Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pead
May 31, 2001
Nap Ghost

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Holy poo poo

"We need to spread our message of liberty far and wide. One of the best ways to do this is by supporting me using social media. Use the profile pics, cover photos, and widgets to show your support to your friends across the country." —Rand Paul

What other groups is he missing?

Also..widgets?

http://randpaul.com/show-your-support

He has Marine for Rand but none of the other armed services

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

showbiz_liz posted:

It's already been changed from 'Jew for Rand' to 'Jewish for Rand'

pbffffthhhttttttthahaha god thats even worse. Im only Jewish for the campaign baby.

Where the gently caress is this phrasing coming from is it Tobias Fuenke making these uh "widgets"?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Vermin Supreme is going to troll Rand's New Hampshire event tomorrow.

https://www.facebook.com/events/461114630710031/

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

Joementum posted:

Vermin Supreme is going to troll Rand's New Hampshire event tomorrow.

This is the only GOP candidate I would buy merch from, does he have like a glitter brand or rubber boot manufacturer I can support?

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008
http://randpaul.com/issue/criminal-justice-reforms

Why is this basically reasonable stance mixed in with the rest of the insanity? Does he think this will be enough to get black Americans on Team Rand?

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

showbiz_liz posted:

http://randpaul.com/issue/criminal-justice-reforms

Why is this basically reasonable stance mixed in with the rest of the insanity? Does he think this will be enough to get black Americans on Team Rand?

Does he think black people are too dumb to remember his comments on the Civil Rights Act, and what his distaste for it says about whose rights he's concerned about, or what he really means by "shoplifters"?

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

showbiz_liz posted:

Why is this basically reasonable stance mixed in with the rest of the insanity?

People have been asking this about the Pauls for decades.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Slate Action posted:

So the non-joke GOP candidates are basically:

Jeb
Walker (maybe)
Rubio (maybe)
???

I wouldn't discount Cruz too quickly. He's the farthest right candidate, but that could easily be an asset in the primary. And he's way more interesting than his closest competitor, Walker.

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

I wouldn't discount Cruz too quickly. He's the farthest right candidate, but that could easily be an asset in the primary. And he's way more interesting than his closest competitor, Walker.

That does not make him any less of a joke and he is leagues behind Walker as far as viability and party support (read: money, astroturf support). Hes not the bottom of the barrel, he is outside the barrel wishing he was allowed into the barrel. The entire joke field is in between him and Walker.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I don't know enough about how Obama rose to defeat Hillary in 2008, particularly how he got his early start. I suppose I'm curious if anyone on the Republican side could have that kind of meteoric ascent that we'd be somehow deaf to due to ideological differences. I sometimes get the impression with the Tea Party/Libertarian candidates that they're hoping to catch that kind of Hope and Change style fire and ride it up and over the establishment.

What would an effective insurgent campaign against Bush look like? At a guess I'd say a narrower field would make a big difference, since then the anti-establishment money and votes could rally around a single candidate faster. Bush might have to deal with Walker, but I'd assume being the establishment choice probably leads a lot more solidifying of support especially since he's importing the entire Bush family network and machine.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Logikv9 posted:

The problem is that none of them have a loving chance of actually winning the nomination, because the establishment has a way of shutting the whole thing down. But the longer they last, the more debates they run, and the more serious they seem, they'll drag down JEB! and any other possible candidates. After all, we will be treated to excellent photos of Jeb, Cruz, Walker, Paul, and the rest of the clown express on stage at the debate. And Jeb will look like he's an adult talking to a bunch of children to an audience of children and it will be glorious.

:golfclap:

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

showbiz_liz posted:

His site claims "As I travel across the country and speak to my constituents, I have found that their top concern is our national debt." I have a very hard time believing that.

If he's talking to Ron Paul fans, then it is certainly the top concern (and legalizing weed).

showbiz_liz posted:

It's already been changed from 'Jew for Rand' to 'Jewish for Rand'

Man, I'm so Jewish for Rand that it hurts.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
[sotto voce] Have you heard about Walter? Not only is he a Jewish, but he's for Rand.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Well he knew his audience

quote:

A local pastor who rallied the crowd Tuesday at Sen. Rand Paul's (R-KY) presidential campaign launch suggested that he believed President Barack Obama would "evolve" past Christianity after leaving office.

“In five years we’ll find out what [Obama’s] real religion is,” Rev. Jerry Stephenson told reporters after the event, according to Buzzfeed's McKay Coppins.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
It's funny how Rand will probably lose all the paulites over his stance on Israel.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

mooyashi posted:

it's a rule that when you talk about Scott Walker you have to post a picture of him

I can't un-see Walker's eye alignment. It's loving unnerving, like someone wearing a skin-suit tugged one side too hard.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

a shameful boehner posted:

I can't un-see Walker's eye alignment. It's loving unnerving, like someone wearing a skin-suit tugged one side too hard.
Those droopy eyes make him look permastoned

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
http://wonkette.com/582118/rand-pauls-terrible-horrible-totally-fcked-up-day

Wonkette did a wrap-up of Rand's perfect campaign announcement.

quote:

Today was supposed to be Rand Paul’s Big Day, the one where he was able to say “look at me, DAD, I’m a big kid now, gonna be the president you never got to be!” Instead, he ended up just being Ron Paul’s pud-pulling gently caress-up kid again. Let us count the ways Rand Paul is already a failure at running for president.

Kentucky Sen. Rand Paul launched his presidential campaign Tuesday complete with a page to endorse the new presidential candidate.

The endorsements are then presented on a map of the United States.

The people on the endorsement map, however, appear to be stock images from a Italian photographer Andrea Piacquadio who goes by the name Olly or Ollyy on stock image sites, and according to his Shutterstock page, is based in Germany.

also

http://www.theonion.com/articles/who-is-rand-paul,38391/

quote:

•Political Vision: Supports bipartisanship between the Tea Party and GOP
•Campaign Strategy: Hoping college-aged white males come to comprise over half of U.S. population
•Platform: Heavy focus on abolishing and repealing, with lesser focus on dismantling, rescinding, and abrogating
•Campaign Slogan: “Defeat the Washington machine. Unleash the American dream.”
•Unabridged Campaign Slogan: “Defeat the Washington machine. Unleash the American dream. Fight the Capitol Hill scheme. Scream the revolutionary’s scream. Adopt the populist mien. Join the Rand Paul team!”
•Effect Of Campaign Bumper Sticker On Car’s Resale Value: -11.5%
•Opinion On Big Government Reaching Into Our Pockets And Taking Away Our Personal Freedoms: Anti
•Current Campaign War Chest: 10,000 bricks of gold bullion
•Piercings: 12
•Crossover Voter Appeal: Reaches fans as young as 18 and as old as 20
•Number Of Friends’ Status Updates You’ll Have To Scroll Past Regarding His Vision For Country Over Next Year: 131

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Also this

quote:

On the day Sen. Rand Paul (R-KY) announced his run for President, his official Twitter account retweeted a photoshopped image of Aurora theater shooter James Holmes declaring that he will "Stand With Rand."

Just minutes before Paul took the stage on Tuesday in Louisville, Ky., Paul's account hyped his announcement on social media by rapidly retweeting people claiming to be supporters of the 2016 hopeful.

Among them, was at least one imposter.

The user @firescotch, using the hashtag #StandWithRand, sent in a photoshopped image of Holmes, the the accused killer of 12 people in Aurora, Colo. in 2012.

In the altered image, Holmes bore a smile and sunglasses and held up and card that said "#StandWithRand" along with Paul's new logo.

The tweet remained up on Paul's account for roughly 20 minutes before it disappeared.

Dattserberg
Dec 30, 2005

National champion, Heisman winner, King crab enthusiast
I'm curious why so many people think Rubio isn't a joke candidate. What makes you think that he's got a legit shot at the nomination?

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
If Rand keeps up this kind of density with gently caress ups we're all going to be pulled into a hosed up black hole by the end of the month. This wonkette article reads like at least 2 weeks worth of idiotic campaign slips.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Dattserberg posted:

I'm curious why so many people think Rubio isn't a joke candidate. What makes you think that he's got a legit shot at the nomination?

He holds policy views well within the norms of the party and is generally well-liked by his colleagues, having worked with them on passing several key pieces of legislation.

That's not to say that Rubio is a shoe-in for the nomination. He's not. But he meets the same criteria that has historically predicted primary success, whereas Cruz*, Carson, Fiorina, and Trump do not. Rand would, except for his foreign policy views, which he's trying as hard as he can to wrangle, but that line's probably too thin for him to walk successfully.

* As I've said, it's possible that the post-72 primary norms have changed enough that Cruz's total alienation from his colleagues won't bring him down, but I doubt it and that's a bigger problem than Rand's policy issues.

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

Why did they change "Jew" to "Jewish" and break the style of all the others? Does anybody identify as "a Jewish"?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Grey Fox posted:

Why did they change "Jew" to "Jewish" and break the style of all the others? Does anybody identify as "a Jewish"?
Yeah, I don't get it. Especially since being "Jewish" for something is usually derogatory.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Grey Fox posted:

Because calling someone a Jew can be construed as derogatory.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Has it been mentioned that you can buy a signed constitution by Rand Paul for $1,000

https://store.randpaul.com/index.php/signed-constitution-book-by-rand-paul.html

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
Jewish Americans for Rand would work. Jews for Rand is punchy and inoffensive.

Jewish for Rand sounds like your name-a Borat very nice.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Has it been mentioned that you can buy a signed constitution by Rand Paul for $1,000

https://store.randpaul.com/index.php/signed-constitution-book-by-rand-paul.html

If you can scratch the paint off the steins, the dog one wouldn't be an awful pickup if you take Rand's name off the dog collar.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
I'm sure both of the Jews who are planning on voting for Rand are very appreciative of the sensitivity to this issue.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Dolash posted:

I don't know enough about how Obama rose to defeat Hillary in 2008, particularly how he got his early start. I suppose I'm curious if anyone on the Republican side could have that kind of meteoric ascent that we'd be somehow deaf to due to ideological differences. I sometimes get the impression with the Tea Party/Libertarian candidates that they're hoping to catch that kind of Hope and Change style fire and ride it up and over the establishment.

What would an effective insurgent campaign against Bush look like? At a guess I'd say a narrower field would make a big difference, since then the anti-establishment money and votes could rally around a single candidate faster. Bush might have to deal with Walker, but I'd assume being the establishment choice probably leads a lot more solidifying of support especially since he's importing the entire Bush family network and machine.

Obama is a one in a generation campaigner. But he wasn't exactly anti-establishment. One of the people to initially encourage him as a presidential challenger (that he was already building towards, though) was freaking Harry Reid.

Being liked by the establishment has been a necessary quotient of successful presidential elections since, I don't know, Goldwater? And even then, that assertion can be seen as shaky.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Intel&Sebastian posted:

I'm sure both of the Jews who are planning on voting for Rand are very appreciative of the sensitivity to this issue.

It's not about jewish voters, it's about signalling to evangelical voters and hawks that you care about Israel.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Pinterest Mom posted:

It's not about jewish voters, it's about signalling to evangelical voters and hawks that you care about Israel.

And Rand needs all the help he can get in that regard after his tepid show of enthusiasm for surrogate president Benjamin Netanyahu.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I like how Rand has separate signs for Catholic and Christian supporters.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
His logo is reminding me of

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

paranoid randroid posted:

And Rand needs all the help he can get in that regard after his tepid show of enthusiasm for surrogate president Benjamin Netanyahu.

That's a lot of potential lost votes from the Duggar clan. Keep fighting, plucky little Rand!

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Venom Snake posted:

It's funny how Rand will probably lose all the paulites over his stance on Israel.

Paulistas don't actually care about not-murdering-brown-people, at least not as much as they care about free weed and crushing the blacks beneath their bootheel.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Pinterest Mom posted:

You know who else wanted voters to know he cared about the Jewish question....

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Joementum posted:

He holds policy views well within the norms of the party and is generally well-liked by his colleagues, having worked with them on passing several key pieces of legislation.

That's not to say that Rubio is a shoe-in for the nomination. He's not. But he meets the same criteria that has historically predicted primary success, whereas Cruz*, Carson, Fiorina, and Trump do not. Rand would, except for his foreign policy views, which he's trying as hard as he can to wrangle, but that line's probably too thin for him to walk successfully.

I recall hearing about Rubio having skeletons that aren't going to stand up to national scrutiny. Or that's always been the talk anyway.

Armani
Jun 22, 2008

Now it's been 17 summers since I've seen my mother

But every night I see her smile inside my dreams

mooyashi posted:

it's a rule that when you talk about Scott Walker you have to post a picture of him

This dude looks blazed as gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TinFoilJoy
Oct 15, 2012

I'm baffled by the Italian-American for Rand sign. It just seems so random. Did they just throw the names of white ethnic groups into a hat and draw that one?

• Locked thread