Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

Nothing better than swinging around a little girl like a flail.

Vanderdeath posted:

I've had the freaking megaplague so I haven't been on but please don't kick me. :(

I have already stated that I have kicked people while making that post.

I have you marked for instant reinvitation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I got my first 50 today, my m. launcher, but apparently I don't have the 10% bonus exp yet? It says I'm "level 0" on that screen, but I'm pretty close to level 1. Thing is, I have no idea what actually makes the exp for that go up. Daddy needs his exp bonus, what do I do?

Somefool
Feb 17, 2011

Countblanc posted:

I got my first 50 today, my m. launcher, but apparently I don't have the 10% bonus exp yet? It says I'm "level 0" on that screen, but I'm pretty close to level 1. Thing is, I have no idea what actually makes the exp for that go up. Daddy needs his exp bonus, what do I do?

So apparently I got this wrong. The exp thing starts to count at level 40+ and because I had another character at level 43, I actually triggered the first level at lvl 48.

Basically, make tons of alts and get them to level 40+. I Believe it's faster with alts than to have 1 single high level guy.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

Somefool posted:

So apparently I got this wrong. The exp thing starts to count at level 40+ and because I had another character at level 43, I actually triggered the first level at lvl 48.

Basically, make tons of alts and get them to level 40+. I Believe it's faster with alts than to have 1 single high level guy.
It works by a certain amount of "experience" per level 40 or above you have, according to this chart :eng101:

Eddain
May 6, 2007
Spitfire really starts to shine once you have all your elemental grenades and bullets. I love how freeze forces the enemy to stand, letting you continue your combo. Rotating between electrocution grenades, freeze bullets, and freeze grenades for guaranteed combo reset lets you lock down bosses entirely.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug

Eddain posted:

Spitfire really starts to shine once you have all your elemental grenades and bullets. I love how freeze forces the enemy to stand, letting you continue your combo. Rotating between electrocution grenades, freeze bullets, and freeze grenades for guaranteed combo reset lets you lock down bosses entirely.

A friend and I are duoing a male and female spitfire and it is fun + hilarious how things just get locked down and never recover

Eddain
May 6, 2007

MotU posted:

A friend and I are duoing a male and female spitfire and it is fun + hilarious how things just get locked down and never recover

I usually solo, and I've started just rushing the boss with Punisher+Freeze Bullets into Electro Grenades and then rotating between that and Freeze Grenades. Bosses die before the rest of the room even hits me.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

Raruna posted:

Oh, sorry, I forgot to mention that everything AFTER the Veiled Cutter mention is about the Male Ranger. Their main differences are that female Multi Headshot is disgustingly powerful, the trade off being that her Gun Dance isn't nearly as incredible as the Male's Wild Shot.

The Male focuses more heavily on shooting, the female gets huge bonuses for her kicks. The Male is the one with the Stylish passive that allows him to cancel between kick and shooting skills. In the future the female will get a passive that puts her on par with him, since she currently lacks something to make up for her lack of Stylish.

Personally I find female ranger easier than the male.

Here, these two videos should show you what's in store once they implement the 2nd Awakenings:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UstmBGDGe2Y
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVQzc_rkGwE

The Male Ranger plays more or less the same, with the exception of the fancy Raven skills, the Female Ranger plays... really differently. She lacks the Chain Powder skill that allows her to modify skills to add a Gunblade effect to them, and her attacks work kinda differently.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-4s2f5u4q8
This is more or less how she plays nowadays, except she gets the Veiled Cutter bonus on every single one of her kicks, Multi Headshot was changed to 9 shots instead of 7 and her awakening is only the finisher of the old awakening now.

Raruna posted:

Not at all. The bleed isn't there for damage, the bleed is there because some of her skills deal extra damage on Bleeding mobs.
Further, Veiled Cutter is good not because of the bleed(though that is nice), but because it adds an extra, very powerful hit to all of your kicks. For example: Topspin Kick at lv24 on my character deals 3 hits of 544%+3682. With Veiled Cutter at lv3, it adds an extra 3 hits of 1165% each. This is available on all of your kick skills regardless of how strong they are, making even Marylin Rose not worthless. Just a reminder that Bleed stacks in potency, not duration. Every stack from Veiled Cutter will have a duration of 4 seconds, no more and no less, unless you get accessories that change that, though I don't think there are any.

For her 2nd Awakening her passive is Saw Blades, which prolongs her bleed procs and allows her to deal extra damage to bleeding enemies regardless of the skill she uses. Once she obtains Chain Powder she'll be able to bleed enemies with several of her attacks.

Edit: As an addendum, before your Headshot and your Death by Revolver are strong, most of your damage will come from your kicks. And believe me, they do a LOT of damage. Just keep up the physical crit on your magic seals and you'll be destroying poo poo hardcore.

I rolled up a male ranger a day or two before you posted this, and have already got him to level 30, and am having a lot of fun.. with his kicks. :v: Oh well, too late now! It looks like M ranger has some fun stuff too, but windmill kick combos are just really entertaining for me for some reason. Plus, that gunblade.

What sort of cool stuff does m ranger do that F. ranger doesn't? It's suddenly looking like F. ranger gets tons of bleeds and gunblades and superkicks, but m. ranger gets.. some extra cancels and headshot autoattack.

Wolpertinger fucked around with this message at 11:23 on Apr 4, 2015

Somefool
Feb 17, 2011

Wolpertinger posted:

I rolled up a male ranger a day or two before you posted this, and have already got him to level 30, and am having a lot of fun.. with his kicks. :v: Oh well, too late now! It looks like M ranger has some fun stuff too, but windmill kick combos are just really entertaining for me for some reason. Plus, that gunblade.

What sort of cool stuff does m ranger do that F. ranger doesn't? It's suddenly looking like F. ranger gets tons of bleeds and gunblades and superkicks, but m. ranger gets.. some extra cancels and headshot autoattack.

M. Ranger excels at shooting. Technically M. Ranger has the better kicks because they all gain a split second of Super Armor while F. Ranger doesn't. This allows him to go into a large group and melee them all without worries of interruption. Wild Shot is also flat out the better skill compared to Gun Dance. Don't forget to read up on Stylish because it gives a variety of bonuses to a lot of skills that F. Ranger does not get.

Also not requiring poo poo to bleed first to deal more damage is a huge boon because it means you never have to perform certain skills first to maximize damage. A lot of his passives are just general damage increase so while it may not seem flashy, he's really strong by default.

edit: There is one more really good thing about M. Ranger, he doesn't need kick skills to be good. Because F. Ranger have several buffs relating to her kick skills, you might feel the need to have kick skills leveled. You'll run into SP issues doing this. M. Ranger can easily drop all kick skills to a minimum and still do fine with all his SP going into his gun related skills.

Somefool fucked around with this message at 12:12 on Apr 4, 2015

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Somefool posted:

M. Ranger excels at shooting. Technically M. Ranger has the better kicks because they all gain a split second of Super Armor while F. Ranger doesn't. This allows him to go into a large group and melee them all without worries of interruption. Wild Shot is also flat out the better skill compared to Gun Dance. Don't forget to read up on Stylish because it gives a variety of bonuses to a lot of skills that F. Ranger does not get.

Also not requiring poo poo to bleed first to deal more damage is a huge boon because it means you never have to perform certain skills first to maximize damage. A lot of his passives are just general damage increase so while it may not seem flashy, he's really strong by default.

I know WM recently got revamped but what was the cookie cutter stuff before that revamp? Mostly Katana?

Somefool
Feb 17, 2011

Kild posted:

I know WM recently got revamped but what was the cookie cutter stuff before that revamp? Mostly Katana?

Short Sword

Shits broken as gently caress yo. I have no idea how damage is calculated on that thing but its some funky poo poo. Zanbanto is a trap for damage.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

Somefool posted:

edit: There is one more really good thing about M. Ranger, he doesn't need kick skills to be good. Because F. Ranger have several buffs relating to her kick skills, you might feel the need to have kick skills leveled. You'll run into SP issues doing this. M. Ranger can easily drop all kick skills to a minimum and still do fine with all his SP going into his gun related skills.

Stylish is something I'm still not quite sure how to use yet - if you cancel a melee skill into a gun skill it boosts it, but when I already have Triple Clutch to cancel windmill/mach kick into headshot I'm not actually noticing much of a difference - maybe I just need more kicks and shots to actually cancel?

Somefool
Feb 17, 2011

Wolpertinger posted:

Stylish is something I'm still not quite sure how to use yet - if you cancel a melee skill into a gun skill it boosts it, but when I already have Triple Clutch to cancel windmill/mach kick into headshot I'm not actually noticing much of a difference - maybe I just need more kicks and shots to actually cancel?

Triple Clutch is its own combo where you go Windmill -> Mach Kick -> Headshot for the actual listed bonus. If you fail that skill order, you only get the regular Stylish damage bonus. Stylish is more help for your stronger skills like Wild Shot and Multi Headshot. Just do a quick kick move into the skill. If done right, the Stylish buff icon appears and your skill will do more damage.

There's also some other good bonuses like Revenger giving more shots to Wild Shot if you trigger it successfully.

edit: Or maybe I'm confusing it with Revenger. Christ, this is what happens when you lose half your characters.

edit2: Fixed it. Gun Guard boosts kick damage.

edit3: Want me to sell you on M. Ranger?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xm25edZuolc
Old video of M. Ranger when Stylish is first release and before 2nd awakens. This is what the gameplay looks like when you aren't blowing everything up with 1 skill. Note that he makes good use of maxed Buster for crowd control. Rangers can take advantage of a lot of pre-subclass skills.

Somefool fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Apr 4, 2015

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

Somefool posted:

Old video of M. Ranger when Stylish is first release and before 2nd awakens. This is what the gameplay looks like when you aren't blowing everything up with 1 skill. Note that he makes good use of maxed Buster for crowd control. Rangers can take advantage of a lot of pre-subclass skills.

:aaa: That boss combo at the end, hot drat.

And yeah, base gunner skills are what got me into trying Ranger in the first place despite originally planning on going something else when leveling up a gunner, as they seemed to be pretty much a extension of the same basic playstyle with kicks and combos, while mech/launcher and to a lesser degree spitfire go off and do their own thing.

BearPlayingGuitar
Nov 30, 2011
Glacial master is magic based not physical right? Can I safely shove points into magical critical? And I guess put conversion into magical?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Somefool posted:

Just looks like a confusing mess to me, like most top level videos, hah. Dude's got sick taste in avatar and music choice though :v:

SHUBNIGGURATHS CLIT
Jan 6, 2005

you're

BearPlayingGuitar posted:

Glacial master is magic based not physical right? Can I safely shove points into magical critical? And I guess put conversion into magical?

I'm almost certain they are but you can check what damage type you're doing right on the skill screen, click the description tab away from basic to advanced/optional whatever they call it. Also you can safely shove points anywhere because if you notice it isnt working out just refund them for free for ever

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
What should I be leveling as a Summoner? They have so many skills and I really don't know what I should be doing in PvE which obviously makes it difficult to pick skills; Do I want to just pump every summon and resummon them constantly? Is that viable without chugging mana potions? Or is it more like "pick a summon tree you like and max those as you go, plus your combat spells of choice"?

Actually, Somefool, write some words about Summoner in general if you can because I really don't know poo poo about the class beyond it seeming like the only decent full-zoning character in PvP.

Raruna
Mar 30, 2010

Somefool posted:

I'm so glad you posted that video. Holy poo poo man. Do you have that one really good video of this normal-geared Ranger running Leshpon? I think his revolver was unupgraded, and it was about 8 mins long? That one was also really impressive.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Somefool posted:

Holy poo poo, his outfit. :aaa:

Can't wait until we can buy some AVs again in DFO. :retrogames:

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

BearPlayingGuitar posted:

Yes they are a magic class, and your conversion should be defaulted to magical. Glacials also want attack speed not cast speed.

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

. . . the gently caress am I fighting flying sharks and shark men in the Sky Tower?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

LornMarkus posted:

. . . the gently caress am I fighting flying sharks and shark men in the Sky Tower?

They're not flying sharks, those levels take place underwater and your character has a near-supernatural ability to move through water unimpeded (and to drowning, apparently.) :eng101:

As for why those sharks can dive into and swim through solid rock, that's because it's awesome. Unfortunately they also cause reduced-gravity knockback, which isn't awesome at all, and kind of makes me want to mail a sternly worded letter to the level designers.

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

They're not flying sharks, those levels take place underwater and your character has a near-supernatural ability to move through water unimpeded (and to drowning, apparently.) :eng101:

As for why those sharks can dive into and swim through solid rock, that's because it's awesome. Unfortunately they also cause reduced-gravity knockback, which isn't awesome at all, and kind of makes me want to mail a sternly worded letter to the level designers.

Well, the first bit's not that surprising because the original Sky Tower has a level that was explicitly flooded and filled with sea themed monsters so clearly Dungeon Fighters are all also Kevin Costner from Waterworld. But there they at least used a blue color palette and had little bubbles periodically come off of your character.

The Big Bad Worf
Jan 26, 2004
Quad-greatness
Applied to Restraint as Shelyak.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
The underwater levels are a hoot as a Launcher because you never juggle things anyway, and you can do your weird gunshot airdash thing to go flying across the map.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Do fgraps take any points in Leap these days? Higher jumping is something I thought I used to run around with but now i'm not sure if I did, or why I would.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Fgraps should never fling an enemy 'up' in those levels, especially the event bugs because I did and it bounced off the wall near the top of my screen and died so high up the items never came down. :(

Lotus is a loving rear end in a top hat to fight as a grap.

Emberfox
Jan 15, 2005

~rero rero rero rero rero
For summoner, does stuff like Water Damage+4 affect summons like Naias and Aquarius?

Countblanc posted:

What should I be leveling as a Summoner? They have so many skills and I really don't know what I should be doing in PvE which obviously makes it difficult to pick skills; Do I want to just pump every summon and resummon them constantly? Is that viable without chugging mana potions? Or is it more like "pick a summon tree you like and max those as you go, plus your combat spells of choice"?

Actually, Somefool, write some words about Summoner in general if you can because I really don't know poo poo about the class beyond it seeming like the only decent full-zoning character in PvP.

Above all else, make sure you at least put points in Black Knight Sandor and Big Sis Louise. They seem to be my staples, and according to my damage analysis, they're always #1 and #2 in damage. Also Sandor is an awesome tank.

I seem to do fine with Panzer Hodor, Freet, Black Knight Sandor, Big Sis Louise, two T1&T2 elemental spirits (currently, I'm using Wisp/Glaerin & Stalker/Dead Murker), and Spirit King Echevarria. I'm constantly buffing them with Lasher, and using Zealous Creature sometimes for more DPS. I have been toying with the idea of dropping Hodor and Freet for a full elemental summon build, but that might drain mana pretty quickly.

Also, put points into Summoner's Aura. Train/Mass Teleport is probably optional, but try to put one level in Summoner's Train for repositioning purposes.

Keep in mind, I'm only Level 50 and haven't awakened yet.

Emberfox fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Apr 4, 2015

Silvergun1000
Sep 17, 2007

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
So with us potentially getting F.Slayer and/or Knight before too long, would somebody mind describing them and their advanced classes? There doesn't seem to be a ton of info about them out there (in English at any rate).

Snicker-Snack
Jul 2, 2010

Silvergun1000 posted:

So with us potentially getting F.Slayer and/or Knight before too long, would somebody mind describing them and their advanced classes? There doesn't seem to be a ton of info about them out there (in English at any rate).

I don't know if it's up to date, but there's this about the f.Slayer and this about the Knight.

I really hope and the new stuff comes out soon. The Dark Templar and the new f.Spitfire are looking exactly like the type of classes I like playing.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

Snicker-Snack posted:

new f.Spitfire

What does this mean?

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

MrBims posted:

What does this mean?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QeqWfqpRK6M

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?

Countblanc posted:

even if you don't actually want to use a sacrifice build, get one level of the sacrifice skills because it lets you summon two tier 1 spirits at a time for free, which makes getting a full swarm of spirits way less annoying

also ancient memory/library int buffs increase your summon stats (and the second can help your MP issues) so they're basically mandatory skills imo

as an aside elementalist is really really good at zoning in pvp, especially right now because everyone is bad and keeps falling for dropping a fire pillar over your body as a reversal

Silvergun1000
Sep 17, 2007

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.

Snicker-Snack posted:

I don't know if it's up to date, but there's this about the f.Slayer and this about the Knight.

I really hope and the new stuff comes out soon. The Dark Templar and the new f.Spitfire are looking exactly like the type of classes I like playing.

That's cool, thanks!

So looking at that, the Elven Knight is all about hitting Chain and then just spamming every attack you've got to shred stuff (and then jumping on a unicorn to murder more stuff), while Chaos is basically a Summoner where your summons just murder everything around you instead of doing their own thing?

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

Silvergun1000 posted:

I know people don't like DFONexus but there are some quick guides out there:
http://www.dfonexus.com/threads/demon-slayer.1872/
http://www.dfonexus.com/threads/%EC%86%8C%EB%93%9C%EB%A7%88%EC%8A%A4%ED%84%B0-sword-master-discussion-thread.691/
http://www.dfonexus.com/threads/my-dark-templar-overview-for-other-dnf-versions.889/
http://www.dfonexus.com/threads/my-vagabond-overview-for-other-dnf-versions.816/

Somefool probably has more concrete info/experience, but from what I've seen in videos and guides:
Dark Templars are hold slaves that can even rival fgraps, but their attack power is low(outside of destroyer which is a crazy skill)
Demon Slayers use a whip sword and have really good range. Apparently the sword transformation used to be a buff, but now it's passive? Good thing because most of the skills apparently require the whip form.
Sword Masters are Warlocks(M.Mage Job) in melee form. They can imbue their weapons with elements which also changes the shape. It seems like it's Ice Katana, Fire Short Sword, Dark Zanbato, and Lightning Bludgeons. There are different builds for them because they have separate masteries for all 4 weapons(not the elemental shape change, that's just cosmetics as far as I understand).
Vagabonds are dual wielders(that means two separate weapons) who can use Lightsabers. Only LS can go in the offhand and they're mostly physical % based.

Emberfox
Jan 15, 2005

darealkooky posted:

even if you don't actually want to use a sacrifice build, get one level of the sacrifice skills because it lets you summon two tier 1 spirits at a time for free, which makes getting a full swarm of spirits way less annoying

also ancient memory/library int buffs increase your summon stats (and the second can help your MP issues) so they're basically mandatory skills imo

as an aside elementalist is really really good at zoning in pvp, especially right now because everyone is bad and keeps falling for dropping a fire pillar over your body as a reversal

Oh, this is helpful to me too, thanks. I didn't realize that about the sacrifice abilities.

Snicker-Snack
Jul 2, 2010

MrBims posted:

What does this mean?

To elaborate on a medical mystery's answer, read this:

http://wiki.dfo-world.com/view/Nitro_Motor

And then watch this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3Pdm3JfO5E

Snicker-Snack fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Apr 4, 2015

prinnylaharl
Feb 10, 2013

Silvergun1000 posted:

So looking at that, the Elven Knight is all about hitting Chain and then just spamming every attack you've got to shred stuff (and then jumping on a unicorn to murder more stuff), while Chaos is basically a Summoner where your summons just murder everything around you instead of doing their own thing?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6pKB26UT8jE] - Chaos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7uv7kCYFWsU - Knight

_jink
Jan 14, 2006

Evil Fluffy posted:

Do fgraps take any points in Leap these days? Higher jumping is something I thought I used to run around with but now i'm not sure if I did, or why I would.

one point is occasionally useful in pvp, and it can be fun to leap > wcs, but skipping it is totally fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emberfox
Jan 15, 2005

Is there anywhere in particular where Emperor Helm Seals drop more? 120 is a rather large number for awakening.

Requesting to join GamerGirls as LilacDreams

• Locked thread