Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

raditts posted:

Wow, I haven't seen that show since it was actually on TV, I guess it seemed normal at the time but I had no recollection of how 90s As gently caress it was.

I'm having a hard time trying to think up a more obnoxiously 90s show than Video Power, and with the possible exception of America's Funniest People I'm coming up quite short.

EDIT: I mean, for Chrissake, look at this dumpster fire. It ran for four years. 30 minutes full of the kind of humor you'd find in email forwards before the kind of people who would think it was worth forwarding had both the means and the ability:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JuqC6_ywUuk

Gene Hackman Fan fucked around with this message at 09:59 on Apr 7, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Gene Hackman Fan posted:

I'm having a hard time trying to think up a more obnoxiously 90s show than Video Power, and with the possible exception of America's Funniest People I'm coming up quite short.

EDIT: I mean, for Chrissake, look at this dumpster fire. It ran for four years. 30 minutes full of the kind of humor you'd find in email forwards before the kind of people who would think it was worth forwarding were able to forward it:

The best thing about Video Power is that we got more Kwirk, and that game owned.

You got me thinking about what TV shows were indicative of the nineties, and having lived through them and had young siblings I got to see a lot of differing types of shows. I'd argue these all are indicative of trends of the nineties (not just in plot, but in format or programming block ideas), but also having lived it it's hard to say what is '90s and what is just what I watched in the '90s. Here's a big old list. Spoilered because it's a long list, and I'm willing to bet many people couldn't care less.

Superhuman Samurai Cyber Squad, Ned and Stacey, Parker Lewis Can't Lose, Hang Time, USA High, Supermarket Sweep, Family Dog, Step by Step, the intro to the first episode of Hangin With Mr Cooper, Gamepro TV, Nickelodeon's Figure it Out With Summer Sanders, Hard Copy, Fact or Fiction, Rescue 911, Unsolved Mysteries, The Parenthood, Homeboys From Outer Space, Studs, Singled Out, Road Rules: Semester at Sea, Headbangers Ball, Pop Up Video, Behind the Music, MTV Unplugged, MST3k, Spawn the 'Animated' Series, Taxi Cab Confessions, Alien Autopsy, Jerry Springer, This Old House, Usa's Up All Night, and SA favorites Shasta McNasty and Deadly Games.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Deadpool posted:

Hope both of you enjoy your month long vacations.

Also if either of you post in this thread again when you come back you're banned.

Couch Chat: TV IV's Official Deadpool Appreciation Thread

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Deadpool posted:

Hope both of you enjoy your month long vacations.

Also if either of you post in this thread again when you come back you're banned.

Deadpool are you alright :glomp:

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Been hearing good things about "Cheers" lately since it's on Netflix now, started watching it and liking it, but I'm kinda looking forward to Shelley Long leaving the show because Diane is definitely the worst part.

Not looking forward to losing Coach :(

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

PostNouveau posted:

Been hearing good things about "Cheers" lately since it's on Netflix now, started watching it and liking it, but I'm kinda looking forward to Shelley Long leaving the show because Diane is definitely the worst part.

Fair warning: Sam's terrible taste in women extends beyond Diane Chambers.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Kaizoku posted:

Fair warning: Sam's terrible taste in women extends beyond Diane Chambers.
Diane is pretty dreamy though. :allears:

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
Welp, this is pretty surprising: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/vampire-diaries-nina-dobrev-leaving-786529

I haven't watched that show in years, but it's a bit like when Zach Braff left Scrubs or when Topher Grace left That '70s Show.

What's next, Scandal continuing without Kerry Washington?

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

less laughter posted:

Welp, this is pretty surprising: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/vampire-diaries-nina-dobrev-leaving-786529

I haven't watched that show in years, but it's a bit like when Zach Braff left Scrubs or when Topher Grace left That '70s Show.

What's next, Scandal continuing without Kerry Washington?

TVD is just under Supernatural in the 18-49 demo, I'm pretty sure the showrunners are gonna keep that train going as long as humanly possible. How they're going to do is interesting since the show is built on that insufferable love triangle that Nina Dobrev is in the center of. Too bad she's the best actress they have on the show though.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Doesn't she play like 3 characters on that show?

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Aphrodite posted:

Doesn't she play like 3 characters on that show?

Yeah, and any number of variations of her character Elena. Basically the show's mythology is built on the fact that a curse keeps on propagating doppelgangers of the original for generations. Probably the best moment of the show is at the season 1 finale when you find out the mysterious Katherine who the Salvatore brothers originally fell in love with is still alive centuries later and has been manipulating since the beginning, and is impersonating Elena to gently caress everything up.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Aphrodite posted:

Or for a nice current example of a bad character, Kim from Better Call Saul.

He can't reply but seriously Kim has no character at all. She's a plot faucet.

Nobody on Better Call Saul seems to have any character aside from Jimmy. His brother got a little development last week (haven't seen last night's yet) but Kim, and I couldn't have told you her name before you posted it, exists to be Jimmy's sounding board.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

IRQ posted:

Nobody on Better Call Saul seems to have any character aside from Jimmy. His brother got a little development last week (haven't seen last night's yet) but Kim, and I couldn't have told you her name before you posted it, exists to be Jimmy's sounding board.

Yeah, but he had specifically mentioned Kim as a good character in an earlier post so that's why I brought her back up.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

IRQ posted:

Nobody on Better Call Saul seems to have any character aside from Jimmy.

I really hope you just forgot that Mike exists.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

EL BROMANCE posted:

I really hope you just forgot that Mike exists.

If the only characters that count are from Breaking Bad, that's pretty damning. It was a short first season though, and one episode was The Mike Show, so there's still time to grow the show's universe; a lot of shows have pretty shallow characters in their first season.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

I feel like managing the dysfunction of this thread is missing the point.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

PostNouveau posted:

Yeah but we get Woody Harrelson

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
You're the red white and blue, the funny things you do, America America this is you

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

PostNouveau posted:

Cheers is amazing, but in the later seasons I miss the Sam/Diane stuff. They went to that well a few too many times, but it was often well handled and well played that you can see why so many other sitcoms have basically chased it since.

It's a huge bummer when Coach goes, but then you get Woody so as a trade off goes it's not so bad.

It's really sort of impressive what they did with that show. They knew they couldn't recreate Sam/Diane so they creatively alter the show so while it loses what made it grounded, it just adds a ton more jokes.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog
One of the many little reasons why I am glad I stuck with The Mindy Project is the revelation that Danny's parents are Carla and Nick from Cheers. Well, not exactly, but they both play Danny's parents and it's fun to see them together again.

This is the other reason, this whole scene was gold:

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

The problem with Diane for me is they never delve into the most interesting part of her, the fact that beyond her snobbish facade she's just as dumb and goofy as everyone else in that bar, nearly enough. I can count on maybe one hand the amount of times she breaks that illusion because she snaps or doesn't have time to put on a show, but whenever she does its super funny.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Zaggitz posted:

The problem with Diane for me is they never delve into the most interesting part of her, the fact that beyond her snobbish facade she's just as dumb and goofy as everyone else in that bar, nearly enough.

The Diane character doesn't work if she accepts the fact that she's just as dumb and goofy as everyone else. The humor of the character is in her misplaced dignity. Rob her of that and she becomes nothing more than a nasty bitch.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I'm at the point where Frasier's been introduced but isn't yet a regular, and he seems like a much improved version of Diane. He's game for hijinks, he finds the slobs at the bar delightful, and he rarely says lovely things about them to their faces.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

There Will Be 17 More Episodes Of ‘Arrested Development’ On Netflix

quote:

Though it’s not official official, as in there have been no press releases officially announcing the return of Arrested Development for another season on Netflix, series producer Brian Grazer — who runs the Imagine Entertainment along with Ron Howard — told Bill Simmons in a podcast interview today that more episodes are definitely coming.

Unlike previous teases, there was no hemming or hawing about timing, or the schedules of the participants. Grazer merely stated, “We’re going to do another 17 episodes. So, stay tuned for Arrested Development.”

Timing, format, participants and other details were not disclosed. In fact, Simmons seemed to completely shrug off the announcement, steering the conversation back to another Imagine Entertainment hit, Empire.

We look forward to a more official announcement, and more importantly, 17 more episodes of — hopefully — Arrested Development with all the major cast members in every episode.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
Hopefully that is the case, and not some confusing remark about the re-edited season 4:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/arrested-development-creator-recutting-season-745599

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Stan Freberg passed away. :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLlTlYfqQV4

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Powers is actually pretty good. It's better than Heroes anyway and explores some interesting/clever things about "people who can shoot lazers from their eyes exist and have for a long time". Eddie Izzard and the guy who plays Johnny Royale are pretty good as the villains. If you have PS+ there's no reason not to try it.

It's also pretty close to "R rated". In the second episode a nice old woman says of her superhero husband "if he died snorting coke off a groupie's tits while another one gave him a rimjob I wouldn't be surprised". So it's a bit like Watchmen in its cynical view of "heroes".

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

PostNouveau posted:

I'm at the point where Frasier's been introduced but isn't yet a regular, and he seems like a much improved version of Diane. He's game for hijinks, he finds the slobs at the bar delightful, and he rarely says lovely things about them to their faces.

Yeah he's basically Diane done right. Frasier owns.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...

Teek posted:

Hopefully that is the case, and not some confusing remark about the re-edited season 4:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/arrested-development-creator-recutting-season-745599

Nah, it's been established for a while that they planned on doing another season at some point. The specific episode count suggests they're closer to actually making it though.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Gene Hackman Fan posted:

EDIT: I mean, for Chrissake, look at this dumpster fire. It ran for four years. 30 minutes full of the kind of humor you'd find in email forwards before the kind of people who would think it was worth forwarding had both the means and the ability:

Did America's Funniest People exist for any other reason than to give more Full House actors their own prime time shows?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Gene Hackman Fan posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CEuRWLgWMjo

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

I miss when shows actually had theme songs. I wish they'd come back.

JUICY HAMBUGAR
Nov 10, 2010

Eating, America's pastime.
I theme songs too. I don't think they'll ever come back on network shows though, there just isn't enough time to tell a story and have your catchy theme song anymore with the expanding ad time.

At least we got Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt's theme song this year. I sing it to myself in the shower all the time.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

precision posted:

Powers is actually pretty good. It's better than Heroes anyway and explores some interesting/clever things about "people who can shoot lazers from their eyes exist and have for a long time". Eddie Izzard and the guy who plays Johnny Royale are pretty good as the villains. If you have PS+ there's no reason not to try it.

It's also pretty close to "R rated". In the second episode a nice old woman says of her superhero husband "if he died snorting coke off a groupie's tits while another one gave him a rimjob I wouldn't be surprised". So it's a bit like Watchmen in its cynical view of "heroes".

Yes it is a really good show.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
In Season 4 of Veep news, Patton Oswalt is playing a rival to Jonah.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I think i watch too much TV. Just spent 3 hours re-organising my media server.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Vanderdeath posted:

Shows have them all the time!

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Funnily enough, Too Many Cooks is what made me realize I missed television themes then Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt made it even more apparent.

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

Zaggitz posted:

Yeah he's basically Diane done right. Frasier owns.

From what I've heard, the actress who played Diane kept trying to give notes to the writers to get rid of Frasier, and pissing off the writers. She was adamant about getting rid of Frasier, since he was stealing her lines, to the that the writers just kept Frasier around as an FU to Shelley Long.

Actors act, writers write, and if an actor tries to step over the line to send notes to tell the writers how to write, nothing good will come from it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Gene Hackman Fan posted:

Wait...Harley Quinn was the cohost of that terrible show?!

Vanderdeath posted:

Big Bang Theory's had one for years.

• Locked thread