Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

semicolonsrock
Aug 26, 2009

chugga chugga chugga
Proposed Budget: <$2,500

New or Used: Used, given the price range

Body Style: (e.g. 2 door? 4 door? Compact/Midsize/Fullsize Sedan? Truck? SUV?): Cheap, but large enough body to fit a very tall person when driving. Some compacts don't do this.

How will you be using the car?: Occasional road trips; grocery trips; other things which can't be accomplished with a bus or a bike. Basically I want to stop having to rent cars for crazy prices, and have a way to move heavy things long distances which doesn't involve carrying them on a bus.

What aspects are most important to you?: I would really, really like to never have to upkeep the car any more than a tune up every so often.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dipshit
Dec 21, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

semicolonsrock posted:

What aspects are most important to you?: I would really, really like to never have to upkeep the car any more than a tune up every so often.

One of these things, doesn't belong here. Any reliable transport that just needs oil changes is gonna be more than 2.5k, outside of some family sweetheart deals.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Adun posted:

Proposed Budget: $20-40k but flexible

New or Used: Either

Body Style: 4 door (wagon would be great)

How will you be using the car?: Probably somewhat of a unique circumstance. My wife and I have both lived in Manhattan since graduating from college and this would be the first car either of us own. The car itself would be a luxury, we only really need it for the weekends to get out of the city and probably would drive it just once or twice a week. Would prefer something like a wagon so that we have space to load our bikes into the back. My wife would also like something luxury although I don't really car either way. One that we've looked at a few times is like a 2012 Audi A3 Sportrac.

What aspects are most important to you?: Reliability and cost of ownership are the most important to me.

If reliability and total cost of ownership matter, do not buy an Audi. If you must, just buy the Jetta SportWagen which is both more practical (space wise) and less expensive.

If you live in Manhattan, where do you plan to park the vehicle? If you have access to parking, then size is less of an issue. I would then say something like a Subaru Outback, Acura TSX Wagon, maybe Cadillac CTS Wagon. You would also be well served by various CUVs of a small and midsize variety like the Honda CR-V, the Mazda CX-5, the Ford Explorer etc.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I find putting bikes in the backs of cars super annoying. I'd look into either a bike rack, even putting on a hitch and getting a hitch rack.

That also means you can get pretty much any car you want without worrying about trunk/hatch space.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

semicolonsrock posted:

Can you drive a manual? Can you learn?

Automatic transmissions are fine things, but when they go wrong they tend to cost as much as the vehicle is worth (or more) to fix. Manuals are also cheaper to build (sometimes) and tend to be put into cars that otherwise have few options / luxuries, outside of the world of high-performance enthusiast cars. Driving a manual also makes the fantasies about owning a Porsche or Lambo or something a bit more realistic.

Browse your local craigslist and take some cars for test drives. You'll be looking at small cars that are about 15 years old, or slightly larger cars that are a few years older. How tall are you?

Honda is pretty solid, if you're lucky you'll find something like a Civic or an Accord that's had its timing belt done fairly recently - they need that every 100 000 km / 60 000 miles or bad things happen, and it's not a cheap job (either you pay a shop > $800 or you spend an entire weekend doing it yourself, plus you spend $200 on tools / supplies).

The basic advice in AI used to be (still is?) "CCCA - Corolla, Camry, Civic, Accord" for the basic "I need a car" questions.

Pretty much every car at that budget point is going to have risks and issues. High mileage isn't necessarily a sign of impending doom, but it's something to look out for. Avoid luxury brands - BMW, Audi, Acura, etc. - because those cars at that price / age are just as prone to problems as something like a basic Honda or Ford, but replacement parts carry a luxury price tag. So even if you see a screaming deal on a late-90's funcar you should assume there's $2000 worth of needs-this-done-very-soon repairs lurking underneath.

Brakes, clutches (on manual-transmissions), pretty much all of the fluids (oil / coolant / powersteering / other hydraulic), light bulbs, and a bunch of other stuff are essentially "wear parts" - they'll need servicing or replacement every however many 1000s of miles. Tires are another, a full set of basic get-me-there-and-back tires will run around $400 new and are going to be needed within the first year, maybe year-and-a-half on any used car you buy that doesn't come with brand-spanking-new rubber.
What kind of budget for basic maintenance can you put together?
Where are you? Is winter weather going to be an issue?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

On top of all of that - at $2500, mechanical condition trumps just about everything else. If that's a hard budget, you may need to be willing to overlook something that has some minor body damage if it has solid maintenance records. A car that's depreciated to $2500 has a lot of time and miles on it; more than enough for even the best car to be deferred-maintennace'd to death.

If you really want something that won't need too much work (because at that age, all cars need some work) you need to find something that has been regularly maintained its entire life.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

I second all the above advice. Just want to add a little.

I don't know how tall is really tall, but if you fit, Ford Focus with the DOHC engine is another solid choice. It will need a little more maintenance than the CCCA group (not that much though), but parts tend to be cheaper.

4 years ago, my girlfriend (with my "help") bought basically the first one that we looked at at random (a ~$3000 '03 with 125k miles that had plenty of deferred maintenance needed. Don't do what we did.). We have ran it since then at about $1k maintenance per year, but that was including replacing the engine for something that was 1000% my fault (turned onto a side street through a big puddle in a rainstorm while literally thinking "this is a bad idea, when engines flood, it ruins them. I could just go the longer way and avoid this."). Take that out and it's closer to $700/yr, including all wear items/tires/etc. Some of that work I've done myself with a friend (most notably the big engine job), but some was done in a normal shop. It has also been super cheap to insure.

I know you're not looking for advice on this, but consider learning to do the basic stuff. It's really surprisingly easy. I didn't know anything when I bought this car, and now I know... well.. a little. Enough to get by.

Grumpwagon fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Apr 7, 2015

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Grumpwagon posted:

but that was including replacing the engine for something that was 1000% my fault (turned onto a side street through a big puddle in a rainstorm while literally thinking "this is a bad idea, when engines flood, it ruins them. I could just go the longer way and avoid this.").

That would have to be less a puddle, more a pond to do that.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

VideoTapir posted:

That would have to be less a puddle, more a pond to do that.

Yeah, the PO had installed a cold air intake that was really low on the car (like I said, we just bought the first one we came across basically). That was why I knew it was a bad idea to drive through it (but did anyway). The water came up to the frame, but I opened the door after the car stalled without getting water inside. All I mean is, I bought what was close to the worst case scenario example of a Focus and have still ran it for quite inexpensively for a good period of time. It's running better than it ever has, and when I suggested looking at something newer, she scoffed at me. I'd consider that a good buy.

As an aside, at the time we were driving back from looking at a really great rental that we missed renting because instead of driving and getting to the office the next morning right as it opened, we rode a bus and got there 10 minutes after it opened, and 5 minutes after someone else dropped an app. Wasn't a great week.

Grumpwagon fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Apr 7, 2015

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

If reliability and total cost of ownership matter, do not buy an Audi. If you must, just buy the Jetta SportWagen which is both more practical (space wise) and less expensive.

If you live in Manhattan, where do you plan to park the vehicle? If you have access to parking, then size is less of an issue. I would then say something like a Subaru Outback, Acura TSX Wagon, maybe Cadillac CTS Wagon. You would also be well served by various CUVs of a small and midsize variety like the Honda CR-V, the Mazda CX-5, the Ford Explorer etc.

Thanks. We'll probably end up renting a parking spot. As stupid as this might sound we'd be looking for something with a bit of "cool" factor. We're both in our 20s so we're stupid like that

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

If setting the Sustain Level in the ENV to around 7, you can obtain a howling sound.

Hello, thread! I'm looking for a recommendation for a car for me and my soon-to-be wife as our only car. I will now try to give as much info as possible.

I currently have a 2007 Honda Accord in great condition, about 110K on it, recently replaced the timing belt and all of the other works to the tune of about $1K. It's a manual (main reason she won't/can't drive it), but it otherwise has the highest trim level of everything else. I'd be looking to either trade this in toward the new vehicle or sell it in a private sale, whichever gets me the most money without being a huge pain in the rear end. This is a recurring theme - I'm a really busy dude who does not have time to take on the new hobby of knowing everything about buying and selling cars without getting hosed, but at the same time I'm probably holding on to a lot of outdated info because my Dad was a car salesman from the seventies through late nineties.

I'm looking for a 4D sedan. We live in a city and both commute via public transportation, but we also love road trips and I'm an active musician so hauling equipment around is a plus. I also want something that's big enough for things like Ikea runs, so keeping with the Accord/Camry/etc. size is pretty much what I'm hoping to do. We're also probably going to have kids in the next five years/life of this car, so going the route of an ultra-compact (in spite of how much I'd love to switch to something like a Honda Fit) probably doesn't make sense.

Obviously, I want the sweet spot of reliability/features/mpg, etc. but the most important thing to me is reliability because as stated earlier, I'm super busy and just need a car to be an "invisible" resource and not a status item. I also tend to drive cars into the ground and prefer never to have a car payment; my last vehicle (a '96 Accord) lasted me 15+ years. I'm looking for the next thing to drive for at least 10+ years.

I really like Accords, Camrys, but I've always wanted a Volvo S60 even though I feel like they're out of my price range. That's my version of a luxury adult vehicle.

Some crucial questions that I'd love help with:

1. What car should I go after, and what year? I'm feeling the vanilla Accord/Camry is probably still the right answer for me. Is that likely true based on the above?

2. I've heard that in the past few years, the used car market has dried up substantially and for the first time in a long time, you're really not saving much money by buying "recently used" vs. just buying new. True? False?

3. It's always been my understanding that you should never trade in a car if you could sell it in a private sale instead because you always get screwed by the dealer. Is this still generally true or are there times that it actually makes sense to just trade a car like my '07 Accord in?

4. Is there a simple way - without having to take on the new hobby of learning all about cars - to get a basic handle on which model years are the "right" years to buy?

Thanks!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Adun posted:

Thanks. We'll probably end up renting a parking spot. As stupid as this might sound we'd be looking for something with a bit of "cool" factor. We're both in our 20s so we're stupid like that

You realize you're going to piss away an absolutely stupid amount of money, right? You're sort of ruining the point of living in Manhattan - you don't need a car.

Figure parking space at $300/mo. Insurance at $125/mo. Fuel at $50/mo if you don't drive much. I imagine NY is like MA and you'll pay excise tax on the value of your car every year. That's outside of the acquisition and maintenance/repair costs of the car. Power to you if you really want to blow money like that, but I'd just rent a car when I wanted to take the bieks somewhere.

HOWEVER, if you really want to and can afford it, you are going to have to reconcile your desire for something cool with your stated needs of being able to carry your bieks and be reliable and maintenance free. Zero cool cars are reliable; the very attribute of reliability makes cars uncool. I think a TSX wagon is probably the best choice- you get a nominally cool brand or whatever, but it's a Honda at heart so it's pretty bulletproof, and it's a wagon so you can do your bike thing.

That being said, don't buy a car.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Transistor Rhythm posted:

Hello, thread! I'm looking for a recommendation for a car for me and my soon-to-be wife as our only car. I will now try to give as much info as possible.

I currently have a 2007 Honda Accord in great condition, about 110K on it, recently replaced the timing belt and all of the other works to the tune of about $1K. It's a manual (main reason she won't/can't drive it), but it otherwise has the highest trim level of everything else. I'd be looking to either trade this in toward the new vehicle or sell it in a private sale, whichever gets me the most money without being a huge pain in the rear end. This is a recurring theme - I'm a really busy dude who does not have time to take on the new hobby of knowing everything about buying and selling cars without getting hosed, but at the same time I'm probably holding on to a lot of outdated info because my Dad was a car salesman from the seventies through late nineties.

I'm looking for a 4D sedan. We live in a city and both commute via public transportation, but we also love road trips and I'm an active musician so hauling equipment around is a plus. I also want something that's big enough for things like Ikea runs, so keeping with the Accord/Camry/etc. size is pretty much what I'm hoping to do. We're also probably going to have kids in the next five years/life of this car, so going the route of an ultra-compact (in spite of how much I'd love to switch to something like a Honda Fit) probably doesn't make sense.

Obviously, I want the sweet spot of reliability/features/mpg, etc. but the most important thing to me is reliability because as stated earlier, I'm super busy and just need a car to be an "invisible" resource and not a status item. I also tend to drive cars into the ground and prefer never to have a car payment; my last vehicle (a '96 Accord) lasted me 15+ years. I'm looking for the next thing to drive for at least 10+ years.

I really like Accords, Camrys, but I've always wanted a Volvo S60 even though I feel like they're out of my price range. That's my version of a luxury adult vehicle.

1. What car should I go after, and what year? I'm feeling the vanilla Accord/Camry is probably still the right answer for me. Is that likely true based on the above?

2. I've heard that in the past few years, the used car market has dried up substantially and for the first time in a long time, you're really not saving much money by buying "recently used" vs. just buying new. True? False?

3. It's always been my understanding that you should never trade in a car if you could sell it in a private sale instead because you always get screwed by the dealer. Is this still generally true or are there times that it actually makes sense to just trade a car like my '07 Accord in?

4. Is there a simple way - without having to take on the new hobby of learning all about cars - to get a basic handle on which model years are the "right" years to buy?

Thanks!

Solution number one: Stop with all this nonsense and teach your wife to drive stick. You have a reliable and perfectly suitable car that you know has been maintained correctly. Thousands of brain dead morons with poor motor and impulse control have learned to drive stick.

If you really want to buy some other poo poo, buying new is probably a decent choice if you plan to drive it in to the ground because you can control the entire life of the car. Plus, money for new cars is cheap, and gently used cars hold value like crazy.

Model years don't really matter - anything made in the last five years is pretty loving decent. New car or gently used recommendations in that size class are the Accord, the Camry, the Sonata, the Optima, the Mazda6, the Nissan Altima, maybe the Ford Fusion. There aren't really any bad midsize sedans being made today (RIP Chevrolet Malibu). Truedelta has some decent reliability information that could help you pinpoint problem years.

In regards to trade-in, you can probably get more dolla from a private sale. But keep in mind that the private sale comes with significant opportunity costs. If I got a good trade offer, I'd take it, rather than dick around with Craigslist/Autotrader bull poo poo.

Back to point one - your optimal solution here is to teach your wife to drive stick. It is the least irritating, highest utility solution for you in the long run.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I'm an active musician so hauling equipment around is a plus. I also want something that's big enough for things like Ikea runs, so keeping with the Accord/Camry/etc.

Have you thought about a hatchback like a Focus or Mazda3? Big rear opening with a lot of space if you fold down the seats.

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

You realize you're going to piss away an absolutely stupid amount of money, right? You're sort of ruining the point of living in Manhattan - you don't need a car.

Figure parking space at $300/mo. Insurance at $125/mo. Fuel at $50/mo if you don't drive much. I imagine NY is like MA and you'll pay excise tax on the value of your car every year. That's outside of the acquisition and maintenance/repair costs of the car. Power to you if you really want to blow money like that, but I'd just rent a car when I wanted to take the bieks somewhere.

HOWEVER, if you really want to and can afford it, you are going to have to reconcile your desire for something cool with your stated needs of being able to carry your bieks and be reliable and maintenance free. Zero cool cars are reliable; the very attribute of reliability makes cars uncool. I think a TSX wagon is probably the best choice- you get a nominally cool brand or whatever, but it's a Honda at heart so it's pretty bulletproof, and it's a wagon so you can do your bike thing.

That being said, don't buy a car.

Thanks for this. I realize it's an uneconomical thing to do but at this point I think we just want the luxury of a car and the ability to get out of the city when we feel like it instead of having to plan around renting a car. Plus Zipcar really doesn't seem that cheap. We've both been here for 6 years now and feel like we can afford to do this. I'll check out the Acura but thanks again for the post

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Thanks!

1) Yes. Accord and Camry are both perfectly nice vehicles. Also consider a Prius.
2) The pendulum is starting to swing the other way around, but if you are buying Accord or Camry you may as well buy new, as used models tend to retain value.
3) Well, it's true, but a nicer way to put it is that the dealer will offer you wholesale cost, and if you are selling yourself then you (might) get retail price. I guess if by "screwed" you mean " not willing to do a thing for you for free" then I guess that fits. I don't think it's particularly unreasonable though.
4) You could pick up an issue of Consumer Reports but it's not going to tell you much more than what you've already been told here.

Adun posted:

Prius V.

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

If setting the Sustain Level in the ENV to around 7, you can obtain a howling sound.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Solution number one: Stop with all this nonsense and teach your wife to drive stick. You have a reliable and perfectly suitable car that you know has been maintained correctly. Thousands of brain dead morons with poor motor and impulse control have learned to drive stick.

Dude, I appreciate the tough love. I intend to keep trying to get her to learn, but she was traumatized by an overbearing dad and some terrible driver's ed stuff 15 years ago when she started driving.

The other thing is that it sucks being the only one in a situation who knows how to drive stick, which is most of the time for me. You're always the DD, period, when out with a group of people. If you're too tired on a trip, someone else can't just take a turn. I got really sick about two hours from home about a year ago with a friend and we literally had no way to get back until I was able to drive without puking and nodding off. It was terrible!

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Dude, I appreciate the tough love. I intend to keep trying to get her to learn, but she was traumatized by an overbearing dad and some terrible driver's ed stuff 15 years ago when she started driving.

So find someplace where she can't hit anything or anyone, and a manual transmission vehicle you're comfortable destroying, and let her figure it out on her own. She'll get it eventually, probably before the clutch is destroyed. The worst you'll have to do is make her stop riding the clutch once she can shift.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

VideoTapir posted:

So find someplace where she can't hit anything or anyone, and a manual transmission vehicle you're comfortable destroying, and let her figure it out on her own. She'll get it eventually, probably before the clutch is destroyed. The worst you'll have to do is make her stop riding the clutch once she can shift.

There is no modernish transmission that will be destroyed by a new driver. The clutch might last 10kmi less, maybe.
The most useful thing to do before getting in the car is to have a basic idea of how the transmission works (clutch between engine and trans, pedal moves plates apart).
Best thing in the car is to go to a flat lot and start the car moving without any gas in 1st. It will help find the engagement point. Starting is the only hard part, even on a subaru, shifting a syncroed transmission is easy as hell.
Also important to emphasize that stalls do not hurt the car and that even experenced drivers do it from time to time, especially on unfamilar vehicles.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!
Replacing a clutch is a significantly cheaper than buying a new car. Even if she rides the clutch more than she rides you, a clutch replacement will only run you $1000-1300, according to repairpal. Considering your not using a manual to commute into a big city, driving a manual should be a rather pleasant experience even for a beginner.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Adun posted:

Thanks for this. I realize it's an uneconomical thing to do but at this point I think we just want the luxury of a car and the ability to get out of the city when we feel like it instead of having to plan around renting a car. Plus Zipcar really doesn't seem that cheap. We've both been here for 6 years now and feel like we can afford to do this. I'll check out the Acura but thanks again for the post

I'm a city dweller, I get that. But it's still a bad call. Even if you leave the city every single weekend, you are going to save money by renting a car.

If you plan to go away for the weekend, a true rental car joint is a better idea than Zipcar, since zipcar runs in to the mileage cap.

Throatwarbler's suggestion of a Prius V is good, except you said cool. If you think the Prius V is cool, go nuts. I think it's about as cool as math class in summer school.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

The other thing is that it sucks being the only one in a situation who knows how to drive stick, which is most of the time for me. You're always the DD, period, when out with a group of people. If you're too tired on a trip, someone else can't just take a turn. I got really sick about two hours from home about a year ago with a friend and we literally had no way to get back until I was able to drive without puking and nodding off. It was terrible!

These are extremely surmountable problems.

Suave Fedora
Jun 10, 2004

Suave Fedora posted:

Proposed Budget: $25k - $35k
New or Used: New
Body Style: Mid-sized SUV
How will you be using the car?: Daily driver, long commute (2.5h round trip), two small children, frequent road trips from Miami to Orlando, interested in road-tripping more of The South at some point, fine with 2WD, no towing, built in TVs a Huge Plus, 2nd row captain's chairs a Huge Plus. We'd like more creature comforts than offered by a cross-over.
What aspects are most important to you? Reliability, lower price
What we're running away from: 2009 Honda CR-V and its disastrous seats that I'm shifting in every 5 miles.

Right now our short list consists of: Dodge Durango SXT Plus, Hyundai Santa Fe Limited, Chevy Traverse LS, and Toyota Highlander LE.

guys GUYS we went with the 2015 Durango, Limited trim with 2nd row Captain's Chairs (collapsible), black (I wanted red but none avail), memory seating. We're in ride-heaven coming from a no-frills Honda CR-V and it has greatly improved our daily commute.

Tomorrow I get to fill the 25-gal tank for the first time :20bux::20bux::derp::20bux::20bux:

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Calidus posted:

Replacing a clutch is a significantly cheaper than buying a new car. Even if she rides the clutch more than she rides you, a clutch replacement will only run you $1000-1300, according to repairpal. Considering your not using a manual to commute into a big city, driving a manual should be a rather pleasant experience even for a beginner.

Also cheaper than a dui.

Spudalicious
Dec 24, 2003

I <3 Alton Brown.
Update: I pretty much lost. She ended up with a 2006 Nissan 350z. I can't say I'm happy, just slightly less upset. At least she got a 3 year warranty.

Clockwerk
Apr 6, 2005

rip rip, but at least its not a TT

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

Starting to think about replacing my '00 Celica GT in the next year or two (I've had it since high school). My wife drives an '01 Volvo S60 we were gifted from my grandmother. We live in LA and need two cars unfortunately.

I definitely want to replace the Celly with something that has 4 doors. Also I'm 6'3" and it's a tight squeeze so I'm looking for more interior room as well. The hatch has saved our lives so many times... we've been able to squeeze a lot of poo poo for our camping trips/buying furniture once we fold the back "seats" down. I also love how the car handles, even though it's not quite as quick as it used to be. Looking for something that is equally fun to drive. I guess I prefer automatic but am not opposed to manual (although my wife would likely be against this?). Definitely looking for something to drive for ~10 more years.

Proposed Budget: 10-15k
New or Used: Used
Body Style: 4 door / Midsize or Hatchback or Crossover (this is a new term to me)
How will you be using the car?: Short commute to work primarily. Several trips a year 300+ miles in length. Many smaller camping/backpacking trips. Me + wife + probably a kid or two in the next 10 years.
What aspects are most important to you? Is safety still something you need to look out for? Safety, reliability, MPG, cargo space, fun to drive I guess
3. If you do not live in the U.S. you should probably say so because what's available can vary a lot. Los Angeles

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Spudalicious posted:

Update: I pretty much lost. She ended up with a 2006 Nissan 350z. I can't say I'm happy, just slightly less upset. At least she got a 3 year warranty.

How is that a loss?

Clockwerk
Apr 6, 2005

It probably cost her around $15,000, and spud was hoping for something more modest, reliable, and cheaper to maintain and insure, considering,

Spudalicious posted:

she's making $28k/yr

Spudalicious
Dec 24, 2003

I <3 Alton Brown.

Clockwerk posted:

It probably cost her around $15,000, and spud was hoping for something more modest, reliable, and cheaper to maintain and insure, considering,

At this point after all the fighting and arguing I'm just glad it's over and she's happy. The warranty should cover any major problems, and minus the practicality it seems like a pretty sweet ride (although the "gps" that it has is pathetic. I wonder if there's any way to upgrade that screen to be somewhat functional).

Sure she'll come out way behind in the end financially, but hell at her age I was a loving retard with money so I can't really talk too much poo poo.

Edit:

Throatwarbler posted:

:words: You're not going to win this argument so just let her buy the car. Happy life happy wife, etc.

Spudalicious fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Apr 7, 2015

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Spudalicious posted:

The warranty should cover any major problems

Heh heh, assuming that it's a third-party warranty (on an almost 10 year old used car it almost assuredly is), that's cute.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

khysanth posted:

Starting to think about replacing my '00 Celica GT in the next year or two (I've had it since high school). My wife drives an '01 Volvo S60 we were gifted from my grandmother. We live in LA and need two cars unfortunately.

I definitely want to replace the Celly with something that has 4 doors. Also I'm 6'3" and it's a tight squeeze so I'm looking for more interior room as well. The hatch has saved our lives so many times... we've been able to squeeze a lot of poo poo for our camping trips/buying furniture once we fold the back "seats" down. I also love how the car handles, even though it's not quite as quick as it used to be. Looking for something that is equally fun to drive. I guess I prefer automatic but am not opposed to manual (although my wife would likely be against this?). Definitely looking for something to drive for ~10 more years.

Proposed Budget: 10-15k
New or Used: Used
Body Style: 4 door / Midsize or Hatchback or Crossover (this is a new term to me)
How will you be using the car?: Short commute to work primarily. Several trips a year 300+ miles in length. Many smaller camping/backpacking trips. Me + wife + probably a kid or two in the next 10 years.
What aspects are most important to you? Is safety still something you need to look out for? Safety, reliability, MPG, cargo space, fun to drive I guess
3. If you do not live in the U.S. you should probably say so because what's available can vary a lot. Los Angeles

Can you replace the volvo instead? That is a timebomb.
If a mazda 3 is big enough, skyactiv mazda 3 hatch. As someone in socal, the rust issues will be a non issue.
The problem with something bigger is that wagons are few and far between and cuvs are boring to drive.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Guinness posted:

Heh heh, assuming that it's a third-party warranty (on an almost 10 year old used car it almost assuredly is), that's cute.

Seriously. A couple friends of mine followed the ever-so-common advice of "GET A loving PRIUS", and wouldn't you know it, they were rewarded for their sanity by having the HV battery fail. One of them swore up and down that it wasn't a problem because "the extended warranty we bought covered it".

I pulled out the paperwork from the glovebox, spent 30 seconds sifting through it, and pointed to where the salesman had loving circled that the HV battery was not covered. It was a non-issue since it was still (barely) under the Toyota factory warranty, but it was just a great example of how easy it is to get it in your head that this warranty covers so many things.

Grab the paperwork yourself and have a very thorough, critical readthrough of it. It most likely carries a significant deductible and/or a lot of exclusions. With that said, it's been my experience that many extended warranties on cars can be returned for a prorated refund before you make any claims against it, so seriously consider that option.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Did this two years ago but didn't pull the trigger. Back shopping again.

Also note: In Canada

Proposed Budget: $30k - $45k CDN
New or Used: New
Body Style: 5-Door, Sedan, or *maybe* Coupe
How will you be using the car?: Daily driver, funtimes car on the weekend (no track days)
What aspects are most important to you? Performance, toys, year-round capability in prairie winters, reasonable financing
Already have: Midsize SUV, that's the family car this one is mine

Short list so far:
Focus ST - Hits the price range, fun to drive, FWD is better than RWD for winter, but AWD would be great :/
Genesis 3.8 - AWD yay, but it's a bigger car than I need and pushes the top end of the price range a bit too far

Everything else I like (M235ix, S3/S4, Q50) is a bit too expensive.

TKIY fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Apr 8, 2015

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Golf R should be coming out this year...

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Uthor posted:

Is already out.

WRX is also a good choice. I hesitate to recommend the STI though due to the EJ257, but the regular strength WRX has a new engine.

nm fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Apr 8, 2015

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Uthor posted:

Not sure it's out in Canada yet?

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

nm posted:

Can you replace the volvo instead? That is a timebomb.
If a mazda 3 is big enough, skyactiv mazda 3 hatch. As someone in socal, the rust issues will be a non issue.
The problem with something bigger is that wagons are few and far between and cuvs are boring to drive.

Unfortunately the Volvo is in better shape overall. The Celica is nearing 300k miles. Definitely need a roomier 4door.

Will check out the Mazda3 and any other recommendations people throw out. Thanks!

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

My sister is looking for a small hatchback for under around $10 grand. She looked at a Fiesta, but while she was there, also looked at a 2008 Suzuki SX4 with a manual and 32k miles. They were asking $8600. She said it drove well, was fun to toss around, and didn't make any weird noises and stuff.

I know Suzuki doesn't sell here anymore, so that was a bit of a red flag to me, but I remember reading some good reviews of some small Suzukis (and bad reviews of others), so I wanted more opinions. Truedelta doesn't have much/any reliability data, and I don't really know where else to look.

I know there are better cars, but ~$8k for a 32000 mile well maintained car doesn't seem like a bad deal. Thoughts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

The SX4 was a neat little thing that I test drove once. Kind of a cheap and cheerful hatchback, clearly not something that was originally designed for Americans. You should still be able to find parts over the next five or so years. If she's planning to drive it in to the ground, I might stay away. But if she's just looking for decent transportation for the next five years, why not?

8k is quite a bit more than I would pay, though. Edmunds values it at 7500 from a dealer. I'd shoot for 7 even because hey, good luck unloading a car from a dead brand.