Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheSpartacus
Oct 30, 2010
HEY GUYS I'VE FLOWN HELICOPTERS IN THIS GAME BEFORE AND I AM AN EXPERT. ALSO, HOW DO I START THE ENGINE?
Im so excited for this! If people are still giving out keys via wait list, I'd love a US key and would really appreciate it. You can pm me or email me at spartaus at gmail.com

Clarification: my email is correct as written.

TheSpartacus fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Apr 6, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

So I fully pimp fit my fuso and decided to take it for a spin. Map was North, and by the time a Kongo on the other team had figured out he should dodge he was down to 1/3rd HP. I then nearly wipe an Omaha out in one salvo (hint, going half speed in a cruiser on the firing line is a bad idea). I turn back to help at cap but I'm not needed, and swing down the leftmost gap between islands to get back to the 1-2 line fight. This is of course a mistake and I eat two torpedoes from a destroyer, but I otherwise get through, and start firing at another Fuso at extreme range. I switch broadsides, and whaddya know, the rear turrets are pointing the right way to deal with the return of the destroyer and I get him to back off after a bad salvo from each of us.

At this point a Cleveland on our team chimes in how we're going to lose because I suck as I merrily put a few salvoes and a citadel hit into a fleeing carrier and shift to making it rain on the fuso. He maintains that I'm bad as I drop three straight salvoes on a maneuvering Fuso at 20 km to kill it, and then turn and pick off the destroyer as it comes back in.

End Result:

(And no, the cleveland talking smack wasn't the one with 1900 xp, it was the one with 900 xp.)

Apparently consistent hits from 20k are actually the other guy and citadel hits are RNG.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
I've been having issues with ghost ships in my long-range bombardment on the Fuso. Still learning to lead my targets better.

While the Fuso's less accurate than the Kongo, it does have 2 more guns which means 4 more shots. It's better as a 10km-ish brawler in that regard.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

EponymousMrYar posted:

I've been having issues with ghost ships in my long-range bombardment on the Fuso. Still learning to lead my targets better.

While the Fuso's less accurate than the Kongo, it does have 2 more guns which means 4 more shots. It's better as a 10km-ish brawler in that regard.

Outside 12k or so you're trying to drop the salvo on the tip of their bow basically for battleships. I was actually getting solid results at longer range when I got the feel for that.

I know it's turboheresy but I want out of my cleveland because the heavy cruisers feel more like pocket battleships that don't have to wait a week to fire again and shoot straight, and I like battleships.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

TheSpartacus posted:

Im so excited for this! If people are still giving out keys via wait list, I'd love a US key and would really appreciate it. You can pm me or email me at spartaus at gmail.com

Clarification: my email is correct as written.

I don't think there are any keys left, but if someone jumps in the thread and says they have 10 to give out, I'll work through the thread and make sure everyone is on the list.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

So I just ran into a pair of pubbies who think charging dead on into a Cleveland in a destroyer is a good idea.

Thanks for the XP I guess?

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:
AA in higher tier games makes me sad. Watching a BB mulch my bombers uncool. :( And if you accidentally wonder into a cruiser's AA range welp enjoy your super huge torpedo fan (that will probably consist of like 3 torpedoes since the rest of the squadron died).

xthetenth posted:

I know it's turboheresy but I want out of my cleveland because the heavy cruisers feel more like pocket battleships that don't have to wait a week to fire again and shoot straight, and I like battleships.
I actually agree with this; outside the Pensacola's fragility I enjoy the play style of it, so I'm looking forward to the New Orleans.

Tuco22
Jul 11, 2013
Outside of the Phoenix there hasn't been a particular ship I've disliked in that line. I guess once you get the Des Moines the Baltimore will start to feel sort of underwhelming if you still have it and it still pulls the short straw in MM.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Tuco22 posted:

Outside of the Phoenix there hasn't been a particular ship I've disliked in that line. I guess once you get the Des Moines the Baltimore will start to feel sort of underwhelming if you still have it and it still pulls the short straw in MM.

I dislike the St. Louis because it's too slow. This is why I torture myself with high-tier destroyers and Japanese cruisers.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

I dislike the St. Louis because it's too slow. This is why I torture myself with high-tier destroyers and Japanese cruisers.

Slow ships suck really hard, I understand (I say as I desperately wish for slow-rear end US battleships).

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.

xthetenth posted:

Slow ships suck really hard, I understand (I say as I desperately wish for slow-rear end US battleships).
:agreed: 21 knots gonna suck so hard

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Insert name here posted:

:agreed: 21 knots gonna suck so hard

Fast like a Kawachi, but god is it going to be nice being in a well laid out ship. I want my New Mexico back.

At least you've got good range with BB guns.

Shalhavet
Dec 10, 2010

This post is terrible
Doctor Rope
Has anyone gotten a list of what modifications are worthwhile and which are terrible? The wording on some is poor enough that I can't tell if they nerf or buff stats.

Also, I can't see anyone in Teamspeak. I get the following:

<17:35:10> insufficient client permissions (failed on i_client_max_channel_subscriptions)
<17:35:17> insufficient client permissions (failed on b_channel_join_permanent)

vvv Radical.

Shalhavet fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Apr 6, 2015

subhelios
May 26, 2013

Unfortunately, there is no such game as 'World of Submarines.'

Shalhavet posted:

Has anyone gotten a list of what modifications are worthwhile and which are terrible? The wording on some is poor enough that I can't tell if they nerf or buff stats.

<17:35:10> insufficient client permissions (failed on i_client_max_channel_subscriptions)

This has been resolved.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Poil posted:

I'm sure the average botes player could manage that just fine. Or... do you intend to go with the full 1300 crew experience? Either way the lag might be an issue. :v:

I was thinking more that the number of crew would act as HP and efficiency modifiers for individual "crew" representation (and all crew can serve in some form of damage control capacity, even if the dedicated DC crew is better). Lose 50% of a "Gunners" crew (HP) and efficiency drops off - with your medical station (and medical crew!) trying to patch things up (from a pool of wounded). You can speed things up by just sending a full crew counter over to the medical station, at the cost of not being able to use that crew for awhile (so either that Gun station goes offline/greatly reduced efficieny or you plug it with some other crew counter).

Fires and above the citadel hits would get a lot more scary if they are taking chunks out of your fighting efficiency and damage control ability.

(All this just so we can have a casualties tracker for individual ships and each side of a battle display at the end of a match)

Not that Wargaming will do anything like that, 95% of players would run their battleships aground trying to manage crew while exchanging fire and dodging torpedo bombers :v:

Pimpmust fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Apr 6, 2015

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Shalhavet posted:

Never not buff main battery accuracy unless you have a serious need for more AA effectiveness. Making your reloads longer for faster turret turn isn't worth it at all. Making your magazine more durable is always right.

I personally feel reducing the chance of flooding and fire is the right pick, but steering engine and engine crits do suck. I always go with faster rudder shift time, but I do think there is a case to be made for faster passive recovery times, especially on battleships where a fire is easily survivable and cooldowns are long enough flooding could be hellish.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Shalhavet posted:

The 10%+ load time is a nerf in exchange for faster turret turn rate. Everything else ought to be straightforward.

It sucks that you can't pimp out a Kongo with more crap. That ship is phenomenal.

xthetenth posted:

My gut feeling tells me that 16-inch guns at tier 5 will be the most frustrating thing in the world, but I cannot turn down more ships.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

My gut feeling tells me that 16-inch guns at tier 5 will be the most frustrating thing in the world, but I cannot turn down more ships.

16 inch guns? Colorado's a 7.

Speed is 23 knots or below unless noted.
Michigan (South Carolina for people who don't use goofy designations) is 8x12" with two front and two rear turrets.
Arkansas is 12x12" with two front turrets, two amidships facing aft and two rear turrets. I guess be a slow Myagi or something.
New York is 10x14" with two front turrets, one amidships facing aft, and two rear turrets. Come to think of this, it's probably good for trying to get as much time as possible against destroyers that you have more guns aft.
New Mexico is 12x14" with two front turrets and two aft turrets. Much better deck armor than the Fuso, which doesn't get its refit counted apparently.
Colorado is 8x16" with two front turrets and two aft turrets.
North Carolina is 9x16" with two front turrets and one aft turret and gets up to 27 knots.
Iowa is 9x16" with two front turrets and one aft turret and gets up to 33 knots, and is probably the fastest battleship the game will have.
Montana is 12x16" with two front and two aft turrets. Speed is likely 28 knots.

xthetenth fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Apr 6, 2015

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

xthetenth posted:

16 inch guns? Colorado's a 7.

Speed is 23 knots or below unless noted.
Michigan (South Carolina for people who don't use goofy designations) is 8x12" with two front and two rear turrets.
Arkansas is 12x12" with two front turrets, two amidships facing aft and two rear turrets. I guess be a slow Myagi or something.
New York is 10x14" with two front turrets, one amidships facing aft, and two rear turrets. Come to think of this, it's probably good for trying to get as much time as possible against destroyers that you have more guns aft.
New Mexico is 12x14" with two front turrets and two aft turrets. Much better deck armor than the Fuso, which doesn't get its refit counted apparently.
Colorado is 8x16" with two front turrets and two aft turrets.
North Carolina is 9x16" with two front turrets and two aft turrets and gets up to 27 knots.
Iowa is 9x16" with two front turrets and two aft turrets and gets up to 33 knots, and is probably the fastest battleship the game will have.
Montana is 12x16" with two front and two aft turrets. Speed is likely 28 knots.

:crossarms:

Shalhavet
Dec 10, 2010

This post is terrible
Doctor Rope

Hell of a game to finish this ship off. Love me some sky cancer.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

God dammit. That's a sign I should've been asleep two (aft turrets) hours ago.

Shalhavet posted:

Hell of a game to finish this ship off. Love me some sky cancer.

I want to love sky cancer, but it's exactly as good as your targets aren't, and I don't enjoy the huge gap in results that leads to.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.

xthetenth posted:

Fast like a Kawachi, but god is it going to be nice being in a well laid out ship. I want my New Mexico back.

At least you've got good range with BB guns.
Gonna be hilarious to see how much faster planes get hosed up by actual proper AA

xthetenth posted:

I want to love sky cancer, but it's exactly as good as your targets aren't, and I don't enjoy the huge gap in results that leads to.
I might just stop playing CVs for a while. I really wanted a Lex but as you climb higher in tiers people in general gain more competence in dodging torpedoes and the AA starts getting ridiculous and I'm just not having as much fun in my Ranger than I was in my Saipan. Maybe it's me that's just horrible and I need to get good but it's such a bummer. :smith:

Insert name here fucked around with this message at 10:44 on Apr 6, 2015

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Nah, there's only so much you can do right now as a CV driver in the higher tiers. Those AA fields start getting ridiculous and it's not like you can do much to negate them short of bum rushing and hoping your aim is true/no one decides to turn.

Not really sure how to get around that without giving CV drivers more tools to affect their air groups approach (speed boost? Larger air groups?) when everyone and their uncle can pop planes no matter what you do.

Wouldn't be so bad if you weren't restricted to maybe 2-4 "attacks" per game.

Pimpmust fucked around with this message at 11:07 on Apr 6, 2015

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!
I finally got a Cleveland recently. Played a few matches with it and it seems so much better than its IJN counterpart. I knew the Cleveland had nice AA (from losing many torp bombers as a carrier) but I wasn't fully prepared to what it could actually do. 2 Squads of torpedo planes tried to fly right over me. I had not seen them comming, so when all the AA batteries opened up I was really surprised. I activated the Cruiser's AA ability only to see the 2 squads of torpedo's disappear. Only 1 plane made it back alive.

EponymousMrYar posted:

8 to 12 km is a great range for the Fuso. At 8, you aim for the water line of a ship, at around 12, you can still get some plunging fire. Outside of those ranges (farther anyways) the Fuso becomes rather useless. The spread it just too bad and its not uncommong to have a perfect lead on a ship and still miss every shot.

OSad
Feb 29, 2012

Dalael posted:

I finally got a Cleveland recently. Played a few matches with it and it seems so much better than its IJN counterpart. I knew the Cleveland had nice AA (from losing many torp bombers as a carrier) but I wasn't fully prepared to what it could actually do. 2 Squads of torpedo planes tried to fly right over me. I had not seen them comming, so when all the AA batteries opened up I was really surprised. I activated the Cruiser's AA ability only to see the 2 squads of torpedo's disappear. Only 1 plane made it back alive.

Even though the Cleveland's AA is a bit overwhelming right now, they really do feel like they're intended to be stuck on the side of a battleship as a consumable and be used as an AA battery. Against Battleships, the small caliber of the guns make it hard to punch through armor, and even the Myogi can tear out huge chunks of its HP at any given time, as I've found out playing mine. The Aoba with its better range and small maneuverability boost fair better at the long-range battleship support role, though I don't feel like it chews up planes as fast.

Instead, the Cleveland has so many guns, and the caliber is just so right to fight its tier counterparts, it can safely ignore its original prerogative and do what it actually does best in-game; ignore protecting the battleships, and murder Cruisers/Destroyers disgustingly fast.

Crash74 posted:

WOW the anime nuts and poney fuckers on the beta forums, is it always this bad on there? Why... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OX4c61ZZGFc :barf:

God I hope this is a troll, plz let it be a troll.

Try saying "Poi." in the game sometime. People blow the hell up in anger even though they don't really know anything about it, for no reason really. Works every time.

OSad fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Apr 6, 2015

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

I mean who doesn't love poi?

Hagop
May 14, 2012

First one out of the Ranger gets a prize!

OSad posted:

Even though the Cleveland's AA is a bit overwhelming right now, they really do feel like they're intended to be stuck on the side of a battleship as a consumable and be used as an AA battery. Against Battleships, the small caliber of the guns make it hard to punch through armor, and even the Myogi can tear out huge chunks of its HP at any given time, as I've found out playing mine. The Aoba with its better range and small maneuverability boost fair better at the long-range battleship support role, though I don't feel like it chews up planes as fast.

The reason I find that Cleveland fairs worse against Battleships then Aoba is that Battleships know the Cleveland will eat them up if they leave it alive and target them first. You can improve your BB lines chance of winning just by diving around like idiot at 18km from the other sides BB line in a Cleveland. As half of the other team will stop shooting at your BBs and fail to shoot you until they sink.

If the BBs don't shoot at you can close to 10km ish and drop the hurt on anything t6 and under. The guns are small, but they can still pound BBs as long as you're dropping rounds on the deck instead of trying to shoot through the sides.

Hagop fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Apr 6, 2015

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

There is no reason that they shouldn't have more players in this test. As it stands going against something 4 tiers higher is an effort in futility. Even more so when you are talking carriers.

Edit: This honestly isn't a fun game to play alone either.

Zotix fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Apr 6, 2015

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Supposedly there's a patch dropping tomorrow that adds piasters, premium ships, bug fixes, and some balance changes. Any euros wanna confirm that? It was posted on the EU forums, but apparently the US community manager went on vacation or something without telling anyone.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Vengarr posted:

Supposedly there's a patch dropping tomorrow that adds piasters, premium ships, bug fixes, and some balance changes. Any euros wanna confirm that? It was posted on the EU forums, but apparently the US community manager went on vacation or something without telling anyone.
I don't see anything about this on the EU forums.

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

Vengarr posted:

I looked at the EU forums for this and for that, I will never forgive you.

subhelios
May 26, 2013

Unfortunately, there is no such game as 'World of Submarines.'

Burt posted:

I looked at the EU forums for this and for that, I will never forgive you.

TheFluff posted:

I don't see anything about this on the EU forums.

The first two victims. Patients Zero?

E:

Don't ruin it. Making people go through Wargaming's BS to find the one or two actually useful things is funny.

subhelios fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Apr 6, 2015

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
He might be referring to this https://eu.wargaming.net/support/News/NewsItem/View/395/world-of-warships---0303-patch-release

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

OSad posted:

Try saying "Poi." in the game sometime. People blow the hell up in anger even though they don't really know anything about it, for no reason really. Works every time.
Every time someone says this I immediately mention Hawaii in some respect.

Sadly this is usually less amusing than I hope for.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

I'm pretty sure the appropriate response to that sort of thing is asking whether they've successfully impregnated their pillow, and inquire as to whether it's rude to ask what their kid's thread count will be.

Yeah, I've seen indications it's soon, but WG's being super secretive for some reason.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Is there an appropriate way to get close with a battleship to another battleship to bring the derpy guns to bear? Or is it better to attempt to hit at long range? I really have no clue how to properly play one.

xthetenth posted:

and inquire as to whether it's rude to ask what their kid's thread count will be.
Was that an intentional Kill La Kill reference (sort of)? :v:

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Poil posted:

Was that an intentional Kill La Kill reference (sort of)? :v:

very nice username/post combo

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Poil posted:

Is there an appropriate way to get close with a battleship to another battleship to bring the derpy guns to bear? Or is it better to attempt to hit at long range? I really have no clue how to properly play one.

Approach at an angle, preferably one you can bring all your guns to bear while they can't, since they'll either turn to bring everything to bear and give you better shots on their flat armor or they'll turn away and give you an opportunity for raking shots along their length. The derpy secondaries are mainly for punishing cruisers/DD's for getting too close though they can certainly contribute to BB on BB pseudo-violence. They won't do nearly as much damage as a main gun salvo though I've finished ships off with them.

Figure out where you're good at predicting shots while dodging others and try to stay at that range/shell travel time. It's different for every BB I've found up to the Fuso (still working on Nagato.)

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

EponymousMrYar posted:

Approach at an angle, preferably one you can bring all your guns to bear while they can't, since they'll either turn to bring everything to bear and give you better shots on their flat armor or they'll turn away and give you an opportunity for raking shots along their length. The derpy secondaries are mainly for punishing cruisers/DD's for getting too close though they can certainly contribute to BB on BB pseudo-violence. They won't do nearly as much damage as a main gun salvo though I've finished ships off with them.

Figure out where you're good at predicting shots while dodging others and try to stay at that range/shell travel time. It's different for every BB I've found up to the Fuso (still working on Nagato.)
Thanks. I've managed to get to the Kongo seemingly without knowing how to bb at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Cruisers won't sweat the secondary guns much, but they can definitely hurt destroyers (and are a strong reason for destroyer drivers to get good with torps at range, rather than diving into 2-3km).