Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Nie wywoluj wilka z lasu, glupku.
Sometimes, the journey of a thousand miles ends very, very painfully. Disappointingly. Sometimes it ends superbly, cinematically, hilariously. Sometimes it doesn't end at all. Either way, I'm reasonably confident that you'll find this episode to be sufficiently...

UNBELIEVABLE. HA HA HAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Bacter fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Apr 9, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

You're great Bacter.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
ha, good work.

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

We're all pretty great!

End boss drinking game: take a shot every time I open a door and get hit square in the face with a rocket.

Bacter fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Apr 9, 2015

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
Holy poo poo, way to go dude! I thought it was over, when you ran out of ammo and realized you'd forgotten to grab the minigun. I was thinking, "Oh man, he's going to lose because of that!?" poo poo, dude, that was incredible.

legoman727
Mar 13, 2010

by exmarx
holy gently caress, I was on the edge of my seat that entire boss battle. the only way it could have been better is if you finished it with the Fat John.

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

They say that he who dies with the most Opil wins.

I am winning.
Bacter, that was brilliant. Thank you. That was an incredible introduction to what looks like quite an interesting game, and gods, the tension in that last battle!

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Incidentally, Leylite is about a thousand times better at this game than I am, so I'll be learning as much as you all will from his videos. Plus there's the arena to demo, and I'd like to show off a cool mod that I found on the Paradox forums...

Man. That was just, everything I could have asked for in a final level. It took 100% of what I had and ALMOST stood up to it. In a way the Fat John DID win me that fight, because if I'd ditched it and not used all the shotgun ammo I'd accumulated, odds are very good I'd have been dry on mg ammo for the core.

So that final boss is different from other ones, in that he's not actually a separate enemy. Like, there are a couple (the bosses, camera, and turret) whose bestiary entries don't unlock in regular play. The final boss just flat doesn't HAVE one (though he does have an icon in the enemy icons graphic, which is weird).

I mentioned that the railgun is no good on him, and I think that's on account of how he's secretly a bunch of scenery rather than a true enemy. Probably the OPTIMAL way to beat the sucker is to use a MG or Shotgun to blow away all his missile launchers first. Miniguns look scarier but are way less dangerous because of my magshield. From there, it'd be a simple case of running from cover to cover, and blowing through his outer walls. If I'd had even 20 more charge in my lasgunmod, that fight would have been over a lot sooner than it was - I used the very last of the lasgun to blow through his inner shield.

As cool a fight as it was, it somewhat came down to luck in the end. His inner core is very fragile, and it kind of so happened that I left the penalty box RIGHT as the holes I'd blasted in his shields aligned. Still, I'll TAKE it!

Bacter fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Apr 9, 2015

Leylite
Nov 5, 2011
Congratulations are in order! The story of Bruce Gorillas will be repeated for centuries.

I have to admit, I was a little worried you would walk a bit too close to the boss after you defeated him and did your victory lap. Believe it or not, destroying the core does not shut off his tasers, probably related to the way he's made of scenery.

Bacter posted:

Incidentally, Leylite is about a thousand times better at this game than I am, so I'll be learning as much as you all will from his videos.

Naaaaaaah. I am in no way a third-person-shooter expert, and I think my videos are going to show that off in a few embarrassing ways. Nevertheless I think the run may still be a valuable contribution to the thread. I'll start uploading the videos tomorrow, and then all you readers can be disappointed at me too.

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Leylite posted:

I have to admit, I was a little worried you would walk a bit too close to the boss after you defeated him and did your victory lap. Believe it or not, destroying the core does not shut off his tasers, probably related to the way he's made of scenery.

What.

Ok, I'm glad I did a one-life-run, but if I had to die, I would have wanted it to be that way.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
How well does the AGL work against him? Can you thoonk-thoonk-thoonk out a clip of grenades to strip off the minigun turrets from the outer walls?

Leylite
Nov 5, 2011

Captain Bravo posted:

How well does the AGL work against him? Can you thoonk-thoonk-thoonk out a clip of grenades to strip off the minigun turrets from the outer walls?

I've never tried it yet, but it sure sounds like a good idea. One small issue with that though is the agl itself doesn't do that much damage (you saw it takes 4 agl to blow up 1 secret wall, and I suspect the boss's stuff is slightly tougher). The boss also spins around, the agl has a slow rate of fire, and the agl projectile travels slowly, so I suspect it would result in the damage being spread all around the boss until a few of the turrets actually started dying. Still, it could be an actually good use for the agl-3 and I hope someone tries it.

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
Quick question: I saw an achievement pop up after you minced that final boss. Was that for finishing the whole game from level one? and if so, how many people even have that? I mean geez.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

The one that popped up in the video is just for beating level 10, which 1.3% of the people who play on Steam have. I'm not sure why the achievement for completing the game starting from level 1 didn't pop up, though. That one's owned by 1.2% of people.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Tombot posted:

Quick question: I saw an achievement pop up after you minced that final boss. Was that for finishing the whole game from level one? and if so, how many people even have that? I mean geez.

Nope, that was actually for surviving level 10. I'm not sure how it's possible to miss that if you've beaten the game before (judging from the achievements for 1st successful run / 1 life run not popping up).

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Teleglitch doesn't look at your data to give you steam awards, it just looks at current achievements: the time I beat it before I wasn't online, is all I can figure. I WAS surprised to see the award though, because I "got" the award both for surviving level 10 and surviving level 10 with one life a few weeks ago, when I clipped through a wall in level 3 and disintegrated. :v:

Incidentally, I ALSO saw the little flag show up for getting the ironman survival achievement, but it didn't pop until I'd started a new game. (??)

Incidentally, don't feel bad, people who never beat level 3 - according to the steam achievements, it's only 8.9% of players!

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
BTW, which version are you playing? I have the Die More Edition and it seems slightly different, I can't get random starting loadouts for example. And plates cost 5 cans, I couldve sworn they cost 4 even in this edition :pwn:

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

This is, as far as I know, 9.3 with DME and Guns + Tunes installed. You need Guns and Tunes to get the different starting gear.

What version do they cost 4 cans in?

Bacter fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Apr 9, 2015

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Ah, I thought G&T was an upgrade from normal to DME or something like that.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Nah, G&T is an extra thing. It just got supplied "free" if you preordered Teleglitch.

Also, only 38.6% of people who own Teleglitch on steam have beaten level 1, which goes to show how many people just buy a game and never play it.

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

The weirdest thing about G+T is how it downloads a bunch of music to your installation folder, which is in no way accessible in-game.

Hey incidentally, anybody wanna play Noct with me when it comes out?

If you like this...

Bacter fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Apr 9, 2015

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

I'm not sure I'd call that weird, as it explicitly states that's what it does. It's how a lot of games on Steam do soundtrack downloads, and is only even remotely weird because Teleglitch normally doesn't have a soundtrack.

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Do they? I guess I've never bought a soundtrack before, so I don't know how it goes - I'm also more familiar with the concept of buying soundtracks from games that have got soundtracks :v:

Dancer
May 23, 2011

Bacter posted:

The weirdest thing about G+T is how it downloads a bunch of music to your installation folder, which is in no way accessible in-game.

Hey incidentally, anybody wanna play Noct with me when it comes out?

If you like this...

Hellz to the yeah I'll play that with you. Assuming it turns out to not be terrible. I googled a bit and I failed to find any other games by the same author.

Also little funny story: I'm actually in the credits for Teleglitch. A very long time ago, the author posted a beta build of the game to his facebook page, and said that anyone completing it will get credit as a tester, and the full version of the game when it comes out. I had actually totally forgotten this, but happened to look at the credits and find my name.

Leylite
Nov 5, 2011
Bruce Gorillas has completed his mission. In this alternate timeline, Bruce is needed to put down some other mutant uprisings on other planets, as well as assist in the production of future Die Hard movies. Instead, the duty of escaping falls to our new hero... Greg Orangutan.

Leylite Module 1 - Timeline Deviation

Leylite Module 2 - Bigger Fish to Fry

Module 1 covers level 1, which as mentioned before contains all the same rooms and the same enemy count we saw in Bacter's playthrough, but the monsters and rooms are all in different locations which leads to different tactics. Module 2 covers the alternate level 2b, the Abandoned Plankton Farm.

Some disclaimers: First of all, the first thing you'll notice is that my trackpad clicks are going to be audible in my commentary. That's unavoidable because I'm a cheap jerk who doesn't want to buy a USB mouse just for LP quality. The second is that I made the microphone a little too sensitive while I was recording the commentary, so there is some occasional popping. For those I apologize.

Hopefully this playthrough shows how even a routine playthrough of levels 1 and 2 can lead to some unexpected sources of damage. I also show off the nailgun1 in the latter half of level 2; we'll be seeing more creative uses for it further on.

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

So one neat thing about these is how it shows off the great differences in level design and encounters. Because a lot of the combat is so tight and close, even having similar enemies and level designs, and simply switching up the order and position of encounters, really changes a lot. It lets you build expertise, as we've seen with Leylite here, but keeps it from being truly boring.

Also, this saves me from having to do the knife skills clinic :v:

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Leylite, you said (reliably, as we've seen) that there are certain loot rooms/pieces scattered all over the level. How random is it? Is absolutely everything pre-determined and only the locations vary, or is there only a few of these premade rooms and the rest is random cabinets with random loot?

BTW, could you record in 720p or is that a problem? I know it sounds weird for a pixel game, but it does make a difference in visibility. Also, please don't click the microphone :v:

Pierzak fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Apr 9, 2015

Leylite
Nov 5, 2011

Pierzak posted:

Leylite, you said (reliably, as we've seen) that there are certain loot rooms/pieces scattered all over the level. How random is it? Is absolutely everything pre-determined and only the locations vary, or is there only a few of these premade rooms and the rest is random cabinets with random loot?

Yes, the amount of loot in a level is always pre-determined. There's a pool of non-secret loot assigned to the level, that is then randomly distributed across it in loot chests and on the ground, and there's a pool of secret loot that is placed in randomly-assigned secret rooms. I don't think the number of secrets is always the same in all levels - level 1 usually has the nailbomb + shotgun shells secret and the cangun secret somewhere in the level, but mid-game seems to vary more heavily. Again, someone who took a closer look at the LUA script files could probably figure out how exactly loot is placed and secret rooms are generated.

Note that, of course, level 2 and level 2b have different loot in them.

quote:

BTW, could you record in 720p or is that a problem? I know it sounds weird for a pixel game, but it does make a difference in visibility.

Sorry, I recorded the entire LP in one segment and am chopping up the video into multiple segments. I'm not that interested in re-recording any segments, and even if I did it would lead to inconsistencies in the start/ends of levels that I don't want to have to explain away if I don't have to.

I experimented with recording in 720p and at the current resolution, and I decided to record at the current resolution for a combination of multiple reasons:

1) I refuse to play this game in windowed mode because the game developers did not code the game such that it captures your mouse inside its window. That is, if you move your mouse cursor outside the window, then click, you will lose focus (and input) on the game window, but the game will still keep playing while unfocused. That's obviously really bad whether or not you're recording an LP, so I always play on fullscreen. This is the reason why a tiny bit of text gets cut off at the top and bottom of the video, as you've seen.

2) I experimented with various video and monitor resolutions on my test recording, and what you see here is the best balance between video quality and framerate smoothness. I was able to get sharper video at the cost of frames occasionally dropping, resulting in video stuttering similar to Bacter's playthrough. (Fortunately my gameplay wasn't affected.) I'm recording this on a Macbook (not particularly powerful) with free (barely adequate) recording software. I decided that since this is an action game, I'd better have a smooth video.

3) After doing some editing on the arena test and sector 1, and watching the resulting videos, I figured my result looked "good enough".

quote:

Also, please don't click the microphone :v:

I am the worst!

I appreciate the concern, though. If I record any addendum videos I'll try again and see if I can optimize it a little bit better.

Leylite fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Apr 10, 2015

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
480 is OK if more's a problem. Just wanted to know if it's easily doable.

Pity about the loot though. I understand how the predictability can add to the reliance on skill and mastering the game, but it's a big turnoff to me, it kinda feels like I'm gaming the system and not actually doing better on my own merits :|

VVV: Good point.

Pierzak fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Apr 10, 2015

Leylite
Nov 5, 2011
Actually, there is some loot that isn't pre-determined, and that's monster drops. Certain enemies (like mutants and zombies) drop canned meat, welders drop tasers which is basically the best thing ever if the RNG says you'll get some, and there are enough war walkers in the game that you'll probably see a single one drop one (although it may be too late to care about it). I am pretty sure that each individual monster has a small independent chance of dropping its resource, although someone else can feel free to correct me on that.

So what this means is that it's worthwhile to kill the swarms of zombies hiding in the pipes if you have "spare" resources with which to do so, since there's an alright (but not particularly great) chance that you can get extra health and cans by doing so.

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

It's also worth noting that enemies kited into the void can totally drop their goods, and those goods are totally gettable if you don't mind some delicate maneuvering. I've picked up more than one canned meat from the edge of the merciless void!

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -
- was inspired to dust off my copy of Teleglitch

- swan-dived into the void on level 2

:thumbsup:

Good times, good times.*

*Not sarcasm. Times were in fact pretty good.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
I only made it once to the final boss in this game and got destroyed despite having a lot of poo poo and several teleporters. I decided to never touch it again, until now. :smith:

Watching the videos right now and I have to say I'm not a fan of most of the background music, some of it just doesn't fit at all.

Edwhirl
Jul 27, 2007

Cats are the best.
I also picked it up again.

I found that I'm *really bad* at knifing things.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
The railgun is worth making though imo, it destroys squids/warwalkers with a single shot and you can get multiple ones if they line up too.

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Yeah, it's a great weapon. To me, the tradeoff between the lasgunmod and the railgun is being better prepared for the levels vs. being better prepared for bosses, and the final boss in particular.

Johnny Law posted:

- was inspired to dust off my copy of Teleglitch

- swan-dived into the void on level 2

:thumbsup:

Good times, good times.*

*Not sarcasm. Times were in fact pretty good.

That IS pretty representative of how a lot of runs go.

Leylite
Nov 5, 2011

FrickenMoron posted:

Watching the videos right now and I have to say I'm not a fan of most of the background music, some of it just doesn't fit at all.

Feel free to elaborate on that point: Too many lyrics? Too light in tone? The background tunes are one aspect I can change out pretty easily since I still have my project files.

On a related note, here's more modules, showing off more alternate-route levels, and some sudden reminders that Teleglitch is an action game.

Leylite Module 3: Disassembly

Leylite Module 4: The Loony Bin

If you want to give yourself an added challenge while watching, here's one: Find a secret room that I didn't.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Leylite posted:

If you want to give yourself an added challenge while watching, here's one: Find a secret room that I didn't.

Level 2, center of the map. :v:

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Leylite posted:

Feel free to elaborate on that point: Too many lyrics? Too light in tone? The background tunes are one aspect I can change out pretty easily since I still have my project files.

On a related note, here's more modules, showing off more alternate-route levels, and some sudden reminders that Teleglitch is an action game.

Leylite Module 3: Disassembly

Leylite Module 4: The Loony Bin

Don't worry, I meant the original run thats already done, im still currently watching it. :o

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

I figured he meant my medleys - it's just whatever was handy on Free Music Archive's glitch section.

Man, I forgot about the crazy house section - it seems like every time I play through, there is one AWFUL wave right up front.

• Locked thread