Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Anything that's bourbon with added sugar isn't bourbon anymore but a liqueur. Bourbon has pretty strict laws regarding that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devoz
Nov 18, 2006
For those with larger whiskey/whisky collections, how do you pick what bottle to get next? As my collection grows, deciding what areas to expand on grows more difficult.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Devoz posted:

For those with larger whiskey/whisky collections, how do you pick what bottle to get next? As my collection grows, deciding what areas to expand on grows more difficult.

I have 2 bartenders I like and trust and tell them what I have at home and like and they usually line me up a few things to try. From that I'll usually decide what to look for next.

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Like all girls I love unicorns!

Devoz posted:

My wife has a crush on the whisk(e)y expert at the local bottle shop. Every time we go over there, we end up bringing home something good. This is in no way a complaint.

wontondestruction
Dec 3, 2012

I'm a piece of human waste who supports a culture of using gendered slurs, that leads to 78.1% of women in STEM fields experiencing sexual harassment
I am sipping Aberlour 12 for the first time, and I might have found my go-to Scotch. Medium on the peat (I think), not as sweet as Glenlivet (and more body) but has some fruit. All in all,
really good fwiw.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Devoz posted:

I live right by a huge whiskey bar that has half off whiskey Wednesdays. I just sit down, drink 4 or 5 new ones and see what sticks. I'm super lucky though.

RolandTower
Nov 19, 2003

Guns n' Roses n' Deus Ex Machina
Bleak Gremlin
Just got myself a bottle of Laphroaig 18yr and unnngh I think I just had a peatgasm. I love the 10 this is that with all the edges sanded down and wrapped in velvet. I'm sitting here smelling an empty glass 3 hours later and it's like hiking in the woods on a clear autumn day and catching the smell of burning leaves in a bonfire on the wind.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

wontondestruction posted:

I am sipping Aberlour 12 for the first time, and I might have found my go-to Scotch. Medium on the peat (I think), not as sweet as Glenlivet (and more body) but has some fruit. All in all,
really good fwiw.

It's low on the peat (not being pedantic, just trying to give you an idea) but yeah it's a good step up from the likes of Glenlivet.

Arione
Aug 19, 2013

by Athanatos

Devoz posted:

I walk in to my local tamuras or fujiokas and see whats on their top shelf or behind the counter locked cabinet and find something I dont have. usually get stuff in the 100-300 dollar range. I'd really like to try odyssey or paradis, but its just not worth the cost per bottle for me. last week I picked up a bottle of orphan barrel 20-barter house, and restocked my remmy XO, OB20 wasnt as good as the OB26 -old blowhard, but it was drat good and I'd recommend it. I think i'll get the rhetoric next.

wontondestruction
Dec 3, 2012

I'm a piece of human waste who supports a culture of using gendered slurs, that leads to 78.1% of women in STEM fields experiencing sexual harassment

spankmeister posted:

It's low on the peat (not being pedantic, just trying to give you an idea) but yeah it's a good step up from the likes of Glenlivet.

Thanks! That is helpful, and I know that was your intention. :cheers:

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

RolandTower posted:

Just got myself a bottle of Laphroaig 18yr and unnngh I think I just had a peatgasm. I love the 10 this is that with all the edges sanded down and wrapped in velvet. I'm sitting here smelling an empty glass 3 hours later and it's like hiking in the woods on a clear autumn day and catching the smell of burning leaves in a bonfire on the wind.

Sold. Picking up a bottle this next weekend.

Arione
Aug 19, 2013

by Athanatos

Solice Kirsk posted:

Sold. Picking up a bottle this next weekend.

Just picked up a bottle of Jefferson's Ocean voyage 4, $100 entry fee. No age statement, pretty sure I just got a bottle of bilge water...

Big Bidness
Aug 2, 2004

Arione posted:

Just picked up a bottle of Jefferson's Ocean voyage 4, $100 entry fee. No age statement, pretty sure I just got a bottle of bilge water...

I'm not trying to make you feel bad about your purchase, but Ocean Voyage 3 is by far the most disappointing bourbon I've ever bought from a quality:cost standpoint. It's not horrifically bad like a bottle of Cleveland or something, but I think I paid $80, and it's my least liked bottle on my shelf. I saw all these tasting notes about how you could "taste the sea salt", and there "hints of salted caramel corn". Total bullshit. Hopefully 4 is better.

Scyron
Aug 27, 2005

I am sure a hacker knows all about rewarding and accomplished behavior. I mean, raping a chick with some mickeys is the same is getting laid right? Same result amirite guys? Nothing like work and not having to do it and get that sweet sweet payoff. :smug:
Ardbeg and a cheap bottle of blended peat scotch for mixing, vs 1 bottle of lagavulin? (both would be close to $75 USD.) I've had all three in the equation, my thought is more booze = better, and I can use some of this Lord Canvandish simple syrup I made, that adds a cool tobacco aroma and mouth feel. (does contain nicotine)

If I got the lagavulin, well, I probably wouldn't crack it anytime soon, or only have it with some med-rare steaks on special occasions. Something that doesn't seem as fun, and well I would probably use the Ardbeg for anyways.

Good, bad, terrible?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Big Bidness posted:

I'm not trying to make you feel bad about your purchase, but Ocean Voyage 3 is by far the most disappointing bourbon I've ever bought from a quality:cost standpoint. It's not horrifically bad like a bottle of Cleveland or something, but I think I paid $80, and it's my least liked bottle on my shelf. I saw all these tasting notes about how you could "taste the sea salt", and there "hints of salted caramel corn". Total bullshit. Hopefully 4 is better.

Rowans Creek is the worst "good quality" bourbon I've ever had. I'd honestly rather drink Fighting Cock than it.

Distorted Kiwi
Jun 11, 2014

"C'mon! Let's tune our weapons!"

Scyron posted:

Ardbeg and a cheap bottle of blended peat scotch for mixing, vs 1 bottle of lagavulin? (both would be close to $75 USD.) I've had all three in the equation, my thought is more booze = better, and I can use some of this Lord Canvandish simple syrup I made, that adds a cool tobacco aroma and mouth feel. (does contain nicotine)

If I got the lagavulin, well, I probably wouldn't crack it anytime soon, or only have it with some med-rare steaks on special occasions. Something that doesn't seem as fun, and well I would probably use the Ardbeg for anyways.

Good, bad, terrible?

Lagavulin is my favourite Scotch by a long margin, so I'd treat yourself. But I would also force myself to portion it out over a very long time.

I find it IS easier to save up for a cheap peated blend than the big-dollar brands, so I usually have a couple of mid-range bottles to one "once-a-fortnighter" on hand.

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

The Wife and I are planning on heading up to Edinburgh for the fringe this year and then touring around the Highlands to take in a few distilleries and Whisky tastings around Scotland.

Any recommendations for places/distilleries to visit?

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today
Most distillery tours are the same, so I wouldn't bother with too many. The Deanston tour is (or was when I was there, at least) unusual in that it actually takes you inside the vault where they age the whisky, though, which is pretty neat. The air is just saturated with whiskyness.

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

Ralith posted:

Most distillery tours are the same, so I wouldn't bother with too many. The Deanston tour is (or was when I was there, at least) unusual in that it actually takes you inside the vault where they age the whisky, though, which is pretty neat. The air is just saturated with whiskyness.

Yeah we were thinking of maybe a couple of distillery tours and then finding decent restaurant/hotels with extensive whisky selections and tasting sessions.

swimming anime
Jan 4, 2006

Scyron posted:

Good, bad, terrible?

Lagavulin is many peoples' favorite scotch ever, and its definitely one of my top ones why not crack it more often? Also as an aside I'm sure you've probably tried it already but be very careful using tobacco for infusions and syrups. They can sometimes contain way more nicotine than you assume and be dangerous.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Lord Cavandish tobacco syrup, what?

Is that a thing?

Scyron
Aug 27, 2005

I am sure a hacker knows all about rewarding and accomplished behavior. I mean, raping a chick with some mickeys is the same is getting laid right? Same result amirite guys? Nothing like work and not having to do it and get that sweet sweet payoff. :smug:
Yeah, and I have gotten a wicked nicotine buzz from it. While I am not a smoker, I have smoked a lot in my life, so I know what it is. The recipe called for 1 Tbs, I used about 2.5. To be fair I was being a bit over zealous with my new mixer that night too.

So a new thing is, my boss pulled the 50ml sampler from Ardbeg's packaging, and while I could ask for it to be included, I think I might go with Ledaig 10y since I have sampled that, at a tasting, but haven't had a full bottle before, and is in the same price range as the Ardbeg. I enjoyed it quite a bit, but I wouldn't say had a fair enough time with it, and wouldn't mind picking it up, over Ardbeg. The thing is, we still don't have the tamer, blended peaty 8y islay mist that I wanted, specifically for mixing.

I suppose I can always special order a peated blend, or rather an inexpensive peated/smokey scotch?

tobacco simple syrup article;
http://nynow.org/post/tobacco-returns-bar-time-inside-cocktails This is what gave me the idea, anyways. The tobacco users in my group of friends have enjoyed it a ton anyways.

Scyron fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Apr 9, 2015

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer
I wondering if there are any good Whiskeys made in :ca: that you all would think would be good for gift giving to friends and family outside of CA. Otherwise I'm just going to go with Evan Williams 1783 or Four Roses Single Barrel.

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Like all girls I love unicorns!

Herr Tog posted:

I wondering if there are any good Whiskeys made in :ca:

I'm aware of Breaker Bourbon, from Buellton:

http://www.drinkhacker.com/2014/01/05/review-breaker-bourbon/

Leopold Stotch
Jun 30, 2007

Herr Tog posted:

Whiskeys made in :ca:

I am a big fan of Lost Spirits Leviathan

http://www.klwines.com/Products/i?s=14C9D58C262C&i=1109785

good jovi
Dec 11, 2000

'm pro-dickgirl, and I VOTE!

Herr Tog posted:

I wondering if there are any good Whiskeys made in :ca: that you all would think would be good for gift giving to friends and family outside of CA. Otherwise I'm just going to go with Evan Williams 1783 or Four Roses Single Barrel.

Also consider one of the brandies from Germain-Robin. They're super delicious, and world-class spirits in a way that none of the Californian whiskies are.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

http://www.wired.com/2015/04/lost-spirits/ just came up, too

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

good jovi posted:

Also consider one of the brandies from Germain-Robin. They're super delicious, and world-class spirits in a way that none of the Californian whiskies are.

These both seem fantastic. Thank you!

Mollymauk
Apr 20, 2006

good jovi posted:

The stuff from Fluid Dynamics made using their brandies are outstanding as well.

swimming anime
Jan 4, 2006

I haven't tried their whiskey but St George Spirits are amazing. I love their rhum agricole. They have a sourced bourbon but their single malt is distilled by them I believe.

Leopold Stotch
Jun 30, 2007

Herr Tog posted:

These both seem fantastic. Thank you!

Actually it looks like Leviathan 1 may be no longer available, but Leviathan II
http://www.klwines.com/Products/i?s=14CA2A0CD475&i=1122799

and III
http://www.klwines.com/Products/i?s=14CA2A1AD37A&i=1156823

Exist but are not currently in stock...

Leopold Stotch fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Apr 10, 2015

Merica
Jan 28, 2009
Got my friend a bottle of Laguvulin 18 for a wedding present and tastes like steak sauce and hickory smoke. Delicious. Really wanna buy another bottle and cook a giant steak to have with it.

Leopold Stotch
Jun 30, 2007
Damnit quote is not edit.

Content: Balvenie 17 Peated Cask is very good, light on peat, a good buy for Balvenie fans who like a little smoke.

Favorite cask strength whiskys? For me so far I would say Ardbeg Uigeadail and Corryvreckan. I don't think either of those bottles lasted me more than 2 weeks :(

Leopold Stotch fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Apr 10, 2015

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Leopold Stotch posted:

Actually it looks like Leviathan 1 may be no longer available, but Leviathan II
http://www.klwines.com/Products/i?s=14CA2A0CD475&i=1122799

and III
http://www.klwines.com/Products/i?s=14CA2A1AD37A&i=1156823

Exist but are not currently in stock...

Well goddamnit

door Door door
Feb 26, 2006

Fugee Face

Yeah it looks like he's transitioning hard into rums. I had a bottle of Leviathan I and I guess I'll just make my bottle of Leviathan III last. . .

Allantois
May 18, 2006
Aint nuttin but a RadioSkank
I've had the Balvenie Portwood 21 a few times before and finally decided to drop the $ on a bottle (its about $200/bottle so it took a while to convince myself) only to have my wife buy me a second bottle for a birthday present when she noticed I enjoyed it at the last restaurant I had it at. For good or bad when it rains it pours I guess. I'm certainly not complaining :] Highly recommended for anyone who likes sherry style whisky, like McCallan or Bunahabhain

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Well it seems like Four Roses single barrel it is~

swimming anime
Jan 4, 2006

Herr Tog posted:

Well it seems like Four Roses single barrel it is~

Can't go wrong there.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

swimming anime posted:

Can't go wrong there.

Thank you swimming Anime for your support and help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax

Solice Kirsk posted:

Rowans Creek is the worst "good quality" bourbon I've ever had. I'd honestly rather drink Fighting Cock than it.

Rowan's Creek is sold by Kentucky Bourbon Distillers but not actually distilled by them. They won't say where they source it, but it's probably from Heaven Hill. It used to have a 12 year age on it, which is back when it got those "good quality" accolades... but since then the age statement has been removed, so it probably isn't as old, and for all we know it's from a completely different source than the whiskey praised by reviewers. KBD likes pulling that type of poo poo. They did it with Noah's Mill too.