Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

sincx posted:

Any updated rumors on the R9 380/390(X)? I think people were talking late Q1 or early Q2 a few months ago, and that's obviously gone out of the window.

Delayed to summer a month or so ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.
Cheers dudes. MSI is is then, its the same price as the EVGA anyway.

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010
My computer runs perfectly fine for what I want at the moment, but I want to boost up my computer slightly for upcoming couple of games I might buy. Particularly the Witcher 3.

I have a Zotac 560ti OC (I don't remember if it was 850 or 905), I was thinking of SLIing it. I read the Nvidia article on it and I'm wondering if that will get me the extra distance. Is that stupid? I don't really want to spend much money for a hobby I'm kind of coming to the end of.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
Buy a new GPU wholesale

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Lord Windy posted:

My computer runs perfectly fine for what I want at the moment, but I want to boost up my computer slightly for upcoming couple of games I might buy. Particularly the Witcher 3.

I have a Zotac 560ti OC (I don't remember if it was 850 or 905), I was thinking of SLIing it. I read the Nvidia article on it and I'm wondering if that will get me the extra distance. Is that stupid? I don't really want to spend much money for a hobby I'm kind of coming to the end of.

Don't bother with SLI for a 560ti. Just get a 960 instead.

e: I mean, if you get a free 560ti from somewhere, sure, but the 560 series was plagued with so many driver issues for whatever reason that I can't believe it would be a really fun experience.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
I was going to say - wouldn't any 900 series stomp the life out of SLI'd 560ti's?

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
SLI 560ti's at 210+W a pop is the stuff that gives me nightmares.
Time to make the ole 960/970 decision or wait for AMD, but they won't make it for Witcher.

Duck and burger
Jul 21, 2006
Never a greater duo
So I just disconnected and reconnected everything to my PSU for irrelevant reasons, and now whenever things get graphically hairy, the computer shuts down with no BSOD. Also while I was in there, I noticed my MSI 970 is so loving heavy it's starting to bend downward at the outside corner. Possibly relevant? Any ideas on how to narrow down the cause of this problem? No graphical glitches or high temperatures before the shutdown, quick RAM test came up clean.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
I'd make sure everything is seated correctly, even if you didn't unplug it (something may have gotten wiggled). Also check out all of your standoff screws, I had some instability issues that were alleviated by securing a couple of screws that had worked loose.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Hey, so I just got an MSI 970 to replace my unfortunately-chosen Asus R9 280X with the overvolted RAM that finally decided to melt down.

The thing runs great. My only question is, if I don't plan on overclocking it (past the stock OC), is there any reason at all to install MSI afterburner, or should I just stick with the stock nVidia drivers/GeForce Experience?

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Afterburner has some nicer fine grained fan control, and can record games ala FRAPS, but that's about it for extra features.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Heliosicle posted:

What are peoples experiences with Gigabyte cards? I'm thinking of getting a 970 since someone offered to buy my 770. The G1 reviews well and the cooler looks good, but the EVGA SSC is £20 cheaper and has a great warranty.

There's also the MSI 4G 970 that seems almost identical to the G1, not a fan of the look though.

Not a fan. Twice bitten, forever shy for me now. The wife has a 6850, that's always been loud. I grabbed a 7950 a little over 2 years ago, and the Gigabyte was cheap and rated well. It is easily the loudest component in my (admittedly) somewhat quiet system. But its by a large, large margin. Drives me bonkers. Its also running into issues with the DP connections. Asus or MSI for me from now on, or XFX if I want to throw an aftermarket cooler on it.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Schpyder posted:

Hey, so I just got an MSI 970 to replace my unfortunately-chosen Asus R9 280X with the overvolted RAM that finally decided to melt down.

The thing runs great. My only question is, if I don't plan on overclocking it (past the stock OC), is there any reason at all to install MSI afterburner, or should I just stick with the stock nVidia drivers/GeForce Experience?

It would be pretty silly not to overclock it - I don't know about AMD but Nvidia cards are so tightly controlled voltage wise that you can just move the slider all the way along - it is basically impossible to damage the card without bios modding. The gtx970 leaves a huge amount of performance on the table at stock clocks - think minimum 20%.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

The Lord Bude posted:

It would be pretty silly not to overclock it - I don't know about AMD but Nvidia cards are so tightly controlled voltage wise that you can just move the slider all the way along - it is basically impossible to damage the card without bios modding. The gtx970 leaves a huge amount of performance on the table at stock clocks - think minimum 20%.

Yeah, a basic OC on a 970 roughly gets you the perf of a stock 980. It's the first time I've OC'd a card, super easy.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
I know I could push my 4850 and 7850 into unstable territory very quickly so I understand a little paranoia. Also overclocking never seemed to make much difference in a lot of cases for me so I just wouldn't bother a lot of times.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

The Lord Bude posted:

I'm just running 1080p so all it seems like it'd be doing at that point is running hotter for more frames that my display can't even draw? And is there some reason I'd want to use the afterburner recording feature over just regular shadowplay?

Ah hell, I'll probably just install it anyway and poke around.

Sorry for all the questions, I haven't been with team green for like 10 years.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
It's a 970, there's going to be games where you can't max everything out and stay above 60/120/144fps.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Schpyder posted:

I'm just running 1080p so all it seems like it'd be doing at that point is running hotter for more frames that my display can't even draw? And is there some reason I'd want to use the afterburner recording feature over just regular shadowplay?

If you are on a 60hz 1080 and hit 60 frames all the time then no, there is no benefit to overclocks your card. You could do dsr and push you graphics up that way which might warrant over clocking

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Schpyder posted:

Buy a bigger monitor! :unsmigghh:

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Twerk from Home posted:

Buy a bigger monitor! :unsmigghh:

Don't tempt me. 21:9 monitors are looking better all the time

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Cojawfee posted:

It's a 970, there's going to be games where you can't max everything out and stay above 60/120/144fps.

That's true for a Titan X too.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Panty Saluter posted:

Don't tempt me. 21:9 monitors are looking better all the time

As soon as a 21:9 1440p curved IPS with a good refresh rate comes out, I'm gone. ._.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Cojawfee posted:

Speaking of which, how is ARMA 3 on performance? I remember ARMA 2 was unique for being the only game I have ever seen where faster hard drives would result in a higher framerate. Not just lower load times, or less pop-in, but an honest to god higher framerate. What a busted-rear end engine.

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
It's a struggle to hit 60FPS in any multiplayer situation at 1080 on high graphics. In my experience you sit in the 40-50s unless nothing is going on. When it's struggling you hit the 30s.

Carecat fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Apr 8, 2015

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010

Gwaihir posted:

Don't bother with SLI for a 560ti. Just get a 960 instead.

e: I mean, if you get a free 560ti from somewhere, sure, but the 560 series was plagued with so many driver issues for whatever reason that I can't believe it would be a really fun experience.

I don't want to spend $300 on a new video card for a computer I'm going to be not using for the year of 2016. I was looking on Ebay and I could see them for around $100.

But if it's a terrible idea, I might go and look for a cheap 660 or something.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Lord Windy posted:

I don't want to spend $300 on a new video card for a computer I'm going to be not using for the year of 2016. I was looking on Ebay and I could see them for around $100.

If you're in the US, a 960 is more like $200, FWIW.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Lord Windy posted:

SLI-ing your old Fermi cards is a pretty bad idea, and FWIW when you buy a 960 you get a free copy of the Witcher 3 which is basically like a $60 discount. It'll be faster than even situations with perfect SLI scaling (rarer on Fermi), and you'll get more VRAM and substantially lower noise and temps.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

KakerMix posted:

If you are on a 60hz 1080 and hit 60 frames all the time then no, there is no benefit to overclocks your card. You could do dsr and push you graphics up that way which might warrant over clocking

I've run a few games (Borderlands 2, Skyrim) in DSR and thought they looked like absolute rear end that way compared to a good amount of AA.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Lord Windy posted:

Are you getting rid of the entire computer or are you willing to grandfather some parts, like say that GTX 970, onto a new machine? It's a value because it'll last on multiple systems for the majority of people.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Schpyder posted:

I've run a few games (Borderlands 2, Skyrim) in DSR and thought they looked like absolute rear end that way compared to a good amount of AA.

The games themselves should look better, but UI scaling can gently caress off real bad and ruin everything. That and if you dsr out of proportion can really mess with things too. I don't have borderlands and haven't dsr'd Skyrim and thus no opinion about those games.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Schpyder posted:

DSR just gives you some of the gains of higher res. There's really no way it makes games look like absolute rear end by simply downscaling a higher res image.

I guess if there's a game that has a good AA implementation and you tried to do DSR with no AA then it could be worse. Were you using a weird resolution to scale to? For the most part if you can simply enable DSR with whatever quality settings you already have selected and if it doesn't murder your GPU by maxing your vram, you should be able to see an improvement.

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

Are you getting rid of the entire computer or are you willing to grandfather some parts, like say that GTX 970, onto a new machine? It's a value because it'll last on multiple systems for the majority of people.

I'm moving overseas to China for the year (fingers crossed). So it's more I'm going to leave it sitting on a desk/ in a box than anything else.

BurritoJustice posted:

SLI-ing your old Fermi cards is a pretty bad idea, and FWIW when you buy a 960 you get a free copy of the Witcher 3 which is basically like a $60 discount. It'll be faster than even situations with perfect SLI scaling (rarer on Fermi), and you'll get more VRAM and substantially lower noise and temps.

I had no idea you got a copy for free, that is actually pretty good value. If I don't have to buy Witcher 3 that works out to be around ~200 if I get the gigabyte mini-itx one.

Except for this game, I'm basically at a point where I think whatever the successor to the Iris Pro will suit me happily. I play grognards almost exclusively, with some Sims 4 and now a little bit of Pillars of Eternity which I backed ages ago. So I'll have to think on it.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Schpyder posted:

Skyrim is a bad example because the textures are so bad and things are just generally aliased as hell compared to many of its contemporaries. DSR tends to exacerbate that but that's more on the shithouse engine than the graphics card. If I run Skyrim at 3840 x 2160 I also get a "Level Up" message stuck on the lower right of my screen.

OTOH Dark Souls 1 looks a-loving-mazing with DSFix rendering everything at 3840 x 2160. Almost needs no antialiasing if you get the amount of DSR blur right (a setting well worth playing with).

Phil Tenderpuss
Jun 11, 2012
I'm trying to figure out if I absolutely need to upgrade my power supply in order to slap a 970GTX in my system. I've currently got a Corsair vx450w (80+, high quality Japanese capacitors) that's about 4 or 5 years old. My CPU is a i5-2500k and I don't really plan on doing much if any overclocking on it or the GPU. From the research I've done so far it looks like I should probably be OK but I'd like to hear what you guys think.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Phil Tenderpuss posted:

I'm trying to figure out if I absolutely need to upgrade my power supply in order to slap a 970GTX in my system. I've currently got a Corsair vx450w (80+, high quality Japanese capacitors) that's about 4 or 5 years old. My CPU is a i5-2500k and I don't really plan on doing much if any overclocking on it or the GPU. From the research I've done so far it looks like I should probably be OK but I'd like to hear what you guys think.

450 watts is fine but a 5 year old PSU is getting a little old in years.

Phil Tenderpuss
Jun 11, 2012

The Iron Rose posted:

Cool thanks. I did a little more research into the power supply and it looks like the output is underrated by around 75 watts anyway so thats good. The problem I noticed though would be in the power connectors. It has a single 12V rail (puts out 32A) and only 1 6 pin connector but it looks like the 970 needs an 8 pin plus a 6 pin connector in order to work. Could I just use a molex to 8 pin adapter?

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Phil Tenderpuss posted:

Cool thanks. I did a little more research into the power supply and it looks like the output is underrated by around 75 watts anyway so thats good. The problem I noticed though would be in the power connectors. It has a single 12V rail (puts out 32A) and only 1 6 pin connector but it looks like the 970 needs an 8 pin plus a 6 pin connector in order to work. Could I just use a molex to 8 pin adapter?

GPU wattage requirements are over-stated since Nvidia doesn't want to have to deal with claims if a shitbox PSU blows up your fancy new graphics card. A molex to 8 pin would prolly work, but you should probably get a new PSU anyway tbh.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

The Iron Rose posted:

A good rule of thumb is just replace it when your warranty expires. I don't think I've seen a warranty greater than 5 years.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Party Plane Jones posted:

A good rule of thumb is just replace it when your warranty expires. I don't think I've seen a warranty greater than 5 years.

Rosewill and seasonic do 7 year warranties and evga does 10 year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

Gun Saliva
IIRC the VX series was made by Seasonic but it's still probably hitting the end of its lifespan since it was an entry-level series that debuted in 2007. A newer PSU would probably be more efficient anyways.