Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

Ciaphas posted:

Launcher is fun yes but holy fuckin hell am I having a Bad Time against the Old Streets boss. At least one token a go.

Good thing his zone music and boss music rule the roost.

Wolfguy is dick but if you animate a puppet you can just sit back and shoot at him. That boss and the Survivor Chanel room are worth spending money or resources on puppets for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

MrBims posted:

Wolfguy is dick but if you animate a puppet you can just sit back and shoot at him. That boss and the Survivor Chanel room are worth spending money or resources on puppets for.

Amusingly I didn't have much trouble with Wolf guy on my launcher but he wreaked me a few times when I was going through him with my Rogue. Still getting back into the flow of how to fight jerks with Super Armor using her.

Crono S. Magnum
Feb 29, 2008

Ciaphas posted:

Launcher is fun yes but holy fuckin hell am I having a Bad Time against the Old Streets boss. At least one token a go.

Good thing his zone music and boss music rule the roost.

I've had a much easier time using APCs from my animator profession. They tend to draw the wolf head turret things away so I can charge my laser.

Jehuti
Nov 19, 2010
I don't know if cause im still learning but as a Rogue the dwarf boss of gold tunnels just wrecks my poo poo constantly. Once he takes off his armour and gets super armour constantly I just get destroyed.

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

We may have finally found unobtainium but I will never find eywa.

I used to play to play DFO a bit back during the Nexon days and had alot of fun playing a witch. I think the farthest I got was a little past the sky tower or whatever.

If I wanted to start playing again now, does the witch have enough new tricks to make playing the same character entertaining again, or should I try something else? I especially enjoyed the quirky PvE aspects of the witch and my fave moves were broom spin and maybe black manteau, so are there any other classes that can offer something like that?

Unoriginal One
Aug 5, 2008

Jehuti posted:

I don't know if cause im still learning but as a Rogue the dwarf boss of gold tunnels just wrecks my poo poo constantly. Once he takes off his armour and gets super armour constantly I just get destroyed.

Bait him into doing that back and forth charging attack and get out of the way, it has no y-axis movement and he's vulnerable when it ends.

Mavric
Dec 14, 2006

I said "this is going to be the most significant televisual event since Quantum Leap." And I do not say that lightly.

Ciaphas posted:

I keep getting bored of classes I'm trying before I even get them to 30, help :saddowns:

I've literally never rolled Ranger of either gender because of the +11 + weapon requirement and miserable leveling experience back in Nexon days. Are those still a thing? If not, is either gender better in any way?

I never played ranger back on Nexon, but I rolled one this time and so far I'm lvl 44 using purples that I've found on the ground and never upgraded. I've had zero problems murdering everything and sailing through content so idk if that will be an issue in the future but it sure doesn't look like it.

Raruna
Mar 30, 2010

Ciaphas posted:

I keep getting bored of classes I'm trying before I even get them to 30, help :saddowns:

I've literally never rolled Ranger of either gender because of the +11 + weapon requirement and miserable leveling experience back in Nexon days. Are those still a thing? If not, is either gender better in any way?

It's not a requirement anymore. If anything, it's only a "requirement" by very late game when EVERYONE is gonna start sporting hella upgraded equipment. Seriously, Rangers are awesome now. Female Ranger if you want to kick with the force of a loving hurricane(Veiled Cutter improves the poo poo out of your kicks) or if you want to be the fastest shootyman to ever exist while also stylishly cancelling between Shooting and Kicking skills. You also get some bonus crit chance with your awakening passive death mark, which is rather nice. It works really well at just lv1, so you don't have to worry about sinking SP into that and can instead spend your SP on other more relevant skills.

But ultimately: Play Ranger. It's in my opinion the most fun class in the game by nature of how flexible, fast and strong you are.

Edit: Also stack Physical Critical Hit on your Magic Sealed equipment, you can get that on all parts except maybe your accessories. Reaching 50%+ crit has never been this simple, and believe me, every point of Crit you get is a huge damage boost.

_jink
Jan 14, 2006

The Silver Snail posted:

I used to play to play DFO a bit back during the Nexon days and had alot of fun playing a witch. I think the farthest I got was a little past the sky tower or whatever.

If I wanted to start playing again now, does the witch have enough new tricks to make playing the same character entertaining again, or should I try something else? I especially enjoyed the quirky PvE aspects of the witch and my fave moves were broom spin and maybe black manteau, so are there any other classes that can offer something like that?

I'd go witch again if you enjoyed it. I'm not sure whats changed skill-wise, but there are free resets now, which is a godsend for witches (who used to be fairly easy to gently caress up).

if you like movement skills and grabs/i-frames you could check out striker/rogue/grappler as well

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012
I ran Fanatics so many times with a group of other Gunners and other ne'er-do-wells and that loving boss theme will never leave me. I did manage to score some sweet leather shoes out of the deal, but gently caress that place. Now I can move on to the next section of dungeons.

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

The Silver Snail posted:

I'd say play one again, if you only made it to Sky Tower then you haven't gotten any of the hilarious machines yet like Furnace or Drill Car or Collider so you haven't really gotten the full ~Witch Experience~, and if you were liking it already you'll probably only enjoy it more from there. Also, the class has improved significantly since the old days, especially once the cap is raised to 85 and we get their 2nd Awakening. Collider also makes a really good assist for your other characters.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

dromer posted:

Anyone have rogue tips? So far my standard plan of attack is enter room -> hurricane->hit end, then x->bandit cut, x->chainsaw, x->shining cut, repeat until done.

X->Rising Cut->aerial X>Diving Arrow for easy 3 cp. If the target is launchable, press Z while in the Diving Arrow animation to bounce him up for X->Shining Cut/Sword Dance/Bandit Cut etc.

Somefool
Feb 17, 2011

So this image randomly pops up in DnF at the end of a dungeon:

I would like to think their English translator went insane.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

Somefool posted:

So this image randomly pops up in DnF at the end of a dungeon:

I would like to think their English translator went insane.

In D&F, as in the korean version? Or GDFO?

A Meat
Jun 28, 2013

CERTIFIED FRESH AS HELL DOC MAKER

Man, Tower of the Dead is full of bullshit after like floor 40 or so, it becomes a reflex test whether you can escape from/kill/knock back the dudes who just want to combo you to hell as soon as the round starts.

Thankfully, it's actually kind of fun.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

A Meat posted:

Man, Tower of the Dead is full of bullshit after like floor 40 or so, it becomes a reflex test whether you can escape from/kill/knock back the dudes who just want to combo you to hell as soon as the round starts.

Unless you're an asura, in which case you just pop your cubes and instantly win.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.
As a glacial master, those floors begin with me crossing my fingers while I mash my teleport key into a plastic mess. It's a test of whether I or the enemy team is going to 100 to 0 the other side.

mightygerm
Jun 29, 2002

Wolpertinger posted:

Unless you're an asura, in which case you just pop your cubes and instantly win.

You dont even need cubes, honestly. I just got the achievement for not using any items in ToD on asura.

RGCrab
Aug 23, 2012

A Meat posted:

The place is seriously a blast as a witch. The upper floors are just me trying to get off a manteau before Springtime Hoy or Tornado Banham get started on me. The last few floors are intense.

I actually started keeping a rank in Dragon Fang when doing Towers, just because that gives great reach and hit stun with little start up, giving you time to check your situation better against the more combo happy NPCs.

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

RGCrab posted:

The place is seriously a blast as a witch. The upper floors are just me trying to get off a manteau before Springtime Hoy or Tornado Banham get started on me. The last few floors are intense.

I actually started keeping a rank in Dragon Fang when doing Towers, just because that gives great reach and hit stun with little start up, giving you time to check your situation better against the more combo happy NPCs.

What I do on Witch is save up cubes until the last 6 or 7 floors or so and just pop a machine on each floor immediately. Usually all it takes is one round of that and maybe a Jacky to kill anyone left over. By the time I've cycled through furnace/collider/ice car the cooldown is up on the first one again.

A Meat
Jun 28, 2013

CERTIFIED FRESH AS HELL DOC MAKER

Wolpertinger posted:

I am an asura, only I wasn't expecting to have my reflexes tested the first time through.

Just pop Wave Radiation and knock everyone back, but I kind of didn't know what to do the first time though.

Second time through was an easy clear, did use some cube accidentally.

Elswyyr
Mar 4, 2009
I finally found the class of my dreams, Monk, so now I need to choose a profession. Are any of them especially good for a main character?

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

Nothing better than swinging around a little girl like a flail.
You don't need them if you don't want to take any.

Seeric
Aug 18, 2011

Elswyyr posted:

I finally found the class of my dreams, Monk, so now I need to choose a profession. Are any of them especially good for a main character?

My recommendation would be to go with Alchemy. Enchanter and Animator are both very good professions, but can become extremely expensive to level; Disassembler is extremely useful, but it's also kinda dull and I always like to put it on my second character. Alchemy also can make a ton of good potions, and not just of the healing variety, and you can consistently make money on the cube conversion skills later on if you're willing to spend a lot of time with the auction house. Basically, Alchemy is relatively cheap, useful for all your characters, and can bring in a slow yet steady stream of profits later on.

Elswyyr
Mar 4, 2009
Should I disassemble in my Profession grinder, or in the ones Disassemblers set up?

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

It's really emasculating to watch an equal level Spitfire just decimate a boss that takes my F.Brawler three times as long to dent.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
In the grinder, usually.

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

Okay, aside from like 1 person since I know full well who their Main and Alt is- I'm kicking characters that haven't been listed online for the last 5 days. So any character that hasn't been on for 6 days or so will be kicked.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

InfinityComplex posted:

Okay, aside from like 1 person since I know full well who their Main and Alt is- I'm kicking characters that haven't been listed online for the last 5 days. So any character that hasn't been on for 6 days or so will be kicked.

Can you not kick Benedictus? I've been traveling.

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

Ah, sorry, when I was making that post I was already kicking everyone. I'll keep your character on hand for immediate re-invitation though.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Raruna posted:

It's not a requirement anymore. If anything, it's only a "requirement" by very late game when EVERYONE is gonna start sporting hella upgraded equipment. Seriously, Rangers are awesome now. Female Ranger if you want to kick with the force of a loving hurricane(Veiled Cutter improves the poo poo out of your kicks) or if you want to be the fastest shootyman to ever exist while also stylishly cancelling between Shooting and Kicking skills. You also get some bonus crit chance with your awakening passive death mark, which is rather nice. It works really well at just lv1, so you don't have to worry about sinking SP into that and can instead spend your SP on other more relevant skills.

But ultimately: Play Ranger. It's in my opinion the most fun class in the game by nature of how flexible, fast and strong you are.

Edit: Also stack Physical Critical Hit on your Magic Sealed equipment, you can get that on all parts except maybe your accessories. Reaching 50%+ crit has never been this simple, and believe me, every point of Crit you get is a huge damage boost.

So you recommend the female Ranger, then? Fine by me, means I would get to be :sparkles:the prettiest princess:sparkles: when avatars are available, but is there a lot of difference between them and their male counterparts?

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

Ibram Gaunt posted:

It's really emasculating to watch an equal level Spitfire just decimate a boss that takes my F.Brawler three times as long to dent.

What level? F.Brawler can poo poo on bosses pretty hard later on once they have their good skills.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Does it really matter though about the guild? I don't remember how many members a guild could have, but I remember it being almost unreasonably high.

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

Gologle posted:

Does it really matter though about the guild? I don't remember how many members a guild could have, but I remember it being almost unreasonably high.

The max amount of guild members you can have is 300 and it fills up rather fast since guild membership is character based and not account based.

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!
Female Rangers dont have Stylish

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST

Doublestep posted:

Female Rangers dont have Stylish

They have Twin Gunblade. :colbert:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5JaFklRwdq8

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

cathead posted:

What level? F.Brawler can poo poo on bosses pretty hard later on once they have their good skills.

I was level 26 at the time.

Raruna
Mar 30, 2010

Ciaphas posted:

So you recommend the female Ranger, then? Fine by me, means I would get to be :sparkles:the prettiest princess:sparkles: when avatars are available, but is there a lot of difference between them and their male counterparts?

Oh, sorry, I forgot to mention that everything AFTER the Veiled Cutter mention is about the Male Ranger. Their main differences are that female Multi Headshot is disgustingly powerful, the trade off being that her Gun Dance isn't nearly as incredible as the Male's Wild Shot.

The Male focuses more heavily on shooting, the female gets huge bonuses for her kicks. The Male is the one with the Stylish passive that allows him to cancel between kick and shooting skills. In the future the female will get a passive that puts her on par with him, since she currently lacks something to make up for her lack of Stylish.

Personally I find female ranger easier than the male.

Here, these two videos should show you what's in store once they implement the 2nd Awakenings:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UstmBGDGe2Y
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVQzc_rkGwE

The Male Ranger plays more or less the same, with the exception of the fancy Raven skills, the Female Ranger plays... really differently. She lacks the Chain Powder skill that allows her to modify skills to add a Gunblade effect to them, and her attacks work kinda differently.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-4s2f5u4q8
This is more or less how she plays nowadays, except she gets the Veiled Cutter bonus on every single one of her kicks, Multi Headshot was changed to 9 shots instead of 7 and her awakening is only the finisher of the old awakening now.

Raruna fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Apr 3, 2015

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I was level 26 at the time.

Oh yeah, you don't even have brick buster or mount at that point so I can see it feeling pretty crappy. It gets better pretty quickly from there though because you get a bunch of good damage and hold skills.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Thanks for all the great info! I'll probably give one of them a try tonight, after I run F. Brawler out of FP most likely.

(WHICH gender I want to try is still up in the air though. Seems they both have their own merits, besides the ladies still missing their second awakening for a while. :()

• Locked thread