Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

Krazyface posted:

The Last of Us LP was way harder to watch after I'd played the game myself. "No you idiots there's 3 bullets in that toilet!"

Although here it's more like "hey there are 3 bullets in that toilet THAT'S PROGRESSION I BETTER NOT GO THAT WAY"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
I think Pat's obsession with not going down the path of Progression until he's found all the side-paths is kinda dumb.

I don't remember this in previous game lps, but I think he has pointed out what is "progression" and what isn't in like the past fiveish LPs he's been in.

OneDeadman fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Apr 10, 2015

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
In most cases I don't blame him, because in the majority of story driven video games there are 2 paths: One leads to side stuff, one leads to progression. If you go to the progression path by accident when you meant to explore, you can't go back and get the side stuff because the way back is inaccessible. Over the years he's gained an aversion to going for the progression path even in open areas in games he cares about, just in case that happens.

Bloodborne, being an incredibly open world game, is not one of those games.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
It makes even less sense because Pat has played all the Souls games, so he should know there is always a chance to go back.

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Okay let's talk about how badly Life is Strange dropping the ball on the second episode. Not how Pat is hilariously overwrought with neuroses. Cause man Life is Strange is meandering around not giving a gently caress.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?
Don't worry, Pat and Woolie have already had about a million people on twitter yell at them about the armor today. I really can't wait until the next set of recorded videos.

Anyways, I've started playing Front Mission 3 because of Mechaweek and I'm enjoying it a lot so far. I'm not that far in, but I agree with Woolie that the internet stuff is a little much, I'm not even sure what benefit I get out of going to all of those websites. Stealing peoples mechs is a lot of fun, though one time I accidentally got my own mech stolen. Thankfully you don't loose your mech even if it's destroyed while an enemy is piloting it. I also wish I could put more that 4 units on the field at a time, I'm worried that I'll just end up sticking with the same 4 people and ignore the rest of the people I recruit.

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Rhonne posted:

Anyways, I've started playing Front Mission 3 because of Mechaweek and I'm enjoying it a lot so far. I'm not that far in, but I agree with Woolie that the internet stuff is a little much, I'm not even sure what benefit I get out of going to all of those websites. Stealing peoples mechs is a lot of fun, though one time I accidentally got my own mech stolen. Thankfully you don't loose your mech even if it's destroyed while an enemy is piloting it. I also wish I could put more that 4 units on the field at a time, I'm worried that I'll just end up sticking with the same 4 people and ignore the rest of the people I recruit.

Holy poo poo, you can steal mechs and also get your mech stolen? That sounds sick.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

FauxGateau posted:

Holy poo poo, you can steal mechs and also get your mech stolen? That sounds sick.

They showed it off in the video. If you make the enemy surrender and run away, you get that mech. You can also steal it if you force the pilot to eject, then eject your own pilot into their mech.

I had my mech stolen when an enemy force my pilot to eject, then another enemy ran up to try and kill my pilot. He missed and my pilot shot back and somehow his 10 damage pistol shot was enough to force that pilot to eject from his tank right into my mech next to him. I was freaking out because I didn't know if I'd loose my mech or not after being force to destroy it, thankfully I didn't loose anything. Poor Ryogo had to finish the mission in a tank.

Rhonne fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Apr 10, 2015

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Rhonne, are you European.

The most common way to get new mechs is the morale system in the game. If an enemy is in Surrender mode with the white flag, the next non-lethal move will make them give up and you get that mech (Also it's effectively dead unless you destroy it yourself for some reason).

This is hard later on because guys like Ryouma have the best skills in the game already learnable from the start, which destroy the gently caress out of things. It's kinda like Pokemon capturing, getting things to the near faint point.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Nah, I'm just bad at typing.

The most annoying thing is getting an enemy in surrender mode when he only has about 10 or so hp left on his body. Even an attack from a pilot would kill him.

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?
Now I wish there was a way to ignore the main story and begin your career as a Wanzer thief. Also, all mech game cabinets should have a light gun in them to simulate last-ditch sidearm use.

Speaking of Mech Week, re-watching the Mechwarrior and Steel Battalion videos reminded me of the 3-piece controller sets for flight sims. Remember those? Thrustmaster Flight Control System, with the joystick, throttle lever, and pedals? And keyboard overlays, too! Slap that poo poo over your function keys so you can remember which key drops chaff when you're being peppered with AA fire.

Rhonne posted:

The most annoying thing is getting an enemy in surrender mode when he only has about 10 or so hp left on his body. Even an attack from a pilot would kill him.
This is the best mental image. "OK Ryogo, you managed to not beat this Wanzer into scrap. Now, just scare the pilot with a couple shots... GOD DAMMIT THIS IS WHY WE CAN'T HAVE NICE THINGS!"

Tupperwarez fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Apr 10, 2015

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Man you could totally build a game around stealing mechs from either a more technologically advanced society or running scrap hits or something.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
will anyone ever be brave enough to make another mech rpg, though?

xenoblade is a game that is coming eventually, but other than that its a pretty empty field. if i'm being honest i'm surprised more companies don't try to cash in on an empty genre

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

hubris.height posted:

will anyone ever be brave enough to make another mech rpg, though?

xenoblade is a game that is coming eventually, but other than that its a pretty empty field. if i'm being honest i'm surprised more companies don't try to cash in on an empty genre

You mean besides the long running super robot wars?

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Tae posted:

You mean besides the long running super robot wars?

Isn't that more of a tactics game than a straight up RPG?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

The Bee posted:

Isn't that more of a tactics game than a straight up RPG?

More of an rpg than front mission.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
ah yes, that game for that console that is most certainly not a dead console used exclusively to play psx games

how could i have forgotten that one example

e: how many of those titles even made it to NA

hubris.height fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Apr 10, 2015

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

hubris.height posted:

ah yes, that game for that console that is most certainly not a dead console used exclusively to play psx games

how could i have forgotten that one example

e: how many of those titles even made it to NA

Um what? It's on ps4.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
my mistake, only saw a vita game released last year

literally never heard of them/it

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

hubris.height posted:

my mistake, only saw a vita game released last year

literally never heard of them/it

well yeah it can't really be released outside of Japan but it's been on portable and non portable systems since the SNES.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

The Super Robot OGs came out on GBA, but a lot of people like Woolie buy them anyway since the PS4/Vita games are region-free.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
pats a dumbass

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
woolie: "maybe this?"
pat: "definitely that."

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

scary ghost dog posted:

pats a dumbass

TheRealestMatt posted:

^ I've literally been saying this for decades.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
They're all dumbasses, that's why I love them. They are all a living embodiment of the lovable dope character cliche.

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

Man, I wish the lanterns actually worked the way Pat thinks they work.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
I like how Woolie says Gascoin now. Reminds me of ducks.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
edit: Awww never mind he realized right afterward that he was wrong. I was excited, too.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Wiseblood posted:

Man, I wish the lanterns actually worked the way Pat thinks they work.

Why? You die and go to the Hunter's Dream and then you choose which lantern you respawn at to even get back into the game.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

RareAcumen posted:

Why? You die and go to the Hunter's Dream and then you choose which lantern you respawn at to even get back into the game.

no you dont, pat.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Being able to just set one as your spawn lantern like using a bonfire in Dark Souls would be cool though.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

RareAcumen posted:

Because the loading screens are already too long and I don't want that extra hunter's dream load there.

I also wish you could teleport between lanterns without going to the hunter's dream like in Dark souls 2.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

looking forward to them selling the other clothing set without ever looking at it and everyone in the youtube comments fully melting down

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

lets hang out posted:

looking forward to them selling the other clothing set without ever looking at it and everyone in the youtube comments fully melting down

I wonder how many angry tweets they get about Bloodborne each day.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Andrast posted:

Because the loading screens are already too long and I don't want that extra hunter's dream load there.

Oh okay, fair enough.

Wordnumber
Jan 13, 2015
They're actually getting through Bloodborne at a pretty even clip so far, all things considered. I kinda wish they got hit by the doom orb and saw the cool thing but I can't really blame them for dodging an obvious hazard.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

Wordnumber posted:

They're actually getting through Bloodborne at a pretty even clip so far, all things considered. I kinda wish they got hit by the doom orb and saw the cool thing but I can't really blame them for dodging an obvious hazard.

what does it do

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

hubris.height posted:

what does it do

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCzUjXLTXN8

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

oh i thought you meant that the boulder on the bridge did something weird

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU