Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Manos del Sino
Apr 12, 2004

Original Pony
Soiled Meat
I was actually disappointed in the Going Clear doc. It didn't delve into anything I hadn't read a dozen times over in the last couple decades, and could have been much more acerbic than it ended up being.

I was also disappointed that the former member who used to post in every Scientology-related thread here didn't show up during it. That guy was great. Anyone remember his name and if he is still around?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Manos del Sino posted:

I was actually disappointed in the Going Clear doc. It didn't delve into anything I hadn't read a dozen times over in the last couple decades, and could have been much more acerbic than it ended up being.

I was also disappointed that the former member who used to post in every Scientology-related thread here didn't show up during it. That guy was great. Anyone remember his name and if he is still around?

To be fair it wasn't really meant for people like us who've seen a ton of 'no seriously it's not 'lol you think aliens are god THAT's crazy', it's the fact that you actively behave like a cult to the point of harming people constantly' stuff. It was more for people who heard a few jokes about Tom Cruise and poo poo but nothing really 'deep' about the issues with the cult. It needed to be less harsh because it was trying to educate.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Well the main thing about it was them going only for the stories that they had first hand accounts or direct evidence.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Ravane posted:

I DIDN'T loving CREATE THIS ISSUE!

When I first came on here to TVIV, I was being completely sincere about everything, My first thread was the Parks and Rec thread. Some dude made a joke about wanting vegetarians to kill themselves, which I said was very offensive (Being vegetarian myself). I got called a Social Justice Warrior for loving defending vegetarians. Make any other joke, don't tell a class of people to kill themselves for no reason.

I go to the Arrow thread, which is full of comic talk. I don't read comics and it's genuinely my first exposure to the Arrow. I'm asking questions about the Arrow and about its villains. I don't loving know the difference between Slade Wilson and Deathstroke. I know Slade from Teen Titans, I never assumed him to be the same as Deathstroke. A simple Go gently caress yourselves to the people who called me a troll for not knowing the difference.

Then comes the joke about not knowing who Alfred Hitchcock was on this thread. Of course I've heard of Psycho, but no I had no idea who Alfred Hitchcock was and that's not trolling, no matter what I said to save face and no matter what others said. I didn't know that he was a famous director, who gives a gently caress. My PhD's not in watching movies guys, it's in Biochemistry. And from then on, every small thing I don't know from the very specific to the very general has had me being called a troll.

So go gently caress yourselves, all of you, because I'm sick of being called a troll, when I'm not trolling. You guys made me into this "troll" person. Every time I post my opinion, it's always "Oh Ravane's just trolling." Go gently caress yourselves for being so dismissive.

I've been completely serious for the last week or so, and I've still got a bunch of Ravane's trolling posts, which means it's not my problem, it's yours. It's gotten to the point where if I even slightly disagree with any of you, you immediately claim "Ravane's trolling" EVEN WHEN I'M loving RIGHT (I'M TALKING ABOUT YOU ZOUX AND YOUR RACIST TIRADE!).

But the thing is I don't give a poo poo that you have called me a troll. Just give me the chance to loving change and post normally. You guys treat me like poo poo on here to the point that one of you asked me to "kill myself". WHAT THE gently caress! When have I ever told any of you guys to kill yourselves? Never! I value you guys decently enough that I'd never say anything like that, even when I say gently caress off, I say it half jokingly because I get you guys are actual people with feelings. To the rear end in a top hat that told me to kill myself on this thread, gently caress you dude.

I don't think I've ever been that bad of a troll to warrant anyone to say that. I'm not bullying children here, I'm making loving DAD JOKES every once in a while. Literally, the hatred that you guys have for me is unwarranted. But it's gotten so bad, that I see random posts from new people in other threads that say "Oh it's just Ravane, nobody likes him." NEW PEOPLE that have barely even formed an opinion about me are getting on the Ravane hate train. Yeah, so you guys did make me a loving martyr to throw all your angst and hatred against. For what?

A couple questions: "Who is this, who is that?" A few dad jokes. Some slightly racist effort posts. And a whole lot of genuine opinions about how I feel about certain tv shows, which others who feel the same way don't get pinned. Not the way I do.

TL;DR for those of you with the attention span of a squirrel: Evaluate yourselves, the problem doesn't lie with me, it lies with you.

you're the smartest person who posts in this thread but you're still a dumbass

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

EL BROMANCE posted:

The first Muppet movie that Segal did was great, but holy crap I couldn't even get through an hour of the second one. It was so, so bad. Hope the show can beat that quality at least.

The first one was a huge passion project for Segal, and I think that that's the key to a good Muppet movie: having a singular creative vision at the helm that obviously cares for the Muppets but at the same time is willing to do their own thing. After Henson died they seemed to fall into the same trap Disney did, where they floundered in mediocrity because they kept asking "what would Jim/Walt have wanted?" and rehashing their existing IPs instead of trying new things and branching out. Even Henson in his later years made some mediocre movies because he seemed more interested in the technology and technique of puppetry and special effects than actually making good movies.

I think that's why Muppets Most Wanted felt so bland, it was just like any of their other forgettable post-Henson movies where they took a generic plot frame and then stuck a bunch of celebrity cameos everywhere and called it a day.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

MrAristocrates posted:

God, just shut up Ravane.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
It's been a long time since there's been a real full on meltdown around here. Must be sweeps.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Eezee posted:

Can you just go back to trolling? This self-righteous complaining about people who think your posting is terrible is much worse.

Which is the only reason I have him ignored. I don't care if you have different opinions than me or make jokes I don't find funny. Different opinions are what create good discussion and bad jokes are easy to ignore. But some people have a tendency to monopolize the conversation with stuff that has nothing to do with the interesting topic. And it makes the thread a chore to read.

You know, like this.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Ravane posted:

Isn't the saying "you teach people how to treat you"?

By this point you're literally the only one to blame. It'd be like Irish Joe trying to actually be serious and argue a point of view in a TV thread and constantly be getting told to shut up and flipping out that no one takes him seriously.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Ravane posted:

When I first came on here to TVIV, I was being completely sincere about everything, My first thread was the Parks and Rec thread. Some dude made a joke about wanting vegetarians to kill themselves, which I said was very offensive (Being vegetarian myself). I got called a Social Justice Warrior for loving defending vegetarians. Make any other joke, don't tell a class of people to kill themselves for no reason.

I go to the Arrow thread, which is full of comic talk. I don't read comics and it's genuinely my first exposure to the Arrow. I'm asking questions about the Arrow and about its villains. I don't loving know the difference between Slade Wilson and Deathstroke. I know Slade from Teen Titans, I never assumed him to be the same as Deathstroke. A simple Go gently caress yourselves to the people who called me a troll for not knowing the difference.

Then comes the joke about not knowing who Alfred Hitchcock was on this thread. Of course I've heard of Psycho, but no I had no idea who Alfred Hitchcock was and that's not trolling, no matter what I said to save face and no matter what others said. I didn't know that he was a famous director, who gives a gently caress. My PhD's not in watching movies guys, it's in Biochemistry. And from then on, every small thing I don't know from the very specific to the very general has had me being called a troll.

So go gently caress yourselves, all of you, because I'm sick of being called a troll, when I'm not trolling. You guys made me into this "troll" person. Every time I post my opinion, it's always "Oh Ravane's just trolling." Go gently caress yourselves for being so dismissive.

I've been completely serious for the last week or so, and I've still got a bunch of Ravane's trolling posts, which means it's not my problem, it's yours. It's gotten to the point where if I even slightly disagree with any of you, you immediately claim "Ravane's trolling" EVEN WHEN I'M loving RIGHT (I'M TALKING ABOUT YOU ZOUX AND YOUR RACIST TIRADE!).

But the thing is I don't give a poo poo that you have called me a troll. Just give me the chance to loving change and post normally. You guys treat me like poo poo on here to the point that one of you asked me to "kill myself". WHAT THE gently caress! When have I ever told any of you guys to kill yourselves? Never! I value you guys decently enough that I'd never say anything like that, even when I say gently caress off, I say it half jokingly because I get you guys are actual people with feelings. To the rear end in a top hat that told me to kill myself on this thread, gently caress you dude.

I don't think I've ever been that bad of a troll to warrant anyone to say that. I'm not bullying children here, I'm making loving DAD JOKES every once in a while. Literally, the hatred that you guys have for me is unwarranted. But it's gotten so bad, that I see random posts from new people in other threads that say "Oh it's just Ravane, nobody likes him." NEW PEOPLE that have barely even formed an opinion about me are getting on the Ravane hate train. Yeah, so you guys did make me a loving martyr to throw all your angst and hatred against. For what?

A couple questions: "Who is this, who is that?" A few dad jokes. Some slightly racist effort posts. And a whole lot of genuine opinions about how I feel about certain tv shows, which others who feel the same way don't get pinned. Not the way I do.

TL;DR for those of you with the attention span of a squirrel: Evaluate yourselves, the problem doesn't lie with me, it lies with you.

I'm so happy.

Arist fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Apr 4, 2015

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

Ravane posted:

I've been completely serious for the last week or so, and I've still got a bunch of Ravane's trolling posts

It's almost like being a lovely poster for months on end has consequences. Welcome to adulthood I guess.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Ravane posted:

I came in like a wreeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeecking baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaall

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

lelandjs posted:

http://time.com/3771124/muppet-show-reboot-abc/

Oh gently caress yes, I can't believe it took them this long

I can, after that TV special that came on a year or two ago.

Irish Joe posted:

Unlike Jason Segel, Prady and Kushell might actually be able to produce a half-decent Muppet show. I mean, I don't think they will because, you know, Muppets, but still, this is the best chance the Muppets have had in a long time.

(Kushell wrote one of the best episodes of Salute Your Shorts)

The Muppet movie that Jason Segel was involved in was a lot better than the Muppet movie that Jason Segel was not involved in, though.

Eezee posted:

Can you just go back to trolling? This self-righteous complaining about people who think your posting is terrible is much worse.

Don't discourage him. I want this.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

Ravane posted:

:vince:
FWIW, you seem like a decent guy with anger issues, and some people in this forum have been really lovely to you.
In general, one of the worst problems endemic to the SA forums is a tendency to assume someone's trolling when they post an opinion with which one happens to vehemently disagree. It's not only paranoid as hell, it's mean, discourages open discussion, and gives the trolls exactly what they want. If trolls exist to sow discord, what could be better for them than getting everyone to be paranoid that everyone else might be "trolling"? The only regular troll in this thread is Irish Joe.
ON THE OTHER HAND, dude you need to tone it down. Stop getting mad about things on the internet. Maybe lurk for a few months. I have a bad rep on another forum for the same kind of accidental belligerence, so I keep a low profile here to counter that. I suggest you do the same until you learn to CALM THE gently caress DOWN.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Basically, chill out.

Trolls are annoying because they're trying to make themselves the star of a discussion and make it about them and their little tricks. The best thing to do is ignore them because feeding into it just gives them the attention they want.

But you can by making the discussion about you without doing it deliberately. Some people have egos, or have a hard time dealing with criticism, or share too much information or some people just can't let stuff slide.

Why should you care if I have you on ignore? Is my opinion really that valuable to you? Who am I? I'm nobody. I'd be shocked if there's 2 posters here who give a drat about my posts. Maybe I'm a jerk or a "smug little bitch" as you jumped right too, and if so why the hell do you care? If I'm really that pathetic then why should you let a casual mention from me result in this kind of reaction?

Just mellow out and talk about TV. Then "smug little bitches" like me will probably take you off ignore because we won't be worried about a 2 page derail about you erupting from a TV discussion. Although I can't speak for all smug little bitches, just myself. But if they don't, who cares?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I don't recall delivering a racist tirade.

Ravane is by far the worst poster in the thread and Rapey Joe Stalin posts here.

Bosch seems like a decent cop show, are the books any good or are they Patterson style airport garbage?

zoux fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Apr 4, 2015

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

zoux posted:

Ravane is by far the worst poster in the thread and Rapey Joe Stalin posts here.

Wow...that is a tough act to follow, but I actually agree with you. Ravane, you are terrible and worse than a Soviet Tyrant Sex Offender.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien
So I just caught a commercial of Vikings, and it looked pretty cool. What do you guys think of Vikings? Would you recommend it?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I saw the pilot of Bosch and it looked really cheaply produced. Like noticeably worse looking than average cop show.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Shrug. I liked the show quite a bit. Excited for season 2.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Mu Zeta posted:

I saw the pilot of Bosch and it looked really cheaply produced. Like noticeably worse looking than average cop show.

It's nothing extraordinary, it's a detective show with a rough noir protagonist. One thing it is not, I would say, is cheaply produced.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Ravane posted:

Squirrel!

Manos del Sino
Apr 12, 2004

Original Pony
Soiled Meat

Ravane posted:

So I just caught a commercial of Vikings, and it looked pretty cool. What do you guys think of Vikings? Would you recommend it?

Vikings is thoroughly enjoyable.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Ravane posted:

With no other qualifiers, yes you should watch Vikings it is A Good Show™. It kind of came off looking like a cheap history channel GoT cash-in when they first started showing commercials for it, but it's nothing like that and just focuses on Ragnar and his family/friends. Has some really great characters and a couple of cool battles per season. Travis Fimmel (Ragnar, the main guy) and Gustaf Skarsgård (Floki, his best friend) steal every single scene they are in and it's worth watching for them alone (and later for Linus Roache as King Ecbert). Throw in some good backstabbery and Viking politics, the occasional religious hallucinogenic trip, and Katheryn Winnick being a badass and you've got a pretty fun show.

VDay fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Apr 5, 2015

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Ravane posted:

Vikings is easily one of the best shows on TV.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Ravane as a topic of discussion is off limits in this thread. If he posts something completely normal feel free to interact. If he posts something dumb you should feel obligated to ignore.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

I watched vikings until this latest season.

It seems to be treading water in the 2 repeating plot points they can do, and the dialogue is weirdly stilted and in a dumb accent where they're all speaking as if they're using a second language and only know a handful of words. The vikings don't do a lot of regular emoting or thinking, as if the show is always trying as hard as possible to remind us that they are indeed vikings. Oh and you only need to see one battle scene before you've seen them all.

The production is good and its interesting in the first season before the repetition and lack of developed characters is grating. And honestly, even with the flaws it's ok tv, you could do worse..

Silly Kitty
Sep 29, 2007

Here kitty, kitty, kitty.

zoux posted:

Bosch seems like a decent cop show, are the books any good or are they Patterson style airport garbage?

I really enjoyed the show, but I still prefer the books. The early books are set in the 90s, and L.A. at that time definitely fits the character better than a show set in 2014. Setting the show in the current day also means Bosch wasn't a Vietnam War tunnel rat which plays a big part in how hosed up he is. The books aren't masterpieces, but if you enjoy mystery/thriller/noir with a damaged cop protagonist give them a try. At the very least, you can learn a lot about great jazz.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

I agree that Vikings season 2 dragged, but 3 has been really good so far.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Fooz posted:

I watched vikings until this latest season.

It seems to be treading water in the 2 repeating plot points they can do, and the dialogue is weirdly stilted and in a dumb accent where they're all speaking as if they're using a second language and only know a handful of words. The vikings don't do a lot of regular emoting or thinking, as if the show is always trying as hard as possible to remind us that they are indeed vikings. Oh and you only need to see one battle scene before you've seen them all.

The production is good and its interesting in the first season before the repetition and lack of developed characters is grating. And honestly, even with the flaws it's ok tv, you could do worse..

You should watch season 3, it's gotten right back on track.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

pentyne posted:

Vikings is easily one of the best shows on TV.

Yeah absolutely. I'm just going to quote myself from another thread, in regards to the type of historical authenticity they're going for.

Gapey Joe Stalin posted:

...it is very conscious of avoiding the pitfall of taking a distinct culture in a historical period and compromising it to fit our Judeo-Christian morality. As much of a monster as Ragnar is to us, he's basically the ideal among his people.
It's part of what makes it such a good programme, they are showing us a world very alien to our own and saying "this is how it was, accept it." It's so refreshing.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Are all of you watching The Americans?

If not, why on earth not?

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

IRQ posted:

Busy, watching The Australians.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
We're busy hating on Muslims... nothing to see here.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

IRQ posted:

I watched the premiere, loved it, and keep getting distracted whenever I try to remember I need to catch up on it. Probably binge it once the season is over.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

IRQ posted:

I find watching the Americans is unfair to all the other tv I have to watch.

Tupping Liberty
Mar 17, 2008

Never cross an introvert.

IRQ posted:

I'm teaching about the Cold War right now and I got one of my students to start watching The Americans.

Then the next day no one in class knew who Calivn and Hobbes was so really it's a toss up on my hopes for humanity.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Every time this thread gets really fun Deadpool bans discussion about the fun thing :(

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

IRQ posted:

This season is really great

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Tupping Liberty posted:

I'm teaching about the Cold War right now and I got one of my students to start watching The Americans.

Then the next day no one in class knew who Calivn and Hobbes was so really it's a toss up on my hopes for humanity.

You are truly doing god's work.

• Locked thread