Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
A Boney would be a really good enemy for that, if their AI doesn't get touched in Afterbirth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

If you can't capture a boss after weakening them there's no point.

Xeras
Oct 11, 2004

Only a few find the way, some don't recognize it when they do - some... don't ever want to.
Cool 100 more lovely items and a whole new character with even shittier mechanics coming right up!

Codiekitty
Nov 7, 2014

YF-23 posted:

If you can't capture a boss after weakening them there's no point.

Maybe if they made it so you can catch bosses when they become common enemies in Sheol/Cathedral on? Capturing an Adversary would be hilarious.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Xeras posted:

Cool 100 more lovely items and a whole new character with even shittier mechanics coming right up!

Yeah because that's all the 100 additional items and new characters in Rebirth turned out to be!

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I'm sure some people actually think that.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

The new character actually has literally no health, so you always die on the starting screen.

IronicDongz posted:

I'm sure some people actually think that.

They're free to go back to Flash Isaac. Is that developer for the flash game still working on his silly update?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I do wonder how the new items will have any affect on The Lost. They could either make the character a lot easier or a lot worse, it just depends on what they end up doing since The Lost already has problems with the item pool having too many items that are useless for it. But hey, I'm done with The Lost so I can just be excited for new content without reservation.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

You won't be done with the Lost when Afterbirth adds more stuff that you need to kill with every character.

Wugga
Oct 30, 2006

I BEAT MEAT

YF-23 posted:

You won't be done with the Lost when Afterbirth adds more stuff that you need to kill with every character.

I bet we're gonna see an unlock/achievement for beating Mega Satan with the Lost. :getin:

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I will be done with the Lost because I don't care what they add to it, I'm not playing as that piece of poo poo ever again. It's not even close to fun.

MatildaTheHun
Aug 31, 2011

here's the thing donovan, I'm always hungry
If I have to beat Mega Satan with the Lost I will just use cheat engine and be done with it.

Cephalocidal
Dec 23, 2005

TheModernAmerican posted:

If I have to beat Mega Satan with the Lost I will just use cheat engine and be done with it.

Blank card + Chaos card.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Just started playing this and managed to unlock Azazel (who makes the runs trivial since he can just fly over everything, and getting that item that turns his attack into a ring of death that can be moved around the screen with the right stick makes it even more trivial), but what's all this talk about Mega Satan and stuff? Every run I do sends me straight to Mom and ending credits.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Wade Wilson posted:

Just started playing this and managed to unlock Azazel (who makes the runs trivial since he can just fly over everything, and getting that item that turns his attack into a ring of death that can be moved around the screen with the right stick makes it even more trivial), but what's all this talk about Mega Satan and stuff? Every run I do sends me straight to Mom and ending credits.

:allears:

You have much to learn.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Cephalocidal posted:

Blank card + Chaos card.

I have never hit anything once with the Chaos Card. It goes in a random direction, not the way it's supposed to. And I know it's random, because I've seen it go off at a diagonal in a direction I've not moved or fired in.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Cephalocidal posted:

Blank card + Chaos card.

You still have to get there

Wugga
Oct 30, 2006

I BEAT MEAT

Jedit posted:

I have never hit anything once with the Chaos Card. It goes in a random direction, not the way it's supposed to. And I know it's random, because I've seen it go off at a diagonal in a direction I've not moved or fired in.

That's definitely not the way it's supposed to work. It always fires in the direction I last moved in.

I've also never seen it go diagonal. Do use use a keyboard or a controller?

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Fedule posted:

:allears:

You have much to learn.

Are there any in-game prompts/clues, or am I going to have to look up an FAQ/walkthrough to discover them, or will they pop up as I unlock other characters?

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Most everything comes from just playing more. You unlock more end bosses and later floors by beating the bosses more, and you unlock characters through various gameplay methods. Just beat Mom more, then start beating the boss after that, then start beating the bosses after that, etc etc.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

Wade Wilson posted:

Adorable.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
I really disagree that the Lost isn't fun at all, the problem is that there's just so many useless items for him that getting anything going is such a pain in the rear end. But when I was able to get one going I found it to be possibly the most fun I had in the game. Every room was so intense even if you were powered up cause one wrong move and you're dead. And I'm the type of player who makes lots of dumb errors.

But a lot of it is just trying in vain to get items that are actually useful and to me that's the unfun part of the lost.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Is there any point to seeds other than just loving around? Did a few runs with "C0CK FGHT" for the hell of it just to watch everything going nuts killing each other (which was pretty funny in any boss fight rooms with multiple bodies) but don't really see much point to the seeds beyond that.

Also, what is the point of the donation box? Got "Store Upgraded to level 1" but haven't seen any real benefits yet.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
You can play the same seed with a friend to see what you both do differently with the same scenario.

The store gets bigger and gets more items as you donate more.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Wade Wilson posted:

Is there any point to seeds other than just loving around? Did a few runs with "C0CK FGHT" for the hell of it just to watch everything going nuts killing each other (which was pretty funny in any boss fight rooms with multiple bodies) but don't really see much point to the seeds beyond that.

Also, what is the point of the donation box? Got "Store Upgraded to level 1" but haven't seen any real benefits yet.

You have to get to 999 coins donated to unlock a load of items. Also it upgrades the shop every now and then which expands the amount/quality of items you can buy. Just be sure to bomb the machine immediately after it gets to 999 because if you donate your 1000th coin, it rolls over to 0 and you have nothing left :v:

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Alabaster White posted:

You have to get to 999 coins donated to unlock a load of items. Also it upgrades the shop every now and then which expands the amount/quality of items you can buy. Just be sure to bomb the machine immediately after it gets to 999 because if you donate your 1000th coin, it rolls over to 0 and you have nothing left :v:

That's going to take a while, I've only got about 26 coins in it right now.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Just put money as you play, if you do something like 5 coins per run or if you dedicate yourself to donating your wallet down to 10 coins per floor you'll get there in no time.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
If you're like me and don't play on PC, you'll want this Android app to help you out. I hate using my laptop to check items but this has been a huge help.

Additionally, getting Tammy's Head as the first item on an Azazel run makes the whole thing go super quick. Still died to Mega Satan though...

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

The Lost would be fun if there weren't so many items useless to him and the game was fair. Daddy Longlegs, I'm looking at you. His loving randomstomp hurts you before the sprite is even visible on the screen.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Cephalocidal posted:

Blank card + Chaos card.

You're gonna need a hell of a lot of Chaos Cards because they only take mega satan from one phase to the next.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Power of Pecota posted:

You're gonna need a hell of a lot of Chaos Cards because they only take mega satan from one phase to the next.

Good thing he only has two phases then. That's what the blank card is for.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

omeg posted:

The Lost would be fun if there weren't so many items useless to him and the game was fair. Daddy Longlegs, I'm looking at you. His loving randomstomp hurts you before the sprite is even visible on the screen.

I think he'd be way better if he started stronger. Everything takes forever to kill and you have to play extremely conservatively because you aren't allowed to get hit. You'd also not need as much to get started, so the load of health items that he can't use wouldn't be such a drag.

Does he have the Goat's Head effect by default? I honestly don't remember. If he doesn't, he should.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I'd be okay with keeping the entire item pool if he got some benefit out of items he couldn't use. Blue Baby can't get health containers but he still benefits.

Maybe allow every permanent health up you get to give you one unreplenishable hit, like a mini Holy Mantle or something.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
The Lost would be better if he was removed from the game.

Binding of Issac is not a game where "die in one hit" works as a gimmick.

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

:woof:

ImpAtom posted:

Maybe allow every permanent health up you get to give you one unreplenishable hit, like a mini Holy Mantle or something.

This seems to be the simplest, best way to make it a fun character to play.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

kemikalkadet posted:

This seems to be the simplest, best way to make it a fun character to play.

Or even just have him start with an eternal heart that turns into a soul heart instead of a red heart.

That way early levels are still pretty much one hit deaths, but if you play well enough you can build up a few heart buffer for the later levels.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

The Lost is fine as he is.

Manatee Cannon posted:

Does he have the Goat's Head effect by default? I honestly don't remember. If he doesn't, he should.

No but for all intents and purposes yes; not being hit means you have something like a 90% chance to get a devil/angel room.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

YF-23 posted:

The Lost is fine as he is.

No but for all intents and purposes yes; not being hit means you have something like a 90% chance to get a devil/angel room.

While true, doesn't it reset or diminish after you get the devil room? Whereas the goat head guarantees one on every floor one can spawn.

Spinning Robo
Apr 17, 2007
c7sn
c2ye

Play as Cain, first floor you get fire bombs, bomb X rock up from the room that has the treasure room, and you get the small rock

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soho Joe
Aug 11, 2006

the torment of existence
weighed against
the horror of nonbeing
Nap Ghost
Savior Mod is a thing. It adds/replaces a lot of stuff; new characters, new rooms, mini-shops, new places to take devil deals, boss rooms have hazards. It's a little rough around the edges, but it's pretty fun until the real expansion drops.

The redesigned boss in the Dark Room is now a double room with The Lamb, Mom, and Mom's Heart :magical:

Edit: New characters own, they feel like Challenge runs but with item rooms, and the replacement for The Lost is amazing. He starts with Lord of the Pit, Holy Mantle, Dad's Key, and Stigmata i.e. actual compensation for the whole 0 HP thing.

Soho Joe fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Apr 9, 2015