Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

For me unique is not run of the mill. Considering how many cool and different classes the game has I don't want to end up being just an archer or standard mage like figure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WAMPA_STOMPA
Oct 21, 2010
Well, what does that mean? The archmage has more different possible options than almost anyone. Archers are super boring though. TWs or skirmishers are better for ranged fun stuff. The DLC classes are great.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Paradox mage is bonkers and off the wall

Velius
Feb 27, 2001

100YrsofAttitude posted:

For me unique is not run of the mill. Considering how many cool and different classes the game has I don't want to end up being just an archer or standard mage like figure.

The "standard" mage in Tome is almost overwhelming in possibilities, far more so than any other class. So if you want unique, but probably doomed if you're not experienced with the game, run an Archmage. Here's a brief review of classes.

You seem like you're relatively new to the game. Berserkers are one of the recommended classes for new since they're straightforward, but they're not really all that deep to play and pretty one-note. They're also shockingly prone to dying horribly to the mid-game transition to mages and ranged status effects. I'm not sure when you died, or what you have unlocked, so I'm not sure what advice to give. Of the 'fighter' archetypes, brawlers are probably the most interesting from a melee standpoint, and they're pretty powerful on the normal difficulty. They depreciate on higher difficulties because their damage output struggles when facing the sorts of armor uniques and bosses can have, and you tend to be gear limited as a result (praying for a set of voratun gauntlets of warbringing or whatever). I haven't played Bulwarks, Archers, or Arcane Blades, so can't comment much; if you want to play an Archer I'd recommend Temporal Warden if you've got them unlocked, they're really, really fun.

For Rogues I've heard Shadowblades are fun. I haven't done much with one myself. I'm fond of Marauders, because the evasion tank/bloodlust combo is just appealing to me. Particularly awesome with them is getting the steamroller prodigy and just bouncing around killing everything, it makes the endgame far less tedious. Rogues are pretty iffy. Really reliant on traps and stealth, which isn't really my idea of fun gameplay. And Skirmishers are supposed to be fun.

Necromancers are pretty straightforward Mage Pet/Blaster hybrids. I think my second or third win was one, but it was pretty one-note, I played only the blaster side. Archmages are crazy. Never played alchemist.

I've heard Wyrmics got buffed, they also seem to overwhelm with choices but could be fun. Lots of melee abilities coupled with breath attacks and movement abilities, but I've not played them enough to know how they work now.

Sun Paladins are my favorite class, they just have unbelievable offensive and defensive powers. Anorithils are super boring blaster mages, you fire same two spells the whole game. Avoid.

All Defiler classes are pretty fun, although I've only won with Doombringers. Doombringers are a melee class that's basically all about crazy fire damage and explosions. You hit stuff and it explodes. You teleport and explode. You get hurt, and you catch on fire to heal. It's a little over the top with the metal-ness but quite entertaining. Demonologists are a melee class about collecting demon souls to empower gear. This is a neat idea, but in practice they're a bump melee class that's not all that fun to play. Reavers are blight focused melee characters. They autoattack whenever they cast a spell, and have access to some of the disease and direct damage spells corruptors get. They're pretty powerful but very one-note in their damage output, and are super vulnerable to one specific enemy type as I alluded in a recent post. Corruptors are blight mages and are very powerful, but I got bored since it's mostly just spamming the same three spells and teleporting around.

Cursed were the #1 Goon class for a while. They're still popular, but I find them pretty hard to get started. Once you're rolling you have great damage output but mediocre to bad defenses, requires some serious resistances to survive the lategame. The biggest issue with Cursed is they mostly just bump attack things. Only a handful of combat options, it gets a bit bland. Everything I hear about Doomed is that they're hard to do well, but when done well they're pretty powerful. But then it seems like it's mostly getting shadow summons to randomly engage enemies, which seems pretty dull.

Chronomancers are both awesome now. Temporal Wardens are ranged/melee hybrids that get to be awesome at both, while having a very engaging resource mechanic that keeps you involved in combat because if you don't pay attention your evil clone might pop in and kill you. Paradox mages take the same resource to casting, with a lot of interplay between different spells that makes it possible to be tactical: For example, tethering together an enemy with high resistances and some mooks so you can fry the latter and have the damage bleed onto the tough one.

Psionics are pretty complicated, to the point I've never really gotten into them.

Velius fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Apr 10, 2015

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Velius posted:

Basically they're one of the hardest base enemy types in the game, on par with the harder orc casters or radiant horrors. The only base types I fear more are the frankly terrifying dreaming and nightmare horrors. You've never faced the worst tome can do until you've had Inner Demons and an evil dream clone of yourself come at you when you've already blown all your abilities trying to kill the horror before he makes them. I had to abandon an insane run because the Vor Armory had a boss nightmare horror camping the entrance with an evil clone of myself, right on top of the down stairs too.

Personally, I can face-smash entire groups of Radiant or Umbral Horrors without even thinking about it long before I reach the point where I'm comfortable taking on even a single Worm that Walks. Those fuckers are exceptionally nasty.

You're right that Dreaming Horrors are even worse, though.

HukHukHuk
Jun 27, 2011

I am the sound of cats and hairballs.
Brawler is fun simply because you can Zangief dudes super hard. Getting there can be challenging and I've always started as a Cornac so I can get Clinch at level 1, but slamming a dude so hard you wipe out a 5 radius in a single blow is addictive, saving stuff in the item vault might help with harder difficulties, but I haven't gotten that far to experience it myself. Gauntlets of the Steady Hand is a fun artifact that lets you slam dudes simply by punching them and probably the most fun I've ever had in the game.

Archer is pretty one note, but bow archers are a nice way to get started with the game with ranged attacks and very heavy armor.

HukHukHuk fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Apr 10, 2015

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Velius posted:

You seem like you're relatively new to the game.

Hey thanks for the info! I am pretty new, I just got the game during their recent sale and it has been terrific fun. I enjoy the 'bump' melee characters enough and I'm learning from my mistakes (I didn't use Warshout enough in my last game for sure), and while it's always disheartening to fully lose a character I keep coming back. I think I've most enjoyed summoner so far so I took a look at necromancer but that seems really complicated at this point. I'll try a brawler or a wyrmic. What's the best way to unlock skirmisher or time warden? I know for the latter you need the caldera open and that's a guarantee as a yeek, which I finally have, but they seem harder than average to get going.

WAMPA_STOMPA posted:

Well, what does that mean? The archmage has more different possible options than almost anyone. Archers are super boring though. TWs or skirmishers are better for ranged fun stuff. The DLC classes are great.

Unique for me means not usual. I'm sure the archmage has crazy potential but a wizard for me is standard RPG fare along with a knight, thief, and archer. That's what I meant. If I'm playing a game that offers stuff like an Oozemancer I'd rather play that than an archmage that falls into an archetype that I've seen many times before.

100YrsofAttitude fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Apr 10, 2015

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
If you think necromancers are complicated then the only uncomplicated classes are the starter classes (Berserker/Alchemist/etc.) and maybe Cursed. If you rule out everything more complex than that and anything that's "vanilla" in the aesthetic sense, then Summoner and Cursed are quite possibly the only classes left that meet your criteria.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

If you think necromancers are complicated then the only uncomplicated classes are the starter classes (Berserker/Alchemist/etc.) and maybe Cursed. If you rule out everything more complex than that and anything that's "vanilla" in the aesthetic sense, then Summoner and Cursed are quite possibly the only classes left that meet your criteria.

Probably why I enjoyed summoner so much haha. Wyrmics seem to be pretty hefty and good at surviving/healing themselves. If I can get to level 30 I'll be happy with this run.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Oh, to address your other question, here's a list of how to get all the unlocks: http://te4.org/wiki/Unlockables

Temporal Wardens don't require you to clear the Caldera, that's the Solipsist. For TWs, you have to clear the Temporal Rift dungeon in Daikara. It's consists of one somewhat dangerous level (easier with ranged attacks or teleports/leaps -- you get a nasty movement speed penalty) followed by a series of gimmicky bosses. You probably want to clear Daikara itself completely first, and getting a few more dungeons in first isn't a bad idea.

NuminaXLT
Nov 11, 2002
I'm having trouble installing on a laptop running Windows 7, downloaded the installer from the main site, but it doesn't seem to be installing. Been just sitting there for ~an hour. Tried running it as administrator but same thing, any ideas?

edit: NM went and downloaded the .zip and did manual install.

NuminaXLT fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Apr 10, 2015

Velius
Feb 27, 2001

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Probably why I enjoyed summoner so much haha. Wyrmics seem to be pretty hefty and good at surviving/healing themselves. If I can get to level 30 I'll be happy with this run.

If you're playing on normal the biggest advice for survival is very straightforward: Pay attention to status effects. Stun, confusion, blindness, and silence are the basic and common status effects, and of the bunch stun and silence are the most lethal. But stun is something 90% of the enemies in the game can do, whereas silence is pretty uncommon.

Never, ever fight anything while stunned. The reduced damage and move speed suck, but worse is that you don't cool down anything, which is lethal against anything remotely challenging. Many people carry a physical wild infusion the whole game just for stun removal. Get one with a 12 turn cool down. Don't get a mixed physical/whatever one because it will only purge one effect, and you want it to be stun.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

I got lucky with some of the armors and had pretty good immunity to most effects thankfully, on the other hand I don't know how effective it is use such detriments against the enemy. In most RPG's I never waste a turn confusing, poisoning, or putting to sleep an enemy if I can just attack it. Is there more benefit to those attacks in this game?

Also phase door or teleport? I've used phased door but I'm starting to find it doesn't put me far away enough from the danger.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

http://tometips.github.io/

Found this on the forums, quite a handy tool to have.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I got lucky with some of the armors and had pretty good immunity to most effects thankfully, on the other hand I don't know how effective it is use such detriments against the enemy. In most RPG's I never waste a turn confusing, poisoning, or putting to sleep an enemy if I can just attack it. Is there more benefit to those attacks in this game?

Also phase door or teleport? I've used phased door but I'm starting to find it doesn't put me far away enough from the danger.

As I said, status effects are deadly in Tome. Read the descriptions for more detail, but stun inflicts a 70% reduction in damage, halves movement speed, sets 4 random abilities on cool down and stops cool downs from expiring on all abilities. That is astonishingly disabling for you or the enemy.

For example, one of the biggest reasons to play a Marauder is access to two stun on hit combat abilities which together can keep an enemy stunned permanently. That means you maybe take a couple of weak ability hits before an enemy is just flailing ineffectually with no active abilities left.

Meanwhile, blindness makes enemies regularly target random squares instead of you. Confusion makes them fail at using talents or even attacking at all. I'd say the only questionable status effects are damage over time abilities with no other perks because most of the time you'll kill the enemies first.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
pretty sure stun doesnt do the slow anymore

Glidergun
Mar 4, 2007

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Most status effects in this game come as a rider on a damaging attack, and talents are powerful enough that 2-3 turns of getting hit by them can take you from "good condition" to "nearly dead," so being able to disable enemies is still really good even if you can kill things quickly. Stun is a big one to keep an eye out for, since it's hugely debilitating, but confuse and blind are pretty powerful, silence and disarm can effectively shut down spellcasting or weapon-based enemies pretty hard (respectively) though they're both rare, anything which inflicts %damage down or %chance of talent failure is worth using on tougher enemies, and there's probably a half-dozen other ones I'm not thinking of at the moment. You can check what the status effects do by inflicting them on an enemy, right-clicking on the enemy, inspecting it, and hovering your mouse over the status effect you want to examine.

Phase door is useful only if you can get a controlled version. CPD runes show up later in the game, or if you're using the talent version you can pump it to 5 points to get it controlled.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

What's a fun class/build if I want to actually hit things with psiblades?

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Avalerion posted:

Doomed work well with psiblades. Last time I played one the only two builds were really anti-magic with shadows and anti-magic without shadows. Either should work.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Avalerion posted:

Oozemancer.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos
I haven't played in a long while. Is there an OldRPG-like tileset for a recent version or is it pretty defunct by now?

Velius
Feb 27, 2001

Avalerion posted:

I just started an Oozemancer to do that. How much actual swinging you do depends on your playstyle, they don't really have (m)any on hit abilities at all, so I might try something else.

The actual melee + psi blades classes, that is, with actual combat abilities related to using the lightsabers would be Mindslayers, obviously, and Cursed. You could try and do Wyrmics too, but I'm not sure if their abilities wouldn't work while dual wielding, they have shield and 2 handed combat trees.

I tried several times to make a Marauder build work but to no avail, at least on nightmare. Too little synergy between will/cun weapons and the str/con/dex based abilities they get.

Voxx
Jul 28, 2009

I'll give 'em a hold
and a break to breathe
And if they can't play nice
I won't play with 'em at all
Any tips for transitioning from normal to nightmare? After dealing with random elites in T1 I get to T2 and get massacred still anyway. Do I need to go back to basics and have a 100% understanding of power/save mechanics rather than just "Yeah the numbers look good"?

Velius
Feb 27, 2001

Voxx posted:

Any tips for transitioning from normal to nightmare? After dealing with random elites in T1 I get to T2 and get massacred still anyway. Do I need to go back to basics and have a 100% understanding of power/save mechanics rather than just "Yeah the numbers look good"?

What's killing you?

Hard to know what to advise without details. Hardest thing is the first 5-10 levels, after that you start hopefully getting synergy in your build. Early on accuracy is pretty important, I almost always float 2-3 points in accuracy early if it's a melee class. Otherwise enemies on nightmare will have higher accuracy, more abilities, more spells and ranged abilities. Always engage where you can limit yourself to one enemy at a time, and try to always have a way out. But be careful of summons popping in behind you and cutting your retreat.

Aside from generalities just check enemies to see if they're rares, uniques or bosses. See what abilities they have, what sustains active, etc. Most Skirmishers will have Pace Yourself active, for example. Some of the most deadly enemies are just rare archers, Skirmishers, and Temporal Wardens, if you aren't paying attention and fat finger around.

Velius fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Apr 10, 2015

LtSmash
Dec 18, 2005

Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud we have become, and how blind.

-Sister Miriam Godwinson,
"We Must Dissent"

Avalerion posted:

I've heard rogue with psiblades is actually quite powerful if you manage to get it off the ground. Here is a character report for a 1.2.3 nm winner but I don't think relevant things have really changed much. I've kinda started working on one but its fairly rough starting out.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Voxx posted:

Try to stay at range, if your class doesn't have any early range attacks, get a mind blast torque or wand of destruction from a city. If you don't have a special starting area, make yourself Zigur-safe and zone right out to the world map. Check Zigur for a mind blast torque, and every other city for drownable rare citizens. Drown anyone special for exp and loot, then continue on with the newbie areas.

Try your hardest to get some form of Track, so you can see mob placement ahead of time. Put some planning into any encounter, and use your escape options before you're in trouble.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

jsoh posted:

pretty sure stun doesnt do the slow anymore

Stun still has the slow. You're probably thinking of back when it used to also literally stop you from moving.

WAMPA_STOMPA
Oct 21, 2010
I'm trying marauder in nightmare. I don't think the defense approach is viable, so I want to try armor, but the stat blend seems pretty tough. I need dex for most talents, cun for a few more, and strength for armor and some generics, plus all three of those are important for damage in one way or another. But I also really want con because of conditioning. I think at least one of these will need to be dealt with via stat items, but I don't know what stats to take and when.

edit: for Nightmare transition, I found that it is very important to learn kiting and fighting so that you only face 1 enemy at a time. I spent like 2 hours trying to get a cursed going, and I always died in Trollmire, but I learned a lot about how to hit and run and the importance of line of sight.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Nightmare really throws the power discrepancy between ranged classes (and especially mages) and everybody else into light. Corruptors, Archmages, Paradox Mages, even Oozemancers to a degree can basically play Nightmare like a slightly more cautious version of Normal, because they can achieve the same results offensively speaking while being exposed to danger for a much briefer period of time. Then you try a melee class and even with the ones that are still relatively strong on Nightmare, like Sun Paladins, you have to practically relearn the game.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
does taking level 5 (effective level 6.5) of demon seed do anything?

Velius
Feb 27, 2001

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Nightmare really throws the power discrepancy between ranged classes (and especially mages) and everybody else into light. Corruptors, Archmages, Paradox Mages, even Oozemancers to a degree can basically play Nightmare like a slightly more cautious version of Normal, because they can achieve the same results offensively speaking while being exposed to danger for a much briefer period of time. Then you try a melee class and even with the ones that are still relatively strong on Nightmare, like Sun Paladins, you have to practically relearn the game.

This is true, to a point. The trouble is enemies get tons of accuracy and defense, so especially early on melee classes really need levels in combat accuracy and armor to not die horribly. Add in the higher physical power of enemies, and how the most crippling negative status are inflicted through melee, and it's clear you need to be way more careful when you let enemies hit you. Casters get the edge because they can't miss and hit from range, but once you start facing rooms of tougher enemies it's hard to avoid getting hit.

Most of my higher difficulty winners have been hybrids with ranged and melee attacks like Sun Paladins, TWs. Even just sun ray is fantastic because it's a blind + damage ability. Rush is also almost necessary for Brawlers and Marauders since they need to get close fast.

Anyway tried a melee mindslayer and it wasn't that great. Only single target melee attacks means it'll lose steam later on, and the split damage types makes it hard to deal with the sort of resists you'll encounter. I will probably try a mindstar Marauder again with more experience with Insane now.

Zeerust
May 1, 2008

They must have guessed, once or twice - guessed and refused to believe - that everything, always, collectively, had been moving toward that purified shape latent in the sky, that shape of no surprise, no second chance, no return.
Isn't part of the point of the new Mindslayer that you can specialise in dealing a single type of damage, though? I've kind of given up on Nightmare so I never tried it there, but I had good fun on Normal with a melee MS focused entirely on physical damage.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001

Frankosity posted:

Isn't part of the point of the new Mindslayer that you can specialise in dealing a single type of damage, though? I've kind of given up on Nightmare so I never tried it there, but I had good fun on Normal with a melee MS focused entirely on physical damage.

I was trying to do a mindstar Mindslayer with mind damage, but aside from that one beam attack (mind sear?) they have zero active talents that do mind damage. Everything else is fire/physical/ice/lightning. If I wanted that combo I'd play a Wyrmic.

I'm going to try the mindstar Marauder thing again, going with heavy armor and a high willpower to counter fatigue. Plus, every randart necklace I've gotten in ages has the - fatigue property. I guess I'll find out if it suffices for Insane difficulty.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

Velius posted:

I was trying to do a mindstar Mindslayer with mind damage, but aside from that one beam attack (mind sear?) they have zero active talents that do mind damage. Everything else is fire/physical/ice/lightning. If I wanted that combo I'd play a Wyrmic.

I'm going to try the mindstar Marauder thing again, going with heavy armor and a high willpower to counter fatigue. Plus, every randart necklace I've gotten in ages has the - fatigue property. I guess I'll find out if it suffices for Insane difficulty.

If you want JUST mind damage you want a spellcaster - solipsist, to be specific.

Torokasi
Jan 13, 2011

Powered up to a level 2 super schmendrick.

ToxicFrog posted:

Don't you also miss out on the backup guardians after returning from the East, and potentially on escorts as well? Those are a much bigger deal.

This is from multiple pages back but it's an important misconception to correct, I think: escorts can now only show up in the first two standard (Trollmire, Kor'Pul, Norgos, Heart of the Forest, Rhaloren, Scint) t1 zones you do. They will not show up in further ones (if they do, bug report that poo poo), nor will they show up in any other starting zones. In addition, they only show up in the first two floors of Kor'Pul, Heart, and Rhaloren, and in the last two of Trollmire, Norgos, and Scint (2-3 out of 1-5 if you get the small version of Scint).

Myself, I still do all six, but I suspect I'll eventually skip to doing just Kor'Pul/Rhaloren and just ducking to the final room of Trollmire/Scint to pick up the backup guardians there. Norgos and Heart don't get backups, unless that's changed on me, so...

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."
- Thomas Hobbes, Leviathan

Torokasi posted:

This is from multiple pages back but it's an important misconception to correct, I think: escorts can now only show up in the first two standard (Trollmire, Kor'Pul, Norgos, Heart of the Forest, Rhaloren, Scint) t1 zones you do. They will not show up in further ones (if they do, bug report that poo poo), nor will they show up in any other starting zones. In addition, they only show up in the first two floors of Kor'Pul, Heart, and Rhaloren, and in the last two of Trollmire, Norgos, and Scint (2-3 out of 1-5 if you get the small version of Scint).

Myself, I still do all six, but I suspect I'll eventually skip to doing just Kor'Pul/Rhaloren and just ducking to the final room of Trollmire/Scint to pick up the backup guardians there. Norgos and Heart don't get backups, unless that's changed on me, so...

This poo poo is super useful and should go in the OP if true. Just sayin'.

FH_Meta
Feb 20, 2011
Well, I just had the best kill of a Dreaming Horror ever. It was a complete accident as I put up the reflection shield because I didn't want the skeleton archer to be a factor if the horror was just around the corner. It was, it slept me, and it got all the AOE and bolts reflected back on it.

EDIT: I guess this makes up for fat fingering and making a Crystaline Stralite Waraxe instead of a Crystaline Stralite Battleaxe.

FH_Meta fucked around with this message at 12:48 on Apr 13, 2015

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

This is too much fun. I burnt through a yeek archmage, so as to get a mindslayer, and it went so well I tempted to even go for the solipist seeing as they 100% gurantee spawn the Caldera. I got to level 20 but I was not prepared for that frailty.

I'm finally running a wyrmic with the auto-regen and it's pretty great never seeing my health drop. I managed to pick-up Bill Tree Trunk, but ideally I want to go sword/shield. When would be a good time to ditch it and for what damage ratio on the replacements? The tree does between 30-51. I've just finished T1 dungeons, easiest run I ever had there as of yet.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Don't just set regeneration on autopilot! If you use the ability that gives you a regen effect every time you receive a heal, and the one that gives you a fraction of a turn every time you regenerate, eventually you can use any instant-speed heal as a mini-Time Stop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

This game is bonkers. I'd of never thought that combining those two things would result in such an ability.

• Locked thread