Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

This is like chili...but with PORK!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year

mindphlux posted:

just because I feel like we need to establish the ground rules again ever so often in this thread

Chili :
  • Beef. Not ground - cubed, preferably something with good beefy flavor. Preferably chargrilled or at least seared off.
  • Chilies. Preferably freshly toasted and ground, or made into a paste
  • Onions/garlic. Preferably caramelized, most likely diced.
  • Good stock. Beef, naturally - but chicken or whatever will do.
  • Salt + pepper.

That's it.

You can add anything else you want to chili, like canned chipotles, beer, chocolate, beans (if you're a loving idiot), whatever.

But that's Chili™℠®. Your bullshit IPA chocolate blackbean chili is "IPA chocolate blackbean" style chili, but chili proper is just meat, aromatics, chili, and stock.

your ground beef with pasta mixed in is whatever the gently caress you wanna call it, but it ain't no gonna be chili.

How about I just call Cincinnati chili "Cincinnati chili" considering that's, you know, what it's literally been called for a century. You can just call the original chili Gods One True Chili if it makes you feel better. loving food purists :jerkbag:.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

kittenmittons posted:

How about I just call Cincinnati chili "Cincinnati chili" considering that's, you know, what it's literally been called for a century. You can just call the original chili Gods One True Chili if it makes you feel better. loving food purists :jerkbag:.
allrecipes.com is a good place to go if all you want is a food-based echo chamber.

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year

MasterFugu posted:

allrecipes.com is a good place to go if all you want is a food-based echo chamber.

:ironicat:

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

MasterFugu posted:

Have you read http://forums.somethingawful.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=161 ?

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

this is a cool argument, definitely keep it up everyone

mindphlux posted:

Beef. Not ground - cubed, preferably something with good beefy flavor. Preferably chargrilled or at least seared off.

are you seriously saying that "if it has ground beef it isn't chili" because good lord

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
It's just chili

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

angerbeet posted:

It's just chili

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

angerbeet posted:

It's just a spicy stew containing chili peppers, meat (usually beef), and often tomatoes and beans. Other seasonings may include garlic, onions, and cumin. Variations, both geographic and personal, involve different types of meat and ingredients. Recipes provoke disputes among aficionados, some of whom insist that the word “chili” applies only to the basic dish, without beans and tomatoes. Chili is a frequent dish for cook-offs, and is used as an ingredient in other dishes.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
I had meant to include a link to a discussion from 1994 about chili vs chili beans but the link checker was not having it: maybe this time.

https://groups.google.com/d/msg/rec.food.cooking/Vm9jvg2Jess/j0kt0wqrzssJ

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Tatsuta Age posted:

this is a cool argument, definitely keep it up everyone

are you seriously saying that "if it has ground beef it isn't chili" because good lord

basically yeah

if only because almost every recipe I've ever seen that calls for grinding the beef also calls for 10+ ingredients and doesn't involve searing off the meat, etc.

so like while I don't actually think you have to make chili with cubed beef, I think for all intents and purposes it's much easier to just say 'no, ground beef can't make chili' because the average cook who is wondering 'hey am I making chili right' will just see 'ground beef' in the ingredient list and mentally check out, like 'oh yeah, I'm totally on track that's what I do' when their end dish tastes like poo poo.

I'm not being a sperglord or a purist. I'm trying to articulate (in words, over the internet) what small qualitative differences there are between a pot of waterlogged flavorless ground beef stewing in tomato juice, and a really superbly flavored beefy dish you can legitimately call chili. with either version, sure, "it's just chili" - but... it's just chili. there are very few ingredients in the dish. the quality of the meat you're using and the attention to detail matter.

seriously.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

mindphlux posted:

Chili with ground beef isn't real chili because most people suck at cooking

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

mindphlux posted:

basically yeah

if only because almost every recipe I've ever seen that calls for grinding the beef also calls for 10+ ingredients and doesn't involve searing off the meat, etc.

so like while I don't actually think you have to make chili with cubed beef, I think for all intents and purposes it's much easier to just say 'no, ground beef can't make chili' because the average cook who is wondering 'hey am I making chili right' will just see 'ground beef' in the ingredient list and mentally check out, like 'oh yeah, I'm totally on track that's what I do' when their end dish tastes like poo poo.

I'm not being a sperglord or a purist. I'm trying to articulate (in words, over the internet) what small qualitative differences there are between a pot of waterlogged flavorless ground beef stewing in tomato juice, and a really superbly flavored beefy dish you can legitimately call chili. with either version, sure, "it's just chili" - but... it's just chili. there are very few ingredients in the dish. the quality of the meat you're using and the attention to detail matter.

seriously.

While I don't disagree with anything you said there, I do disagree with what you first said, which is that nothing that isn't only:

Mindphlux posted:

Beef. Not ground - cubed, preferably something with good beefy flavor. Preferably chargrilled or at least seared off.
Chilies. Preferably freshly toasted and ground, or made into a paste
Onions/garlic. Preferably caramelized, most likely diced.
Good stock. Beef, naturally - but chicken or whatever will do.
Salt + pepper.
can possibly be chili. Do you not see how your original statement was perhaps overly reductionist?

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

While I don't disagree with anything you said there, I do disagree with what you first said, which is that nothing that isn't only:

can possibly be chili. Do you not see how your original statement was perhaps overly reductionist?

Do you not see how my point is that people cooking chili from recipes on the internet demand a reductionist standpoint on basic technique to achieve basic competency?

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

But this thread isn't just for "people cooking chili from recipes on the internet", it's also a place for voicing new ideas and honing techniques and recipes. I don't mind the reductionist view, but to say that that's the one true chilli is a bit silly.

I make chilli with the addition of beans, tomatoes and pork ribs. Does that mean I have to call it "chunks of cooked down beef and pork in a flavourful spicy stew and beans"? Or can I just call it chilli? Because I'm pretty sure the street vendors who originally made it would recognise it as such...

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Scientastic posted:

But this thread isn't just for "people cooking chili from recipes on the internet", it's also a place for voicing new ideas and honing techniques and recipes. I don't mind the reductionist view, but to say that that's the one true chilli is a bit silly.

I make chilli with the addition of beans, tomatoes and pork ribs. Does that mean I have to call it "chunks of cooked down beef and pork in a flavourful spicy stew and beans"? Or can I just call it chilli? Because I'm pretty sure the street vendors who originally made it would recognise it as such...

I never said anything about a one true chili. I just wanted to re-establish some basic ground rules for a basic, true to form, delicious - unobjectionable technically acceptable chili.

mindphlux posted:

just because I feel like we need to establish the ground rules again ever so often in this thread

Chili :
  • Beef. Not ground - cubed, preferably something with good beefy flavor. Preferably chargrilled or at least seared off.
  • Chilies. Preferably freshly toasted and ground, or made into a paste
  • Onions/garlic. Preferably caramelized, most likely diced.
  • Good stock. Beef, naturally - but chicken or whatever will do.
  • Salt + pepper.

That's it.

You can add anything else you want to chili, like canned chipotles, beer, chocolate, beans (if you're a loving idiot), whatever

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.

mindphlux posted:

I never said anything about a one true chili. I just wanted to re-establish some basic ground rules for a basic, true to form, delicious - unobjectionable technically acceptable chili.

You are saying these other recipes are not chili because of additional additives. The method you are talking about is a good jumping off point but by no means the end all, beat all. Every new ingredient adds a new level of flavor and complexity to what would otherwise be somewhat unimpressive. This is not the place to reinforce the status quo, but to push the boundaries of chili goodness.

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer
I often use ground beef in chili, and it is always delicious so..........

Also beans

Syenite fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Apr 9, 2015

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

lol

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

mindphlux posted:

I'm not being a sperglord

:v:

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Shukaro posted:

Also beans

I often cook up some eggs with pork, cheese, and spinach, and it is always delicious, but I don't try to pass it off as chili.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.

Shukaro posted:

Also beans

This is a good formula for a chili to be used as a topping (chili-dogs, nachos, etc).

Let it be known I do not denounce the ground beef eaters amongst us, rather welcoming them as brothers of the cause. I know I started with ground beef chilis and have taken to using primarily stew meat based on personal preference. I would highly encourage anyone who has always used ground beef to try it with some cubed meat and see how it tickles your fancy, though.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

mindphlux posted:

I never said anything about a one true chili.

Right, you just gave an example of chili that you say isn't chili and called someone a loving idiot if they would add an ingredient you wouldn't. Totally not the same thing at all! :spergin:

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
If only someone in the past had spergged about what is and isn't chili we wouldn't be going through this.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
:negative:

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

Scientastic posted:

Down here in Australia, we call the ground beef, tomatoes and beans version "chilli con carne". But we also recognise the one true "chili' (tm) tex mex USA (one 'L') is a different dish and has cubed beef, onion, stock and all those other things mindphlux says. I disagree that no pork is allowed, but the point is no tomatoes or beans.

No idea what came first, but people I know recognize the difference between "chili", and "chilli con carne", the latter often having flavours and spices out of a packet usually, and made up of beans, tomatoes and ground beef.

Helps that the british/australian spelling of chilli has two 'l's, and we only spell it the US way when meaning the tex mex cubed beef/pork no tomato and beans version.
E: I know con carne just means 'with meat'
Also I welcome the difference as if you put tomatoes in everything, then every stew taste the same. Chili with tomatoes and ground beef may as well be ragu with chilli peppers. Chili with beans may as well be a bean stew.
Putting them all together for chilli con carne is acceptable for just having a cheap meal for poors like me. Good for filling tacos with or having with rice, but it's not a special meal in any way.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Apr 10, 2015

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Fo3 posted:

acceptable for just having a cheap meal for poors like me

If only there was some sort of food that you could cook with a dedicated thread that could be ruined by spergs claiming that a regional peasant dish could ever be an immutable thing with no permitted variations...

Chill is a stew for poor people, and as such can have things added to it to make the expensive meat go further. To deny this is to ignore the roots of the dish and completely misses the whole point of it.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
Because I'm from a different country, chili to me is fancy foreigner food, with people using fancy BBQs and smokers to compete in cook offs, with secret recipes and additives, and an industry developed around selling sauces and flavourings.
There's always the bean threads and poor people threads to talk about the other version, the 2 "L" chilli con carne with beans and tomatoes. :v:

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Apr 10, 2015

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer
People going on autistic rants about how chili (1 'L') isn't chili (1 'L') because it has tomatoes and/or beans and/or ground beef is always the best thing about chili (1 'L') threads.

Syenite fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Apr 10, 2015

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
That's a sperg? I don't give a crap, and don't need to rant about it. Not a problem for me it's just how I/family/friends/country differentiates the two versions to ourselves.
One is a cheap ground beef version like a bolognese but with chilli and beans, the other is a cubed meat stew like a curry.
E: It's not like we even have to say "chili" with 1 'L' 2 'L'. Just need to say chilli con carne, or real chili; just like "cincinatti chili" and "chili" are different things and have known meanings over there.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Apr 10, 2015

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Cincinnati chili should stay in 'weird regional foods' or 'disgusting things from your hometown that nobody else eats'

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Chili is regional. Up here in Michigan you'll hear "Why the heck is this all meat? Where's the beans? Aren't there any tomato in here? Why is it so thick?" if you present a Texas-style chili.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
The beauty of where I live is I don't have to converse with those people.
Beans and tomato is pretty Mexican (which is why we say "con carne" here, to point out it's the Mexican version with beans and tomatoes). Chili with cubed/diced meat is very much tex-mex so I'd give Texas the shout out and do it their way and just say chili, and drop the Mexican connotation.
Wasn't it Boston that was famous in the USA for beans? Didn't the Spanish send all the tomatoes to Europe?

Just kidding about the tomatoes, but I find them as prevalent in euro cooking as Mexican cuisine. Jealous that I can't get any tomatillos around here.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Apr 10, 2015

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
Does the pizza thread have the same argument? "The only pizza is dough, a little bit of tomato, mozzarella, and lots of heat. Anything else can be called pizza alla salame, or whatever you mouthbreathers like to call it, but it is NOT 'pizza'."

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

Does the pizza thread have the same argument? "The only pizza is dough, a little bit of tomato, mozzarella, and lots of heat. Anything else can be called pizza alla salame, or whatever you mouthbreathers like to call it, but it is NOT 'pizza'."

See: party cut, St Louis style, deep dish, pineapple

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Fo3 posted:

The beauty of where I live is I don't have to converse with those people.
Beans and tomato is pretty Mexican (which is why we say "con carne" here, to point out it's the Mexican version with beans and tomatoes). Chili with cubed/diced meat is very much tex-mex so I'd give Texas the shout out and do it their way and just say chili, and drop the Mexican connotation.
Wasn't it Boston that was famous in the USA for beans? Didn't the Spanish send all the tomatoes to Europe?

Just kidding about the tomatoes, but I find them as prevalent in euro cooking as Mexican cuisine. Jealous that I can't get any tomatillos around here.

i'm unable to discern trolling from real posts in this thread any more but literally "con carne" means with meat so i'm at a loss right here.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Casu Marzu posted:

See: party cut, St Louis style, deep dish, pineapple

Those are all types of pizza, just like Texas style, Cincinnati style, etc. are all styles of chili. I'm asking more if anybody yells at other people for 'mistakenly' calling Chicago style pizza 'pizza' in that thread.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

even if somebody has it in their head that "a bowl of beans with nothing else in it" is "chili" who really gives a poo poo lol

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Tatsuta Age posted:

even if somebody has it in their head that "a bowl of beans with nothing else in it" is "chili" who really gives a poo poo lol

internet autists

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
The pizza scene is a disaster though, nothing like the purity of the internet chili scene.