Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kujeger
Feb 19, 2004

OH YES HA HA
there is a crack going straight into cap's head though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

When I got to that page I thought it was a little too literal and obvious about excluding Cap. Still cool, though.

Edit: also kujeger is right, if you're counting the one going to BP then Caps counts too

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Cap's killed, but he's killed combatants. A world full of innocent bystanders is an entirely different kettle of fish.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting

Cabbit posted:

Cap's killed, but he's killed combatants. A world full of innocent bystanders is an entirely different kettle of fish.

I remember being surprised when Cap picked up a machine gun in the first Avengers movie and just started firing away. He's so often doing crazy shield and jump and punch stuff you forget he's actually a real soldier.

Bastard posted:

The Terror indeed :allears:

The follow up that leads to 'Who's Jack' is also good: I'd like to see that (linked as there's partial nudity in it for...some reason. Alan Moore is the reason.)

Ein Bear
Mar 26, 2010

Oh Sirrah, how deliciously absurd!
There's a small crack pointing at Cap too, the perspective just makes it a bit tricky to see.

My interpretation of the scene was that Black Bolt is saying they'd all be willing to do it.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Cornwind Evil posted:

I remember being surprised when Cap picked up a machine gun in the first Avengers movie and just started firing away. He's so often doing crazy shield and jump and punch stuff you forget he's actually a real soldier.

My favorite is when he straight-up kicks the Hydra soldier into some propellers and the soldier disintegrates on-camera.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

I don't think the cracks signify anything...I think it's just depicting how powerful Black Bolt is by barely uttering a word and having it crack a massive stone slab. Like...show, don't tell.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

If you rotate your head just right, the table cracks spell out "VULVA."

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

This week's Convergence: Superman
http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/2015/04/07/convergence-superman-exclusive-preview/25403141/

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I thought they gave him his proper costume back but I guess this is just an Elseworld based on the description. Oh well, it still looks great. :allears:

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Jerusalem posted:

I thought they gave him his proper costume back but I guess this is just an Elseworld based on the description. Oh well, it still looks great. :allears:

Pre-Flashpoint Superman. The event is a clashing of DC eras.

I wasn't looking forward to a Dan Jurgens tie-in, but it was pretty nice seeing a good artist depicting red pants Supes deflecting bullets off his chest again.

e: Not that I care generally. Action Comics is incredible right now with no outside undies.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Apr 8, 2015

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

It's weird how much more "right" red-pants Supers seems to my eyes.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

To me the fact that he doesn't look like an awkward 19 year old makes a bigger difference.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

mind the walrus posted:

It's weird how much more "right" red-pants Supers seems to my eyes.

Its probably cuz thats the Superman you've been looking at in comic books for 30 years of your 40 to 50 years of life.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

net cafe scandal posted:

Its probably cuz thats the Superman you've been looking at in comic books for 30 years of your 40 to 50 years of life.

I'm actually way younger, but yeah it's partially that. It could also be that he's drawn like he's older than 30 for the first time in half a decade.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Dude, you just set him on fire and he shrugged it off. I don't think he's lost any powers.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Pureauthor posted:

Dude, you just set him on fire and he shrugged it off. I don't think he's lost any powers.

I betcha on the next page Perry White'll wake him from daydreaming.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Speaking of badass Superman (from JLA: Justice for All)

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

So why is his cape the only part of the costume that isn't bulletproof?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

On the theme

Multiversity: Mastermen

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
One theory is that close-fitting fabric gets a protected by an energy field generated by his supercells. Cape, on the other hand, is too far out for the energy field to extend and protect.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

JediTalentAgent posted:

One theory is that close-fitting fabric gets a protected by an energy field generated by his supercells. Cape, on the other hand, is too far out for the energy field to extend and protect.

Superman sucks. That's my theory.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Teenage Fansub posted:

On the theme

Multiversity: Mastermen

This is especially heinous considering Superman is a Jewish space messiah at his roots.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

You'll go very far around here.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Lurdiak posted:

So why is his cape the only part of the costume that isn't bulletproof?

John Byrne made up this thing:

JediTalentAgent posted:

Much like most things Byrne, people tend to ignore it; in the current continuity his whole suit is made of Krypton superfabric.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

JediTalentAgent posted:

In the Silver Age both the cape and costume were just indestructible as was anything else that came from Krypton.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

This is all I see when I see your avatar.

https://youtu.be/6i7ycxiog40

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

JediTalentAgent posted:

Yeah this.

It's also a good artistic tool. A nice visual shorthand for "Superman has just gone through something that would shred a normal person" can be to have him looking fine, but his cape damaged and torn. Which, I suspect was what Howard Porter was going for here.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

All-Star Superman

Your hypothesis is disproven. Try again.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

muscles like this? posted:

In the Silver Age both the cape and costume were just indestructible as was anything else that came from Krypton.

Man, they probably shouldn't have been mining all that indestructibilium out of the planet, huh? Might have come in handy staying where it was.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Endless Mike posted:

All-Star Superman

Your hypothesis is disproven. Try again.

All-Star Superman is indeed amazing. I accept comics broadly but Superman is usually the lamest, because everything they write for him is bad like that, and he coasts on being the "first" comic book superhero and thus never needing to be relevant or interesting. Anyway, I'll be nursing my pet hatred in this dark corner, please continue with thread.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

All-Star Superman is indeed amazing. I accept comics broadly but Superman is usually the lamest, because everything they write for him is bad like that, and he coasts on being the "first" comic book superhero and thus never needing to be relevant or interesting. Anyway, I'll be nursing my pet hatred in this dark corner, please continue with thread.

I feel like this, but about Batman, the worst thing to ever exist and literally a black hole when it comes to being entertaining. It doesn't help that he also has my least favorite villain (Joker). I wish that stupid nerd tripe about how Batman could clearly beat every hero and villain on earth on his own never happened because it has made him insufferable in books, and his fans even more so.

I do like most of the bat family though. Grayson, Tim, Damian, Barbara, Steph, Cass... All characters I find enjoyable if not amazing.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Ignite Memories posted:

Man, they probably shouldn't have been mining all that indestructibilium out of the planet, huh? Might have come in handy staying where it was.

No, see, just like Kryptonians are normal on their homeworld and indestructible on Earth so is anything they make. Because mhmhmhmh

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Something something unstable molecules

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

muscles like this? posted:

Because mhmhmhmh

How many Superman-related songs did the Crash Test Dummies write anyway?!

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Gavok posted:

How many Superman-related songs did the Crash Test Dummies write anyway?!

Once, there was a guy whoooo
Said the ground that everybody walked on was doooooomed and
When
The elders came 'round
They.
Said.
That he was dumb and a loser.

He couldn't quite explain it
They had always just beeeen diiiiicks.

Jooooooooor el-el-el-elllll.

Mmmmhhhmmm mhhhhhmmmm.

Once
There was a kid whoooo
Was put into a rocket ship and crashed right into earth and,
When
Some farmfolks fouuuund hiiim
His
Skin
Was bulletproof and he could fly

He couldn't quite explain it
Yellow suns just kinda diiiiiiiid thaaaat.

Mmmmhmmmmm mhhhhmmmmm

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Apr 9, 2015

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,
And rise the M.C. Etrigan!

:golfclap:

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
The best examination of Jor-El's ravings will always be during Frankie Boyle's Chain Reaction interview of Grant Morrison, where they note that it's pretty ironic that Jor-El sent his kid to another dying planet.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib

Dan Didio posted:

The best examination of Jor-El's ravings will always be during Frankie Boyle's Chain Reaction interview of Grant Morrison, where they note that it's pretty ironic that Jor-El sent his kid to another dying planet.

He just wanted his baby to feel at home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012

KittyEmpress posted:

I feel like this, but about Batman, the worst thing to ever exist and literally a black hole when it comes to being entertaining. It doesn't help that he also has my least favorite villain (Joker). I wish that stupid nerd tripe about how Batman could clearly beat every hero and villain on earth on his own never happened because it has made him insufferable in books, and his fans even more so.

I do like most of the bat family though. Grayson, Tim, Damian, Barbara, Steph, Cass... All characters I find enjoyable if not amazing.
So who's going to spill their guts about how much Wonder Woman sucks? Let's complete the trinity here, people.