Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Bown posted:

Every time this thread gets really fun Deadpool bans discussion about the fun thing :(

Not true, we're still allowed to talk about Lena Dunham I think

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Bown posted:

Every time this thread gets really fun Deadpool bans discussion about the fun thing :(

This thread is about E/R now. :colbert:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oyAKhDikfbc

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The emergencies can't be that bad if the main thing on the logo is a plaster.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?
Deadpool, I think you meant that this is TVIV's Official E/N Thread. Easy mistake, I know.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

JohnSherman posted:

Deadpool, I think you meant that this is TVIV's Official E/N Thread. Easy mistake, I know.

There was no mistake.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

JohnSherman posted:

Apparently, it's the Everything/Ravane thread now. :colbert:

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Ravane posted:

Apparently, it's the Everything/Ravane thread now. :colbert:

Ravane is a banned topic in this thread. Even for you.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

IRQ posted:

Are all of you watching The Americans?

If not, why on earth not?

It bummed me out to much, after a season and a half. Just the same unrelenting grimshit every episode.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Shageletic posted:

It bummed me out to much, after a season and a half. Just the same unrelenting grimshit every episode.

Yeah, the protagonists have the problem of being despicable and unlikable, which makes the series very hard to watch because you don't really care if they succeed or fail in their mission-of-the-week.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I keep forgetting that the Russians are the bad guys in The Americans. Yeah Philip/Liz do bad stuff but people like Oleg or Arkady just seem like dudes that want to do good and serve their country. And I really appreciate that they have real native Russian speakers.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Mu Zeta posted:

And I really appreciate that they have real native Russian speakers.

I was actually just about to semi-jokingly ask how many cringe-worthy Russian accents there are per episode. Ok maybe I need to stop procrastinating and finally get around to watching it.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I don't speak Russian but it never sounded obviously fake to me like Sean Connery on Hunt for Red October.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1zhJZU-G95s

Sounds pretty good.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Irish Joe posted:

Yeah, the protagonists have the problem of being despicable and unlikable, which makes the series very hard to watch because you don't really care if they succeed or fail in their mission-of-the-week.

Well, they're anti-heroes. You root for them because they fight for Marxism–Leninism, but you don't always love them as individuals.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Deadpool posted:

Ravane is a banned topic in this thread. Even for you.

I finally put him on ignore, can you please refrain from quoting him? it totally defeats the purpose.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Rocksicles posted:

I finally put him on ignore, can you please refrain from quoting him? it totally defeats the purpose.

No.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Mu Zeta posted:

I don't speak Russian but it never sounded obviously fake to me like Sean Connery on Hunt for Red October.

Sounds pretty good.

Yup, looks like it's one of those rare shows that decided to get actual Russian/Soviet-born actors to play Russian characters.

The easiest way to tell when someone isn't a natural speaker in a language, even if you don't speak that language, is by paying attention to how quickly they're speaking. Think about how long it takes you to rattle off a sentence in a casual conversation, and then compare that to actors who painstakingly annunciate every syllable whenever they try to speak some other language.

VDay fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Apr 5, 2015

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Sir Kodiak posted:

Well, they're anti-heroes. You root for them because they fight for Marxism–Leninism, but you don't always love them as individuals.

Technically, they're fighting for the Soviet Union, which was an awful, totalitarian shithole.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Irish Joe posted:

Technically, they're fighting for the Soviet Union, which was an awful, totalitarian shithole.

Right, but keep in mind that the alternative at the time was Reagan's America.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

VDay posted:

I was actually just about to semi-jokingly ask how many cringe-worthy Russian accents there are per episode. Ok maybe I need to stop procrastinating and finally get around to watching it.
The Russians speak actual Russians when they talk amongst themselves, and the actors are Russian/Soviet. We don't call it potentially the best show on TV without good reason.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Mu Zeta posted:

Sounds pretty good.

The real shocker is that Lev Gorn and Annet Mahendru speak unaccented English.

Josh Lyman posted:

The Russians speak actual Russians when they talk amongst themselves, and the actors are Russian/Soviet. We don't call it potentially the best show on TV without good reason.

I think they're all from former Warsaw Pact countries, I'm not sure that any of the principles are Russian. Costa Ronin I know was raised in Australia, though his English is pretty accented.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

I would like to open this threads rules up to vote according to the rules of parliamentary procedure.

Deadpool posted:

Close enough to 2015.

Thread Rules.

1 - No Korra
2 - No Dr. Who
3 - Do not reply to Toxxupation
4 - And of course as always, kill Hitler.
5 - Here's the IRC link if you want it for some reason - http://client00.chat.mibbit.com/?channel=%23satviv&server=irc.synirc.net (direct link)
6 - Do not talk about Ravane.

I propose that rule 3 and 6 be merged for the sake of clarity for the posters familiar with the rules and to remove any ambiguity regarding posters regarded as "trolls". Also, any posters unfamiliar with the rules can be quickly sanctioned and taught the error of their ways.

As a second motion, I propose that Irish Joe be added to the aforementioned combination of rule 3 and 6, for the sake of reducing the usage of the garish "STOP TAKING IRISH JOE SERIOUSLY" glittery image and creating a universal understanding of the TVIV posters who, while not technically breaking forum rules, deserve to being ignored and disregarded as a result of frequent terrible opinions and "poo poo-posting".

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

pentyne posted:

As a second motion, I propose that Irish Joe be added to the aforementioned combination of rule 3 and 6, for the sake of reducing the usage of the garish "STOP TAKING IRISH JOE SERIOUSLY" glittery image and creating a universal understanding of the TVIV posters who, while not technically breaking forum rules, deserve to being ignored and disregarded as a result of frequent terrible opinions and "poo poo-posting".

Not gonna happen, buddy.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

zoux posted:

The real shocker is that Lev Gorn and Annet Mahendru speak unaccented English.

I always found it funny how accents seem really weird to most Americans because you're not really exposed to a lot of other languages unless you live in the southern half and in a state with a lot of Mexican or Cuban immigrants, so the idea that people can just talk differently whenever they want to seems crazy and foreign. I moved to the US when I was 10 and have completely lost my accent despite the fact that I grew up in the Soviet Union and still speak Russian. Accents are a goofy thing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0GgHhOqUrUw&t=2m15s

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Mu Zeta posted:

I keep forgetting that the Russians are the bad guys in The Americans. Yeah Philip/Liz do bad stuff but people like Oleg or Arkady just seem like dudes that want to do good and serve their country. And I really appreciate that they have real native Russian speakers.
It's a good show because each POV presents the principal characters as the protagonists, and on the other side, they're the antagonists. Nobody exists to only twirl mustaches.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

VDay posted:

I always found it funny how accents seem really weird to most Americans because you're not really exposed to a lot of other languages unless you live in the southern half and in a state with a lot of Mexican or Cuban immigrants, so the idea that people can just talk differently whenever they want to seems crazy and foreign. I moved to the US when I was 10 and have completely lost my accent despite the fact that I grew up in the Soviet Union and still speak Russian. Accents are a goofy thing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0GgHhOqUrUw&t=2m15s

On Strike Back one of the leads is an American playing English and an Australian playing American. I guess to me Australian sounds more like English than we do, but I guess an Aussie might think American English is closer to England English.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

zoux posted:

On Strike Back one of the leads is an American playing English and an Australian playing American. I guess to me Australian sounds more like English than we do, but I guess an Aussie might think American English is closer to England English.

Nobody in Australia thinks American accents sound anything like British accents.

E: Doreah in Game of Thrones is an example of a British accent that is very close to an Australian accent. Cate Blanchett or Geoffrey Rush are the kind of Aussies who sound somewhat British (from an Aussie perspective).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9_h0egj9YY

Doctor Spaceman fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Apr 5, 2015

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...

What the gently caress?

This can't possibly have been a real show.

You're a time altering wizard, admit it Deadpool.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Isn't that show Clooney's first gig?

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

pentyne posted:

I would like to open this threads rules up to vote according to the rules of parliamentary procedure.

Or we could just get rid of the rules altogether and just let Deadpool probate who he wants for whatever reason he wants to because he's a mod and he doesn't have to justify poo poo to anyone else?

That way we can stop adding to this increasingly silly list of rules. If we all behave like rational people and don't start stupid loving slap fights about stupid poo poo no one will get probated and the thread will be the better for it.

Or, you know, write up a loving TVIV Ten Commandments or some other :goonsay: poo poo like that.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Kenneth Branagh grew up in Ireland but he got rid of his Irish accent. It's crazy when you adopt a completely different accent in everyday speech and not just for acting roles.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

pentyne posted:

I propose that rule 3 and 6 be merged for the sake of clarity for the posters familiar with the rules and to remove any ambiguity regarding posters regarded as "trolls". Also, any posters unfamiliar with the rules can be quickly sanctioned and taught the error of their ways.

Rule 3 is actually outdated in the OP because that poster is currently not allowed in the thread. Also you may chose to ignore Irish Joe if you wish but at your own peril.

hcreight posted:

What the gently caress?

This can't possibly have been a real show.

You're a time altering wizard, admit it Deadpool.

Oh, it's real buddy. What is the premise of a show about an Emergency Room in Chicago featuring the talents of George Clooney and Mary McDonnell too much to believe?

lelandjs posted:

Or we could just get rid of the rules altogether and just let Deadpool probate who he wants for whatever reason he wants to because he's a mod and he doesn't have to justify poo poo to anyone else?

The only person I will continue to chose to punish without justification is Occupation because he's Occupation.

X-O fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Apr 5, 2015

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I just wanted to pop in here and talk about a couple of episodes of a new British show called "Wild Things."

While it apes a lot of stuff from shows like Wipeout, MXC/Takeshi's Castle, Estate of Panic, and Escape Game Dero, Wild Things manages to borrow a lot of what made them good while still adding something new to the mix.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDvU4z9Otuw

Now wait, hear me out on this one: The gimmick here is that the people in the fursuits can't see anything in those suits, so they have a teammate on the sidelines talking them through it. It goes about as well as you'd think, with most of the spotters' advice being limited to shouting the word 'RUN!' and warnings about trees and other obstacles roughly two seconds after the fact.

An obstacle course starts out each show, and a combination of blind man's bluff and red light-green light finishes it. Between those two is a rotating series of physical and mental challenges that could best be summed up by a scene from the first episode: four essentially blindfolded people wildly swinging bats at the same pinata but only managing to hit each other instead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21Ot--OHdLs

It's an hour of cartoonish, goofy-assed slapstick with a dixieland version of Peter and the Wolf as its theme song, and so far I love the hell out of it.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Mu Zeta posted:

Kenneth Branagh grew up in Ireland but he got rid of his Irish accent. It's crazy when you adopt a completely different accent in everyday speech and not just for acting roles.

Sometimes it just has to be done. My dad had to drop his Geordie accent because fifty years ago he would have been literally unemployable outside of his home region, and shut out of the better jobs there. I would assume that Branagh had a similar motivation.

lelandjs posted:

Well yeah sure, because mods doing that never leads to cliqueish dipshittery. Why not go one better? If you can find him, and if no one else can help, maybe you can re-hire... The AA-Team.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

lelandjs posted:

That way we can stop adding to this increasingly silly list of rules. If we all behave like rational people and don't start stupid loving slap fights about stupid poo poo no one will get probated and the thread will be the better for it.

Or, you know, write up a loving TVIV Ten Commandments or some other :goonsay: poo poo like that.

Uh, are you under the impression someone other than Deadpool is making those rules?

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

muscles like this? posted:

Isn't that show Clooney's first gig?

No, it's just role the one that made him famous. He played recurring characters on The Facts of Life and Roseanne before he made it big starring in E/R. (In my defense, the reason I used to watch The Facts of Life was because I was 8 years old and had a crush on Jo.)

Edit: OH, clicked that link. WTF there was another ER? As a child of the 80s that grew up watching grew up watching too much TV, and remembers watching the Fratellis back in the day, I don't even remember that as a thing that exists. I assume that intro is some fake thing like Too Many Cooks.

thrakkorzog fucked around with this message at 11:28 on Apr 5, 2015

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Gapey Joe Stalin posted:

Sometimes it just has to be done. My dad had to drop his Geordie accent because fifty years ago he would have been literally unemployable outside of his home region, and shut out of the better jobs there. I would assume that Branagh had a similar motivation.

Wandering around London with an Irish accent in the 70s and 80s wasn't really advisable, as after an IRA attack the coopers were likely to arrest anybody even vaguely Irish sounding that happened to be within ten miles at the time, and if there was no evidence that you had anything to do with it they'd just make some.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Mu Zeta posted:

Kenneth Branagh grew up in Belfast in Northern Ireland, which has, quite possibly, the worst accent in the entirety of the United Kingdom. That he (and Liam Neeson) was able to lose his accent is no doubt a large part of the reason he was able to become internationally famous. James Nesbitt didn't achieve the same level of fame because he never lost his accent. That Jamie Dornan has apparently become very popular without losing his continues to perplex me.

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

Gapey Joe Stalin posted:

Makes sense, I grew up with a Texas accent, and ditched it because it's not an accent that's known for sounding particularly smart, so I switched to a more general American accent. It usually only comes out if I'm hanging out with other Texans, or if I'm really drunk. If I start talking like Dan Rather or Matthew McConaughey, then there's a better than average chance I'm about to vomit.

I actually used to use my accent to occasionally troll people back when I was working tech support. Some people would call in and insist that we were all in India, when we were in Austin. I would just start using an exaggerated version of my Texas accent to prove that I was in the US. "Y'all need to be looking for that black box with flashing lights. Look for that power cable at the back of the box and yank it loose. Alright, now we gotta do 30 Mississippis to know when to plug it back in."

thrakkorzog fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Apr 5, 2015

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Wheat Loaf posted:

That Jamie Dornan has apparently become very popular without losing his continues to perplex me.

Have you seen what Jamie Dornan looks like

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Wheat Loaf posted:

Kenneth Branagh grew up in Belfast in Northern Ireland, which has, quite possibly, the worst accent in the entirety of the United Kingdom. That he (and Liam Neeson) was able to lose his accent is no doubt a large part of the reason he was able to become internationally famous. James Nesbitt didn't achieve the same level of fame because he never lost his accent. That Jamie Dornan has apparently become very popular without losing his continues to perplex me.

Colin Farrell's good at hiding his accent, because it's pretty thick Dublin Knacker.

This is from when they were filming Daredevil. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xif09V0BG_s

Rocksicles fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Apr 5, 2015

• Locked thread