Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Sinteres posted:

I like BCS a lot so far, but I'd be very surprised if BCS ever ends up being as good as BB. I think the Mike episode this season was a good episode of television, but it felt like it belonged on a different show that's too beholden to being the Official Breaking Bad Prequel instead of a character driven show that happens to feature a younger Saul Goodman. I think Mike in general feels a little out of place; obviously the age thing is something you have to ignore with all the returning actors, but it's a little harder to suspend disbelief with a 68 year old guy who's playing a character we're supposed to believe is going to continue to be a badass for years to come. I guess I'm mostly ranting about Mike, but while I love both Bob Odenkirk and the Jimmy character, knowing where his story is heading really seems pretty limiting too. I'm sure there are still some surprises down the line, and maybe we'll get some sidequel/sequel stuff in there to mix things up, but it's hard for me to imagine a prequel relying perhaps a bit too heavily on the original is ever going to surpass it.

If I understand the timeline correctly, BCS only takes place a few years before BB, so technically it's BB that has the problem is it not? And even in BB, he says "I'm getting to old" as he sits there dying. I don't think BCS is relying on BB at all, so far it's done rather well on it's own. It'd only be relying on BB if it had Jesse Pinkman cameos every so often, it doesn't. It's purely about Jimmy and Mike right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Duke
May 19, 2004

The Angel from my Nightmare

What's amazing is that the Super Toy Run was exactly as they advertised, and they let they kids adjust the layout of the store for easy picking. So jealous of these dudes.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Ravane posted:

If I understand the timeline correctly, BCS only takes place a few years before BB, so technically it's BB that has the problem is it not? And even in BB, he says "I'm getting to old" as he sits there dying. I don't think BCS is relying on BB at all, so far it's done rather well on it's own. It'd only be relying on BB if it had Jesse Pinkman cameos every so often, it doesn't. It's purely about Jimmy and Mike right now.

This show can't retroactively make Breaking Bad worse -- that show already is what it is. I do think Jonathan Banks was maybe a little long in the tooth for the role even then, but now he's a few years older playing a few years younger, which doesn't really work for me when he's supposed to be this scary guy who punches people out sometimes. Yeah, characters mention his age occasionally, so it's not like they're totally ignoring the issue, but it just doesn't work for me. Odenkirk looks loving ridiculous in the "Young Jimmy" flashbacks too, and he obviously doesn't look younger than he was in Breaking Bad in the main story either, but at least he's not an actual senior citizen playing a physically demanding part.

I'm saying all of this as someone who loves the show and thinks it's one of the best shows on tv. I just think there are obvious problems caused by doing a prequel to a show with the same cast several years later, and while I'm happy to go along for the ride, I think that and the lack of suspense from knowing where these characters end up are serious handicaps to overcome when comparing the show with the original. Maybe you genuinely prefer BCS, and that's great, but I think a lot of people are really just suffering from present bias when they say it's better than Breaking Bad.

Eezee
Apr 3, 2011

My double chin turned out to be a huge cyst

Ravane posted:

I've honestly enjoyed Better Call Saul far more than I enjoyed Breaking Bad. I sincerely believe it's the pacing of the show. BCS is a bit faster than BB and is consistent, whereas BB has slow episodes and fast episodes which all serve to build tension. And that's nice and all, but I sincerely cannot watch an episode where the main character swats at a fly for forty-five minutes. BCS is entertaining and builds tension well without forcing its viewers to go through hell for it. BB's last seasons were very fast paced, and that's where I most enjoyed the show, but the first few seasons killed me with slow pacing and brought me back with good plot and character development.

Fly was one of the best BB episodes. :colbert:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The Duke posted:

What's amazing is that the Super Toy Run was exactly as they advertised, and they let they kids adjust the layout of the store for easy picking. So jealous of these dudes.

Yeah I figured it would be gamed as hell but nope, it's as good as it seemed. Also cool that Mike O'Malley is a nice guy, kind of throws his Justified role into sharp relief.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Eezee posted:

That's an opinion, not a fact. Considering it was one of the most polarizing episodes of BB, with half the audience loving it, and the other half hating it, it's left up to the individual to determine whether or not it was good. I consider it one of the worst episodes of BB and the reason why BB wasn't the best show on TV when it aired; it had no plot direction and very little action. I get that the entire episode was meant as a moment of silence before the giant storm that came next, but that doesn't excuse how boring the episode was. And that's what Breaking Bad suffered with quite a bit throughout its run, were these episodes of nothingness. To me it's a waste of time.

Again, BCS can be slow-paced for short periods (it's mostly fast), but it has consistency and gives you a lot of action in each episode. Granted, it's only season 1. Also take a look at its characters, Jimmy is likeable, Mike is likeable, KIM IS 15,000 TIMES BETTER THAN SKYLAR, Jim's brother is 58 times better than pancake king (but only 13 times better than breakfast). BB had a lot of unlikeable characters, and sometimes it's important to have these characters, but not when they're so terrible (I hosed Ted terrible) that you constantly hope that Walt kills them all. That ruins the show. I don't have that problem with BCS so far, even Vick the Dick is pretty likeable and I hope he stays on the show.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Eezee posted:

Fly is polarizing as gently caress, and anyone who's not 100% on board with the show can easily get completely turned off BB by that episode. The one person I knew who I expected to absolutely love BB (he saw The Wire 5+ times from beginning to end) stuck with the show until Fly before he gave up. Season 4/5 easily contained some of the best TV of the last decade but if you have to tell people they need to skip 1/2 a season to get through a show then maybe the show just isn't for them.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Who actually saw that Fly episode more than once?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I liked it even more the second time.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I would never skip Fly

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Ravane posted:

BB had a lot of unlikeable characters, and sometimes it's important to have these characters, but not when they're so terrible (I hosed Ted terrible) that you constantly hope that Walt kills them all.
Hot takes right here.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Hot takes right here.

Let's take another equally popular show with characters that are unlikeable. Game of Thrones, for example.

Let's name a few common hated characters: Joffrey, Cersei, Bran.

Why is Joffrey hated? Because he's a giant oval office and a complete sociopath. He's immature and not fit to be a king. He's hated for the right reasons, and he's an incredibly compelling character that Game of Thrones would not be the same without.

Why is Bran hated? His character development as compared to other characters is severely lacking and his plotline has barely advanced in the last four seasons. He could just be omitted from GoT and the show would still be the same.

Let's go back to Skylar. Everyone hates her because she's a complete bitch, like I'm gonna smoke while pregnant bitchy. And she's a complete idiot. She's either a caricature or actually a really terrible person. And she's not plotworthy. Joffrey was a king, he's integral to the plot. She's just a bad wife and a bad mother and not plotworthy . If she was toned down or taken out of the story completely, BB would have been much better. It's important to have despicable villains. But Skylar's not a villain, she's just a terribly written person. And she doesn't deserve the amount of screen time she gets. She's awfully boring and uncompelling.

Every show has characters like this, but Bran doesn't get near the amount of screentime that Skylar gets, and that's a bad thing.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Gene Hackman Fan posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=USL2Dhebktg

It was a low budget cartoon *and* a low budget hints-and-tips show. But yeah. The prize round was the only good part of that trainwreck out of either season, which isn't saying a whole lot:

Wow, I haven't seen that show since it was actually on TV, I guess it seemed normal at the time but I had no recollection of how 90s As gently caress it was.

So this is what Retsupurae is? It's like really, really bad Rifftrax.

Mu Zeta posted:

Who actually saw that Fly episode more than once?

I'm excited to get up to that episode so I can decide whether I love it or despise it!

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Ravane posted:

Let's go back to Skylar. Everyone hates her because she's a complete bitch, like I'm gonna smoke while pregnant bitchy. And she's a complete idiot. She's either a caricature or actually a really terrible person. And she's not plotworthy. Joffrey was a king, he's integral to the plot. She's just a bad wife and a bad mother and not plotworthy . If she was toned down or taken out of the story completely, BB would have been much better. It's important to have despicable villains. But Skylar's not a villain, she's just a terribly written person. And she doesn't deserve the amount of screen time she gets. She's awfully boring and uncompelling.
Hot takes right here.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

raditts posted:

So this is what Retsupurae is? It's like really, really bad Rifftrax.

Retsupurae is actually why I came to something awful. What's funny is that I don't play video games at all really. Diabeetus is actually a really decent commentator, and he and slowbeef tend to play off each other pretty well. But RPs can be hit or miss, some are good, some are hilarious, some are just bad. They're not professional comedians, so the quality of videos that they turn out is relatively good for it just being a hobby.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

Its true, there is a lot of plotlines that could have been trimmed waaay down in BB. A lot of it is boring. Better call saul though, that show is at least twice as boring. I like the show, but drat, there was a whole episode about a guy considering getting into elder law. Just considering it.

Also Joffrey is the best ever.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Hot takes right here.

Are you seriously 40 years old? Kinda pathetic dude. I might be the worst non-serious poster on TVIV, but you're the worst serious poster on here. Like you're really sad.

Fooz posted:

Also Joffrey is the best ever.

agreed.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Ravane posted:

Are you seriously 40 years old? Kinda pathetic dude. I might be the worst non-serious poster on TVIV, but you're the worst serious poster on here. Like you're really sad.
Hot takes right here.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Hot takes right here.

Deadpool, I'll agree to a month probation if you probate this guy for a month too. I genuinely just want to gently caress with him.

Edit: gently caress it, I'll agree to a year (or whatever is bigger than a month) probation, if you probate this guy for a month.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Ravane posted:

Deadpool, I'll agree to a month probation if you probate this guy for a month too. I genuinely just want to gently caress with him.

Edit: gently caress it, I'll agree to a year (or whatever is bigger than a month) probation, if you probate this guy for a month.
I agree to this.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

I AGREE TO THIS.

I will never forget this.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

I agree to this.

I'm make sure they'll build a wall somewhere and carve your name in it.

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde
christ just ban both of them

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

I like how there's an eleven minute gap between those two messages you sent. That's because nobody in real life gives a poo poo about you, not enough to actually respond.

You should be glad to have me, I'll actually respond. And I'm glad to give up a year, because it means less to me than a month does to you.

Edit: Wait, do you actually tell your, I'm hoping equally 40-year-old, friends that you're trying to gently caress with some random guy on the internet? Why the gently caress would anyone give a poo poo about what you do on a random internet forum? I'm genuinely curious because that's super pathetic.

Ravane fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Apr 7, 2015

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah you totally don't care about this place.

Ravane posted:

I DIDN'T loving CREATE THIS ISSUE!

When I first came on here to TVIV, I was being completely sincere about everything, My first thread was the Parks and Rec thread. Some dude made a joke about wanting vegetarians to kill themselves, which I said was very offensive (Being vegetarian myself). I got called a Social Justice Warrior for loving defending vegetarians. Make any other joke, don't tell a class of people to kill themselves for no reason.

I go to the Arrow thread, which is full of comic talk. I don't read comics and it's genuinely my first exposure to the Arrow. I'm asking questions about the Arrow and about its villains. I don't loving know the difference between Slade Wilson and Deathstroke. I know Slade from Teen Titans, I never assumed him to be the same as Deathstroke. A simple Go gently caress yourselves to the people who called me a troll for not knowing the difference.

Then comes the joke about not knowing who Alfred Hitchcock was on this thread. Of course I've heard of Psycho, but no I had no idea who Alfred Hitchcock was and that's not trolling, no matter what I said to save face and no matter what others said. I didn't know that he was a famous director, who gives a gently caress. My PhD's not in watching movies guys, it's in Biochemistry. And from then on, every small thing I don't know from the very specific to the very general has had me being called a troll.

So go gently caress yourselves, all of you, because I'm sick of being called a troll, when I'm not trolling. You guys made me into this "troll" person. Every time I post my opinion, it's always "Oh Ravane's just trolling." Go gently caress yourselves for being so dismissive.

I've been completely serious for the last week or so, and I've still got a bunch of Ravane's trolling posts, which means it's not my problem, it's yours. It's gotten to the point where if I even slightly disagree with any of you, you immediately claim "Ravane's trolling" EVEN WHEN I'M loving RIGHT (I'M TALKING ABOUT YOU ZOUX AND YOUR RACIST TIRADE!).

But the thing is I don't give a poo poo that you have called me a troll. Just give me the chance to loving change and post normally. You guys treat me like poo poo on here to the point that one of you asked me to "kill myself". WHAT THE gently caress! When have I ever told any of you guys to kill yourselves? Never! I value you guys decently enough that I'd never say anything like that, even when I say gently caress off, I say it half jokingly because I get you guys are actual people with feelings. To the rear end in a top hat that told me to kill myself on this thread, gently caress you dude.

I don't think I've ever been that bad of a troll to warrant anyone to say that. I'm not bullying children here, I'm making loving DAD JOKES every once in a while. Literally, the hatred that you guys have for me is unwarranted. But it's gotten so bad, that I see random posts from new people in other threads that say "Oh it's just Ravane, nobody likes him." NEW PEOPLE that have barely even formed an opinion about me are getting on the Ravane hate train. Yeah, so you guys did make me a loving martyr to throw all your angst and hatred against. For what?

A couple questions: "Who is this, who is that?" A few dad jokes. Some slightly racist effort posts. And a whole lot of genuine opinions about how I feel about certain tv shows, which others who feel the same way don't get pinned. Not the way I do.

TL;DR for those of you with the attention span of a squirrel: Evaluate yourselves, the problem doesn't lie with me, it lies with you.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde

Mo0 posted:

christ just ban both of them

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

FactsAreUseless posted:

Please melt down. I want to watch you melt down.

Congrats shm, you got trolled.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
A man walks into a doctor's office. "Doctor," he says, "I'm terribly depressed. I feel completely pathetic and I worry that everyone thinks I am a joke."
The doctor says, "I have the perfect treatment. The great clown Ravane is in town. Go see him, you'll feel so much better about yourself and your lot in life."
"But doctor," the man sobs, "I am Ravane."

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Hope both of you enjoy your month long vacations.

Also if either of you post in this thread again when you come back you're banned.

X-O fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Apr 7, 2015

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
It's like summer vacation and Christmas rolled into one.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Well, that was a trip.

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde
Couch Chat: TV IV's Official American Justice Thread

Starring Bill Curtis as Deadpool

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
It's Christmas in April.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

6 hours is not a month :(

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Can't tell whether I'm glad or sad that I missed this action for a thread that maybe three of you will care about.

Manos del Sino
Apr 12, 2004

Original Pony
Soiled Meat

Zaggitz posted:

6 hours is not a month :(

That's the preprobating. It's like foreplay.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Ravane posted:

Let's take another equally popular show with characters that are unlikeable. Game of Thrones, for example.

Let's name a few common hated characters: Joffrey, Cersei, Bran.

Why is Joffrey hated? Because he's a giant oval office and a complete sociopath. He's immature and not fit to be a king. He's hated for the right reasons, and he's an incredibly compelling character that Game of Thrones would not be the same without.

Why is Bran hated? His character development as compared to other characters is severely lacking and his plotline has barely advanced in the last four seasons. He could just be omitted from GoT and the show would still be the same.

Every show has characters like this, but Bran doesn't get near the amount of screentime that Skylar gets, and that's a bad thing.

Or for a nice current example of a bad character, Kim from Better Call Saul.

He can't reply but seriously Kim has no character at all. She's a plot faucet.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Apr 7, 2015

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
Kim has character, she just doesn't seem to have agency.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Kim's character is not yet really developed, but no one's is except for Jimmy.

• Locked thread