. So it follows that the lower the number here the better, as it'll be further modified depending on the toughness of the creature being attacked.
The number in the circle is the possible range of values for damage that each successful hit will inflict. Big, big numbers are good here.

The text to the right of each value is how that number is derived. In this case, the character is pretty good with the weapon they're using, dropping the original score needed to hit, 14, by 3, and the weapon they're using is also powerful, dropping the number by 3 again.
This is displayed both on the character's record and in the inventory, so you immediately see the effect of swapping different weapons around as you do so.

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

WarLocke posted:

Try putting the Monk in heavy armor.

Seriously. You get a Wound for every X damage you take, but in my experience trying to go no/light armor just means you get knocked out before you can USE all the Wounds you've piled up. Heavier armor slows Wound generation but you're still auto-attacking the whole time and you stay up longer.

This is correct. Take two weapon focus to attack faster, this will offset heavy armor penalty. Monks take a while to get rolling, but then become murder machines.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

WarLocke posted:

That table makes Sabres seem pretty decent, at least if you're going Ruffian Proficiency for Pistol or Blunderbuss. Even the Stiletto's DR bypass only brings it up to effectively 11-15 which is still worse than Sabres.

Sabre/Stiletto/Pistol would make for a pretty swashbuckling Rogue setup I think.

e: Oh, all these random notes and books I'm finding, it's safe to just stash them, right? I'm not going to miss out on a sidequest because I need Ragged Note X in my inventory when I talk to Innocuous NPC Y to trigger a quest dialog option?

Well no, because Sabres are Average speed and Stiletttos are Fast speed and Slashing is a much worse damage type than Piercing. There's a reason why Sabres are being buffed, it's cause they're the worst weapon in the game.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

WarLocke posted:

That table makes Sabres seem pretty decent, at least if you're going Ruffian Proficiency for Pistol or Blunderbuss. Even the Stiletto's DR bypass only brings it up to effectively 11-15 which is still worse than Sabres.

Sabre/Stiletto/Pistol would make for a pretty swashbuckling Rogue setup I think.

e: Oh, all these random notes and books I'm finding, it's safe to just stash them, right? I'm not going to miss out on a sidequest because I need Ragged Note X in my inventory when I talk to Innocuous NPC Y to trigger a quest dialog option?

My pirate background rogue uses a sabre and stiletto and opens combat with a sneaky pistol shot. He leads the party in damage by a considerable amount. He also leads the party in getting knocked the gently caress out. Circling around enemy lines to take out ranged enemies and magic users is very effective. Otherwise I have to make sure the enemies are blinded, flanked, or otherwise disabled.

His accuracy is so high right now that I'm trying a crit build using only 1 stiletto. The Lightning Grasp on Crit stiletto. It's very good. My accuracy is 70+ so I crit about 40% of the time against low deflection enemies.

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination

Gutrot posted:

Not sure if this is what you're after, but the Enhanced Editions of Icewind Dale and both Baldur's Gates display exactly what you need to hit and how much damage a successful hit will cause after all modifications from weapon proficiencies, weapon selection and any buffs are applied.
[SNIP]
This is displayed both on the character's record and in the inventory, so you immediately see the effect of swapping different weapons around as you do so.

This is almost exactly what I was hoping for. Something to simplify the whole system. Too bad you can't use BGT with the enhanced editions.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I restarted on POTD with a party of mostly my own creation (2 tanks, 2 damage melee, and a cipher PC), but I want to leave that sixth slot for companions. Can I just pull them in / out of my party to do their quests?

POTD isn't too bad so far, but drat I see why people were complaining about the spirits now.

Also, plate for everybody who is going anywhere near melee range seems to be the way to go.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Offkorn posted:

All the summoning items I've found have said something like "Requirement: 0 summoned creatures". Are they bugged or something?

That seems like a bug. I was able to tell her just fine after they were all dead. Though I talked to the ghost first, and it naturally started combat at the end of the conversation.

That just means you can't have already summoned creatures when you use that item. So you can't use one to get a beetle, then another to get blights, then another to...

Yeah, I talked to them first. Reloaded that room 3 times trying to find another solution, but nothing changed. No idea what's causing the bug.

ugh whatever jeez
Mar 19, 2009

Buglord
Finished game, ending was cool.

But unless I missed it somewhere the ending spoiled for me that Aloth was working for Thaos? What the heck. I didn't have him in my party and didn't finish his quest either.

kapsas
May 18, 2009
Is the Tidefall greatsword in the cave where you kill Cail the Silent dragon? . I remember reading this in this thread a few days ago but maybe my memory is playing tricks.

Pigbottom
Sep 23, 2007

Time is never wasted when you're wasted all the time.
I came back from a trip dreaming about playing the game, but given my addiction to quicksaves I always end up accidentaly saving the game in a place I wasn`t supposed to. I guess I`ll end up waiting for the patch.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
So when they say the patch is coming out tonight, do they mean tonight in North America or tonight in European time? I'm wondering because I thought Paradox did some QA for this game.

Monster Mash
Sep 11, 2001

What would be the best weapon for Eder if he's my primary tank with a shield? I was thinking about buying the warhammer in Defiance Bay that adds +1 to max encounter for 5 guys max but considering that the enemy models can't really fit 5 around him it seemed pointless.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

SunAndSpring posted:

So when they say the patch is coming out tonight, do they mean tonight in North America or tonight in European time? I'm wondering because I thought Paradox did some QA for this game.

The Devs live and work in California.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Monster Mash posted:

What would be the best weapon for Eder if he's my primary tank with a shield? I was thinking about buying the warhammer in Defiance Bay that adds +1 to max encounter for 5 guys max but considering that the enemy models can't really fit 5 around him it seemed pointless.

If you're gonna side with the Crucible Knights, you get a really nice sword that gives bonus accuracy to allies who are attacking the same target he is. I had that thing the entire game and it was great using it in tandem with a backstabbing rogue.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

My PC is a fighter and I roll with Eder, Kana, Aloth, Durance, and a Rogue adventurer. Kana has an enchanted Exceptional Arquebus, Aloth has a named pistol, and and the rogue has an exceptional pistol. With Kana's reload spell I can dominate just about any fight and explode trash packs into gibs in a very short amount of time. This is all on normal, but I am thinking about upping the difficulty although I really am enjoying the story either way.

Edit: Just got another named pistol (St. Garam's Spark) for completing the Heritage Hill quest. That +10 accuracy granted to ally attacking the same target is really tasty.

If the fight actually is a challenge I just use a crapload of summons. I would recommend anybody playing on harder difficulties pick these items up. I didn't write down where you get them from, sorry.

Bronze Horn Figurine
Summons (1) Animat

Obsidian Lamp Figurine
Summons (3) Shades
Everybody should pick this up. Shades are a lot easier to fight when you can summon (3) shades to your side

Ashwood Cameo Figurine
Summons (1) Delemgan

Iridescent Scarab Figurine
Summons (1) Adra Beetle

I picked these all up by the time I was halfway through act II. Combine all these with a (3) count summon from Kana with either his level 2 or lvl 3 spell and you can level the playing field against those really large packs and boss fights.

Lotish posted:

That just means you can't have already summoned creatures when you use that item. So you can't use one to get a beetle, then another to get blights, then another to...

Yeah, I talked to them first. Reloaded that room 3 times trying to find another solution, but nothing changed. No idea what's causing the bug.

This is on a per character basis though so you can still do mass summons as described above.

D-Pad fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Apr 3, 2015

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

AngryBooch posted:

His accuracy is so high right now that I'm trying a crit build using only 1 stiletto. The Lightning Grasp on Crit stiletto. It's very good. My accuracy is 70+ so I crit about 40% of the time against low deflection enemies.

Does that trigger on every crit, or just once per encounter? The info I've found on weapon procs is conflicting.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

SunAndSpring posted:

If you're gonna side with the Crucible Knights, you get a really nice sword that gives bonus accuracy to allies who are attacking the same target he is. I had that thing the entire game and it was great using it in tandem with a backstabbing rogue.

Ugh. This adds to my frustration that the CK will not work with you if you accept a job with the Dozens. I remember that the Dozens guy even said "this will probably piss off the Knights and the Doemenels," but I figured I'd have to actually do it before I'd get cut off. But it seems even just accepting the quest is enough. I hoped it'd be like having a quest to help Cass kill the Van Graffs and a quest to let the Van Graffs kill Cass in my log at the same time.

hatesfreedom
Feb 20, 2007

I make a profit of three and a quarter cents an egg by selling them for four and a quarter cents an egg to the people in Malta I buy them from for seven cents an egg. Of course, I don't make the profit. The syndicate makes the profit. And everybody has a share.
Fun game, I very much enjoyed playing it. Any recommendations I could make would be only based on the predication that I am the lazy gamer. I.e. I only wanna have to control my guy, everybody else can go piss off to AI land.

Good work to whoever worked on it, it's a really solid little package. Between this and Inquisition I've had a pretty decent RPG experience these last many months.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

D-Pad posted:

This is on a per character basis though so you can still do mass summons as described above.
Summons definitely seem amazing but I am disappointed that you can't hotkey summon items :(

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.

SunAndSpring posted:

Where did you read this anyway? All I've seen is "within the next couple of days".

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
Also, having seen the VA credits, I now know why I thought Eder was Troy Baker for the longest time. He's voiced by Matthew Mercer, who replaced Troy to play Kanji in the Persona series after Troy got big.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Bhodi posted:

Summons definitely seem amazing but I am disappointed that you can't hotkey summon items :(

What do you mean? All these items go in your quickslots.

DeepQantas
Jan 13, 2008

Ah, to be a Hero... Keeping such company...

Phenotype posted:

There's not, because the game is inextricably tied to the 2.5 DnD ruleset. But thac0 is not really that complicated. Everything is resolved by rolling a d20. Thac0 is To Hit Armor Class 0--if your thac0 is 10, then you need to roll a ten or higher to hit. If the enemy's AC is higher than 0, then you add it to your roll--you need an 8 to hit AC 2 with a thac0 of 10, and likewise an AC of -2 would require you to roll a 12.
What a mess. Here's a better explanation:

AC = Defender's clumsiness value
Thac0 = Attacker's sword rustiness

If d20 + AC >= Thac0, then the defender trips and falls on the sword.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

D-Pad posted:

What do you mean? All these items go in your quickslots.
I put it in my quickslot and mouseover and hit a key on the main screen and nothing happens (???)

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Bhodi posted:

I put it in my quickslot and mouseover and hit a key on the main screen and nothing happens (???)

Ctrl-whatever is what you need to do, if I remember correctly.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Bhodi posted:

You have to target either yourself or an enemy depending on the item or summon spell.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Is it just me or does the Barbarian Fury ability not hide Health/Endurance like it says it does?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

WarLocke posted:

Is it just me or does the Barbarian Fury ability not hide Health/Endurance like it says it does?

Someone mentioned, and showed with a screenshot, that it didn't if you had numbers set to display.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Drifter posted:

Someone mentioned, and showed with a screenshot, that it didn't if you had numbers set to display.

I wonder if that's an oversight.

The yell doesn't seem all that impressive, and Fury would easily be the better choice IMO other than the whole 'no idea if you're gonna die' thing.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Wildtortilla posted:

I believe this is what you're after: http://i.imgur.com/gBIkn3T.jpg

Ta.

Alright, so, I did a thing! I finished the game yesterday (very good yes 9/10 would replay), and decided to pull the numbers out of my bestiary and make this:

This is every enemy type in there, or at least the ones I encountered, sorted by "type" (I can't find the actual types as per Slaying bonuses listed anywhere, though some of them are obvious). The "Best" column lists the critter's best defences, the ones you should avoid targeting. The "Worst" column lists its worst, which are the ones you want to hit for massive damage. The Disadv and Adv columns note the difference between the baseline and the best and worst defences, respectively; Diff is the difference between the best and the worst. Finally, the Estoc/Stiletto/Mace OK columns tell you whether the DR bypass from those weapon types is worth more than the penalty for not targeting a weakness, i.e. whether it's worth switching (FALSE for switch, TRUE for don't). It's better to stick with the Estoc in a surprisingly large number of cases.

So:

Animats want to be hit for Shock damage and penalised sword users.
Flesh Constructs are their own weird little thing, notable solely in that they're the only enemy to penalised pollaxes.
Your basic or garden variety Beast doesn't care about anything in particular.
Beetles are all their own peculiar little thing, though you can't go wrong with Crush.
Blights are likewise varied, though most of them share a Freeze vulnerability (why is this group so irregular?)
Those off-brand Dryad things I didn't kill enough of to say for sure, but none of them appear to resist anything, at least.
As you'd expect, your standard-issue Dragon is strongly resistant to Burn; less obviously, they're vulnerable to Pierce attacks.
Swamp Lurkers you want to cut up, and Forest Lurkers you need to set on fire.
Ogres are sort of weird, they resist Freeze and are vulnerable to Corrode. Because they have tough skin, maybe?
Black Oozes are weak to Freeze; Swamp Slimes Burn.
Skuldrs are like the Beasts (do they count as Beasts, actually?), they're just a big ball of endurance.
Spiders, like Beetles, vary by subtype, but there's nothing there that wouldn't be hosed up by a Fan of Flames.
Spirits are mostly vulnerable to Burn and resistant to Freeze; Shadows (the black ones) are additionally resistant to Shock.
Cean Gwlas (Ceans Gwla?) and Wisps (are these actually spirits) resist nothing in particular.
Spore plants share the Ogres' resistance/vulnerability to Freeze and Corrode; they are also resistant to Crush and weak to Slash- except for the Swamp Spore, which resists Slash and is weak to Pierce. Because there's nothing like a game teaching you a thing and then loving you with it without warning. SAWYERRRRRR! :argh:
Trolls are resistant to Crush and, per DnD, vulnerable to fire and acid.
Of the Vessels: for the most part, the undead in this game are not vulnerable to Burn. Do not kill it with fire, kill it with hammers instead. They also have the same resistance to cold that spirits do. The resists for the skellies are highly irregular, but generally they resist Slash are are weak to Crush. Undead in armour (Death Guards, Human Skeletons and Skeletal Fighters) also have, uniquely, triple resists: Slash, Pierce and Freeze. If there is a sword in the game with a freezing lash, these were designed to hose it.
Vithracks and Wichts are both resistless, thank Christ.
Finally, Xaurips are all resistant to Freeze.

I also pulled the numbers on enemy prevelance and their raw endurance:

This is, the number of enemies of a particular type I killed. I played on normal, and I think I killed basically everything there was to kill, but I can't say for certain. Total E is the total quantity of endurance destroyed belonging to that enemy type. %D and %E are the quantity of that type killed/endurance destroyed as a % of all enemies killed/endurance destroyed, respectively. ...but only of the types that get bestiary entries. Kith don't.

Finally, I took a look at each damage type in context, trying to figure out if any was more useful than any other. I also examined the composite damage types for the "best of" weapons.

as a % of monster types
Burn: resistant to: 7.50%, vulnerable to: 23.75% (difference: 16.25%)
Crush: resistant to: 7.50%, vulnerable to: 20.00% (difference: 12.50%)
Corrode: resistant to: 6.25%, vulnerable to: 13.75% (difference: 7.50%)
Pierce: resistant to: 15.00%, vulnerable to: 12.50% (difference: -2.50%)
Freeze: resistant to: 23.75%, vulnerable to: 21.25% (difference: -2.50%)
Shock: resistant to: 10.00%, vulnerable to: 2.50 % (difference: -7.50%)
Slash: resistant to: 21.25%, vulnerable to: 6.25% (difference: -15.00%)

where "advantage" indicates that it is better to have one of these than a monotyped weapon:
Slash/Crush: both resisted: 1.25%, advantage: 15.00%
Slash/Pierce: both resisted: 7.50%, advantage: 16.25%
Crush/Pierce: both resisted: 0.00%, advantage: 21.25%

as a % of all monsters killed
Burn: resistant to: 4.38%, vulnerable to: 27.42% (difference: 23.04%)
Crush: resistant to: 6.41%, vulnerable to: 15.25% (difference: 8.84%)
Corrode: resistant to: 5.04%, vulnerable to: 12.83% (difference: 7.79%)
Freeze: resistant to: 25.46%, vulnerable to: 21.14% (difference: -4.32%)
Shock: resistant to: 9.82%, vulnerable to: 4.48 % (difference: -4.97%)
Pierce: resistant to: 16.62%, vulnerable to: 8.97% (difference: -7.66%)
Slash: resistant to: 21.86%, vulnerable to: 4.78% (difference: -17.08%)

where "advantage" indicates that it is better to have one of these than a monotyped weapon:
Slash/Crush: both resisted: 0.52%, advantage: 33.38%
Slash/Pierce: both resisted: 9.16%, advantage: 31.87%
Crush/Pierce: both resisted: 0.00%, advantage: 35.27%

as a % of all endurance destroyed
Burn: resistant to: 4.46%, vulnerable to: 28.41% (difference: 23.95%)
Corrode: resistant to: 4.63%, vulnerable to: 20.31% (difference: 15.68%)
Crush: resistant to: 11.29%, vulnerable to: 10.72% (difference: -0.57%)
Shock: resistant to: 7.63%, vulnerable to: 4.30 % (difference: -3.33%)
Pierce: resistant to: 14.89%, vulnerable to: 10.34% (difference: -4.56%)
Freeze: resistant to: 24.49%, vulnerable to: 16.30% (difference: -8.20%)
Slash: resistant to: 18.58%, vulnerable to: 5.43% (difference: -13.15%)

where "advantage" indicates that it is better to have one of these than a weapon in any one of the two types:
Slash/Crush: both resisted: 0.92%, advantage: 32.98%
Slash/Pierce: both resisted: 7.45%, advantage: 31.81%
Crush/Pierce: both resisted: 0.00%, advantage: 38.99%

So, as you can see, Burn is by far and away the best damage type to be dealing and Slash is by far the worst, while Freeze damage is high situational and Shock is mostly neutral everywhere. The three composite types seem to be balanced against each other, though I don't know how great an advantage not having to swap weapons a third of the time is compared to a DR bypass that applies every time.

Slash is actually so bad that I think it needs to be a vulnerability on unarmoured squishy things like Beasts, or just be given a higher base damage across the board.

tl;dr: use Fan of Flames and Pollaxes, like, all the goddamn time.

e: I may have made some errors transcribing the data. poo poo happens.

KOGAHAZAN!! fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Apr 3, 2015

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
This game looks really amazing but I'm kinda on the fence and not sure if its for me, somebody wanna push me over?

I liked Baldur's Gate but could never get really into it because I felt like managing a whole party of D&D characters, with stats and abilities and spells, and doing that all in real-time was just too stressful. I know you could pause in BG some, I don't think there was any fancy auto-pause back then? I can't remember. Either way, while I appreciated the game I didn't ever get very far.

Meanwhile I love RPGs like Mass Effect or KOTOR or Final Fantasy XII where I just kinda play the main character, and I have all kinds of RPG stuff for my guy, but the other allies are mostly AI controlled. Or games that are just strictly single character RPGs.

I also never liked the grid based party games like Legend of Grimrock, having 4 people standing together and attacking just felt weird.

So basically the game world and art and lore of Pillars really appeals to me, how is the combat? Is the "slow" option and the ability to pause good enough to turn this into something like XCOM or Divinity: Original Sin, or no? Is it viable to pause on absolutely every turn or is that going to feel slow and frustrating or what? Can I mostly let my allies control themselves and play the main character only?

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Autonomous Monster posted:

Ta.

Alright, so, I did a thing! I finished the game yesterday (very good yes 9/10 would replay), and decided to pull the numbers out of my bestiary and make this:

This is every enemy type in there, or at least the ones I encountered, sorted by "type" (I can't find the actual types as per Slaying bonuses listed anywhere, though some of them are obvious). The "Best" column lists the critter's best defences, the ones you should avoid targeting. The "Worst" column lists its worst, which are the ones you want to hit for massive damage. The Disadv and Adv columns note the difference between the baseline and the best and worst defences, respectively; Diff is the difference between the best and the worst. Finally, the Estoc/Stiletto/Mace OK columns tell you whether the DR bypass from those weapon types is worth more than the penalty for not targeting a weakness, i.e. whether it's worth switching (FALSE for switch, TRUE for don't). It's better to stick with the Estoc in a surprisingly large number of cases.

So:

Animats want to be hit for Shock damage and penalised sword users.
Flesh Constructs are their own weird little thing, notable solely in that they're the only enemy to penalised pollaxes.
Your basic or garden variety Beast doesn't care about anything in particular.
Beetles are all their own peculiar little thing, though you can't go wrong with Crush.
Blights are likewise varied, though most of them share a Freeze vulnerability (why is this group so irregular?)
Those off-brand Dryad things I didn't kill enough of to say for sure, but none of them appear to resist anything, at least.
As you'd expect, your standard-issue Dragon is strongly resistant to Burn; less obviously, they're vulnerable to Pierce attacks.
Swamp Lurkers you want to cut up, and Forest Lurkers you need to set on fire.
Ogres are sort of weird, they resist Freeze and are vulnerable to Corrode. Because they have tough skin, maybe?
Black Oozes are weak to Freeze; Swamp Slimes Burn.
Skuldrs are like the Beasts (do they count as Beasts, actually?), they're just a big ball of endurance.
Spiders, like Beetles, vary by subtype, but there's nothing there that wouldn't be hosed up by a Fan of Flames.
Spirits are mostly vulnerable to Burn and resistant to Freeze; Shadows (the black ones) are additionally resistant to Shock.
Cean Gwlas (Ceans Gwla?) and Wisps (are these actually spirits) resist nothing in particular.
Spore plants share the Ogres' resistance/vulnerability to Freeze and Corrode; they are also resistant to Crush and weak to Slash- except for the Swamp Spore, which resists Slash and is weak to Pierce. Because there's nothing like a game teaching you a thing and then loving you with it without warning. SAWYERRRRRR! :argh:
Trolls are resistant to Crush and, per DnD, vulnerable to fire and acid.
Of the Vessels: for the most part, the undead in this game are not vulnerable to Burn. Do not kill it with fire, kill it with hammers instead. They also have the same resistance to cold that spirits do. The resists for the skellies are highly irregular, but generally they resist Slash are are weak to Crush. Undead in armour (Death Guards, Human Skeletons and Skeletal Fighters) also have, uniquely, triple resists: Slash, Pierce and Freeze. If there is a sword in the game with a freezing lash, these were designed to hose it.
Vithracks and Wichts are both resistless, thank Christ.
Finally, Xaurips are all resistant to Freeze.

I also pulled the numbers on enemy prevelance and their raw endurance:

This is, the number of enemies of a particular type I killed. I played on normal, and I think I killed basically everything there was to kill, but I can't say for certain. Total E is the total quantity of endurance destroyed belonging to that enemy type. %D and %E are the quantity of that type killed/endurance destroyed as a % of all enemies killed/endurance destroyed, respectively. ...but only of the types that get bestiary entries. Kith don't.

Finally, I took a look at each damage type in context, trying to figure out if any was more useful than any other. I also examined the composite damage types for the "best of" weapons.

as a % of monster types
Burn: resistant to: 7.50%, vulnerable to: 23.75% (difference: 16.25%)
Crush: resistant to: 7.50%, vulnerable to: 20.00% (difference: 12.50%)
Corrode: resistant to: 6.25%, vulnerable to: 13.75% (difference: 7.50%)
Pierce: resistant to: 15.00%, vulnerable to: 12.50% (difference: -2.50%)
Freeze: resistant to: 23.75%, vulnerable to: 21.25% (difference: -2.50%)
Shock: resistant to: 10.00%, vulnerable to: 2.50 % (difference: -7.50%)
Slash: resistant to: 21.25%, vulnerable to: 6.25% (difference: -15.00%)

Slash/Crush: both resisted: 1.25%, advantage: 15.00%
Slash/Pierce: both resisted: 7.50%, advantage: 16.25%
Crush/Pierce: both resisted: 0.00%, advantage: 21.25%

as a % of all monsters killed
Burn: resistant to: 4.38%, vulnerable to: 27.42% (difference: 23.04%)
Crush: resistant to: 6.41%, vulnerable to: 15.25% (difference: 8.84%)
Corrode: resistant to: 5.04%, vulnerable to: 12.83% (difference: 7.79%)
Freeze: resistant to: 25.46%, vulnerable to: 21.14% (difference: -4.32%)
Shock: resistant to: 9.82%, vulnerable to: 4.48 % (difference: -4.97%)
Pierce: resistant to: 16.62%, vulnerable to: 8.97% (difference: -7.66%)
Slash: resistant to: 21.86%, vulnerable to: 4.78% (difference: -17.08%)

Slash/Crush: both resisted: 0.52%, advantage: 33.38%
Slash/Pierce: both resisted: 9.16%, advantage: 31.87%
Crush/Pierce: both resisted: 0.00%, advantage: 35.27%

as a % of all endurance destroyed
Burn: resistant to: 4.46%, vulnerable to: 28.41% (difference: 23.95%)
Corrode: resistant to: 4.63%, vulnerable to: 20.31% (difference: 15.68%)
Crush: resistant to: 11.29%, vulnerable to: 10.72% (difference: -0.57%)
Shock: resistant to: 7.63%, vulnerable to: 4.30 % (difference: -3.33%)
Pierce: resistant to: 14.89%, vulnerable to: 10.34% (difference: -4.56%)
Freeze: resistant to: 24.49%, vulnerable to: 16.30% (difference: -8.20%)
Slash: resistant to: 18.58%, vulnerable to: 5.43% (difference: -13.15%)

where "advantage" indicates that it is better to have one of these than a weapon in any one of the two types:
Slash/Crush: both resisted: 0.92%, advantage: 32.98%
Slash/Pierce: both resisted: 7.45%, advantage: 31.81%
Crush/Pierce: both resisted: 0.00%, advantage: 38.99%

So, as you can see, Burn is by far and away the best damage type to be dealing and Slash is by far the worst, while Freeze damage is high situational and Shock is mostly neutral everywhere. The three composite types seem to be balanced against each other, though I don't know how great an advantage not having to swap weapons a third of the time is compared to a DR bypass that applies every time.

Slash is actually so bad that I think it needs to be a vulnerability on unarmoured squishy things like Beasts, or just be given a higher base damage across the board.

tl;dr: use Fan of Flames and Pollaxes, like, all the goddamn time.

e: I may have made some errors transcribing the data. poo poo happens.

:goonsay:

Zaphod42 posted:

This game looks really amazing but I'm kinda on the fence and not sure if its for me, somebody wanna push me over?

I liked Baldur's Gate but could never get really into it because I felt like managing a whole party of D&D characters, with stats and abilities and spells, and doing that all in real-time was just too stressful. I know you could pause in BG some, I don't think there was any fancy auto-pause back then? I can't remember. Either way, while I appreciated the game I didn't ever get very far.

Meanwhile I love RPGs like Mass Effect or KOTOR or Final Fantasy XII where I just kinda play the main character, and I have all kinds of RPG stuff for my guy, but the other allies are mostly AI controlled. Or games that are just strictly single character RPGs.

I also never liked the grid based party games like Legend of Grimrock, having 4 people standing together and attacking just felt weird.

So basically the game world and art and lore of Pillars really appeals to me, how is the combat? Is the "slow" option and the ability to pause good enough to turn this into something like XCOM or Divinity: Original Sin, or no? Is it viable to pause on absolutely every turn or is that going to feel slow and frustrating or what? Can I mostly let my allies control themselves and play the main character only?

This game is Baldur's Gate as it should have been, without the shackles of grognardly DND rules. Not sure if that sells you on it but it is not turn based, expect to pause frequently. The slow option is very good though.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

kapsas posted:

Is the Tidefall greatsword in the cave where you kill Cail the Silent dragon? . I remember reading this in this thread a few days ago but maybe my memory is playing tricks.

Yes, but it's in a hidden spot that you need Mechanics 10 to find.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Hey man, now I know exactly what weapons to use and when. :colbert:

Until the next patch. :negative:

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

You're awesome.

You might want to rethink the Estoc/Stilletto/Mace columns though, you should probably only look at slash/pierce/crush damage types to determine those.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Zaphod42 posted:

With the autopause options set correctly, you can pretty much make this game play out as psuedo-turnbased.

You'll still have to control everyone, however - although, it'd be loosely similar to XCOM and Original Sin in that regard. This doesn't sound like it'd be a game you enjoy playing, given your examples. Legend of Grimrock is NOTHING like this game, playstyle or otherwise, though.

You CAN buy it on the cheap for $20usd at Nuuvem.com.br, if you are worrried about paying $50 bucks for a thing you may not like.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Section Z posted:

Wizards: I can cast this poo poo RIGHT NOW, how's it going Chanter?
Chanter: gently caress you, loving fucktity fuckc mcfuckfuck you, second verse, same as the first-
Wizard: Whoops fights over, I didn't even use a per rest spell.

That said, I'll probably stick with tiny body deathlike rogue on my patch start. My gimmicks will still be "I want to use one handed style :downs:" and "I didn't lower anything below an 8 :downs:"

What's wrong with not lowering anything below an 8?

I was told there would not be too much powergaming bullshit. Don't make me play this motherfucker on Easy. I've never played a game on Easy ever. :(

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Drifter posted:

Ctrl-whatever is what you need to do, if I remember correctly.

That's for setting character selects.

D-Pad posted:

You have to target either yourself or an enemy depending on the item or summon spell.

Err? This is what I'm talking about. It doesn't set / register. This is in combat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Drifter posted:

With the autopause options set correctly, you can pretty much make this game play out as psuedo-turnbased.

Yeah, with a combination of pause on action completion and pause on time (to manage people who are just autoattacking), it basically becomes phase based.

• Locked thread